PDA

View Full Version : Curling-how many have sat and watched?

BudSooner
2/14/2006, 07:22 PM
:O Seriously?
I got up this morning and for some damned reason could not pull myself away...it was kinda funny watching those New Zealanders try and pull of a victory.

walkoffsooner
2/14/2006, 07:30 PM
Watching it right now I like it but I don't know why one of the Japan girls is kinda cute.

OKC Sooner
2/14/2006, 07:35 PM
Reminds me of bar shuffleboard, except it's bigger and on ice and I don't see any of them drinking beer. And it's got a bullseye. Other than that it's the same. Sort of.

49r
2/14/2006, 08:12 PM
It truly is the only thing worth watching in the winter olympics.

Bama/OU
2/14/2006, 08:32 PM
Is that where they sweep the ice while a big bowl slides slightly behind them?

Jerk
2/14/2006, 08:55 PM
Is that where they sweep the ice while a big bowl slides slightly behind them?

It'd be more fun to watch if the 'big bowl' had a live grenade inside of it.

Madd Dawg
2/14/2006, 08:58 PM
i watched a whole mens and about 8 rounds of the womens a couple days ago, i didnt realize they were nearly that long, but i was too addicted to leave for some reason.

C&CDean
2/14/2006, 09:04 PM
I sat in a Irish pub in Baltimore last night (The James Joyce) and watched some of the curling. Of course I had already consumed 4 Bass ales, and at least that many double shots of Tullamore Dew. Otherwise, I doubt I'd have watched it.

On a sidenote, get the mussells if you ever go to The James Joyce. They completely RMFO.

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:18 PM
I learned on Saturday morning during some of the NBC pre-Oly hype that the Brit team has some kind of special curling broom technology. Their hi-tech double secret brooms cost $40K EACH! Seriously. Anybody know how they're doing?

BajaOklahoma
2/14/2006, 09:24 PM
The rumor is that the brush has a temperature sensor on it and some sort of pressure sensor (PSI?) on it so they know how hard the brusher is working.
Some relationship between the colder the ice, the harder you have to brush to smooth the ice, I guess.

sooneron
2/14/2006, 09:29 PM
It's one of those sports that is sort of hypnotizing. You feel like you've barely watched it, then, bam! It's an hour later.

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:35 PM
The rumor is that the brush has a temperature sensor on it and some sort of pressure sensor (PSI?) on it so they know how hard the brusher is working.
Some relationship between the colder the ice, the harder you have to brush to smooth the ice, I guess.

Somehow that smells like cheating don't it? I mean, NASCAR sure wouldn't allow that sort of thing.;)

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 10:40 PM
why are some of you ingrates calling it a "big bowl"?? It's a 42 lb. chunk of granite called a "stone". geez.

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 10:42 PM
why are some of you ingrates calling it a "big bowl"?? It's a 42 lb. chunk of granite called a "stone". geez.

Looks like a squat grey teakettle to me, but what do I know?

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 10:45 PM
not much, apparently ;)

jrsooner
2/14/2006, 11:07 PM
Watched the whole thing so far....only one thing to say....our girl's team is the pits!!!!! 0-3????? And we still have two powerhouses left to play.

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, but they're hawt. We've discussed that already.

jrsooner
2/14/2006, 11:27 PM
Yeah, but they're hawt. We've discussed that already.Kari Erickson and her team was hot at the 2002 olympics and actually won games. Mack Brown could probably beat this year's team.

Penguin
2/14/2006, 11:59 PM
We were watching at work. Not a whole lot of work was being done. There's just something addictive about the game.

GottaHavePride
2/15/2006, 12:01 AM
Seriously, you think they'd set up a curling league at the Blazer's ice center? I wonder how much the stones cost?

LoyalFan
2/15/2006, 12:04 AM
Watched the whole thing so far....only one thing to say....our girl's team is the pits!!!!! 0-3????? And we still have two powerhouses left to play.

Well, they're gonna make great maids someday...sweepity, sweepity.

LF

proud gonzo
2/15/2006, 12:33 AM
Seriously, you think they'd set up a curling league at the Blazer's ice center? I wonder how much the stones cost?

probably a lot :eek:

silverwheels
2/15/2006, 12:38 AM
I love watching curling. It seems like the dumbest thing ever but when you actually watch it, it's a lot of fun.

And I want to procreate with Cassie Johnson from our Women's team. Definitely.

GottaHavePride
2/15/2006, 01:01 AM
I wonder how much the stones cost?

I found one place online that sells a full set of 16 for $8500. Holy crap.

proud gonzo
2/15/2006, 01:09 AM
that's actually less than I was expecting :D

jrsooner
2/15/2006, 06:16 AM
I found one place online that sells a full set of 16 for $8500. Holy crap.It used to be (20+ years) that you could only get the stones from one place in Scotland (?). They have a quarry there that furnished all the granite. From what it appears online more companies are now furnishing them. But they are still far from cheap. On the other hand, they usually last for a looong time.

jrsooner
2/15/2006, 06:19 AM
There's just something addictive about the game.When I first started playing, I thought it was the silliest thing around, but alot of the kids were playing it after school that I knew. I joined the league, and have loved the game since. Definately a strategy game and a game of skill. My wife now calls me a "armchair skip" after all my comments so far this week.

AlbqSooner
2/15/2006, 08:03 AM
After the last Winter Olympics a couple of Canadian ex-patriates opened a curling arena and started a league in Bradenton, FL. I keed you not!

Played a lot of horsecollar (the bar version of shuffleboard) at Arnie's in Tulsa when I was in law school. That may be the reason I don't know the answer to Homey's question about Amelia. I do know however, that if you tried to brush the sliding surface at Arnie's you would be tossed to the curb.

HoserSooner
2/15/2006, 09:01 AM
For those that aren't sure of all the rules associated with the game, there is a link half-way down the page (Sport Explainer) that gives a pretty good explanation.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sports/curling/

TopDaugIn2000
2/15/2006, 09:41 AM
I love watching curling. Who knew that brooms and ice could be so entertaining?!?!?!

Jimminy Crimson
2/15/2006, 12:22 PM
There should be an obligatory Cassie Johnson reference in every curling thread. She rocks my pants off! :D

NormanPride
2/15/2006, 12:29 PM
On the other hand, they usually last for a looong time.

Those things better have a lifetime warranty, or I'm ****ed. I mean, it's a freaking rock with a handle. A ROCK.

TopDaugIn2000
2/15/2006, 03:03 PM
curling article (http://www.slate.com/id/2136002/entry/2136339/)

NormanPride
2/15/2006, 03:12 PM
It was frustrating watching the US-Japan match, because they were all pretty cute, but I was fixing Valentine's Day dinner for badger. I'm just glad she was interested in it as well.

jrsooner
2/15/2006, 06:39 PM
Those things better have a lifetime warranty, or I'm ****ed. I mean, it's a freaking rock with a handle. A ROCK.They do chip after awhile then you need to replace them. It's important to have the rock as smooth as possible on the bottom and the sides.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2006, 07:27 PM
Curling really is pretty exciting actually. Something about the broom motion being hypnotic. I don't know, but I'd like to try it sometime.