PDA

View Full Version : High School Homework

Howzit
2/13/2006, 10:47 PM
Man! Howzit Jr is a freshman this year, and I cannot believe how much homework she has. I would say she averages 3 hours nightly, 4 is not uncommon, and she has been up until 11:30 working on projects several times.

Saturdays are pretty much a day off, but then she has to do homework most of Sunday to make up for it. I don't think I worked this hard in college.

Is this normal? Baja, I think you have/had girls in Texas school system, were they loaded down ALL THE TIME?

Al Gore
2/13/2006, 10:52 PM
I don't think I worked this hard in college.
They take it easy on the "special" kids like you Howzit....

Okla-homey
2/13/2006, 10:52 PM
Man! Howzit Jr is a freshman this year, and I cannot believe how much homework she has. I would say she averages 3 hours nightly, 4 is not uncommon, and she has been up until 11:30 working on projects several times.

Saturdays are pretty much a day off, but then she has to do homework most of Sunday to make up for it. I don't think I worked this hard in college.

Is this normal? Baja, I think you have/had girls in Texas school system, were they loaded down ALL THE TIME?

Sometimes kids say they got a bunch of homework to avoid chores/unpleasant tasks and such...at least I did.

Also, goofing-off on innerweb can easily be concealed as "working on homework" or "studying." I still do that sometimes.;)

just saying.

Howzit
2/13/2006, 10:57 PM
Sometimes kids say they got a bunch of homework to avoid chores/unpleasant tasks and such...at least I did.

Also, goofing-off on innerweb can easily be concealed as "working on homework" or "studying." I still do that sometimes.;)

just saying.

It's not up on teh innerweb. It's down on the kitchen table, and the math homework is with me watching over her shoulder and checking work.

Man, I'm telling you she is bogged down. Thankfully she quit gymnastics at the start of this year, there is no way she could do this load and be in the gym 15 to 18 hours a week in addition.

Howzit
2/13/2006, 11:01 PM
They take it easy on the "special" kids like you Howzit....

:mad:

yermom
2/13/2006, 11:08 PM
if i had been doing homework in HS i probably would have been that busy :O

Okla-homey
2/13/2006, 11:12 PM
It's not up on teh innerweb. It's down on the kitchen table, and the math homework is with me watching over her shoulder and checking work.

Man, I'm telling you she is bogged down. Thankfully she quit gymnastics at the start of this year, there is no way she could do this load and be in the gym 15 to 18 hours a week in addition.

Then, in that case, I'd say her teachers are cheezing off on their responsibility to teach the material in the classroom and relying on ol'Howzit to carry the mail, as it were.

I know, before the teachers jump my case, a certain amount of homework is beneficial, reinforces classroom work and all that...but sounds like this is over the top. I can't imagine why a ninth grader regularly has 3-4 hours of homework a night otherwise.

IronSooner
2/13/2006, 11:12 PM
I'm trying to block most of that out. I think I probably only did 2-3 hours a night. Sounds like a cakewalk these days. I don't remember really having to be ridiculously busy till Jr/Sr year with APs.

Rhino
2/13/2006, 11:13 PM
When a kid has an overabundance of homework, usually they're goofing off and not finishing it during school hours.

Then again, I remember having a lot of homework during my freshman and sophomore years of hikes cool.

crawfish
2/13/2006, 11:18 PM
I'm going through the same thing with my 7th grader. He's in a charter school this year and they're piling the homework on. In fact, I'm up right now helping him finish a project.

Okla-homey
2/13/2006, 11:18 PM
I generally took the approach in HS that it's only a lot of homework if you do it.

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2006, 11:37 PM

Two boys and a girl survived the Freshman Nightmare. For whatever reason, the freshman year is the worst homework-wise. And the stupid group projects - somehow my kids get the irresponsible partners, so guess who did most of the projects? I know the idea is that they need to learn to work with others like they will have to do in the real, but please!
The theory of homework is for each hour of classroom, there are two hours of homework. It is worse if they are taking advance level classes, which mine did. Blech. And this is during the period of their life when they actually need more sleep than they are able to get.
My kids were lucky enough to have block scheduling for their freshman and sophomore years. On "A" days, they had 4 classes of 90 minutes each. The next day was a "B" day and they had 4 more classes. They all loved it and did help a tiny bit in that you had an extra day to get projects done - but usually they were bigger projects. The senior high (11th and 12th grades) had a traditional 7 period day.
This is her opportunity to learn to budget time and get organized in a manner that works for her. Good luck. Only 12 weeks or so left in the year......

oumartin
2/13/2006, 11:37 PM
my theory is they put way to much on kids from a very young age. I think thats why you see more kids snap these days then when we were in school

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2006, 11:54 PM
my theory is they put way to much on kids from a very young age. I think thats why you see more kids snap these days then when we were in school

There is so much more to learn than when I was in school (the dark ages). They spend KN through 2nd learning the basics - letters, numbers, sounds, reading, math. Then in 3rd through 5th they are building on how to learn - reading for comprehension, learning where to look for info, writing, etc.
For the most part, the average kid can do the work assigned for their grade level.
Our school is one of the top elementary schools in the state of whorns. Our kids succeed because we have high expections and the teachers work hard with the kids to bring them up to speed.

Jimminy Crimson
2/13/2006, 11:58 PM
Stanley would be more than willing to help her. ;)

Penguin
2/13/2006, 11:58 PM
I remember being assigned lots of homework. I also remember blowing off at least half of it. I was never shooting for straight A's and homework rarely made up more than 20% of a course's final grade. Why sweat the small stuff?

proud gonzo
2/13/2006, 11:59 PM

what?? you can take the minimum requirements and have the easiest time in the world.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 12:01 AM
Stanley would be more than willing to help her. ;)

He has my cell number. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 12:02 AM
They're only cramming stuff in high school because they don't teach it in elementary school anymore. K-2 learning letters and numbers? That was kindergarten and first grade for me. By second grade my classes were doing fractions and crap. And I went to a public school.

On the other hand, I only had more than an hour of homework per night (in high school) on rare occasions. I don't know how they expect kids to have time to stick with any kind of extracurricular activity with that much homework. And if they haven't noticed, most careers come from an extracurricular field.

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 12:04 AM
I think that's why I always felt so bogged down with homework in high school....I procrastinated and was busy with music stuff outside of school.

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 12:07 AM
I did my fair share of procrastinating. It's all a matter of figurin out which assignments are crap and can be thrown together in a solid night of work. Like research papers. All that outlining and rough drafting just wastes time, but if you just start typing you'll have a research paper 3 hours later. ;)

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 12:08 AM
but if you just start typing you'll have a research paper 3 hours later.

Brilliant.

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 12:48 AM
yeah, who actually does research for research papers? :D

crawfish
2/14/2006, 12:52 AM
It's technology that's the problem.

His group is putting together a video. Since my son (and his dad) are the technical wizards, we're the ones up until midnight tonight splicing the thing together.

*sigh*

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 01:06 AM
i always hated group projects. :mad:

Tailwind
2/14/2006, 02:00 AM
I spent a maximum of an hour a night on homework and I have a solid "C" average to prove it. :(

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 02:14 AM
I went to HS back in the 80's and I never had homework like that. It's a good thing because I spent most of my time playing that vibrating football game with the little players moving round and round in circles. I had like 8 teams with schedules and stuff. Good times. I miss that thing.

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 02:15 AM
also that was pre-techmo bowl era. But I played stick man football on atari. Heh, I was the only one who knew how to run the option when it wasn't even programed in the game.

Tailwind
2/14/2006, 02:39 AM
I had much better things to do in high school than homework........such as not doing homework. I didn't feel like competing with my 2 brothers and 2 sister in the grades department. They were all straight A students.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 06:59 AM
2 - You get refresher training ;)

Bingo. I relearned factoring polynomials last night. Not hard, it's just been a quarter of a century...

GDC
2/14/2006, 08:45 AM
Bingo. I relearned factoring polynomials last night. Not hard, it's just been a quarter of a century...

Same here, brushing up for the GRE, feels like my brain is vapor-locking on some of the algebra and geometry. Nothing overly difficult, just haven't used some of it in quite a while.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 08:57 AM
The theory of homework is for each hour of classroom, there are two hours of homework. It is worse if they are taking advance level classes, which mine did. Blech. And this is during the period of their life when they actually need more sleep than they are able to get.

Yeah, Jr's in pre-AP courses and was planning on taking four next year, but we're actually re-thinking that. Some, ok, but when they have so much outside reading it just gets to be too much. And it seems like we are talking to more parents of high schoolers or kids that just graduated that are second-guessing whether the AP courses were really worth it. I know the schools push them hard, but we wonder if part of that isn't out of self-interest and the fact that schools themselves are assessed on criteria that encourage AP enrollment. Any thoughts on that?

And you are 100% right about the sleep. It seems like she is never caught up.

This is her opportunity to learn to budget time and get organized in a manner that works for her. Good luck. Only 12 weeks or so left in the year......

She is actually pretty good at that, at least for a 14 y/o. Luckily she got mom's orgizational skills. That's why I am amazed at the amount of outside work. If it was possible to get it done during the day, she probably would.

Hope your right about this being the worst for homework.

1stTimeCaller
2/14/2006, 09:03 AM
she can still take the AP exams without taking the AP class can't she?

Howzit
2/14/2006, 09:05 AM
Same here, brushing up for the GRE, feels like my brain is vapor-locking on some of the algebra and geometry.

heh. I was helping Jr with a word problem that was ****ing me off last night:

Roland has a square garden. He increases each side (x) by 2 feet, which increases the overall area by 84 feet. What was the original length of x?

I fell into the trap of thinking all the problems had to be factoring polynomials and wasted about a half an hour trying to solve it that way...

Howzit
2/14/2006, 09:06 AM
she can still take the AP exams without taking the AP class can't she?

Probably, my understanding is that the AP courses are as much to prepare them for the amount of outside work and time budgeting as actual content. Plus they tend to move at higher pace.

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2006, 09:15 AM
Howzit - it IS possible for a student to have a heavy homework load and not be slacking off in class

my youngest had his heaviest homework load last year, but he thinks the toughest classes have been this year (he's a sophomore)...he just registered for his classes next year and it didnt seem to improve in my opinion

he's not taking any easy classes though..

Harry Beanbag
2/14/2006, 09:17 AM
The theory of homework is for each hour of classroom, there are two hours of homework. It is worse if they are taking advance level classes, which mine did. Blech.

So for a six hour school day a kid is supposed to have 12 hours of homework? That's completely retarded.

I remember how some of those teacher's big heads work though, the class that they teach is the most important and none of the other ones matter. I fixed them though, I just didn't do any homework. :) :O

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2006, 09:24 AM
i consider my youngest to be a pretty smart kid, his class rank is 30something out of 500something

but he's extremely meticulous in his approach to things......you cant rush this kid doing anything

time management is not one of his strong suits, but it doesnt mean he's goofing off

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 09:28 AM

Roland has a square garden. He increases each side (x) by 2 feet, which increases the overall area by 84 feet. What was the original length of x?

I fell into the trap of thinking all the problems had to be factoring polynomials and wasted about a half an hour trying to solve it that way...

Ah.....poor baby.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 09:28 AM
Top 10% is incredible, jk. Good on 'im.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 09:30 AM
Ah.....poor baby.

I see you regained your spelling skillz since Saturday night...

Mjcpr
2/14/2006, 09:40 AM
Do we have pics of this alleged daughter? I think that would help us a lot.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/14/2006, 09:42 AM
My sophomore niece has a ton of homework too, since she is in all honors classes. In a way I am glad to see it, because then they are better prepared for college. Plus she is applying for Oklahoma School of Science and Math. You know they load it on those kids.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/14/2006, 09:43 AM
i consider my youngest to be a pretty smart kid, his class rank is 30something out of 500something

but he's extremely meticulous in his approach to things......you cant rush this kid doing anything

time management is not one of his strong suits, but it doesnt mean he's goofing offMy niece takes after her Aunt SBSB in this regard. I do my best work under tight deadline, so does she. It drives her parents and my mom crazy.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 09:45 AM
I see you regained your spelling skillz since Saturday night...

Word.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 09:56 AM
Word.

Well?

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 09:59 AM
Well?

That was it.

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 10:00 AM
:O that's all you got stanley?

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 10:02 AM
:O that's all you got stanley?

It is Vday, I don't want to fight with the people I love.

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 10:03 AM
It is Vday, I don't want to fight with the people I love.

okay, but just this once

soonerbrat
2/14/2006, 10:31 AM
my son does hours of homework every day too. he's a junior. there's no way he'd have time for a job or anything. he's taking 3 AP classes this year. (making a 100% in calculus, btw)

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 11:14 AM

That was normal for me when I was in high school. Tenth grade really sucked, because my algebra II teacher, biology teacher, and English teacher were in a competition to see who could give the most homework. :mad:

BeetDigger
2/14/2006, 11:15 AM
my son does hours of homework every day too. he's a junior. there's no way he'd have time for a job or anything. he's taking 3 AP classes this year. (making a 100% in calculus, btw)

Damn area under the curve stuff anyway.

I still have never had to use the derivitive of Cos(x) and I am sure that I never will.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 11:17 AM
When a kid has an overabundance of homework, usually they're goofing off and not finishing it during school hours.

When are you supposed to do homework at school, during your 25-minute lunch period?

Howzit
2/14/2006, 11:20 AM
When are you supposed to do homework at school, during your 25-minute lunch period?

Fer reals. jr was saying yesterday she was going to start going to the library for lunch so she could at least get something out of the way.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 11:21 AM
Fer reals. jr was saying yesterday she was going to start going to the library for lunch so she could at least get something out of the way.

That is "code" for something else.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 11:22 AM
See watch: Chick and I went to the library this weekend, to get stuff out of the way.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, and it got you an aggravated groin...

pb4ou
2/14/2006, 11:25 AM
See watch: Chick and I went to the library this weekend, to get stuff out of the way.

A Little light reading huh?

Dear Penthouse, I thought this would never happen to me....

BeetDigger
2/14/2006, 11:25 AM

I don't know what it is like in HS, but in elementary, they give them plenty to do, relative to their age. Spelling only takes about 20 minutes or so, but math takes about an hour, and my daughter is pretty sharp. She was in tears the other night because she finished and had to redo a couple of problems. "The stress is just too much" she said, after having spent 1.5 hours on it. I don't know how some of the other kids got it done as I know that my girl is near the top.

I guess it makes taking vacations and taking advantage of free time that much more important.

BeetDigger
2/14/2006, 11:26 AM

They should have re-worded that problem for Texas: Roland has a square garden. He has the mexican workers increase each side....

And the answer is 20.

NormanPride
2/14/2006, 11:28 AM
AP classes are the biggest load of carp. I took, like, two my entire High School career because I knew that the workload was not proportional to the educational gain OR the benefits in the college system.

If your kid wants to go to an ivy league school, then yes they're important. If it's for OU or another public school, then screw it. It's better to make better grades and prepare for SATs, ACTs, and community service to put on the resume.

AP English is the biggest load of crap ever. Drop it like VY on the 2 yard line.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 11:30 AM
AP English is the biggest load of crap ever. Drop it like VY on the 2 yard line.

That's kind of what I told her. I think she's going to stick with the AP math and sciences but go the regular classes with the other stuff.

They should have re-worded that problem for Texas: Roland has a square garden. He has the mexican workers increase each side....

heh.

NormanPride
2/14/2006, 11:49 AM
That's kind of what I told her. I think she's going to stick with the AP math and sciences but go the regular classes with the other stuff.

That's a good idea. If she has a teacher that she really likes then it's okay - like I did with my history and math teachers. I switched AP and regular to stay with them all four years. :D

Once you get into college, nobody cares about what you did in High School. Just take the best route to getting into the college of your preference, IMO.

Rhino
2/14/2006, 12:18 PM
I agree about the AP thing. It doesn't much matter unless you're shooting for valedictorian.

When are you supposed to do homework at school, during your 25-minute lunch period? What I was saying was that a lot of homework isn't homework -- it's classwork. Only if you don't finish it in class, it becomes homework. Most teachers give students time to complete most of their classwork. It's up to the student to be motivated enough to not have homework and manage his/her time wisely. I understand that some teachers don't give students any time, but in my experience most of them gave you enough time to at least take a big chunk out of it.

That's not to say I didn't stay up until 2 or 3am some nights after work finishing homework and projects. But that wasn't every night.

oumartin
2/14/2006, 12:35 PM
I'll tell you what should be mandatory in High School.
Basic freakin' math & Algebra. Then stick them kids in a money management class for two years and make them run a household with a tight budget.

Its a damn joke teaching 3 years french or Spanish(although that will be the native tongue here soon) and its dumb to have them reading freakin' novels.

Teach what they are gonna freakin' need in life. Only half will go to college and half of those won't make it. Teach these kids how to survive when they graduate high school and get a real job.

IMO :D

BeetDigger
2/14/2006, 12:50 PM
Its a damn joke teaching 3 years french or Spanish(although that will be the native tongue here soon) and its dumb to have them reading freakin' novels.

I think Spanish should be mandatory. We won't always have Roland around to tell the workers to increase the garden by two feet on each side.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 12:58 PM
Most teachers give students time to complete most of their classwork.

Where is this Fantasyland High School you speak of?

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 01:03 PM
I think Spanish should be mandatory.

I think statistics should be mandatory. People have to interpret statistical data all the time, from poll results to weather forecasts.

yermom
2/14/2006, 01:12 PM
Algebra and stats, i can see that..

i felt like i got a lot out of AP classes in HS

for one, it's cheaper than taking the same class at OU... even if you don't pass the test, or take it, it prepares you better for college

the amount of math people leave HS with is pretty sad... i kinda disagree with the reading novels being worthless, especially if they are going to college, reading helps a LOT, no one seems to do it anymore ;)

Penguin
2/14/2006, 01:20 PM
Math is the only class where you absolutely need to keep up with doing homework. You heard me.

The rest of the assignments I took on a case-by-case basis. Will it affect my final grade much? Will doing the assignment help me on my next test? If the answers are no and no, then BLOW IT OFF.

Of course, my opinion may change if/when I have kids. ;)

oumartin
2/14/2006, 02:33 PM
my oldest in in fourth grade and he brings home some B.S. math crap.
They no longer seem interested in seeing them work out the problem but its like Jeopardy now. they give you some bull crap numbers and you gotta put it in a sentence and some crap like that.

4th grade and i can no longer help him. Geez.

My kid also no longer brings homework home now that I threatened to take everything he cherishes away from him if he didn't start paying more attention in class. it did wonders.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 02:48 PM
my oldest in in fourth grade and he brings home some B.S. math crap.
They no longer seem interested in seeing them work out the problem but its like Jeopardy now. they give you some bull crap numbers and you gotta put it in a sentence and some crap like that.

heh, jr had the same type stuff. all i could ever figure is it gave them some way to check and see if they were getting the right answers without just giving them the answers.

if it's any consolation, she did actually learn the math...

oumartin
2/14/2006, 03:27 PM
well, i am glad to hear that Howzit. I would just like to see teachers do what they are paid instead of just giving them the work and then they bring it home to a father and mother that has no clue and that reflects on the child when he cannot complete his homework at night.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 03:30 PM
You could always try the Sylvan 4th grade math course for you and the Mrs...

;)

oumartin
2/14/2006, 03:33 PM
dude, you are giving us far to much credit.. We need to start at the beginner class.!

Vaevictis
2/14/2006, 03:49 PM
Damn area under the curve stuff anyway.

I still have never had to use the derivitive of Cos(x) and I am sure that I never will.

You are obviously not an engineer. :) (especially electrical, where literally EVERYTHING is a @$%$@#^%$#^%#$ sum of sines and cosines)

As far as the homework goes, I high schooled in Cy-Fair (NW Houston, FWIW). I generally had six periods, with five of them assigning homework. In general, I had an average of one hour of homework per night per one hour period. Well, I would have if I had been willing to do it... my opinion was, they had me from 7:30 in the morning until 2:30 in the afternoon -- 7 hours -- and the standard work week is 8x5, so you can have one hour of homework.

It's really a bunch of garbage. You don't need that much homework; math and foreign language are really the only classes where you should need extra practice, and even then, one hour a night should be sufficient.

Because of my refusal to do homework, I had terrible grades... up until I went to the alternative school (Windfern) where they essentially doubled up the hours per period and did a years worth of work in a semester. (Personally, I can't learn in one hour periods spread out over 9 fricking months. I get bored of the subject because of the slow-as-molasses progress at about 4 months...)

But yeah. Get used to the idea of the homework being obnoxiously fricking rediculous. If you start getting into the AP classes, it gets *even worse*. (My AP English class had a reading assignment and a paper due every week. F. That.)

Beef
2/14/2006, 04:03 PM
It's a shame that they're loading kids up so much on homework that there's not time for paying, part-time jobs. There's a lot to be learned from working.

oumartin
2/14/2006, 04:08 PM
It's a shame that they're loading kids up so much on homework that there's not time for paying, part-time jobs. There's a lot to be learned from working.

thats the way i see it..

GDC
2/14/2006, 04:13 PM
I went to Tahlequah HS, no honors or AP program at the time, and I never had to crack a book until I took Physics as a senior. Thank god for mean old Althea Franklin, I would have had no concept of studying or homework if it weren't for her.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 04:14 PM
Thank god for mean old Althea Franklin, I would have had no concept of studying or homework if it weren't for her.

Are you saying she taught you R-E-S-P-E-C-T for studying?

Howzit
2/14/2006, 04:17 PM
mean old Althea Franklin

heh. That was Mrs. Clark for me, my 10th grade English teacher. Stood about 4'10", rumor was she had been in the marines (probably bs), and everyone called her Sgt Clark...behind her back. Talk about running a tight classroom...

Mjcpr
2/14/2006, 04:21 PM
heh. That was Mrs. Clark for me, my 10th grade English teacher. Stood about 4'10", rumor was she had been in the marines (probably bs), and everyone called her Sgt Clark...behind her back. Talk about running a tight classroom...

You can probably take solace in the fact that she's likely dead now.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 04:29 PM
It helps me sleep at night.

Beef
2/14/2006, 04:31 PM
thats the way i see it..
My job my senior year was working the front desk of an indoor tennis facility. I just did homework and watch extremely rich ****s play tennis. Good stuff.

Harry Beanbag
2/14/2006, 04:42 PM
After my entire school career filled with Honors classes, I decided to only take two AP classes my senior year, mainly because I despise math and I didn't want to take anymore. :)

AP Biology was the best class I ever took in high school. There were only seven students in the class so we got a lot of extra attention and did some neat stuff.

AP English was nothing like Biology, it blew. But the teacher thought I wasn't living up to my potential, which I wasn't, so she rode me hard the entire year. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but she taught me a lot about myself. For anybody familiar with Edmond Memorial you may know her since she was kind of a legend up there, Mrs. McBride. I heard she passed away a few years ago. :(

oumartin
2/14/2006, 04:44 PM
I hate you Beef ! :D

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/14/2006, 04:49 PM
People need to read more books.

Little kids love books, when do they stop loving books? Is it because schools beat it out of them or something?

Good reading comprehension and vocabulary are pretty important to a good education and we beat it out of them early.

We also need to teach kids how to make the sinus pressure stop. This will come in handy later in life.

oumartin
2/14/2006, 04:52 PM
People need to read more books.

Little kids love books, when do they stop loving books? Is it because schools beat it out of them or something?

Good reading comprehension and vocabulary are pretty important to a good education and we beat it out of them early.

We also need to teach kids how to make the sinus pressure stop. This will come in handy later in life.

sorry, I don't follow what you're saying there

Oldnslo
2/14/2006, 05:20 PM
I made great grades in high school. No, really. No advanced/honors classes, though; I didn't see the point.

Anyway, so good were my grades that, when coupled with the SAT, I had no problem getting into Tulsa Junior College, where I got my Fr and So years' requirements out of the way before heading off to OU. I left TJC with a 3.6 average.

My grades at OU were, likewise, stellar. I graduated Phi Beta Kappa--top 10% of the College of Arts and Sciences. No Honors classes, so my diploma says, "With Distinction" instead of saying, "With Honors". woo.

My grades from OU were so good that, when coupled with my out-of-the-park-hit on the LSAT, I had no trouble getting into OU's College of Law.

In law school, I was Magister of Phi Delta Phi, the honors fraternity. My good grades did allow me to get an internship at a now-defunct firm, Houston & Klein. However, those bastards didn't offer me a job, and if they had, it would have gone down the toilet, anyway.

After my first semester's grades, I started dating the woman who would become my wife. My grades went to hell.

Oddly enough, my grades played no part whatsoever in my success in landing a job at the Tulsa County DA's office.

In short: Honors classes are bogus, and making great grades might have been fun, but it turns out to have been overrated.

The end.

Mjcpr
2/14/2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Bruce.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 05:24 PM
In short: Honors classes are bogus, and making great grades might have been fun, but it turns out to have been overrated.

The end.

Tell me about it...but I'm not so sure about the "fun" part.

:(

Vaevictis
2/14/2006, 05:30 PM

Things become less fun when you have to do them on someone else's schedule.

Harry Beanbag
2/14/2006, 05:40 PM

Making great grades didn't have anything to with it for me, probably because I refused to do most of the homework in regards to this thread topic. ;) But the major reason I enjoyed the Honors pipeline was because I didn't have to be surrounded my infuriating morons all day.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 05:43 PM
My job my senior year was working the front desk of an indoor tennis facility. I just did homework and watch extremely rich ****s play tennis. Good stuff.

Rich bastard.

oumartin
2/14/2006, 05:50 PM
i tried sitting on the front row without any undies on. Worked for the girls

Beef
2/14/2006, 05:51 PM
Rich bastard.
You got half that right.

Howzit
2/14/2006, 05:52 PM
But the major reason I enjoyed the Honors pipeline was because I didn't have to be surrounded my infuriating morons all day.

Yet you hang out here...

:D

BeetDigger
2/14/2006, 05:58 PM
You are obviously not an engineer. :) (especially electrical, where literally EVERYTHING is a @$%$@#^%$#^%#$ sum of sines and cosines)

I actually was for eight years. And for eight years, I never used that. That's not to say other's don't use it.

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 06:18 PM
Thank god for mean old Althea Franklin, I would have had no concept of studying or homework if it weren't for her.

Are you saying she taught you R-E-S-P-E-C-T for studying?

Come on people, this was GOLD. Althea Franklin? R-E-S-P-E-C-T? Get it? GET IT?

:O

yermom
2/14/2006, 06:20 PM
that doesn't mean anything to me

oumartin
2/14/2006, 06:21 PM
me either yermon but GDC prolly had a mad crush on her or something

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 06:30 PM
Hillbillies.

BajaOklahoma
2/14/2006, 06:46 PM
The AP classes do help when you take the SAT or ACT test. More information and experience with higher level thinking.
It is nice to start college with some credits under your belt. Lil Baja had 9 hours, not bad. She just didn't want to take the other tests. Her idea was to take some ot the normal freshman classes to meet people. Okay........

One of the considerations for AP classes. The more kids from a high school who take and pass the AP tests, the better the high school will be ranked. Same thing with SAT and ACT tests. It is an attempt to figure out how hard the high school is academically - and therefore who is likely to be a better student.
Say a student goes to high school A and takes AP English, gets a good grade, but doesn't pass the AP test. A student at school B takes AP English, gets an okay grade, but passes the AP test. What do you think the college recruiters are going to think? And trust me, the recruiters are aware of this info.