PDA

View Full Version : GGRRRRRR!!!!!!! (car dealership)

boomersooner28
2/13/2006, 03:26 PM
Ok, so I have been eyeing this truck from the highway for a few days now. The wife and I go to test drive it today. We get back from the test drive and go inside to talk numbers. The car salesman asks for my truck keys so he can get some information from my truck...no big deal. About 10 minutes later the salesman says they are working on the appraisal on my truck to get top value, and he is gonna talk to his boss about my offer...and that he would call me back later in the afternoon ( I told him I had a CPA meeting and only had 1 hour). Fine.

I get in MY truck and proceed to drive out of the parking lot when I hear a VERY weird noise. I get out to inspect and my U-joint axle thingy ( I'm no car guy) is busted and grease is everywhere!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I turn right around and walk back into the car dealership...salesman guy tries to ignore me, I said "we have a problem"...he mumbles "what?" I proceed to tell him that they broke my truck and they are going to pay for it. He tells me that they just drove it around the parking lot so there is no way that they broke my truck. The idiots put it in 4X4 in the paved parking lot and drove it around!!!! :mad: :mad: He went to talk to his manager and said are you willing to take the new truck right now...I said if you can give me the deal I want...they were nowhere close!!! So, I drove my truck accross the street to the Chevy Dealership (it's a Chevy) and they said my axle is broke! They broke my damn axle!!! $805.00!! I called Mr. Salesman guy back and said hey, give me the new truck for $ this amount and I will come get it, or you owe me $800 for my truck to be fixed. He said he was in a meeting and would call me back after he speaks to his manager.

This is NOT going to be fun. :mad:

Mjcpr
2/13/2006, 03:30 PM
I'm not a 4x4 expert but how would putting it in 4WD break the axle?

Jimminy Crimson
2/13/2006, 03:30 PM
That succs!

TopDaugIn2000
2/13/2006, 03:31 PM
YIKES

boomersooner28
2/13/2006, 03:32 PM
I'm not a 4x4 expert but how would putting it in 4WD break the axle?

You are not supposed to put a vehicle into 4X4 on pavement..only on ice or grass os something that gives. The guy at the Chevy Dealership said they must have activated the 4X4 drive on the pavement and he called them idiots. And yes the idiotic salesdude did say they tested the 4X4 in the parking lot.

Mjcpr
2/13/2006, 03:34 PM
You are not supposed to put a vehicle into 4X4 on pavement..only on ice or grass os something that gives.

I had no idea you couldn't do that.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2006, 03:37 PM
I've driven my truck in 4 wheel drive on the highway . . . a bunch of times.

sooneron
2/13/2006, 03:41 PM
What dealership was this?

IB4OU2
2/13/2006, 03:42 PM

Me too, never was a problem.

SoonerBK
2/13/2006, 03:44 PM
<costanza> It was Kip or Stu or Jon that took my Twix!! <costanza>

fadada1
2/13/2006, 03:46 PM
And yes the idiotic salesdude did say they tested the 4X4 in the parking lot.
that and a GED will get you one broke axle and and $800 bill.

hope everything works out.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2006, 03:50 PM
KEEP US POSTED.

boomersooner28
2/13/2006, 03:57 PM
Well Chevy dealership called back and said their was a new axle here in town and that my truck should be ready to go this afternoon....and that I have a $805.00 bill. Thats nice.

Haven't heard from idiotic dealership...imagine that. Never wouldda thought it would cost me $805.00 to test drive a truck.

Hamhock
2/13/2006, 04:00 PM
Be sure you document everything well as it happens. Write down, to the best of your knowledge, the salesidiot's exact quote as to the guys test driving it.

Small claims court...here you come.

SoonerWood
2/13/2006, 04:01 PM

When your in 4 wheel drive, the wheels on either side are being rotated at the same rate of speed, this is fine when driving in a straight line. When you turn though, the set of wheels on one side of the vehicle is fighting the other side and this puts a ton of stress on the axle - especially when its a tight turn, like in a parking lot.

Pride Baritone
2/13/2006, 04:09 PM
I don't suppose you could tell us the name of this dealership?

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2006, 04:11 PM
what year is your vehicle.....the one with the broken axle?

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, which dealership is this? I want to stay faaar away from it!

OUinFLA
2/13/2006, 04:22 PM
I have had 4 Chevy 4x4's , an 05, 01, 99, and a 96.
I have had them in 4 wheel drive in mud, grass and most of all on pavement. Both in high 4x4 and lo range 4x4.
Most of the pavement times are because I pull a rather heavy boat up ramps and then make sharp turns to get out of the ramp area.
Yes, I know the grinding sound, but if my axle broke while doing that, I would have complained to Chevy about it. That is why I have a 4x4 , to be able to handle those situations.
On the other hand, apparently, the new car dealer did something, and I agree with the above comment about documenting it.
I would just bypass the salesman and submit the written dialogue to the General Sales Manager, with c/c to the owner of the dealership, and what ever the company you are dealing with regional manager.

Now, why would you want to buy a new truck from that company anyway?

Mjcpr
2/13/2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, which dealership is this? I want to stay faaar away from it!

It's the one right across the street from the Chevy dealer.

sooneron
2/13/2006, 04:24 PM
Must be I-40

OUinFLA
2/13/2006, 04:26 PM
When your in 4 wheel drive, the wheels on either side are being rotated at the same rate of speed, this is fine when driving in a straight line. When you turn though, the set of wheels on one side of the vehicle is fighting the other side and this puts a ton of stress on the axle - especially when its a tight turn, like in a parking lot.

I could be wrong..... but I dont think this is true on GMC trucks. My 4x4 will actually slip on one side at a certain point of traction. I talked to the dealership about it and they informed me that the 4x4 is not a posi-traction axle, and the reason was to keep the axle from breaking.

Also, I know that the high range 4x4 is suggested to be used at highway speeds when towing a heavy load or in slippery conditions. Like down here in Florida where the one snowflake fell yesterday.

boomersooner28
2/13/2006, 04:27 PM
Chris Nickels @ 145th and the Broken Arrow Expressway in BA/Tulsa.

Stay far far away.

boomersooner28
2/13/2006, 04:29 PM
what year is your vehicle.....the one with the broken axle?

My truck is a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD.

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 04:29 PM
But I thought you get your Nickel's worth there! And he appreciates your business! :eek:

BudSooner
2/13/2006, 06:19 PM
Chris Nickels @ 145th and the Broken Arrow Expressway in BA/Tulsa.

Stay far far away.

I take it you went over to Speedway Chevrolet right to get the axle looked at right? For the most part they have some good sales people and techs.
Chris Nickels has a bad rep depending on who you talk to, but then again so does East Tulsa Dodge.
Word of advice, avoid those asshats over at 31st and Memorial....unless you enjoy bending over and grabbing your ankles.:eek:

handcrafted
2/13/2006, 06:48 PM
I think whether you can put a 4x4 in that mode and drive it on dry pavement depends on the 4x4 and how it's made. My guess is, when you get to small claims, the sales guys will say that they didn't know it was one of those that you couldn't do that with, and you should have told them ahead of time.

Hope you win.

GottaHavePride
2/13/2006, 07:13 PM
If they're car dealers, it's their job to know crap like that.

mdklatt
2/13/2006, 07:15 PM
IMy guess is, when you get to small claims, the sales guys will say that they didn't know it was one of those that you couldn't do that with, and you should have told them ahead of time.

Why would the burden be on him to assume the sales guys would put it in 4WD mode? Or even if he did know, to assume they needed directions? If I give my car keys to somebody at a car dealership I'm going to assume the know at least as much as I do about driving. Aren't they supposed to be experts?

Hey dude, you never told us we had to take the emergency brake off.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/13/2006, 08:54 PM
Haven't heard from idiotic dealership...imagine that. Never wouldda thought it would cost me $805.00 to test drive a truck.

Sue, sue, sue...I had one that when I was in Grad school half a country away, serviced my tranny and FORGOT to add gear lube. 200 miles down the highway, the tranny melted - MELTED! and I was stuck. Luckily for me the exit I coasted to had a toyota dealership 1/2 mile down the road. 800 bucks later I had a used tranny. The Dealership originally said they would pay, when they found out their insurance wouldn't cover it, they stopped returning my calls. If I hadn't been in Oklahoma and this was in Georgia, I would have had to go to small claims court and sue...

BudSooner
2/13/2006, 09:03 PM
Sue, sue, sue...I had one that when I was in Grad school half a country away, serviced a tranny and FORGOT to add gear lube. 200 miles down the highway, the tranny melted - MELTED! and I was stuck. Luckily for me the exit I coasted to had a toyota dealership 1/2 mile down the road. 800 bucks later I had a used tranny. The Dealership originally said they would pay, when they found out their insurance wouldn't cover it, they stopped returning my calls. If I hadn't been in Oklahoma and this was in Georgia, I would have had to go to small claims court and sue...

Don't let Wal Mart change your oil, my grandmother had hers changed there and the morons cross threaded the drain plug after draining the crankcase, thankfully all of the oil had not run out but it was close enough.

Jimminy Crimson
2/13/2006, 11:56 PM
You never gave him permission to drive your car, he said he was going out to get some information.

You should own the dealership when all is said and done. :D

proud gonzo
2/14/2006, 12:08 AM
Sue, sue, sue...I had one that when I was in Grad school half a country away, serviced my tranny and FORGOT to add gear lube. 200 miles down the highway, the tranny melted - MELTED! and I was stuck. Luckily for me the exit I coasted to had a toyota dealership 1/2 mile down the road. 800 bucks later I had a used tranny. The Dealership originally said they would pay, when they found out their insurance wouldn't cover it, they stopped returning my calls. If I hadn't been in Oklahoma and this was in Georgia, I would have had to go to small claims court and sue...

I know there's a joke somewhere....

boomersooner28
2/14/2006, 12:10 AM
More good stuff. The salesman calls me at 4:30 this afternoon and says "neither my sales manager or myself believe that we are at fault, but he says that if you bring the truck back to us, we will look at it, and we may fix it for you." One problem dude: I already have the truck in the shop. And what makes you think I would let you fix it when you are the ones who broke it? I told mr. salesman (his last name is Dick, for real! :P ) that I will be contacting his manager first thing in the morning (I was pulling in at work and couldnt talk any longer).

Can you say "Channel 2 Works For You!"

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 12:16 AM
Imagine if the situation were reversed: you ask him for the keys to the new truck to 'get some information'. you drive around the lot, break it, and go back inside to hand him the keys.

You own them.

Stanley1
2/14/2006, 12:25 AM
You never gave him permission to drive your car, he said he was going out to get some information.

You should own the dealership when all is said and done. :D

You'll do quite well in the profession that you are pursuing. :D :texan:

SoonerBorn68
2/14/2006, 12:34 AM
=boomersooner28

Can you say "Channel 2 Works For You!"

Sorry to say, but it ain't gonna happen. Car dealerships spend too much money advertising on the local channels & the TV stations won't jepordize all that ad revenue even if it's a skanky dealership. I worked at dealerships for a long time & every time a customer would threaten the sales or service dept. with the media, they'd just laugh.

Your best bet is to take them to small claims court.

boomersooner28
2/14/2006, 11:05 AM
** Update **

Called Sales Manager this morning...this is what I said:

"this is BS28 …the guy with the broken axle. Since you are in the business I would think that you would know that driving a truck in 4-wheel drive on a paved parking lot and making turns can and will bust an axle. The axle was not broken when I got there, if so you are telling me that your guys didn’t see or hear a busted axle in the inspection?"

He responds with "my guys are telling me that they didnt see/hear anything"

I then say "well, all I really need to know is whether you are going to cut me a check for $805 or if I need to start the legal process....it's that simple."

He responds with "let me get your phone number and I will call you back".

TopDaugIn2000
2/14/2006, 11:07 AM
stay on 'em

SoonerWood
2/14/2006, 11:09 AM
There are enough people on this board that we could really make him think twice about screwing you over.

If nothing else, just to call them and let them know that he's lost ### sales due to the way he mis-handled your situation.

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2006, 11:09 AM
your problem is going to be in proving that you didnt drive into the parking lot with the axle already broken

granted i'm sure you cant drive very far on a broken axle, so it would seem likely that it broke there

ask them who their garage liability insurance is with.....

boomersooner28
2/14/2006, 12:08 PM
JK, the funny thing is that if the axle was broken when I drove the truck there, how could they miss that in an inspection? They did it, they know they did it, and they were hoping that I would just drive out of there not knowing that my frickin axle was broke.

Hamhock
2/14/2006, 01:54 PM
JK, the funny thing is that if the axle was broken when I drove the truck there, how could they miss that in an inspection? They did it, they know they did it, and they were hoping that I would just drive out of there not knowing that my frickin axle was broke.

n.

Vaevictis
2/14/2006, 03:29 PM
I had no idea you couldn't do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanics%29

Details; check the 4x4 part especially.

Hot Rod
2/14/2006, 04:19 PM
BS28, hope this all goes in your favor! I know how car dealerships can be. Keep us all posted!

boomersooner28
2/14/2006, 04:42 PM
Well I called the sales manager at 10:00 a.m. and he said he would call me back. Haven't heard a thing. This has small claims court all over it. I have talked to an Attorney and he said that the major issue is proving that the vehicle was broke when I got back into it, and not that it broke when I was driving it out of the parking lot (which is pretty simple, it was making a gawd awful sound as soon as I started driving it). He says I need to sue Chris Nikel's and find out the name of the person who actually drove it and sue them also. He says that even if I lose, I'll only be out $50-60...well plus my $805.00 already :mad: .

Now my complete goal is to drag this companies name through the mud. I have already started a chain e-mail about it (I hate chain e-mails too!), but in this case I have taken one in the arse. If you want to help pass the e-mail along, please let me know so I can send you a copy.

Thanks, BS28

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2006, 04:46 PM
spare us all the chain email and take out an ad in the newspaper ;)

Hot Rod
2/14/2006, 05:12 PM
We could just call them up and say "so, is this the place that breaks car axles? I'm looking to get ahead in an insurance claim"

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 05:13 PM
Burn the dealership down.

That'll show 'em!

Oh, and are you still interested in buying the truck from said dealership? :texan: haha

mdklatt
2/14/2006, 05:17 PM
Slap a cartoon of Mohammed on the manager's back when he's not paying attention. You won't get any money out the place after it burns to the ground, but it will be satisfying nonetheless.

Jimminy Crimson
2/14/2006, 05:22 PM
Nothing says SCREW YOU, MOTHER TRUCKER like arson! :cool:

soonerjoker
2/15/2006, 11:55 AM
i never heard of a 4 x 4 (= 16) that you couldn't drive on pavement. i had a 79 jeep, kinda crude by todays standards & had no problem with it.

"positraction" doesn't mean that both wheels (front wheels don't matter) turn
as tho licked together. it means that the most power goes to the wheel with
most traction. (where it says "licked", i meant locked. some cars & trucks have
"full time 4wd". does that mean they're for "off-road" only ?? if so, how do you get them to the country ???

SoonerInKCMO
2/15/2006, 12:00 PM
Full-time AWD vehicles don't have locking differentials. Chevy pickups are one of a few part-time AWD vehicles that do have truly locking differentials ... most have limited-slip ones that you're still not supposed to use on pavement - but it's not as likely that you'll break an axle with them if you do.

Mjcpr
2/15/2006, 12:01 PM
So if you're driving on snow and ice in 4WD and come upon a patch of dry pavement, do you swerve or switch back to 2WD?

SoonerWood
2/15/2006, 12:06 PM
So if you're driving on snow and ice in 4WD and come upon a patch of dry pavement, do you swerve or switch back to 2WD?

Just throw 'er in reverse and slam on the gas

soonerjoker
2/15/2006, 12:07 PM
on the old ones, you had to get out & lock the hubs.

OUinFLA
2/15/2006, 12:37 PM
on the old ones, you had to get out & lock the hubs.

I hated that!
I was usually too lazy to do it, so I just trudged on through in 2 wheel drive.

boomersooner28
2/15/2006, 01:01 PM
It's all abot 4X4, pavement, and sharp turning. You're fine if you drive straight or don't make any sharp turns. Hell, I wasn't in the truck, nor did I actually see it happen, so I don't know if the person driving the truck just made a sharp turn and it busted or if he made a turn and gassed it to bust the axle...who knows. All I know is that my truck was fine when I got there, and it was broken when I tried to leave.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/15/2006, 09:42 PM
Well I called the sales manager at 10:00 a.m. and he said he would call me back. Haven't heard a thing. This has small claims court all over it. I have talked to an Attorney and he said that the major issue is proving that the vehicle was broke when I got back into it, and not that it broke when I was driving it out of the parking lot (which is pretty simple, it was making a gawd awful sound as soon as I started driving it). He says I need to sue Chris Nikel's and find out the name of the person who actually drove it and sue them also. He says that even if I lose, I'll only be out $50-60...well plus my $805.00 already :mad: .

Now my complete goal is to drag this companies name through the mud. I have already started a chain e-mail about it (I hate chain e-mails too!), but in this case I have taken one in the arse. If you want to help pass the e-mail along, please let me know so I can send you a copy.

Thanks, BS28

If you do win, you can put a lien on the property...I would guess that includes inventory...

BudSooner
2/15/2006, 09:47 PM
If you do win, you can put a lien on the property...I would guess that includes inventory...

If he does win, maybe he can sell off the tools from the shop...like to a few of his peeps on here? ;)