PDA

View Full Version : spyware: Firefox v. IE

Ike
2/10/2006, 05:01 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060210/tc_cmp/179102616

apparently, your average joe I-don't-understand-these-internets-but-I-like-looking-at web-pr0n is 21 times as likely to get hit with spyware inadvertently if he uses IE as opposed to Firefox. This only holds true for unpatched versions, and for people that don't pay attention to what their browsers are doing. Setting the security settings a little smarter bumps that number down a bit, but still firefox came out better for the internet-ignoramous as far as protecting you from spyware.

but still, even with firefox, you can get hit with spyware. however, in all those cases, firefox prompted the user before running any of the code.

NormanPride
2/10/2006, 05:12 PM
I run firefox almost exclusively, and I have yet to get any spyware. Now, I don't go running willy nilly around the vast pr0n internet stashes, either, so take that for what you will.

I don't like IE because it has ActiveX. ActiveX means security hole to me.

Ike
2/10/2006, 05:17 PM
I run firefox almost exclusively, and I have yet to get any spyware. Now, I don't go running willy nilly around the vast pr0n internet stashes, either, so take that for what you will.

I don't like IE because it has ActiveX. ActiveX means security hole to me.

bingo. activeX=teh succ