PDA

View Full Version : I am trying to be objective here...

Soonerus
2/11/2006, 01:01 AM
...Is it just me or did Bookout come to OU with the hype of being the next Bill Lambeer heading to a certain NBA career and never really develop beyond a "nice" player or am I missing something ? I think Griffin will likely become a better overall player at OU than Bookout...Please understand I think Bookout is really good but he really hasn't developed much since his freshman year...I know about injuries, etc... but ????

oumartin
2/11/2006, 01:12 AM
just never developed it doesn't appear. never got a jump shot either.
that can be said about more than just Bookout though. Happens alot I'm betting.

birddog
2/11/2006, 01:13 AM
Well, I don't remember much about the hype or expectations when he arrived on campus but he certainly hasn't progressed much from his freshman year as far as scoring. Injuries played a big role I would say but he was never the most athletic guy in the world. Bookout's probably one of the most reliable, hard working, consistent player on the team. He is a real student athlete and will always have my respect for what he's done for 4 years. He's brought alot of integrity to the program.
I think we'll be seeing him in the Olympics in the future.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/11/2006, 01:45 AM
I believe one of the most unfortunate aspects of college and professional sports is the fact fans have been so desensitized to injuries and the pain athletes experience on an every day basis. If a player gets hurt it better not have the words "sprained" or "hyper-extension" or "fractured" tied to it ... because if it isn't broken or torn in half, that player is expected to play.

Kevin Bookout just played his best game of the season Wednesday night in a win over Oklahoma State, and here his abilities are questioned because someone doesn't believe he's lived up to his initial hype.

Well, people can poo poo the injury "excuse" all they'd like, but the truth is Bookout has played almost his entire career with injuries that would have kept most kids on the sidelines or out of the program completely.

Between his elbow and shoulder surgeries and now his broken hand, it's amazing he has been as productive as he has been. He's without a doubt a warrior when it comes to stepping up and playing his guts out for his team no matter how much pain he's in.

Has he lived up to the hype? Probably not. But it certainly hasn't been for lack of trying, despite all of the suffering he's gone through.

And if people don't believe he's developed as a player from the time he was a freshman, they'd better check out his numbers — they have improved every season. He owns the second-best field goal percentage in school history and he's averaged almost seven boards a game with elbow and shoulder injuries that barely allowed him to lift his arms over his head at times.

If there is any knock on Kevin Bookout it's that he's too nice. He just needs to play mad off more often.

birddog
2/11/2006, 02:46 AM
Can you please post his stats from each year? I know he's been injured but I would hope his stats got better each year. As you learn the system, mature, and gain confidence your numbers should go up.

msteudem
2/11/2006, 03:10 AM
Can you please post his stats from each year? I know he's been injured but I would hope his stats got better each year. As you learn the system, mature, and gain confidence your numbers should go up.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2515&SPID=192&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=10474&Q_SEASON=2005

birddog
2/11/2006, 03:14 AM
That's about what I thought. Thanks.

msteudem
2/11/2006, 03:28 AM
Bookout has been very valuable to this team over his college career. All you have to do is look back at the 03-04 season when he was playing hurt and finally had to have surgery. He missed the last 17 games of the season and as a result we went to the NIT. I think he doesn't get more respect because he is not a flashy player but he is a hard worker and contributes productive minutes when he plays. And that FG % for his career isn't too shabby, especially his high school percentage .843 %. :eek:

jthomasou78
2/11/2006, 08:36 AM
You know I always thought that Bookout would be the kind of player that would get 10 points 10 boards at any level of basketball. He is a master at getting position undeer the basket. I actually think he could play as a roll player at the NBA level.

I dont know if anyone else noticed this but in the KU game about 5 times he would set a pick and roll play for a guard. Hed roll to the basket, be alone and the guard would completely miss him.

NickZeppelin
2/11/2006, 10:22 AM
I don't think anyone ever said he would be a star. But I think most thought he would have a shot at the NBA. He won't get that. He is probably our most important senior and will be impossible to replace next year though.

Soonerus
2/11/2006, 11:34 AM
My point is he just has not lived up to his recruited "hype"...nobody plays harder, through more pain, tries harder, works harder, is a nicer person, etc...probably will go down as one of the most-loved B-Ball Sooners of all-time but he will be working at a bank or brokerage firm and has no real B-Ball future beyond his last game at OU...

MojoRisen
2/11/2006, 11:56 AM
The Hype is wrongly put on him- he was all everything- in highschool- but he has a credit card vertical, he is not your prototypical basketball player- he reminds me of a guy named Harstadt "spl" at Creighton in the early 90s- great player. He is a shot putter- playing at an extremely high level of basketball- tells me he is smart, roll plays & knows how to contribute to the highest level of his abilities - and is invaluable to the team for what he does- "DIRTY WORK"

I also remember Kenyon Martin as a freshman- completely raw out of Dallas Texas- but he had a 40 inch vertical and was extremely athletic/quick/fast.

Bookout- Slow, can't jump, - he is a different kind of player and I don't know what hype there was except he was a great all everything ath in highschool- small town,

CtheB
2/11/2006, 11:58 AM
I'll tell you this, the kid was absolutely dominant in high school, and held his own pretty well at a lot of the camps before he entered OU. That being said, I only think it's fair to say that Book has had more than his fair share of injuries while at OU that has held him back from what may have been anticipated. It's all bad luck, but I'm glad he's a Sooner, because he's one of those kids that would terrorize us from another school.

Soonerus
2/11/2006, 12:06 PM
I'll tell you this, the kid was absolutely dominant in high school, and held his own pretty well at a lot of the camps before he entered OU. That being said, I only think it's fair to say that Book has had more than his fair share of injuries while at OU that has held him back from what may have been anticipated. It's all bad luck, but I'm glad he's a Sooner, because he's one of those kids that would terrorize us from another school.

You are right he is the kind of player you would hate to play against....

NickZeppelin
2/11/2006, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't say Bookout is slow. He's got decent speed in track I believe. And he's usually pretty good at running up and down the court. He can run pretty well but he's not got the athletic ability to make the NBA.

PrideTrombone
2/11/2006, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't say Bookout is slow. He's got decent speed in track I believe.

He doesn't run after the shotput, Nick. He just throws it and stands there. He's in the "field" part of track & field.

NickZeppelin
2/11/2006, 01:13 PM
I think he runs track also or he used to.

MojoRisen
2/11/2006, 01:16 PM
He doesn't run after the shotput, Nick. He just throws it and stands there. He's in the "field" part of track & field.

That got me laughing my arse off-

usmc-sooner
2/11/2006, 01:27 PM
I think he is beast in ways that don't get appreciated. He's not a scoring machine but he makes his presence felt in the paint.

PrideTrombone
2/11/2006, 01:37 PM
I think he runs track also or he used to.

Nick, think about it. The guy weighs 275 pounds. Exactly what the hell event would he be running in?

MojoRisen
2/11/2006, 01:58 PM
See if Nick thinks he runs the high hurdles- that is unfair hype!

stoopified
2/11/2006, 04:56 PM
I think Book has played up to the best of his abilities at OU considering his injuries.

I recall him being one of 7 D-1 prospects in Oklahoma considered blue-chip his senior year. Among the others were Sheldon Williams,Lamptey,DeAngelo Alexander,Marcus Hayden,Azubuke.Williams and Azubuke were the two that got most national exposure.I do not recall anyone projecting Book as major NBA prospect,in part because of his Olympic aspirations (shot AND discus)..

A second aspect to bear in mind when evaluating his talent and progression is that he is an intangibles kind of guy.Many times he sets picks or screens that allow Gray and Everett and others to score or get rebounds.Kevin IS the epitome of a KS style player,he plays with no ego.In other words he is a winner.

wishbonesooner
2/12/2006, 06:15 AM
I think he gave up his dream of being in the Olympics. My recollection is he wanted to sit out his soph season to train, and kelvin begged him to keep playing basketball. Not many kids would put the team ahead of their own dreams.

okienole3
2/12/2006, 01:51 PM
He still has Olympic hopes, at least according to the media guide. I think he is one of the most consistent players in the Sampson era. I would say that he is underrated overall. However, he hasn't developed very much over his four years. But, no big man has developed into anything over the Sampson era.

Nick is dumb.

NickZeppelin
2/12/2006, 03:14 PM
But, no big man has developed into anything over the Sampson era.

You mean Aaron McGhee and Eduardo Najera never developed?

okienole3
2/12/2006, 06:06 PM
You mean Aaron McGhee and Eduardo Najera never developed?

McGhee got better from his junior to senior year, yes. But, I was talking about 4 year players. I was also talking about post players, which would leave Ed out of the conversation. Most post players that stayed for years in the Sampson era were only moderately better as seniors than they were as freshman. Johnny Gilbert, Renzi Stone to name two.

oumartin
2/12/2006, 06:16 PM
Nick is dumb

so a wise man once said!

King Crimson
2/12/2006, 06:27 PM
people bag on Renzi, but he played some great games against UT's Chris Mihm.

Johnnie's best year was by far the end of last year, as a senior. he made some plays for us last year down the stretch in conference.

NickZeppelin
2/12/2006, 06:36 PM
Renzi and Johnnie were never scorers. And probably never had that ability. But both got better from freshman to Sr years. Bookout has gotten better too. If you look at his numbers this year they are at about 12 points a game when he averaged 9 a game for his career coming in. And he has gotten stronger inside. Gray has gotten better over the last year also but you don't wanna count JUCOs.

Collier11
2/12/2006, 07:04 PM
Actually Nick I believe taj has not gotten better, he hasnt gotten worse but I dont see any imporovement in his game?? Also, Najera not a post, do you even watch OU basketball?? And Kevin Bookout never ever ran track, at any age. He throws shot and discus. About his expectations, I would say that coming out of highschool I figured that Bookout could be a 15-17ppg and 8-10rbg easily but he just hasnt made it. I would say the big thing is conditioning, he has never been in great shape, but most of that is due to injuries as others have said. The guy hasnt been able to lift weights ala rocky calmus his entire college career, if he were able to he would likely be alot more able to dominate as many of us thought.

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 11:01 AM
Taj has really fallen apart of late. He's trying too hard, and people are mugging him every time he gets the ball. It's hard to watch, because I know he has the physical ability to dominate at this level. I wish he could develop more of a jump shot, because he's more of a mobile post guy than a Shaq type.

I honestly don't know why we don't give Book the ball more. He's the best in the college game at getting position. He's got great hands. He knows how to protect his shots. He moves well without the ball. He shoots over .500 for a reason, and it puzzles me why we don't use him more.

Also, I'm very very happy we have Griffin. He looks like the type that will develop really quickly with playing time. He's got the same physical style and natural bball instincts that Book has, and he's got more athletic ability. If he really pays attention to what Book does, he could be insane on both ends of the court...