PDA

View Full Version : Media Spin: Coach Sutton

SeattleOUstudent
2/13/2006, 10:05 PM
Is it just me or does the media seem to be treating this pretty lightly...almost "aww poor guy"-like. Im watching the Big Monday game and the announcers are wishing :eddie: well like he just ran off the side of the road after falling asleep.

DUI = DUI. I dont care if its alcohol or prescription drugs....I would be so freaking embarassed if Bob Stoops had gotten into a car accident and got a DUI. Oh, and the Aggies would never let go of it if it were Bob.

All that being said, I hope OSU beats KU tonight.

walkoffsooner
2/13/2006, 10:19 PM
Me and you would go to jail!Set back and watch the good ole boy system at work. Where I live our DA got 5 dui tickets but he is still prosecuting other drunks.Before its over some crook held him down and poored vodka down his throat I think he was wearing crimson.

oumartin
2/13/2006, 10:24 PM
so, Eddie got a DUI?

No way it was prescription drugs.

walkoffsooner
2/13/2006, 10:28 PM
No that takes 5 to 6 weeks.Oh wait thats the part of the good ole boy system. Thanks I forgot. Come to Anadarko they can do it overnight.

SeattleOUstudent
2/13/2006, 11:53 PM
His apology said something about the amount of stress he was under....slammin Wild Turkey and Lortab will take the edge off everything except the center line.

suncoastsooner7
2/14/2006, 09:08 AM
No that takes 5 to 6 weeks.Oh wait thats the part of the good ole boy system. Thanks I forgot. Come to Anadarko they can do it overnight.

They could have done it in a couple of hours. Ever had a toxicology done on your blood? Have you ever seen what they do to asthmatics when they come in having an attack? One of the first things they do is a blood screening to see what he has been taking and the oxygen level in his blood stream. Takes them less than 45 minutes to get the results.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/14/2006, 10:23 AM
I'd be interested to see/hear what Doug Goatlip had to say about this.

ArklahomaSooner
2/14/2006, 10:33 AM
They could have done it in a couple of hours. Ever had a toxicology done on your blood? Have you ever seen what they do to asthmatics when they come in having an attack? One of the first things they do is a blood screening to see what he has been taking and the oxygen level in his blood stream. Takes them less than 45 minutes to get the results.

Doing bloodwork for a criminal prosecution isn't the same as getting bloodwork done for medical treatment.
The sample has to be tested at the Oklahoma State Crime Lab, it's a chain of custody thing.
With the backlog of drug and alcohol cases -- and other types of cases with higher priority -- it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get the results; its not an uncommon amount of time.

Pricetag
2/14/2006, 02:43 PM
The media's struggle with this has been something to behold, but I don't blame them.

This is a case where someone who the vast majority of the public considers a good person has committed a DUI, a crime in which we love to vilify the offender when he or she is a faceless stranger.

I think more folks than not have driven when they probably shouldn't have at least once in their life, whether it be a case of drinking, drugs, or even fatigue. I admit that I have. We overestimate our capabilities. It's what people do.

The dividing line on whether you're a worthless POS or you're still a decent person? Whether or not you get caught. Eddie Sutton got caught, and now the media (and much of the public) is caught up in this paradox. He must be a worthless POS, right? We know better than that.

I'm not suggesting that Mr. Sutton be given a free ride on this. He should face the same kind of legal ramifications any of us would. DUI is a senseless crime--there are too many options out there to avoid it. I'm just saying that I understand why the media would have some major conflict reporting on this issue.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/14/2006, 02:49 PM
Come to the Anadarko Jail we'll do you overnight.

:eddie:

Pricetag
2/14/2006, 03:19 PM
I have to add one more thing. I've been listening to the Sports Animal all day, and I can see that a couple of the real Sutton homers are beginning to take small shots at the lady that he hit. One of the Tulsa guys said something, and so did Traber just now.

Regardless of her reaction to the accident, she is not in any way at fault. To attack her is to go over the line and admit bias.

oumartin
2/14/2006, 03:30 PM
I thought the media had been pretty fair to sutton from what I have seen.
To take shots at either sutton sr. or the lady involved doesn't show much class.

Luckily everyone here knows I have no class.

I don't want Eddie to take a hard fall. I want OSU to take a hard fall as a result of them hiring a couple guys that had no experience... Thats what i want.

Oh, and trabers a tool

SeattleOUstudent
2/14/2006, 04:35 PM
I have to add one more thing. I've been listening to the Sports Animal all day, and I can see that a couple of the real Sutton homers are beginning to take small shots at the lady that he hit. One of the Tulsa guys said something, and so did Traber just now.

Regardless of her reaction to the accident, she is not in any way at fault. To attack her is to go over the line and admit bias.

Now I KNOW you are lying. Jim Traber shows no bias! ;)