PDA

View Full Version : Fire on HW-9?

proud gonzo
2/10/2006, 12:59 PM
my boyfriend just said there's a big fire somewhere near HW-9 in Norman. I haven't been outside again recently, but that might have something to do with the flickering power... I don't know.

anybody know anything?

picasso
2/10/2006, 01:01 PM
not Pink!!!

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2006, 01:03 PM
http://newsok.com/print.php?article=1757888
Crews battle two wildfires

From Staff Reports
NORMAN -- Firefighters from three Cleveland County communities are battling a wildfire on Norman’s southeast side, with flames charring more than 300 acres.
The fire has burned power poles and caused power transformers to explode, said Norman Deputy Fire Chief James Fullingim.

The fire started near 36th Avenue SE and Cedar Lane and traveled southwest toward 24th Avenue SE. Firefighters from Norman, Noble and Slaughterville responded.

No injuries have been reported and no structures damaged, Fullingim said. But flames shot up to as high as 25 feet in dry, windy conditions as the blaze moved into cedar tree groves. Cattle and horses could be seen fleeing the approaching flames.

In Yukon, firefighters from Oklahoma City and Yukon were battling a large grassfire near Highway 66 and Richland Road at noon today.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 01:03 PM
anybody know anything?

Some coworkers left about 15 minutes ago to check it out.

proud gonzo
2/10/2006, 01:04 PM
hmm... interesting. I guess I'll see here when i leave for class

handcrafted
2/10/2006, 01:09 PM
:eek:

That is not very far from where my boss lives. He's getting a little concerned.

OUstudent4life
2/10/2006, 01:19 PM
Huh. I was in Norman to talk to a class this morning, and as I drove back up to OKC I noticed a major smoke cloud. I thought "damn, someone must of flicked a cig in the wrong place."

That's no good.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 01:38 PM
I thought "damn, someone must of flicked a cig in the wrong place."

There's a 99% chance that's what caused it. Some people are too ****ing stupid to be allowed to live. :mad:

But the smoking should take care of that so I guess everything works out in the end.

yermom
2/10/2006, 02:13 PM
i'm guessing it's out now?

that's a tad close to the old homestead

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:14 PM
i'm guessing it's out now?

Our lights haven't flickered in awhile, so that's a good sign.

But I'm still gonna neg GHP the first chance I get.

proud gonzo
2/10/2006, 03:05 PM
I didn't see a big plume of smoke or anything, but I don't know. I'm assuming it's out as well.

C&CDean
2/10/2006, 03:10 PM
I watched it burning out the window while I was on a telecon this morning. Pretty big. When the fire hits those cedars they pretty much go up like napalm. It's back in behind the Saxon place. When I left for lunch a while ago it looked to be out.

On a sidenote, property owners who allow cedars to grow should be shot. East of Norman there are sections with nothing but cedar. No grass, no trees. Only cedar. Devil trees.

picasso
2/10/2006, 03:13 PM
I watched it burning out the window while I was on a telecon this morning. Pretty big. When the fire hits those cedars they pretty much go up like napalm. It's back in behind the Saxon place. When I left for lunch a while ago it looked to be out.

On a sidenote, property owners who allow cedars to grow should be shot. East of Norman there are sections with nothing but cedar. No grass, no trees. Only cedar. Devil trees.
so true, they were xploding last week near my gf's folks house. also, thos ethings can infest your land in no time. checkout the turnpike between Tulsa and Stillwater sometime.