PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Expansion Question

AlabamaSooner
2/14/2006, 11:48 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board. I've been reading for a while and decided that I wanted to get in on the fun. :) I was born and raised in Alabama so I'm naturally a huge Bama fan. I'm just as big of an OU fan as well and am currently a student at OU. I look forward to some awesome discussions. Ok, enough of the intro stuff....

I was thinking about the possibility of our next expansion project (whenever that might be). First, does everyone think that we would first fill in the south corners or build an end zone upperdeck? Second, which would you prefer? I realize that this is probably a long time away anyway, but just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this. Have a good one.

LoyalFan
2/14/2006, 11:52 PM
Yes.

GottaHavePride
2/15/2006, 12:03 AM
The coaches seem to like having the wind be a factor in the games, so I would guess we wouldn't mess with the south end zone for a while. We'd probably just put a deck around the rest of the north end.

yermom
2/15/2006, 12:25 AM
dude, shade over the North End Zone would kick ***

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/15/2006, 08:10 AM
i heard (just a rumor) that if we had won one of our last 2 n.c. games that the north end zone would have been filled in with an upper deck.

that's just what i heard, i don't have any verifiable source for that, but it seems to make sense to me.

Rhino
2/15/2006, 11:09 AM
It's been discussed here and elsewhere ad nauseam that filling in the south endzone just isnt feasible, but the north end zone upper deck is.

Desert Sapper
2/15/2006, 11:26 AM
I would like to see a North End Zone UD. I think we need to beat saxet's seating capacity (for their new expansion). I would like to see us rival Michigan and Penn State and have the only Big XII stadium in the 100K range. I would also like to see another NC or two.

AlabamaSooner
2/15/2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, the whole Texas expansion thing is what kinda got me thinking about all this. It's kinda nice to say stuff like, "Everything's bigger in Texas....except their stadium." :-p

NormanPride
2/15/2006, 11:35 AM
I personally don't care how big Texas' is. I just want freaking season tickets, dangit. And shade would be a huge plus. Do something like Washington's stadium...

Jason White's Third Knee
2/15/2006, 01:02 PM
i heard (just a rumor) that if we had won one of our last 2 n.c. games that the north end zone would have been filled in with an upper deck.

that's just what i heard, i don't have any verifiable source for that, but it seems to make sense to me.

Maybe next year then, huh?

Pricetag
2/15/2006, 01:53 PM
And shade would be a huge plus. Do something like Washington's stadium...
Heck no. Those things look horrible. I understand why they need them with all the rain in the Pacific Northwest, but we don't need them here.

Octavian
2/15/2006, 01:56 PM
Do something like Washington's stadium...

please no.

Octavian
2/15/2006, 01:58 PM
I would like to see a North End Zone UD. I think we need to beat saxet's seating capacity (for their new expansion). I would like to see us rival Michigan and Penn State and have the only Big XII stadium in the 100K range. I would also like to see another NC or two.

how bout a sandwich too? ;)

Desert Sapper
2/15/2006, 02:45 PM
how bout a sandwich too? ;)

A beer would be nice, too. With some chili cheese fries. And maybe an upgrade to the Schooner that includes Clydesdales and a real conestoga wagon. Oh, and the Rufneks carry double-barreled shotguns (just like real Sooners).

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 03:41 PM
According to jaux, I'm already sitting in the SF.com seats! :cool:

humblesooner
2/16/2006, 04:48 PM
Here's a thought. Add upper deck to the North EZ. Move all the South EZ to the new seating for one year. Raze the South EZ and build a new one that connects to the East and West side. The last expansion would be an upper deck on the South EZ.

fadada1
2/16/2006, 05:00 PM
conoco field.

OUstud
2/16/2006, 06:54 PM
I wish they would have made the E side match the W side...

But what they should do to close it in is to get rid of the W side upper deck and wrap around the E 2nd and 3rd decks, but keeping suites/club level seating out of the endzone (don't want to be Aggy here) and instead putting a big scoreboard between the 1st and 2nd levels, kind of like in Baltimore or Philly.

OUAndy1807
2/16/2006, 09:27 PM
The profiles of the two decks don't line up (not even close) so they couldn't make the deck wrap all the way around. Even if they could, they would have to demo about $10mil worth of new construction on the clocktower/fascade/fencing to make it work.

I wouldn't look for another expansion any time soon. Hell, the stadium wasn't even full for one game after the loss to TCU.

stoopified
2/17/2006, 11:29 AM
I don't care how we do it I want the biggest stadium in the Big 12.The rest is just details.

mrowl
2/17/2006, 01:18 PM
Joe C is on record as saying the next project would be a new press box. So, there is your answer.

owenfieldreams
2/18/2006, 09:24 AM
points relative to the issue, in no order of significance:

* Every home game in 2005 was sold out, regardless of the results of the TCU game. Last minute tickets only available from visitor returned tickets inventory, which were bought out before kickoff.

* Sooner lead Big 12 in number of season ticket holders & in % of attendees over capacity.....we're averaging over 84,000 in a venue listed @ an official capacity of 82,000 plus.

* There's a waiting list for season tickets of approximately 7000 applications, which average 3 tickets per request. In other words, there are apporximately 21,000 wanting to buy season tickets.

* The administration will make no decision to expand based on any need to be the "biggest" in the conference ( see T A&M ). The decision will be made based on the financial issues & supply & demand factors.

* There is an engineering problem with the south EZ. The cant of the south seats is different from the main stadium & given the considerable financial commitment to the south complex.....coaches offices, S&C facilities, the Switzer Center, etc., doing anything with the south is an R.O.I. problem.

* Decking the north EZ is the more likely scenario but the timetable for such an undertaking is predicated on all of the above.

* A factor that could excelerate the decision is the game in Dallas. If the contract is not renewed & it goes to home & home, I would expect our plans to expand to become a front burner issue.

OUAndy1807
2/18/2006, 09:52 AM
points relative to the issue, in no order of significance:

1) Every home game in 2005 was sold out, regardless of the results of the TCU game. Last minute tickets only available from visitor returned tickets inventory, which were bought out before kickoff.

2) There's a waiting list for season tickets of approximately 7000 applications, which average 3 tickets per request. In other words, there are apporximately 21,000 wanting to buy season tickets.

3) There is an engineering problem with the south EZ. The cant of the south seats is different from the main stadium & given the considerable financial commitment to the south complex.....coaches offices, S&C facilities, the Switzer Center, etc., doing anything with the south is an R.O.I. problem.

4) Decking the north EZ is the more likely scenario but the timetable for such an undertaking is predicated on all of the above.

1) They may be listed as sell-outs as far as ticket sales are concerns, but anyone who attended can tell you that that these games were not full.

2) A person could get tickets tomorrow if they were willing to donate. As you've eluded to in your post, an expansion is a financial decision to be made by the athletic department. They want donors, not just ticket purchasers.

3&4) both of these scenarios result in added seats, but not really any added donor seats (donors don't want to sit in the endzones.) I don't see how they could justify the projects given this, but who knows.

Desert Sapper
2/18/2006, 09:56 AM
Joe C is on record as saying the next project would be a new press box. So, there is your answer.

A new press box would be okay, but I want 100,000 seats. Make it happen.

mrowl
2/18/2006, 10:14 AM
1) They may be listed as sell-outs as far as ticket sales are concerns, but anyone who attended can tell you that that these games were not full.

2) A person could get tickets tomorrow if they were willing to donate. As you've eluded to in your post, an expansion is a financial decision to be made by the athletic department. They want donors, not just ticket purchasers.

3&4) both of these scenarios result in added seats, but not really any added donor seats (donors don't want to sit in the endzones.) I don't see how they could justify the projects given this, but who knows.

Andy, did anyone ever get an answer why the west side renovations were scrapped a couple years ago?

OUAndy1807
2/18/2006, 10:20 AM
the pressbox, field level bathrooms and concessions, etc...?

I don't know for sure, but I think some of it had to do with politics (they didn't want to go out and spend more money when the University was going through it's operating budget stuff), focus on spending the homeland security money (like for all the new cameras in the stadium) and with the fact that the upgrades scheduled to happen weren't really revenue producing items (this may just be me being cynical.) That being said, everything I've heard is that they plan on doing more phases in the near future, but I don't know what they will include.

OUstud
2/19/2006, 01:26 AM
As someone who has club level season tickets, I think those are kind of bad for a good home field advantage...a lot of people just sit inside and watch it on those widescreens or stand at the window and watch instead of sitting outside. Which is ridiculous. At least they don't care as much about standing as the folks in the S side of the W upper deck.

OUAndy1807
2/19/2006, 11:49 AM
As someone who has club level season tickets, I think those are kind of bad for a good home field advantage...a lot of people just sit inside and watch it on those widescreens or stand at the window and watch instead of sitting outside. Which is ridiculous. At least they don't care as much about standing as the folks in the S side of the W upper deck.

I agree. Also, it makes the atmosphere less like a college game and more like a pro game by introducing the feeling of the casual crowd.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/19/2006, 12:14 PM
The pressbox was substantially upgraded from its previous form in 2004.

OUAndy1807
2/19/2006, 01:17 PM
the interior definitely was, I think they're talking about doing something about the exterior

goingoneight
2/19/2006, 05:38 PM
fill it all in! I present to you-- the SOONER BOWL! :)

Okieflyer
2/19/2006, 05:40 PM
dude, shade over the North End Zone would kick ***

This is the route to go.

mrowl
2/20/2006, 09:37 AM

I don't know for sure, but I think some of it had to do with politics (they didn't want to go out and spend more money when the University was going through it's operating budget stuff), focus on spending the homeland security money (like for all the new cameras in the stadium) and with the fact that the upgrades scheduled to happen weren't really revenue producing items (this may just be me being cynical.) That being said, everything I've heard is that they plan on doing more phases in the near future, but I don't know what they will include.

yep, the bathrooms, concessions, etc... we kept hearing about it happening, but when it didn't, I don't remember a story why.

Taxman71
2/23/2006, 05:33 PM
The choice is obvious. Rather than worry about new roofs, bowls, etc., simply lower the field about 75 feet and create an entire new section of underground seats in the "pit" on Owen Field at Focker Memorial Stadium. It will be like Thunderdome.

OUAndy1807
2/24/2006, 12:39 AM
the "snake pit"

sooner518
2/24/2006, 01:15 AM
The choice is obvious. Rather than worry about new roofs, bowls, etc., simply lower the field about 75 feet and create an entire new section of underground seats in the "pit" on Owen Field at Focker Memorial Stadium. It will be like Thunderdome.
Owen Field is already really small. The players have a hard time fitting on the sideline. Lowering it would make it far too small

Desert Sapper
2/24/2006, 08:30 AM
fill it all in! I present to you-- the SOONER BOWL! :)

This might make an excellent fark thread.

Taxman71
2/24/2006, 09:53 AM
Owen Field is already really small. The players have a hard time fitting on the sideline. Lowering it would make it far too small

We could always install elevators and slides for the players and fireman poles for the pom dancers.

crimson&cream
2/24/2006, 10:18 AM

I really don't like being picky here, but as pet peeve I can't help myself. You use the word bathrooms, and I've yet to see " B A T H rooms" at the stadium, unless in the locker rooms,
so where could you take a "B A T H".? Hell even RESTROOMS are a misnomer as you don't go there primarily to rest.
Maybe a better word would be "RELIEFrooms" as you do go there to relieve yourself.
It's also like the use of the word "BATHING suit" instead of swimsuit, who puts on a "BATHING SUIT" to swim or bathe, usually a person wear's nothing to bathe.
Can't you just hear it---- Billy It's bath time go get your bathing suit on.! Or I'm going to go take a swim in the pool and since I have my "Bathing suit" on I might as well bathe while I'm at it. Where do you keep the hand soap out there by the pool.
I always shake my head when I see these words use this way.
You can tell FB season is over with this post.:) :D :confused: :) :D :confused: :eek: :) :D :O

Desert Sapper
2/24/2006, 10:27 AM
I really don't like being picky here, but as pet peeve I can't help myself. You use the word bathrooms, and I've yet to see " B A T H rooms" at the stadium, unless in the locker rooms,
so where could you take a "B A T H".? Hell even RESTROOMS are a misnomer as you don't go there primarily to rest.
Maybe a better word would be "RELIEFrooms" as you do go there to relieve yourself.
It's also like the use of the word "BATHING suit" instead of swimsuit, who puts on a "BATHING SUIT" to swim or bathe, usually a person wear's nothing to bathe.
Can't you just hear it---- Billy It's bath time go get your bathing suit on.! Or I'm going to go take a swim in the pool and since I have my "Bathing suit" on I might as well bathe while I'm at it. Where do you keep the hand soap out there by the pool.
I always shake my head when I see these words use this way.
You can tell FB season is over with this post.:) :D :confused: :) :D :confused: :eek: :) :D :O

How about Latrines? Or crapper? Or potty? As long as people understand you, who gives a s***?;)

crimson&cream
2/24/2006, 11:43 AM
How about Latrines? Or crapper? Or potty? As long as people understand you, who gives a s***?;)
I know people understand birdbrain:mad: as I qualified it all with it's only a pet peeve of mine,:O and I'll bet you have some pet peeves to that nobody cares about. I was being faceious and you didn't understand that----:( probably because maybe you have a brain like a BB in a Boxcar. I like RELEIF ROOM best.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Desert Sapper
2/24/2006, 03:19 PM
I know people understand birdbrain:mad: as I qualified it all with it's only a pet peeve of mine,:O and I'll bet you have some pet peeves to that nobody cares about. I was being faceious and you didn't understand that----:( probably because maybe you have a brain like a BB in a Boxcar. I like RELEIF ROOM best.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The nifty winky thing ;) should have given it away that I was just f***ing with you. Genius. :rolleyes:

And it's I before E except after C or when sounding like AY as in neighbor or weigh. Pfffft.

crimson&cream
2/24/2006, 06:37 PM
The nifty winky thing ;) should have given it away that I was just f***ing with you. Genius. :rolleyes:

And it's I before E except after C or when sounding like AY as in neighbor or weigh. Pfffft.
My laugh smileys should've told you I was just P****ing w/you and geez! did I mistype an i before e except after c etc Well just spank me OK!:texan:

NickZeppelin
2/24/2006, 07:08 PM
Owen Fields future

Now all we would need to do is add more to the top.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8951/thefuture9za.jpg

Desert Sapper
2/25/2006, 02:55 PM
My laugh smileys should've told you I was just P****ing w/you and geez! did I mistype an i before e except after c etc Well just spank me OK!:texan:

I laugh at you and your silly laugh smileys. Consider yourself spanked. :D

FlatheadSooner
2/25/2006, 03:41 PM
Owen Fields future

Now all we would need to do is add more to the top.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8951/thefuture9za.jpg

I like it. What would that put the capacity at - about 150,000?
;)