PDA

View Full Version : Coach Eddie is gonna be fine...

Okla-homey
2/11/2006, 10:22 AM
but he'll be needing a new Durango.:eddie:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/3290/060211b1sutto8811b1crash110jg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Tulsa World photo of post-crash Sutton-mobile

Sutton injured in accident
By JIMMIE TRAMEL AND PATTI WEAVER
Tulsa World Staff Writers
2/11/2006

STILLWATER -- Oklahoma State basketball coach Eddie Sutton sustained a head injury in a Friday automobile accident and did not accompany his team to College Station, Texas, for a Saturday game against Texas A&M.

Sutton, 69, was in good condition late Friday, said Stillwater Medical Center's chief financial officer, Karen Hendren. He was admitted for overnight observation and Gary Shutt, OSU's director of communications, said Friday night that Sutton hopes to be dismissed from the hospital Saturday.

Shutt said Sutton is "a little banged up," but is doing well and appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers. OSU officials said Sutton's face sustained bruises and lacerations.

Shutt said Sutton "seemed to be fine" and is "doing pretty well, considering what he's been through." Sutton's wife, Patsy, joined him at the hospital.

"I just talked to him," Shutt said. "He's ready to get out of there and be with the team."

Sutton is not expected to join the Cowboys on Saturday. Shutt said he imagines Sutton will watch the OSU-A&M game on television. Sutton was on his way to the airport to catch a team flight when the accident occurred.

At 5:45 p.m. Friday, members of the Stillwater Police Department and Stillwater Fire Department responded to a report of a two-car accident in the 3000 block of North Washington.

A press release issued Friday night by the Stillwater Police Department provided details of the accident. Sutton was traveling northbound on Washington in a Dodge Durango, according to the release, and traveled left of the center line before correcting and striking a Chevrolet Suburban from behind at approximately 60 mph.

Sutton's vehicle continued northbound for approximately one-eighth of a mile before leaving the roadway and striking a tree, according to the press release.

Sutton was taken to the Stillwater Medical Center emergency room for evaluation and treatment. Initial reports of Sutton's condition varied, but OSU athletic director Mike Holder provided clarification by saying Sutton's injuries were not life-threatening.

The occupant of the Suburban sustained minor injuries and was released, according to the police report, which also stated the investigation is ongoing and will be forwarded to the Payne County district attorney's office for review to determine if charges are warranted.

Shutt said Sutton feels for the person in the other vehicle and is happy the person wasn't more seriously injured.

OSU players and assistant coaches traveled without Sutton to College Station, Texas, Friday night. Because of a delayed arrival, the Cowboys did not go to Reed Arena for a scheduled walk-through practice and instead went directly to a team hotel.

Sutton has endured chronic back pain the last two seasons and back troubles caused him to miss the Cowboys' most recent season opener. His son, associate head coach and head coach designate Sean Sutton, filled in during the season opener and will take over the program when his father retires. Sean Sutton did not return a Friday phone message from the Tulsa World.

OSU president David Schmidly said he was relieved to learn Sutton and the occupant of the other car involved in the accident were both going to be fine.

"We are grateful there were no serious injures and encouraged by Coach Sutton's desire to rejoin his team as soon as possible," Schmidly said in a prepared statement.

Eddie Sutton has said he won't decide if he will coach another year until after this season, but the car accident likely will fuel speculation that this is Sutton's last season.

BajaOklahoma
2/11/2006, 10:36 AM
Talk about back pain......
Happy both drivers are going to be okay.

DeadSolidPerfect
2/11/2006, 11:11 AM
:) :eddie: :) :eddie: :) :eddie:

sanantoniosooner
2/11/2006, 11:30 AM
Okay, I'll ask it...blood alcohol test done?
.04 prune juice.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2006, 02:45 PM
.04 prune juice.and .06 sheep dip(whatever that is):O

KABOOKIE
2/11/2006, 02:45 PM
He'd a died in a Japomobile. :D

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2006, 02:52 PM
Apparently Sutton had banged his head pretty hard earlier in the day and the thought is that he had a undiagnosed concussion which caused him to lose control of the vehicle.

At least that's what I'm hearing.

Zbird
2/11/2006, 11:09 PM
Maybe it was atempted suicide considering his team record and looming NIT appearance. Good thing it was his face that was hurt. It couldn't be damaged too much worse.

:eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie:: eddie:

oumartin
2/11/2006, 11:37 PM
they won't even get into the NIT.

I think that story of him falling in the GIA was to divert all the boozin' talk.

william_brasky
2/12/2006, 07:35 AM
dang, the wreck did more damage that I had imagined.

Will Eddie make the SUV put the football pads on tomorrow cause it wasn't tough enough?

walkoffsooner
2/12/2006, 08:55 AM
I saw on the news last night he fell in the parking lot before he got in Durango.They said 5-6 to weeks for blood test I live in a small town it takes about an hour here. I think?

sooner_born_1960
2/12/2006, 10:16 AM
I saw that 5-6 weeks crap too. Hope he doesn't have any serious problems. He'd be dead before they got the blood work done.

yermom
2/12/2006, 10:34 AM
5-6 weeks?

surely he would have sobered up by then

Soonrboy
2/12/2006, 10:36 AM
the husband of the woman in the other car seemed pretty ****ed when they interviewed him on tv. Yeah, 6 weeks...isn't that about the time the season is officially over for them?

JohnnyMack
2/12/2006, 12:04 PM
isn't that about the time the season is officially over for them?

That would have been right after the Northwestern State game.

SoonerDood
2/12/2006, 12:23 PM
Northwestern State is a solid team!

Flagstaffsooner
2/12/2006, 12:55 PM
He was saved not by an air bag, but the exploding Fed-Ex box of cash in his lap.:D

Jimminy Crimson
2/12/2006, 01:35 PM
That's what he gets for driving a durango. :eddie:

Zbird
2/12/2006, 06:15 PM
dang, the wreck did more damage that I had imagined.

Will Eddie make the SUV put the football pads on tomorrow cause it wasn't tough enough?

BB season over in 5-6 weeks? Is that a coincidence or what?

:cool:

JohnnyMack
2/12/2006, 06:24 PM
If, and it's a big if, but not a huge if considering Sutton's past, but if he was drinking, I wonder if we'll evar find out the troof.