PDA

View Full Version : Scott Stapp marries, goes to jail

Rhino
2/14/2006, 03:33 PM
Scott Stapp Gets Married, Arrested (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060213/en_music_eo/18343)

For Scott Stapp, the honeymoon was over before it even began.

Hours after the former Creed frontman tied the knot with beauty queen Jaclyn Nesheiwat in Miami on Friday, the rocker was rung up for public intoxication in Los Angeles.

Stapp, en route to his Hawaiian honeymoon, was stopped from boarding a plane at Los Angeles International Airport Saturday after airline personnel deemed the rocker "antagonistic" and "boisterous."

A spokesman for the airport police, Lieutenant Tyrone Stallings, said the rocker was arrested on suspicion of being drunk in a public place and taken to the Van Nuys station for processing.

According to TMZ.com, which first reported the incident, Stapp demanded a blood-alcohol test at the station, where he registered a 0.18--twice the legal limit.

Stapp, 32, eventually was freed and ordered to report for arraignment on Mar. 8.

There was no immediate comment from his publicist on the arrest--or the nuptials.

What we do know is the singer married Nesheiwat, a 25-year-old former Miss New York 2004, on Friday.

People magazine reported the couple swapped vows at the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, a European-inspired estate on the city's Biscayne Bay.

Nesheiwat donned a Vera Wang bridal number and walked down a 65-foot-long rose-petal-covered aisle. Stapp's seven-year-old son, Jagger, served as best man, per People.

It was the first trip down the aisle for Nesheiwat and the second for Stapp. He was previously married to Hillaree Burns for 16 months before divorcing in 1999. Stapp retained sole custody of their only child, Jagger.

The two newlyweds met in January 2005 at a fundraising gala for the Muscular Dystrophy Association in New York and got engaged late last year. Stapp issued a press release last month touting the engagement and announcing that Nesheiwat had taken a position as director of public affairs for the Scott Stapp Foundation, an organization aimed at promoting healthy parent-child relationships.

For his part, Stapp definitely has a handle on unhealthy relationships. Aside from his tempestuous first marriage, Stapp's sobriety-challenged behavior led to the collapse of Creed in 2004 and a well publicized bar fight between the singer and members of 311 last Thanksgiving.

On the 311 Website, drummer Chad Sexton claimed an allegedly intoxicated Stapp made a "disrespectful and crude remark" to a bandmate's wife, then "sucker-punched" Sexton.

Stapp admitted to Rolling Stone that he entered rehab shortly after the fight. He also said that he was so disgusted by his booze and pill habit that he nearly killed himself following Creed's disastrous 2003 Weathered tour. (The tour, which turned out to be the band's last, was capped by a lawsuit filed by a group of Chicago fans who demanded their money back because Stapp "was so intoxicated and/or medicated that he was unable to sing the lyrics of a single Creed song.")

Stapp's debut solo album, The Great Divide, was released in November to little fanfare and even fewer sales--it opened at number 19 with 94,000 copies, a far cry from his dominating days with Creed, which sold more than 30 million albums worldwide.

Regardless, Stapp will be cutting short his already truncated honeymoon to hit the road once more. He kicks off a club tour Feb. 23 in his hometown of Orlando. The trek wraps up Mar. 18 in Phoenix.

Fugue
2/14/2006, 03:34 PM
dude continues to step in it.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2006, 03:34 PM
That dude is a jackass of the highest order.

JohnnyMack
2/14/2006, 03:35 PM
Stapp, en route to his Hawaiian honeymoon, was stopped from boarding a plane at Los Angeles International Airport Saturday after airline personnel deemed the rocker "antagonistic" and "boisterous."

Just cause the dude don't believe in God they arrest him? That seems like BS to me.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 03:36 PM
According to TMZ.com, which first reported the incident, Stapp demanded a blood-alcohol test at the station, where he registered a 0.18--twice the legal limit.

Doesn't the "legal limit" only apply if you're driving? Like, you can get arrested for walking under the influence?

:confused:

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 03:37 PM
Just cause the dude don't believe in God they arrest him? That seems like BS to me.

Isn't Creed a Christian Rock crossover group?

Beef
2/14/2006, 03:39 PM
Doesn't the "legal limit" only apply if you're driving? Like, you can get arrested for walking under the influence?

Public intox.

1stTimeCaller
2/14/2006, 03:44 PM
I had a State Trooper that was in my Guard unit tell me that to be cited for public intoxication in Oklahoma you just have to have the smell of alcohol on or about your person.

whatever the F that means.

Can anyone confirm that?

GDC
2/14/2006, 03:45 PM
Wow, a rock star ****ing up with drugs and/or alcohol, that's a first.:rolleyes:

crawfish
2/14/2006, 03:45 PM
Isn't Creed a Christian Rock crossover group?

Swoosh, right over the head. ;)

GDC
2/14/2006, 03:47 PM

I can personally attest to at least three countries where they will put you in jail for this.

Jerk
2/14/2006, 03:57 PM
Well, poor dude, he ain't the model Christian.

But neither am I, nor anyone else on this earth.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 03:59 PM
Public intox.

Oh, right. I wouldn't know about that.

critical_phil
2/14/2006, 04:12 PM
I had a State Trooper that was in my Guard unit tell me that to be cited for public intoxication in Oklahoma you just have to have the smell of alcohol on or about your person.

Can anyone confirm that?

:O

Oldnslo
2/14/2006, 04:21 PM
The odor of alcoholic beverage on your person gives the police officer probable cause to arrest for <fill in the blank of alcohol-related offense>.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 04:27 PM
The odor of alcoholic beverage on your person gives the police officer probable cause to arrest for <fill in the blank of alcohol-related offense>.

Why is public intoxication--as long as you aren't causing trouble--illegal? There's isn't the same imminent danger to others like with DUI.

1stTimeCaller
2/14/2006, 04:50 PM
Why is public intoxication--as long as you aren't causing trouble--illegal? There's isn't the same imminent danger to others like with DUI.

99% of the time they won't cite you for that unless you are being an ******* or riding in a car with someone that is arrested for a DUI.

Taxman71
2/14/2006, 05:28 PM
Were his arms wide open when they arrested him?

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 05:31 PM
99% of the time they won't cite you for that unless you are being an ******* or riding in a car with someone that is arrested for a DUI.

You can get in trouble for riding while intoxicated? If you can't walk and you can't drive how are you supposed to get home from the bar?

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 05:32 PM

Can anyone confirm that?

If anyone smells my person, I'll knock 'em the F out! :mack:

1stTimeCaller
2/14/2006, 05:35 PM
You can get in trouble for riding while intoxicated? If you can't walk and you can't drive how are you supposed to get home from the bar?

never made much sense to me but I've had a few friends get PIs that way. One guy had to spend the entire weekend in jail because it happened in Chickasha and in Grady County you the Judge has to set your bail and he doesn't work weekends.

I've also heard that you can get them while inside the bar. I've never seen that happen nor do I have any friends that have received them that way but a Norman police officer or a Trooper told me that, I think.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 05:36 PM
I've also heard that you can get them while inside the bar. I've never seen that happen nor do I have any friends that have received them that way but a Norman police officer or a Trooper told me that, I think.

I'm glad I only drink at work.

yermom
2/14/2006, 05:37 PM
a buddy of mine once had to pick up another buddy when a third buddy got a DUI otherwise he was going to get a PI

critical_phil
2/14/2006, 05:40 PM
I've also heard that you can get them while inside the bar.

:O

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 06:16 PM
a buddy of mine once had to pick up another buddy when a third buddy got a DUI otherwise he was going to get a PI

Did this happen at a ATO party at IUPUI? ;)

royalfan5
2/14/2006, 08:55 PM
Wow, you Okies are draconian with your booze laws. Also, how dumb do you have be to marry Scott Stapp?

GDC
2/14/2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, we tend to get pretty stoked about it.

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 11:13 PM
I don't want to be drunk in publick. I want to be drunk in a bar! Which is perfectly legal. They THREW me into publick. Arrest them.

apusooner
2/15/2006, 02:22 AM
Last I heard, it's technically illegal to actually get drunk at a bar in OK. It's the bartender's responsibility, so you could sue the bar for getting you drunk in the first place.

GDC
2/15/2006, 08:36 AM
Randomly punching people through their car windows as they cruise through Sonic is a sure way to spend the night in the hoosegow for public drunk, or worse.:O