PDA

View Full Version : So My Wife Wants To Move

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 12:44 AM
& my job will allow to live just about anywhere in Oklahoma or north Texas. We're both from small towns so if we do, it will be to a smaller town. She wants our girls to play basketball...She played & started throughout her school years.

She's found a school where the basketball's good, the reading & math scores are at 100%. It's a small town & everything sounds good but...

It's Dover...The Dover Longhorns. :mack: I told her to forget it, period. Ain't no way I'm ever making that stupid hand sign, let alone wear a shirt or cap with that crappy logo on it. She said I was petty. I said I'd let the board decide.

critical_phil
2/14/2006, 12:47 AM
why subject the kids to ben dover jokes?

blanchard. ywia.

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 12:47 AM
I'm gonna side with you in this.

I could understand, possibly, if you or the wifey grew up and gradiated from ol' Dover. But if you have no connection to the town, that's a good enough reason to stay away.

There are plenty of other towns in Oklahoma.

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 12:48 AM
I say....No Way

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 12:48 AM
I'd suggest something like Piedmont or Cashion or Deer Creek.

I think Jones is another whorn school.

C&CDean
2/14/2006, 12:50 AM
I'd suggest something like Piedmont or Cashion or Deer Creek.

I think Jones is another whorn school.

When Lex went up to play Jones in football this year I almost puked. Their colors are green and something, but there's a huge longhorn at the 50. I told my kid to make sure he rubbed some butt juice on that longhorn if he got tackled anywhere close.

sanantoniosooner
2/14/2006, 12:52 AM
I told my kid to make sure he rubbed some butt juice on that longhorn if he got tackled anywhere close.
From the hand, or was he supposed to scoot like a cat?

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 12:54 AM
Oh, and they're a class B school...meaning no football.

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 12:55 AM
Oh, and they're a class B school...meaning no football.

yeah, that sucks. i'd avoid it.

if you want a town that small, find one with 8 man ball. thats supposed to be fun to watch.

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 12:56 AM
I suggested Washington, well, 'cause I went there, & we're across the street from their school district.

Well, her coach (while @ Byng) is now the Washington coach, & she says he's a real butthole.

SOONER44EVER
2/14/2006, 01:21 AM
Piedmont and Deer Creek aren't small schools any more. I don't know about Cashion. Cashion does have a huge gym though.

Tailwind
2/14/2006, 01:29 AM
Do your girls want to play basketball? Either way, I'd have to vote no.

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah, both girls have expressed interest in basketball & softball. I'm up for a move since I've lived in or around Norman for my whole 37 years.

Norman's a great town, but the chances are a whole lot better for the girls getting some PT at a smaller school.

Tailwind
2/14/2006, 01:39 AM
Ask her to keep researching then. There's gotta be something better out there. :D

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 01:40 AM
Morrison usually have good sports programs

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 01:43 AM
Ask her to keep researching then. There's gotta be something better out there. :D

Exactly. The thought of seeing my two little darling girls acting like tea sips makes me shudder. :D

Tailwind
2/14/2006, 01:49 AM
Yeah, I can imagine your pain. Parenting can be so trying sometimes.

swardboy
2/14/2006, 06:56 AM
Why don't you take a looksey at SW Missouri...Joplin is thriving right now, but nearby Carl Junction has really good girl's sports of all kinds. The BB team is up and coming in a great way. Small town, close to Oklahomey, I-44 corridor, I've enjoyed coming back home here.

walkoffsooner
2/14/2006, 07:09 AM
They better be good ball player's if you go to Dover or you can watch them set on bench player's coming in all the time.

TUSooner
2/14/2006, 07:12 AM
Do you have to go with her?

BajaOklahoma
2/14/2006, 08:32 PM
Basketball and softball are very big down here. Particularly at the club level. That can be as serious as you want ...... and expensive. high school is serious stuff, with varsity and jv available.
There are some very good small towns in Collin County. Good schools.
And more Sooners arriving here every day. :)
In fact, my principal is going to thank all of the kids tomorrow morning for wearing Sooner Red today. You should be able to hear the groans about 7:48 AM.

royalfan5
2/14/2006, 09:15 PM
8-man football is very fun to watch and play. Also, there are schools that don't bother to field a football team in Ok? Do they raise the kids to be communists in those schools or something. Everyschool that has a male population either has their own football team or a co-op in Nebraska.

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:22 PM
Give Plainview schools a look. They are just on the western edge of Ardmore. Plus, I think they play the Lone Grove Longhorns so you'd get to hate Longhorns that wear black and white as well as baby vomit orange and white,

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 09:30 PM
I've always wanted to move to south central Oklahoma. Texoma's there & I've always liked the area. I IM'd this thread to my wife last night. So far, she's not amused. :D

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:38 PM
I've always wanted to move to south central Oklahoma. Texoma's there & I've always liked the area. I IM'd this thread to my wife last night. So far, she's not amused. :D

linky,

http://www.plainview.k12.ok.us/

also,

For each of the five (5) years the API has been in place, Plainview Schools have scored in the top ten school districts in Oklahoma’s 541 Districts. For the 2005 school year, Plainview School District reached its highest API ranking, achieving 2nd in the state with a score of 1410 out of 1500. Deercreek School District in Edmond was the only school scoring higher than Plainview School District in the overall category.

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 09:40 PM
cool Homey, I'll IM it to her. (No cell service out here, but wireless internet...go figure.)

william_brasky
2/14/2006, 09:47 PM
Morrison usually have good sports programs

that town's right by Stillwater. :eddie:

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:48 PM
cool Homey, I'll IM it to her. (No cell service out here, but wireless internet...go figure.)

If you have any particular questions about Plainview, peem me and I'll ask my sis. She's an elementary school teacher in that system. Also, cost-of-living is very attractive in Ardmore. As you know halfway between DFW and OKC via I-35 is pretty cool too.

william_brasky
2/14/2006, 09:51 PM
linky,

http://www.plainview.k12.ok.us/

also,

For each of the five (5) years the API has been in place, Plainview Schools have scored in the top ten school districts in Oklahoma’s 541 Districts. For the 2005 school year, Plainview School District reached its highest API ranking, achieving 2nd in the state with a score of 1410 out of 1500. Deercreek School District in Edmond was the only school scoring higher than Plainview School District in the overall category.

I hear the sunsets are pretty average there.

Get it. Plain. View.

I'm so stupid.

Okla-homey
2/14/2006, 09:57 PM
I hear the sunsets are pretty average there.

Get it. Plain. View.

I'm so stupid.

Yep, that's the downside. Pretty boring in a rural, whitebread, non-violent, hunting and fishing, high-achieving sorta way.

Upside is if any of the kids decide they'd rather go to work than finish high school, they can always roll over to the local Michelin plant and toss tires around for the rest of their working lives.;)

OU-HSV
2/14/2006, 09:59 PM
no way, don't do it...and don't move to Inola, Oklahoma either cause they're mascot is the same of which you spoke of earlier in this thread (it's Tuesday or I'd say it)

MamaMia
2/14/2006, 10:05 PM
My dad is a Longhorn. I became a Sooner because he made the choice to raise me in Oklahoma. My friends were Sooner fans, the girls on my softball team and girl scout troop were Sooners and we all ended up counting the days until we were walking the halls at the University of Oklahoma. There was nothing he could do or say. It was hopeless. He still suffers over this every October. I gave birth to 4 Sooners who call him Grandpa. I'm just sayin'.

william_brasky
2/14/2006, 10:26 PM
What about the town of Paoli? Their mascot is the Pugs I do believe. Those dogs are crazy. I have heard that everyone in Paoli has to be inside by dark. Packs of wild and crazed pugs roam the streets.

PhxSooner
2/14/2006, 10:33 PM
I've got nothing to add, since I wouldn't suggest coming out here...but I really like the thought of crazed pugs in the street.

And no to any longhorn of any kind. I was screaming because we had just beat Texas in Bball, and my Arizona born-and-bred son yelled, "Yea! I hate Texas!":) He may not live in Oklahoma, but by golly, he's gonna be raised a Sooner.

IB4OU2
2/14/2006, 10:37 PM
We live in a little town called Perkins (Population @2500) and it's a great town even though its about 12 miles south of Stoolwater there are a bunch of Sooner fans here and we have a really good school system (with all the sports for girls), a really nice Main street and quaint small town atmosphere. The golf course here is really nice (Cimarron Trails) and there alot of deer and wildlife around if you're into hunting. I used to live in midtown Tulsa but I've found this town to be a quiet/pleasant change. Hairy (OU4Life) lives here too.

Sooner_Bob
2/14/2006, 10:52 PM
I suggested Washington, well, 'cause I went there, & we're across the street from their school district.

Well, her coach (while @ Byng) is now the Washington coach, & she says he's a real butthole.

You mean you don't like Rocky Clark? :D

When did your wife play at Byng? I played against them, and my wife and her two sisters played against them.

We played against Washington too . . . :cool:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/14/2006, 11:01 PM
Byng.

MamaMia
2/15/2006, 10:38 AM
Woodward has a good girls basketball team and a great coach. Kayla Bowers played for us. She was the 16th best prep player in the nation. The horns got her. She scored the winning points in a game against the Sooners last season. Too bad Sherri doesnt recruit out of here. The horns are looking at 3 other girls from here as well. Woodward High School won the Oklahoma state championship game in Kaylas sophomore year.

achiro
2/15/2006, 11:26 AM
When you say smaller town, you really meant SMALLER. I mean really, Dover is a hole. Have you been there? It use to be even worse before the tornado went through if you can imagine that.
My wife and I have had a similar discussion several times. We both went to Miami High(OKlahoma). Its a moderate sized school and IMO about the perfect size. There are huge downsides to huge schools(lost in the crowd) and huge downsides to tiny schools(very limited extracurricular activies). I am not recommending Miami as I have no idea how it has changed in the years since I was there but might be worth looking into. There are lots of towns of similar size in this State.

SoonerBorn68
2/15/2006, 11:41 AM
You mean you don't like Rocky Clark? :D

When did your wife play at Byng? I played against them, and my wife and her two sisters played against them.

We played against Washington too . . . :cool:

Byng, Byng, Byng, Byng Byng! She went there in the early 90's & I don't think she's had one good thing to say about the guy. :D I personally don't have anything against him since I've never met him. All I know is that the Washington girls have been ranked #1 or close since he got there.

SoonerBorn68
2/15/2006, 11:49 AM
When you say smaller town, you really meant SMALLER. I mean really, Dover is a hole. Have you been there? It use to be even worse before the tornado went through if you can imagine that.
My wife and I have had a similar discussion several times. We both went to Miami High(OKlahoma). Its a moderate sized school and IMO about the perfect size. There are huge downsides to huge schools(lost in the crowd) and huge downsides to tiny schools(very limited extracurricular activies)..

Yeah, we've been though there a couple of times on the way to Enid, for, you guessed it, to watch high school BB. She fell in love with Kingfisher with all the cool old houses, but she just wants to live out in the country with a moderate sized town (meaning Super Walmart :D) within striking distance.

We've discussed moving several times. I personally have never lived more than 35 miles from the Norman hospital where I was born. I'd like to get my own place out in the country...say about 20 acres with a pond & such, but at the same time I want my kids to have the advantage seeing how the world works & there's not that kind of exposure in a small town. I found out I was very naive and protected at Washington.

mdklatt
2/15/2006, 12:33 PM
It's Dover...The Dover Longhorns. :mack:

Dover, Oklahoma? No way in hell should a school in Oklahoma have a Longorn mascot. I'll go as far as saying there oughta be a law--and I'm a libertarian!

My sister grduated as a Cedar Hill (TX) Longhorn. The "hook 'em"..."I've Been Working on the Railroad"...everything but burnt orange. I went to a football game once with her. It was miserable. Thankfully they didn't do any of that nonsense at her soccer games. She's been a big OU fan ever since I went here, so she was deeply conflicted. Now I think she's rightfully ashamed of her Longhorn past.

Echoes
2/15/2006, 12:36 PM
Dover does have a superb girls basketball team man, and the people I know from there are pretty nice... just fyi