PDA

View Full Version : My last day at work..

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 02:44 PM
OK, I've got to give you some background on this story:

On the third, a new teller deposited a check into the wrong person's account. The error was not discovered for a couple of days, at which point the money was taken out of the wrong person's account and put in the correct account. A phone call was made to both members, though the second one was left a message because she did not answer her phone.

Yesterday, the owner of the wrong account comes storming into my office wanting to know why her account only had 72 dollars in it. I explained the situation very nicely to her, and she agreed that the check that had been deposited to her account wasn't hers.

Here's where it gets weird:

On the third, this woman called our phone center to get her balance-which at the time included the 1500 extra from the misdeposit. She admits that at the time it seemed odd that she had that much money in her account, but did not bother to check the amounts of any recent deposits into her account.

She goes out and blows all the money that SHOULD be in her account and makes an appointment to get a bunch of work done on her car.

Now she's in my office and is DEMANDING that I give her $1500 so she can pay to get her car out of hock at the dealership because we TOLD her that the money was in her account and she relied on that information. I explained to her that she had a duty to know approximately (at least) what was in her account and that a $1500 discrepancy is something she should have at least been curious about. I offer to look at a loan for her, which she won't even hear of-we should GIVE her $1500 because we told her she had it. She claims that she wasn't curious about the extra money because sometimes people in her church just "deposit money to my account to bless me."

After about 15 minutes of her yelling at me and carrying on, lunging across my desk to grab my monitor and cursing, I finally had it.

"Lady, listen to me. The money wasn't yours. It was never yours. You live close enough to the line in your account that you darn well KNEW you didn't have an extra $1500 in your account. If you think I'm just going to GIVE you $1500, you're nuts. I know you're probably going to complain to my boss, and that's fine. Here's the situation: you're in the wrong. When you call my boss and complain, he's going to tell you you're wrong. When you call HIS boss and complain, he's going to tell you you're wrong. Just to save you time, if you call an attorney, HE'S going to tell you you're wrong. If you have anything NEW to add to the conversation, great. Otherwise, please get out of my office."

This week has done wonders for my stress level.

ultimatesooner1
2/11/2006, 03:12 PM
nice, thats why I have a job where I don't have to talk to customers all of the time but when I do talk to them it is usually to deliver bad news

OUHOMER
2/11/2006, 05:59 PM
this is what i deal with serveral times a day. In the airfreight biz. I am sorry your parts did not come in today. Oh it shut down your plant, I am sorry but i did mention the guarenteed service we have. but you decided to take your chances and save $137.00. OH its costing you $1000.00 an hour and your boss said what, he was proud of you yesterday for saving him money now hes ****ed at you.. WOW. I will do everything to make sure it is here tomorrow and get delivered asap.

YAta yata yata..

GottaHavePride
2/11/2006, 06:04 PM
Yatta?

http://bellsouthpwp.net/p/i/pitcoc_j/images/yatta.jpg

85Sooner
2/11/2006, 06:31 PM
yOU HANDLES THAT PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sPEK

TheLurker
2/11/2006, 06:51 PM
http://luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/tom/tom2.jpg
I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Jerk
2/11/2006, 07:50 PM
That reminds me of the time me and the wife unit were in a arse load of debt several years ago and this lady was like "Pray to God it will go away, maybe He'll make the credit card companies lose your accounts." I was thinking..."hmmm? The Almighty will help us steal money?"

Mjcpr
2/11/2006, 07:52 PM
That reminds me of the time me and the wife unit were in a arse load of debt several years ago and this lady was like "Pray to God it will go away, maybe He'll make the credit card companies lose your accounts." I was thinking..."hmmm? The Almighty will help us steal money?"

He's been helping Televangelists do it since 1962.

I'll save everyone a seat down here!!

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 08:19 PM

Thank you, sir. Thank you so much.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 08:20 PM
Also nice for me: I was moving some stuff into my new office on Friday and ran into a couple of my new co-workers. One looked at me and said four of the sweetest words I've ever heard:

"Lose the dang tie."

yermom
2/11/2006, 09:13 PM
c'mon Froz, you didn't want to "bless" her?

it was your last day, what are they gonna do?

she should have gotten the cash

this story would have been a lot more fun at that point :D

oumartin
2/11/2006, 09:24 PM
I would have asked for favors in exchange for the 1,500 had she been hawt.

yermom
2/11/2006, 09:27 PM
i'm guessing that if she needs "blessings" from her church, she's not ;)

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 10:33 PM
Someone in the office put it well when they asked me if I'd hidden some dalmations or sometihng to upset Cruella so much.

oumartin
2/11/2006, 10:35 PM
eeewww.. Nuff said..
You must be a patient man to put up with some peoples ignorance.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 10:36 PM
Not really. That's why yesterday was my last day and my blood pressure is already down 10 points.

oumartin
2/11/2006, 10:46 PM
are you out of the banking business though? wont this job bring you the same grief?

Mjcpr
2/11/2006, 10:52 PM
are you out of the banking business though? wont this job bring you the same grief?

ALL jobs bring grief of varying forms and degrees.

It's my opinion that most of us work because we have to and only the very lucky, select few actually love their jobs. But maybe it's just me. ;)

oumartin
2/11/2006, 10:56 PM
I love my job!

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 10:58 PM

Yep, out of banking entirely and into insurance.

The major differences between my new job and my old job:

1. I'm not a manager anymore, so I no longer have to eat crap because someone else ****ed up. Major source of frustration.

2. Since I'm a broker instead of an agent, when someone complains that a particular policy doesn't cover something they need covered I can either find a company that does or send it to surplus lines instead of saying "we don't do that, so sorry." That used to **** me off to no end.

3. More on not being a manager: I don't have to worry about other people showing up for work on time. I don't have to worry about other people hitting their sales goals. I don't have to worry about turnover or training. It's just me, baby.

4. I'm no longer dealing with deposit accounts or loans anymore-I'm dealing with commercial lines insurance. While I'm sure that there are business owners that are ignorant and/or crooked, I'm guessing that the percentage is a mite bit lower than what I got over the counter at the credit union. Couple that with the fact that my boss only wants me to deal with high-dollar accounts and I think I'm just going to be dealing with a lot fewer headaches. Which isn't to say that owners of thriving businesses can't be a pain in the ***, but at least they'll be earning me commissions.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 10:59 PM
ALL jobs bring grief of varying forms and degrees.

It's my opinion that most of us work because we have to and only the very lucky, select few actually love their jobs. But maybe it's just me. ;)

I used to love my job. No joke. I used to be excited when weekends were over and never take vacations. That's what I'm kind of hoping to recapture.

Mjcpr
2/11/2006, 11:04 PM
Dang. So it is just me?

oumartin
2/11/2006, 11:05 PM
so, now that you are out of banking you can let us know.
Did you ever take any $$$$ under the table from the infamous Alaskan mob? ;)

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 11:06 PM
Don't get me wrong. Work's never been one of my FAVORITE things. I'd sure rather be getting hummers from Angelina Jolie than working. But up until recently, it wasn't such a drag that I hated going in.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 11:07 PM
so, now that you are out of banking you can let us know.
Did you ever take any $$$$ under the table from the infamous Alaskan mob? ;)

Heh. Never.

Actually, my CEO talked to me yesterday for about 10 mintes about how much he appreciated my integrity and how he wished more people who worked for him exhibited the same. :D