PDA

View Full Version : Pat Forde just reported on ESPN's Hot list...

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 03:45 PM
that the latest incident with Eddie Sutton's DUI accident combined with his academic fraud scandal at UK will probably keep him out of the College Basketball Hall of Fame.:O

Again, Kharma aggies.:D

BillyBall
2/13/2006, 03:49 PM
As much as I dislike OSU, this is an extremely ****ty way to go out. I really hope it was just the meds and not booze.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 03:51 PM
As much as I dislike OSU, this is an extremely ****ty way to go out. I really hope it was just the meds and not booze.I don't see one as worse than the other. Both are illegal to drive on and both are legal to purchase.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/13/2006, 03:53 PM
I'm suprised he didn't make the Pontiac Game Changing performance...that is if he drove a Pontiac. He could be a finalist for Miller Light Coach of the Year.;)

BillyBall
2/13/2006, 03:53 PM
Good point, I guess it really has to do more with his history than anything.

You are right though, one isn't really "better" than the other.

GDC
2/13/2006, 03:55 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer drunken cheat.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 03:58 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer drunken cheat.hehhttp://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/932/221061.jpg (http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=512631)

Collier11
2/13/2006, 04:47 PM
Correct me if im wrong guys, but isnt adolph rupp in the hall of fame. That guy also has a court named after him and was one of the biggest known racists of his time, if he can get all that then Im all for eddie getting in the Hall, we may make fun of him and he may have flaws as we all do, but the guy can coach. Isnt that what the hall is all about, hell bobby knight is going to get in, Eddie is ten times a better person than he is!

OUstud
2/13/2006, 04:54 PM
What about John Wooden, he murdered people! :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 05:03 PM
Correct me if im wrong guys, but isnt adolph rupp in the hall of fame. That guy also has a court named after him and was one of the biggest known racists of his time, if he can get all that then Im all for eddie getting in the Hall, we may make fun of him and he may have flaws as we all do, but the guy can coach. Isnt that what the hall is all about, hell bobby knight is going to get in, Eddie is ten times a better person than he is!Rupp got in while racism was alive and well, Knight is an ashole for sure but he never (that we know of) cheated or had to go to the betty ford clinic and now this????

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/13/2006, 05:14 PM
Rupp got in while racism was alive and well, Knight is an ashole for sure but he never (that we know of) cheated or had to go to the betty ford clinic and now this????

Precisely. Rupp wouldn't have been a Hall of Famer if he had been a modern coach. Even if he wasn't run out of town and Kentucky changed their name to the fightin' Aryans he wouldn't have won too many games.

I think there were enough people that were willing to forget that Sutton had a shady past until this came up again.

I'm waiting for the Roberyt Allen conspiracy theories where he says that Kelvin Sampson called the cops on him.

Beef
2/13/2006, 05:25 PM
I'm waiting for the Roberyt Allen conspiracy theories where he says that Kelvin Sampson called the cops on him.
I thought Calvin wasn't allowed to make any more phone calls. :eddie:

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 06:01 PM
I thought Calvin wasn't allowed to make any more phone calls. :eddie:

Thus the conspiracy! Calvin called an OSU recruit who happened to be a cop who then arrived on the scene and made the arrest while Calvin was on the phone. :D

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 06:08 PM
Bob Knight choked a kid.

Collier11
2/13/2006, 06:08 PM
It was actually a text message...omg, lmfao, lol, etc...

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2006, 06:48 PM
Keeping Eddie out of the HOF for this is roughly equivalent to keeping Barry out of the football HOF. If you think Barry never drove drunk, I've got this bridge to Ketchikan to sell you..

Just because Eddie might be a bad guy (which I don't think he is, just a really really irresponsible one) doesn't mean he's not a hell of a basketball coach.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 06:56 PM
Keeping Eddie out of the HOF for this is roughly equivalent to keeping Barry out of the football HOF. If you think Barry never drove drunk, I've got this bridge to Ketchikan to sell you..

Just because Eddie might be a bad guy (which I don't think he is, just a really really irresponsible one) doesn't mean he's not a hell of a basketball coach.Barry is in the HOF. Of Course Barry also has THREE national championships to Eddie's ZERO, ZIP, SQUA****** in national championships. Besides Barry never smashed into another car then careened into a tree. Other than that, they're exactly the same.:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2006, 07:08 PM
And Barry was kept OUT of the HOF for several years because of the perception of him as a cheater.

Apparently you have a different meaning assigned in your head to "roughly." I'll break it into smaller pieces.

Barry kept out of HOF for several years because of off-the-field stuff is not exactly but kind of similar to keeping Eddie Sutton out of the HOF because of off-the-court stuff.

Barry certainly was a very accomplished coach. So is Eddie. No, Eddie hasn't won a national championship, but he's taken four teams to the NCAA tourney-something only one other coach has done to my knowledge (Lefty Dreisell.)

By all means, the legal book should be thrown at him, but not having him in the Hall of Fame? It's not like the guy bet on OSU games or anything.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 07:10 PM
I like Eddie Sutton and hope that everything works out for him. After all the agony he has had to endure after the plane crash it would be little wonder he started drinking again if that is the case.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 07:11 PM
And Barry was kept OUT of the HOF for several years because of the perception of him as a cheater.

Apparently you have a different meaning assigned in your head to "roughly." I'll break it into smaller pieces.

Barry kept out of HOF for several years because of off-the-field stuff is not exactly but kind of similar to keeping Eddie Sutton out of the HOF because of off-the-court stuff.

Barry certainly was a very accomplished coach. So is Eddie. No, Eddie hasn't won a national championship, but he's taken four teams to the NCAA tourney-something only one other coach has done to my knowledge (Lefty Dreisell.)

By all means, the legal book should be thrown at him, but not having him in the Hall of Fame? It's not like the guy bet on OSU games or anything.It won't break my heart if he doesn't make it. Barry didn't really care either. No matter how bad you dislike a person, its almost impossible to keep them out of the HOF with four championships (One Super Bowl). Eddie may deserve but so does Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 07:15 PM
It won't break my heart if he doesn't make it. Barry didn't really care either. No matter how bad you dislike a person, its almost impossible to keep them out of the HOF with four championships (One Super Bowl). Eddie may deserve but so does Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe.

SAY WHAT????

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 07:26 PM
SAY WHAT????That's what he told me. Sure he was glad to get in but when we played ND and Sooner Fans were letting them know...I asked him and he said, "Son, I've done more in my career than most of the guys in there and less than others. Either way, it's politics, I don't really care to play the the politcs of getting in."

Soonerborn03
2/13/2006, 07:28 PM
It won't break my heart if he doesn't make it. Barry didn't really care either. No matter how bad you dislike a person, its almost impossible to keep them out of the HOF with four championships (One Super Bowl). Eddie may deserve but so does Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe.The man has almost 800 career wins as a basketball coach, and there are only 3 active coaches in men's basketball with more victories than Eddie. Whether you don't like him or not, Eddie is getting into the HOF.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 07:29 PM
The man has almost 800 career wins as a basketball coach, and there are only 3 active coaches in men's basketball with more victories than Eddie. Whether you don't like him or not, Eddie is getting into the HOF.Hey, it was Pat Forde that said it. I'm sure he'll get in someday but anything on the short term looks far fetched now. Doubt he'll live to see it.

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2006, 07:40 PM
It won't break my heart if he doesn't make it. Barry didn't really care either. No matter how bad you dislike a person, its almost impossible to keep them out of the HOF with four championships (One Super Bowl). Eddie may deserve but so does Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe.

I would agree with Shoeless Joe 100%, especially since his "lifetime ban" is well up by now.

Pete Rose....I go back and forth. His off-the-field antics may have had a direct effect on the game itself. On the other hand, they may not have.

And please don't take my comments to mean that I think Barry didn't deserve to be in the HOF or that I dislike the guy.

emoinwinter
2/13/2006, 07:43 PM
The man has almost 800 career wins as a basketball coach, and there are only 3 active coaches in men's basketball with more victories than Eddie. Whether you don't like him or not, Eddie is getting into the HOF.

But how many of those 800 wins were while he was not cheating? Plus, I hate when people start putting so many stipulations on things, just to make it sound amazing. Like saying there are only 3 "active" coaches in men's basketball with more victories than Eddie. That's like saying that Bob Stoops has the most victories for active Division 1A coaches that live in Oklahoma.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 07:46 PM
That's what he told me. Sure he was glad to get in but when we played ND and Sooner Fans were letting them know...I asked him and he said, "Son, I've done more in my career than most of the guys in there and less than others. Either way, it's politics, I don't really care to play the the politcs of getting in."

Clinton said he didn't have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinski too. :rolleyes:

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 07:47 PM
But how many of those 800 wins were while he was not cheating? Plus, I hate when people start putting so many stipulations on things, just to make it sound amazing. Like saying there are only 3 "active" coaches in men's basketball with more victories than Eddie. That's like saying that Bob Stoops has the most victories for active Division 1A coaches that live in Oklahoma.

A lot of people ask the same thing about Barry too.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 07:49 PM
Clinton said he didn't have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinski too. :rolleyes:Neg

Soonerborn03
2/13/2006, 07:51 PM
Plus, I hate when people start putting so many stipulations on things, just to make it sound amazing.Isn't that why we have records? Isn't that why we have a HOF? We want to recognize people for doing things that are exceptional. With as many coaches that are in college basketball, to be one of the top 3 winningest coaches still coaching in basketball is pretty special.

Mjcpr
2/13/2006, 07:53 PM
With as many coaches that are in college basketball, to be one of the top 3 winningest coaches still coaching in basketball is pretty special.

Or in this case.......spayshul.

:eddie:

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 07:55 PM
Well, I'm not that impressed. Kelvin coaches until he's 70 and he'll be there too. Anyone would. Like Dan Marino and his passing yards...great did you win any championships? No.

Soonerborn03
2/13/2006, 08:02 PM
Well, I'm not that impressed. Kelvin coaches until he's 70 and he'll be there too. Anyone would. Like Dan Marino and his passing yards...great did you win any championships? No.Your comparisons to football really aren't fair to coaching in basketball. They are two totally different sports with an entirely differnet level of parity. I'm a big Sampson supporter and the one arguement that people throw out there is that Sampson hasn't won a championship. It's not that easy. If college football went to a playoff system to decide who the champion should be, you might have a point. You have to beat a lot of REALLY REALLY good teams and have a lot of luck on your side to win a national championship in basketball. How often does a team go undefeated in basketball compared to football? No one does it in basketball. You just can't compare the two sports

I agree with you on Sampson being able to reach the same status as Sutton. He's a helluva coach that a lot of Sooner fans do not appreciate as much as they should. He'll get you 20 wins almost every season. Not a lot of coaches can do that. He gets everything out of every player on his team. If they don't give him the effort that they should, they go away. I'm okay with that. We're doing fine with the hard working players we've got on our team right now

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 09:38 PM
Neg

Oh, ouch, make it stop. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 09:44 PM
Oh, ouch, make it stop. :rolleyes:Well, at least I took credit for it. Now say, thank you sir may I have another or the hammer jihad will commence, noob.:rolleyes:

Remembering Tom Stidham
2/13/2006, 10:25 PM
It was 5:30 am. just in front of the Broadmoor Hotel. I saw this fellow in jogging clothes reading the Wall Street Journal. His chiseled face reminded me of Abraham Lincoln. "Aren't you Eddit Sutton?" He jumped to his feet and we had an animated conversation for about five minutes. I told him of my Sooner background and also my great respect for Mr. Iba. I came away feeling he was one of the nicest people I had ever met. What just happened does not change that.

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2006, 10:31 PM
I jawed with him a bit on a radio call-in show up here when he had a team in the Shootout. Got the same impression that you did.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I'm not that impressed. Kelvin coaches until he's 70 and he'll be there too. Anyone would. Like Dan Marino and his passing yards...great did you win any championships? No.

That's only if he averages a little over 17 wins a season for the next 20 years.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 10:37 PM
Well, at least I took credit for it. Now say, thank you sir may I have another or the hammer jihad will commence, noob.:rolleyes:

Oh I am so scared. :rolleyes:

If that's how you want to waste your time go for it. :D

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 10:40 PM
I am now down to 608,000 points so you better keep hammering. :D

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 10:43 PM
I wont have to waste my time. You've probably already felt a pinch from others. I was just funnin'. I don't really care what a useless noob like you thinks anyway.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 10:50 PM
I am now down to 608,000 points so you better keep hammering. :DWow, you're bigtime. I'm down to a pitiful six million.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 10:55 PM
Wow, and that is suppose to impress me. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 10:58 PM
Wow, and that is suppose to impress me. :rolleyes:Well your's certainly doesn't and you brought it up.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:01 PM
I was just pointing out you need to get busy. :D

You on the other hand think that you are important because you have some Brownie points on a message board. :rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:05 PM
I was just pointing out you need to get busy. :D

You on the other hand think that you are important because you have some Brownie points on a message board. :rolleyes:I'm important for other reasons. Just so happens you caught me at home with the flu today.

Like I said, I'm not busy doing anything. You're the new guy here, not me.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:06 PM
I was posting on this message board before you ever found it.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:08 PM
I was posting on this message board before you ever found it.ha, now you're just being silly. Have a nice evening.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:09 PM
Heck I have been going to the Soonerfan tailgates back before Phil and Leslie got married. :hmfic: This board has had the post count reset several times over the years I just don't spend as much time here as you is the only difference.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:10 PM
You have a nice evening too Ron. :D

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:13 PM
I was here in 1999 before the first format change ya frickin moron. I don't go to the tailgates because I have friends and family and a wife and kids. You were NOT here in 1999. That was what three format changes ago?

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:16 PM
I was here in 1999 before the first format change ya frickin moron. I don't go to the tailgates because I have friends and family and a wife and kids. You were NOT here in 1999.

Gee I was here in 1999 too Ron so what does that prove? And gee you shouldn't be name calling it's really beneath you. :D

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:18 PM
If you don't believe me ask David Earl, Phil, opksooner, mosoon or a host of others. :rolleyes:

oumartin
2/13/2006, 11:18 PM
whats going on? a big brawl a brewing?

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:19 PM
Gee I was here in 1999 too Ron so what does that prove? And gee you shouldn't be name calling it's really beneath you. :DIf you were here it wasn't under that name. :texan:

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:20 PM
By the way I have friends, family, a wife and kids and I still go to the tailgates. ;)

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:20 PM
I have been Sooner24 from day one. What name did you used to post under?

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:22 PM
By the way I have friends, family, a wife and kids and I still go to the tailgates. ;)I enjoy my friends and family's traditions. We are third generation Sooner Grads and have our own pre game tradition. I've thought about going but just haven't.

What happened to Bri?

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:24 PM
I have been Sooner24 from day one. What name did you used to post under?Depends on the board. Once I was BigRedRon once I was Big Red Rod (the second board wouldn't let me register my regular name for some reason).

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:25 PM
I enjoy my friends and family's traditions. We are third generation Sooner Grads and have our own pre game tradition. I've thought about going but just haven't.

What happened to Bri?

How about I just leave you a feedback with the answer to Bri.

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:26 PM
Since I answered the question do I get a decoder ring? :D

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 11:28 PM
How about I just leave you a feedback with the answer to Bri.

Man, I have the flu, seriously and feel like crap. Peace. I thought you were one of these loudmouth noobs. My bad. Did I mention I have the flu?

Sooner24
2/13/2006, 11:30 PM
No problem. Get to feeling better.

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2006, 11:50 PM
Er, mind filling ME in on what happened to Bri? I was gone like a week and nobody would talk about it. Something about his girlfriend, I assume.

GDC
2/14/2006, 08:42 AM
Er, mind filling ME in on what happened to Bri? I was gone like a week and nobody would talk about it. Something about his girlfriend, I assume.

I don't know, but the humor quotient around here took a major hit when he left. In his place we now have lots of ghey clique threads, whorn love, and self-styled vigilante posters who want to be admins.

stoopified
2/15/2006, 04:55 PM
:D
I thought Calvin wasn't allowed to make any more phone calls. :eddie:Bingo!:D