PDA

View Full Version : What d'ya think

85Sooner
2/12/2006, 02:52 PM
So one of my longhorn co workers who is totally die hard orange told me I was crazy when I said I thought Texas would lose 3 games next year.

I normally don't wager on this stuff but he bet me $500 bacon cheesburgers to my $100 bacon cheesburgers that this won't happen for all regular season and Big 12 CG. I was hungry and couldn't resist.

MiccoMacey
2/12/2006, 03:14 PM
Tastiest money you've ever earned. :)

Cam
2/12/2006, 03:19 PM
I think they're in for a huge let down next year. Three losses wouldn't surprise me at all.

85Sooner
2/12/2006, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking Ohio St, Oklahoma and then one surprise. Like TT or Neb more of a fluke game. Everything went perfectly for them last year. The bounces, the calls and thats what it takes to win the MNC But to lose the most athletic guy on the team as well as the psychological team leader I think will have more effect than many recognize.

westcoast_sooner
2/12/2006, 03:29 PM
tOSU, OU, and one other, fluke or not, is totally not out of the question. I'm thinking nebbish or even A&M - rivalry and all.

snp
2/12/2006, 03:35 PM
That's 25 pounds of hamburger patties.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

85Sooner
2/12/2006, 03:50 PM

I just like the commercial that speaks of money like that.

goingoneight
2/12/2006, 04:36 PM
tOSU, OU, and one other, fluke or not, is totally not out of the question. I'm thinking nebbish or even A&M - rivalry and all.

Wouldn't it be funny if they did beat tOSU, then got ripped apart by OU in the RRS, and then lost to Baylor and OSU at home? Hahaha!!! I could actually see myself rooting for the cow-pokers in that one... as long as they end up bowl eligible, that gives OU all the help they need from outside sources (they just have to win it themselves).

The more I think about all of this though, I see if OU wins out in season play, they will face a tougher Nebraska team, and could face a very tough Ohio State or Notre Dame team for a BCS championship... call me crazy, but I'd rather drop a loss to Oregon or someone before losing another MNC. That's just a preference though, I'll cheer with the best of them if we went, don't get me wrong... it would really suck to get hammered again and hear the rest of the world talk about how we can't finish.

MojoRisen
2/12/2006, 06:22 PM
We will not have to play a Texas o5 or SUC o4 if we won out next year- more along the lines of LSU 03 and we could compete in a game like that- tOSU lost a lot on Defense- but were to me clearly a head above ND and ND's schedule is too tough.

Does anyone see a clearly dominant team next year? West Virginia would clearly have the lightest schedule and highest early ranking.

JohnnyMack
2/12/2006, 06:29 PM
tOSU
Oklahoma
@ Nebraska
@ The Sand Aggies

Could happen. Probably won't, but could lose three of those.

stoopified
2/12/2006, 07:39 PM
Two is likely,three maybe astretch.

goingoneight
2/12/2006, 10:13 PM
I realize that this is the National Champion, but they haven't faced up against the pressure of defending one like our 2001 team did... OUr 2001 team looked near perfect for a returning NC, but stunk up Owen Field against the worst Okie Light team I've seen, and lost a game in Lincoln we should have won. The pressure is tremendous on a defending National Champ, and I don't think UT realizes that yet. Only the strong survive the first couple of games, and only the elite can repeat. With Coach Young taking an NFL job, I question the Texass offense. With Chizik at UT, their D will still be superior. The better way to describe Texas 2006, from this point, only reading into returning players, is to compare them to Alabama 2005, or Oklahoma 2001. Outstanding D, not so much on the O.

chriscappel
2/12/2006, 10:15 PM
thats a lot of burgers....I want Wendys now!

NickZeppelin
2/12/2006, 10:38 PM
Texas could have easily lost 3 games this year. The Big 12 just ended up a lot worse then I thought it would. Texas was to me weaker then they've been. They just got lucky kinda like we did in 2000.

Jimminy Crimson
2/12/2006, 10:52 PM
Is this still assuming :mack: is listening to Paul Wall, 50cent, JayZ and the like?

;)

Octavian
2/13/2006, 01:11 AM
Texas 2006 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

9-2-06 NORTH TEXAS
9-9-06 OHIO STATE (L)
9-16-06 at Rice
9-23-06 IOWA STATE
9-30-06 SAM HOUSTON STATE
10-7-06 vs. Oklahoma @Dallas (L)
10-14-06 BAYLOR
10-21-06 at Nebraska
10-28-06 at Texas Tech
11-4-06 OKLAHOMA STATE
11-11-06 at Kansas State
11-24-06 TEXAS A&M

5 dangerous games....I think they'll drop 3 of em.

Salt City Sooner
2/13/2006, 01:34 AM
"ND's schedule is too tough."
It's a LOT more manageable than in past years. They get both Michigan & Penn St. in South Bend, which, sans USC, should be their 2 toughest games. IMO, unless Ga. Tech comes up with a surprise in the opener, they have a legit shot at going to L.A. in their last game of the year with a chance at playing for the title.

9-2-06 at Georgia Tech
9-9-06 PENN STATE
9-16-06 MICHIGAN
9-23-06 at Michigan State
9-30-06 PURDUE
10-7-06 STANFORD
10-21-06 UCLA
10-28-06 at Navy @Baltimore, MD
11-4-06 NORTH CAROLINA
11-11-06 at Air Force
11-18-06 ARMY
11-25-06 at Southern California

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 10:34 AM
At Georgia Tech and at Michigan State will be toughies. I still think ND wasn't amazing last year, and those two teams usually start pretty hot...

Bevo-Stevo
2/13/2006, 11:29 AM
Texas could have easily lost 3 games this year. The Big 12 just ended up a lot worse then I thought it would. Texas was to me weaker then they've been. They just got lucky kinda like we did in 2000.
Lucky?? Is this a joke? I can see Texas possibly losing 3....just as they could have this lost 3 last year....but it didn't happen. Toughest games will be Oh. St. and Tech. If UT beats the Bucks, they have a great chance to win them all. Not saying they will, but it will give them a great boost. Hook 'Em!!

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 11:44 AM
85, at least you got some sweet odds. ;) You could definitely win that one. Personally, I think we drop 2 this year. We'll see.

And I still don't understand why everybody's already chalking up tOSU as a loss for us. They lost 9 starters off their D, their best 2 OL, their best WR, and they'll be playing in our house in the Texas September heat. I'm honestly more afraid of OU, as well Tech and Nebraska (both away).

NickZeppelin
2/13/2006, 12:38 PM
OU isn't going to have the talent Ohio State has especially at line and at QB. OU is going to be more down next year then they were this past year IMO. Ohio State has some good RBs still has a good line and has great WRs. I don't see the same for OU.

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 12:45 PM
11-18-06 ARMY

I don't know. I think Army in South Bend is pretty dangerous. I'm only half kidding. Anybody there for the last one like I was? Go Army! Beat the Domers! Woohoo.

Oh, come on...it's not that stupid.

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 01:02 PM
OU isn't going to have the talent Ohio State has especially at line and at QB. OU is going to be more down next year then they were this past year IMO. Ohio State has some good RBs still has a good line and has great WRs. I don't see the same for OU.
OU will have a much better defense than the Buckeyes (losing 9 starters will hurt them). OU will have a much better D line than tOSU. Your secondary will be better. Your LBs will be better.

Offenses are a wash IMO between the two. Santonio Holmes was their go to guy. Ted Ginn can be taken out of it (Notre Dame's D was awful).

NickZeppelin
2/13/2006, 01:10 PM
I disagree. Maybe the LBs are better but we lose our best DT and 2 DBs are gone.

RooseveltRoughRider
2/13/2006, 01:18 PM
Put it this way, Texas COULD lose 3 of those games.
But if they did'nt lose ANY, I would be that surprised either.
I think people really overlook their team. Aside from the Rose Bowl, Vince young had mediocre games in their biggest games. ATm, OU and tOSU. The people overlooking the 16 starters returning are infor a rude awakening in my opinion. It could really go either way, but like I said. I would be surprised at all if they won all those games. People over emphasize VY when the real deal with their team is if they were not as solid in every area as they were, they would have lost games with or without VY. This past year they has the best OL, Backfield and Secondary I have seen them have, and it wont be different this year, cept for QB.

Octavian
2/13/2006, 01:18 PM
Ohio State has some good RBs and...WRs. I don't see the same for OU.

whats your helper dog's name?

RooseveltRoughRider
2/13/2006, 01:21 PM
My reasons for them winning the tough games..

#1- tOSU- they lost their entire defense
#2- OU- Line mismatches, Sooner Secondary vs. their recievers and back is mismatch.

#3 Nebraska- Nebraska has never beat Texas in Regular Season Big 12 Play, in austin or lincoln.

#4 Aggies: They go to Austin this year.

Who else will beat them??

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 01:27 PM
My reasons for them winning the tough games..

#1- tOSU- they lost their entire defense
#2- OU- Line mismatches, Sooner Secondary vs. their recievers and back is mismatch.

#3 Nebraska- Nebraska has never beat Texas in Regular Season Big 12 Play, in austin or lincoln.

#4 Aggies: They go to Austin this year.

Who else will beat them??
Lubbock's always a trip up game. Never know what the refs will do out there. ;) I still think we lose a couple this year.

85Sooner
2/13/2006, 01:30 PM
Lubbock's always a trip up game. Never know what the refs will do out there. ;) I still think we lose a couple this year.

If its 3 I'll be 500$ happier.

RooseveltRoughRider
2/13/2006, 01:31 PM
Probably, but like I said...they dont lose enough talent nor does everyone else gain enough for them to fall of the map. People are gonna have to play lights out to beat them. Everyone has the "oh we can beat Texas easily this year" mentality when the fact of the matter is Texas didnt just beat everyone last year. They blew everyone in the conference out.

caphorns
2/13/2006, 02:24 PM
VY torches your D and tOSU's D and he couldn't even pass. Imagine what a QB that can pass will do :rolleyes:

FlatheadSooner
2/13/2006, 02:27 PM

That's about 25 hamburgers at Big Ed's.

Big Ed's still in Norman?

Salt City Sooner
2/13/2006, 02:36 PM
post deleted

snp
2/13/2006, 03:00 PM
That's about 25 hamburgers at Big Ed's.

Big Ed's still in Norman?

No idea, where was it located? But as far as burgers are concerned I've found a new love - Goldies.

Holy crap that place is awesome. Everything else is dead to me.

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 03:21 PM
The people overlooking the 16 starters returning are infor a rude awakening in my opinion. This past year they has the best OL, Backfield and Secondary I have seen them have, and it wont be different this year, cept for QB.

I count 13. They lose David Thomas (TE), Will Allen (RG), Jonathan Scott (LT), Ahmard Hall (FB), and Vince Young (QB) from Offense. They lose Rod Wright (DT), Aaron Harris (LB), Cedric Griffin (CB), and Michael Huff (S) from defense. They lose David Pino (PK) and Richmond McGee (P) from Special Teams.

Call me crazy, but losing 9 starters and both kickers doesn't leave them with the same stacked deck. The fact that they lost VY merely means they have to break in a new QB with a retooled OL (although bringing back Studdard, Blalock and Sendlein is good for them). They will be a little weaker this year and will probably lose a couple. They may lose a few if the new QB doesn't catch on quickly. Getting Okam and Griffin (Michael - the one that made that awesome INT in the Rose Bowl) is big, but losing Harris, Wright, and 2 of their back 4 is bigger.

So there it is...OL, backfield, and secondary will all have to retool. I predict 3 losses...OU, @NU, and aTm. Why not tosu? They have even bigger loss issues than saxet. Almost their whole D is gone, and their offense needs a total refit. It will look like a huge win when saxet beats them on September 9, but it will be even bigger when we beat saxet in Dallas three weeks later.

Luthor
2/13/2006, 04:28 PM
I think we may have as good a shot at the MNC as anyone else this year mostly because I don't believe there will be an undefeated team left by season end. I don't think we have to have a tOSU win to qualify. Obviously we need to win in Dallas. I think there were too many significant roster losses by the major contenders for anybody to come out unscathed. Of course, USC does play in the Puke10 but I don't think they survive the domers this time around. The only 2 teams who may have a leg up on going undefeated are maybe ND and LSU. LSU is a stretch because Lester has always been good for at least 1, or possibly 2 total brain farts per year.

I just think it is fruit basket turn over in 06 because of some many roster losses. We lose VY but we return the core of the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 04:36 PM
I predict 3 losses...OU, @NU, and aTm...
We could very well lose 2, even 3, but one of those losses won't be to aggy in Austin. Our tough games are in this order: OU, tOSU, Nebraska, Tech...Baylor and lastly, a&m.

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 04:59 PM
Texas will have to be really bad to lose to aggy in Austin. Though, it's happened to us so it could happen to them...

Honestly, I think you underestimate the intangibles that your leaving players gave the team. VY was the coach. Period. Huff was the defensive coach. You lose Thomas who was the safety valve. That's a lot of mental keys that have changed drastically.

To be fair, I think our D will suffer the same way. Our O will be 18x better even if our Oline doesn't have the "experience" that our last one did. Players fit positions, have more game time experience, etc. But on D we lose both Dusty and Ingram. Those two were big leaders, and you can't underestimate how well they helped our defense's focus. Look for our D to be shaky at the start, but completely dominate down the line as players get more comfortable around each other.

GDC
2/13/2006, 05:00 PM
Hurry up, Tuesday.

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 05:06 PM
Hurry up, Tuesday.
You always add so much. :rolleyes: And again, this thread was started by a Sooner.

People are always able to have decent conversations on this board until you show up.

Cam
2/13/2006, 07:00 PM
VY torches your D and tOSU's D and he couldn't even pass. Imagine what a QB that can pass will do :rolleyes:
If you had one on your roster that could, then I'd be less worried. Problem is that you don't have anybody that's thrown more than 20 balls in college.

Starting a new QB can be the succ.

Bevo-Stevo
2/13/2006, 07:12 PM
If you had one on your roster that could, then I'd be less worried. Problem is that you don't have anybody that's thrown more than 20 balls in college.

Starting a new QB can be the succ.

How about ZERO throws in college? Nothing like an adventure to start the year. Hook 'Em!!

BASSooner
2/13/2006, 07:58 PM
How about ZERO throws in college? Nothing like an adventure to start the year. Hook 'Em!!
Prepare yourself. Snead sucks. I saw him play from the stands. He threw about 2 picks against a medicore team:cool: and fumbled the ball all in the same quarter.

Cam
2/13/2006, 08:35 PM
Psst, PT had more combined throws in college his Fr year than any QB you've got on the roster. If I remember the numbers correctly, he had nearly 3x's the attempts before his first start.

But hey, nothing to be worried about. :eek:

BASSooner
2/13/2006, 08:37 PM
PWNED