PDA

View Full Version : Official Winter Olympics Thread

GottaHavePride
2/11/2006, 04:23 PM
Thought someone should start this one.

Nordic Combined, Speed Skating, and Luge today.

ouflak
2/11/2006, 04:44 PM
USA just got our first gold medal in the 5000m speedskating.

Ruuuuuufus
2/11/2006, 05:08 PM
I just gotta take a moment for a shout out to my boy Shaun White, who will be an Olympic gold medalist this time tomorrow :)

GottaHavePride
2/11/2006, 05:45 PM
Good finish on the Nordic Combined - the race for bronze came down to a difference of two inches.

chriscappel
2/11/2006, 06:11 PM
Did the Womens Hockey team win??? I only saw the first little bit of it

Ruuuuuufus
2/12/2006, 12:06 PM
Spoiler alert:

YEAH Shaun White won gold!!!!!!! :)

It will be on TV tonight. Danny Kass got silver and Mason Aguirre 4th.

GottaHavePride
2/12/2006, 02:19 PM
Did the Womens Hockey team win??? I only saw the first little bit of it

Yes, like 6-0. They're playing Germany right now, up 4-0 near the end of the 2nd.

(Yeah, I could go look up the results on the internet - but where's the fun in that?)

ouflak
2/12/2006, 03:15 PM
Looked like Ohno was done for in the 1500 speed skating semi-final after a fall. But they disqualified a Belgium that finished just ahead of him, so he got through. There might be just a bit of contraversy there...

GottaHavePride
2/12/2006, 03:39 PM
I musta missed that one. Did anyone catch why the Norwegian (I think) girl had to withdraw from the pursuit?

GottaHavePride
2/12/2006, 03:43 PM
Nevermind; looked it up - stomach problems.

GottaHavePride
2/13/2006, 01:33 AM
Looked like Ohno was done for in the 1500 speed skating semi-final after a fall. But they disqualified a Belgium that finished just ahead of him, so he got through. There might be just a bit of contraversy there...
Apparently he was in the "B" final - no medal for him, and he almost didn't show up for the race at all. Lots of shenanigans on the short track. That was actually one of the girls that got through to the finals because they disqualified a girl in front of her for "impeding". Basically, she cut off the US girl in a turn and I guess that's illegal.

Oh, and the Canadian chick that took the gold on the moguls - Jennifer Heil - is pretty cute.

RacerX
2/13/2006, 07:37 AM
Short track, whatever.

mrowl
2/13/2006, 12:46 PM
ouch.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/2006/0213/5103474_640X480.jpg

Mjcpr
2/13/2006, 02:53 PM
The Flying Tomato!!

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 12:35 AM
Holy cow. I'm not much of a figure skating fan, but did you cath the Chinese pair that took the silver medal? Tried one of those insanely hard moves where he tosses the girl and she does some quadruple-spin thing in the air, but she landed badly and cracked right on her knees. After the coach checked her out she went back out and finished the routine without missing a thing - got a silver medal for it. Probably would have had gold if she hadn't fallen. Damn. Girl is tough. (and hawt)

AllAboutThe'O'
2/14/2006, 01:38 AM
I just gotta take a moment for a shout out to my boy Shaun White, who will be an Olympic gold medalist this time tomorrow :)
According to P.T.I. today, Tony and Mike said that Shaun White's next task is to use his gold medal and his "charm" in winning a date with U.S. figure skater Sasha Cohen. Their "5 Good Minutes" guest, USA Today columnist Christine Brennan, recalled that in the '88 Winter Games, Alberto Tomba the skier was trying to win the affection of Katarina Witt and sent her flowers after one of her performances, but Witt gave Tomba the brush-off. Interesting to see if White can snag Sasha.

Scott D
2/14/2006, 11:49 AM
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/06.05/photos/26-botterill1-450.jpg

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2006, 11:53 AM
Don't know if we are spoiling things here but in the Men's combined Bode Miller was leading after the Downhill and the first Slalom run, but now before he's even run his 2nd slalom run, it's says his disqualified. Anyone heard anything? I'm at work and can't watch live.

Update: found it. He straddled a gate and was DQ'd. That sucks.

Scott D
2/14/2006, 12:30 PM
less Bode Miller colley, more talk about Jennifer Botterill

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2006, 12:44 PM
I thought that was Bode Miller :eek:

GottaHavePride
2/14/2006, 11:31 PM
According to P.T.I. today, Tony and Mike said that Shaun White's next task is to use his gold medal and his "charm" in winning a date with U.S. figure skater Sasha Cohen.

They also spent quite a lot of time bitching and moaning about the previously mentioned Chinese figure skaters winning a medal after they "got to take a rest in the middle of their routine". I for one thought it was pretty incredible that they went back out there and finished assuming they would get nothing. In other words, it just reinforced my opinion that Tony and Mike = asshats.

GrapevineSooner
2/15/2006, 11:48 AM
How about more Tanith Belbin?

Or those sisters from the US Curling Team (http://www.usolympicteam.com/117_44031.htm)?

http://icechampions.free.fr/images/lalique2003/lalique2003/oibelbin.jpg

ouflak
2/18/2006, 04:17 PM
Well the men's hockey team has just lost to Slovakia (?) 2-1. We have gotten three medals in the speed skating though including a gold/silver sweep in the 1000m.

GottaHavePride
2/20/2006, 12:50 AM
How about more Tanith Belbin?

Or those sisters from the US Curling Team (http://www.usolympicteam.com/117_44031.htm)?

http://icechampions.free.fr/images/lalique2003/lalique2003/oibelbin.jpg

Hawt. But did you see the Italian chick in the yellow? Faiella, I think? Dayum. Like a double cheeseburger.

Fugue
2/21/2006, 11:14 AM
there were some real beauties ice dancing but Tanith pwns me. Her face may actually be perfect.

Cam
2/21/2006, 10:27 PM
Emily Hughes is a cutey for a HS gal.

Tanith even looks good when she goes to practice. She's just smokin.

ouflak
2/22/2006, 02:31 AM
Does anybody know how our Men's Hockey team qualified for the quarterfinals despite their relatively poor performance? I can't find a rules section anywhere that explains this. I assume it must have something to do with overrall points scored for/against, because it certainly didn't have much to do with our win/loss results.

Fugue
2/22/2006, 09:45 AM
Does anybody know how our Men's Hockey team qualified for the quarterfinals despite their relatively poor performance? I can't find a rules section anywhere that explains this. I assume it must have something to do with overrall points scored for/against, because it certainly didn't have much to do with our win/loss results.

I think they are in because even as bad as they played, 4 out of 6 in the pool go and the two left out played even worse. It is a point system and I don't think the two losers had more than 2 each while the US had 3.

Fugue
2/22/2006, 12:29 PM
2-1 Fin. after 1.

Fugue
2/22/2006, 12:36 PM
2-2

Fugue
2/22/2006, 01:03 PM
gettin' ugly

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2006, 01:36 PM
I think they are in because even as bad as they played, 4 out of 6 in the pool go and the two left out played even worse. It is a point system and I don't think the two losers had more than 2 each while the US had 3.

Kazakhstan only had one win in pool play while Latvia only had a tie.

Thus, the U.S. advanced by virtue of their tie with Latvia and their win over Kazakhstan.

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 02:08 PM
US got beat 4-3 by Finland, but at least made a game of it.

Boomer.....
2/22/2006, 02:16 PM
The U.S. mens hockey team finishes with a record of 1-4-1! :eek:

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2006, 02:55 PM
Nice effort, but they couldn't got offense when they needed it. When they finally got a little offense in the last two games, their defense let them down.

Oh well, this wasn't a particularly strong roster Team USA fielded. Out of the older bunch of players, only Mike Modano and Mathieu Schneider made much of an impact.

The team in 2010 should be much stronger considering how well the Junior team did this year.

Scott D
2/22/2006, 04:46 PM

point totals, we finished ahead of latvia and khazakstan. I didn't expect much from this US team to be honest, the primary goal scorers on the roster have been relatively cold for most of the season in terms of scoring, and that ended up biting this team in the ***. Finland, on the other hand has been flat out dominant so far in the Olympics and as far as I'm concerned the front runner to win the Gold Medal.

TUSooner
2/22/2006, 05:21 PM
Working at home the last few days has allowed me to watch Oly hockey live with one eye. It's been a blast with games on all day.
OTOH, USA and Canada were both big disappointments. I guess I'll start pulling for the Finns; at least they seem to want it enough to work hard for it.

GrapevineSooner
2/22/2006, 05:39 PM
Canada's not just considered a disappointment.

They're considered a failure given the fact they were shut out in this tournament three times over the last four games.

mrowl
2/22/2006, 05:50 PM
hopefully karma is slapping the great one in the face.

Scott D
2/22/2006, 08:39 PM
heh.....Russia was the biggest wildcard going into the Olympics actually. They're playing more like the team that won the gold medal in 92 than the versions they've sent to the Olympics since (full of me first instead of team and country first). I think the winner of their game with Finland wins the Gold, however don't count Sweden out if Forsberg plays.

mrowl
2/23/2006, 10:33 AM
Everything Modano said yesterday, I agree with. USHockey needs a makeover. We should have an awesome team heading into 2010, but we won't as things stand right now.

And the NFL should reconsider allowing players to play in 2010. It will be very well attended no matter who plays, its in Canada for crying out loud. But that is the one reason that they WANT the NHL players in. For media\fan attention maybe with the games in North America.

Fugue
2/23/2006, 12:29 PM
Everything Modano said yesterday, I agree with. USHockey needs a makeover. We should have an awesome team heading into 2010, but we won't as things stand right now.

And the NFL should reconsider allowing players to play in 2010. It will be very well attended no matter who plays, its in Canada for crying out loud. But that is the one reason that they WANT the NHL players in. For media\fan attention maybe with the games in North America.

that would be great, office linebacker on ice. :texan:

I agree, makeover needed. They looked old and slo.

HoserSooner
2/23/2006, 02:52 PM
Canada's not just considered a disappointment.

They're considered a failure given the fact they were shut out in this tournament three times over the last four games.

Big ice + big slow players is pretty much why both the Americans and Canadians are watching from the sidelines.

The Europeans are small, but they can move, and you can't hit what you can't catch. Look at who Canada didn't put on the ice vs. who they did, and there's you answer. Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, and the wonder boy Sidney Crosby could have done some serious damage. And I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why Paul Kariya is sitting at home, while Todd Bertuzzi, Shane Doan, and Kris Draper were wearing the maple leaf. :confused:

Biggest difference between now and 2002....no Steve Yzerman and Mario Lemieux. :(

ouflak
2/23/2006, 04:16 PM
Well I guess that's it for Sasha winning the gold...

Fugue
2/23/2006, 04:47 PM
Well I guess that's it for Sasha winning the gold...

she'll be lucky to get anything, that sucks. Poor Bendy. :(

ouflak
2/23/2006, 05:02 PM
Got the silver. That Russian has a nice butt.

ouflak
2/25/2006, 03:10 PM
Ohno picks up a gold medal in the speed skate 500!

GrapevineSooner
2/26/2006, 12:10 AM
Ohno picks up a gold medal in the speed skate 500!

They have to skate 500 miles :confused:

Nevermind, I thought this was a Nascar event. :D

ouflak
2/26/2006, 03:57 PM
Man I thnk this closing ceremony is going to up the Global Warming temperature a degree or two.

mrowl
2/26/2006, 04:50 PM
Man I thnk this closing ceremony is going up the Global Warming temperature a degree or two.

?

and I thought it was on tonight?

GottaHavePride
2/26/2006, 05:44 PM
It IS night in Manchester. The bastage.

ouflak
2/26/2006, 06:50 PM
You guys are behind the times! ;)

I won't spoil things for you then. I will say however that I was a bit surprised that they managed to get all of the female competitors from the speedskating to do those routines wearing nothing but Italian lingerie though...

GottaHavePride
2/27/2006, 12:42 AM
Ha ha ha. I thought the closing ceremonies were pretty freaking cool right up until they brought out Ricky Martin. They kinda lost me after that. But the skydiving dudes and the clown marching band were totally flippin ninja sweet. Those clowns totally pwned the Pride. ;)

OUthunder
2/27/2006, 09:50 AM
YAWN

mrowl
2/27/2006, 12:28 PM
So they have the great andrea bocelli perform ONE SONG.

And then Ricky Brokeback Martin comes out and everything jumps the shark.

GottaHavePride
2/27/2006, 04:59 PM
YAWN

I'll assume that means you stayed up till 4 am watching the replay, right?

OUthunder
2/27/2006, 05:25 PM
I'll assume that means you stayed up till 4 am watching the replay, right?

Ummm nope.