PDA

View Full Version : The lady will have the linguini with clam sauce and a Coke, no ice.

OUDoc
2/15/2006, 01:06 PM
Student finds toilet water cleaner than ice at fast food restaurants

"My hypothesis was that the fast food restaurants’ ice would contain more bacteria that the fast food restaurants’ toilet water."

So Roberts set out to test her hypothesis, selecting five fast food restaurants, within a ten-mile radius of the University of South Florida.

Roberts says at each restaurant she flushed the toilet once, the used sterile gloves to gather samples.

Jasmine Roberts:
"Using the sterile beaker I scooped up some water and closed the lid."

Roberts also collected ice from soda fountains inside the five fast food restaurants. She also asked for cups of ice at the same restaurant's drive thru windows.

She tested the samples at a lab at the Moffitt Cancer Center where she volunteers with a USF professor. Roberts says the results did not surprise her.

Jasmine Roberts:
"I found that 70-percent of the time, the ice from the fast food restaurant's contain more bacteria than the fast food restaurant's toilet water."

Roberts' graph shows the toilet water, shown in red, had less bacteria in most cases than the ice inside shown in blue, and the ice from drive-through windows shown in green. Roberts' teacher says he wasn't surprised either.

Mark Danish, Honors Science Teacher:
"It does concern me and I think with any restaurant you have to think twice about what you may get there."

Roberts says she'll think twice before getting ice at fast food restaurants again.

Her project won the science fair at Benito Middle School, and she hopes to win the top prize at the Hillsborough County Regional Science and Engineering Fair, which starts Tuesday at the USF Sun Dome.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=25442

NormanPride
2/15/2006, 01:10 PM
In other news, Dasani releasing new line of water "Térlit"

Czar Soonerov
2/15/2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for posting that right before lunch. :eddie:

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 01:26 PM
What fast food joint has linguini with clam sauce, btw? ;)

ChickSoonerFan
2/15/2006, 01:34 PM
She hopes to win?

I would like to (or hate to :eek: ) see the project that tops that!

Octavian
2/15/2006, 01:37 PM

the always dissapointing Fazzoli's?

OUDoc
2/15/2006, 01:38 PM
Fazoli's maybe. (Octavian beat me to it.)

Probably not. I couldn't think of anything else. ;)

You're welcome, Czar. A little squeamish? :D

yermom
2/15/2006, 01:46 PM
yikes

i'm going to start bringing bottled water with me now :eek:

i wonder what made her think this, i'd bet she worked fast food somewhere ;)

RacerX
The health department doesn't inspect ice machines, or so I'm told.

SCOUT
She hopes to win?

I would like to (or hate to :eek: ) see the project that tops that!
It could be tough for her to win it. I hear there is a kid that made a working volcano out of paper mache that is pretty impressive. :)

RacerX
2/15/2006, 01:49 PM
Potato power plant!

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 01:49 PM
The health department doesn't inspect ice machines, or so I'm told.

I would hope they did. :eek:

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 01:50 PM
http://www.nytv.org/tv/KTRK2005008.jpg

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime intheicemachine!

yermom
maybe they will now...

1stTimeCaller
Does she say what kind of bacteria she found? I would think that could make a difference.

OUDoc
2/15/2006, 01:51 PM
I like how the article includes this picture, in case you're unclear about the toilet water.

http://www.tampabays10.com/assetpool/images/0547193740_bathroom_toilet.jpg

RacerX
2/15/2006, 01:54 PM
I would hope they did. :eek:
Does the health department show up to inspect the ice machine where you work?

I'm not implying you work in a restaraunt, I'm pointing out that many of the offices that we work in have ice machines....have you ever seen it get cleaned?

There are things that live in ice that can kill you, besides polar bears and orcas.

critical_phil
2/15/2006, 01:56 PM
Does she say what kind of bacteria she found? I would think that could make a difference.

that's what i was wondering........

while staph a. will make you sick, it probably didn't come from someone's hiney hole.

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 01:57 PM
Does the health department show up to inspect the ice machine where you work?

I'm not implying you work in a restaraunt, I'm pointing out that many of the offices that we work in have ice machines....have you ever seen it get cleaned?

The restaurants I worked in always ran bleach through the ice machines on a regular basis. We had health department requirements to abide by as well, like not leaving the scoop in the ice when you weren't using it.

EDIT: I know for a fact the Harris County (Houston) Health Department inspects ice machines or Marvin Zindler would be out of a job.

frankensooner
2/15/2006, 02:37 PM
Wasn't the reference from fast times?

OUDoc
2/15/2006, 02:47 PM
Wasn't the reference from fast times?
Yes. It was the only "no ice" reference I could think of.

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 02:54 PM
NM