PDA

View Full Version : Would you re-marry if something happened to your spouse?

handcrafted
2/10/2006, 12:51 PM
Not trying to be overly morbid, but I am in the process of getting life insurance, and that and Homey's post made me think.

I would not re-marry. Any other woman would be a step down from my wife. It wouldn't be fair because I'd always be thinking of her. I know myself, and if that were the situation, I'd choose to let it be just me and my son.

critical_phil
2/10/2006, 12:53 PM
not only no, but hell no.

not only hell no, but hell ****ing no.

Widescreen
2/10/2006, 12:53 PM
If she was hawt, yes.

Actually it would be difficult. I'd have to consider the impact that would have on my kids first. If it happened after the kids had moved out, why not? She might be a step down from what I have now, but it would be better than being alone into my twilight years.

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2006, 12:54 PM
This is a tough thing to even think about . . .

Nab'R
2/10/2006, 12:55 PM
I would not actively pursue marriage. I can't imagine not being married to my wife.

Sooner in Tampa
2/10/2006, 12:57 PM
No way.

1stTimeCaller
2/10/2006, 12:57 PM
After my dad kicked the bucket my mom remarried. She waited until I was in college to get remarried though.

salth2o
2/10/2006, 01:08 PM
I doubt I would get remarried.

Just a word of warning about life insurance...DO NOT over insure yourself. It may be hazardous to your health to be worth more dead than alive!

Stanley1
2/10/2006, 01:11 PM
Nah, I'd just bone lots of hotties.

yermom
2/10/2006, 01:18 PM
i don't see a problem with it, it's not very romantic, but the vows do say "til death do us part"

just don't pull the Costanza and call Marissa Tomei the next day ;)

seriously though, life goes on, especially if you are young. i'm sure it would take a lot of time to get over though

do you really think that your spouse would want you to be lonely the rest of your life?

Skysooner
2/10/2006, 01:20 PM
It would depend on my age. If something were to happen to her in the next couple of years, I would remarry eventually. I can't imagine spending the rest of my life alone. I doubt anybody would compare to her as we have known each other so many years (and know each other so well). If it were to happen maybe 15 or 20 years from now, I would be less likely to remarry at that time.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 01:23 PM
I don't think we only have one soulmate in this world--what are the odds that almost everybody's "one and only" went to high school or college with them?

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 01:24 PM
probably - I would imagine it would be for money and not for love the second time around. If I was lucky enough to find both - that would be sweet.

yermom
2/10/2006, 01:39 PM
wow.

Pieces Hit
2/10/2006, 01:42 PM
I would lay down beside her grave and die and then they'd bury me next to her and between us a red fern would grow.

crawfish
2/10/2006, 01:43 PM
Who knows?

I have no idea how I'd feel about things two, three or more years afterwards. I imagine after a while the pain would diminish and lonliness increase. I have no desire to ever find out, though.

Stanley1
2/10/2006, 01:45 PM
Who knows?

I have no idea how I'd feel about things two, three or more years afterwards. I imagine after a while the pain would diminish and lonliness increase. I have no desire to ever find out, though.

Don't worry, pretty sure no other woman would ever want to share a bed with you.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 01:48 PM
wow.
just curious - was that "wow" directed at me?

yermom
2/10/2006, 02:00 PM
just curious - was that "wow" directed at me?

yeah :D

married for money? really?

i can't imagine someone admitting to that

Hot Rod
2/10/2006, 02:02 PM
This is a tough thing to even think about . . .

No kidding. Something that honestly you don't want to think about. You just have to live life and make the most of every moment with your wife. That being said, let's all do something our wives would never expect from us this Valentine's day!

crawfish
2/10/2006, 02:04 PM
Don't worry, pretty sure no other woman would ever want to share a bed with you.

Well, everything else pales after our night together, anyway.

Taxman71
2/10/2006, 02:05 PM
not only no, but hell no.

not only hell no, but hell ****ing no.

Word.

skycat
2/10/2006, 02:05 PM
This thread sucks.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 03:08 PM
yeah :D

married for money? really?

i can't imagine someone admitting to that
Well, I think I'm just being realistic. I did say if I could find both love and money in the same person, that would be sweet. I would have to have some kind of feelings though - maybe just not love. If I couldn't stand someone, I wouldn't marry them for their money. I'm talking being financially comfortable. The older I get, the more I understand how important financial stability is. Love is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't pay the bills.

Mjcpr
2/10/2006, 03:09 PM
Well, I think I'm just being realistic. I did say if I could find both love and money in the same person, that would be sweet. I would have to have some kind of feelings though - maybe just not love. If I couldn't stand someone, I wouldn't marry them for their money. I'm talking being financially comfortable. The older I get, the more I understand how important financial stability is. Love is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't pay the bills.

I hope you have giant hooblers.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 03:09 PM
Love is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't pay the bills.

It can in Nevada.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 03:12 PM
It can in Nevada.
What happens in Las Vegas - stays in Las Vegas!!:eek:

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 03:13 PM
I hope you have giant hooblers.
no comment;)

RacerX
2/10/2006, 03:19 PM
So now that we know what you are we just need to haggle over the price.

My answer to the question - NO.

TexasLidig8r
2/10/2006, 03:19 PM
Why do people automatically associate "marriage" with "commitment?" After all, at the end of the day, isn't it simply a legal contract through which two people declare to society they have made a civil contract?

If you love someone deeply, why must you formalize it? Especially if no young kids are involved?

Do we really need a justice of peace or minister (especially a gay, undercover cop seducing minister) to "bless" a love which by its very definition is intangible?

handcrafted
2/10/2006, 03:29 PM
Why do people automatically associate "marriage" with "commitment?" After all, at the end of the day, isn't it simply a legal contract through which two people declare to society they have made a civil contract?

If you love someone deeply, why must you formalize it? Especially if no young kids are involved?

Do we really need a justice of peace or minister (especially a gay, undercover cop seducing minister) to "bless" a love which by its very definition is intangible?

:rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2006, 03:30 PM
I would be devastated if that were to happen, probably for years. But I have seen how sad and heartbreaking it is for someone to die old and utterly alone. After a few years I would probably learn to keep my options open.

The perfect ending would be like at the end of The Notebook, both of you dying in each other's arms peacefully in bed. Preferably without all the dementia though.

handcrafted
2/10/2006, 03:30 PM

:eek:

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2006, 03:31 PM

do not go on . . .

royalfan5
2/10/2006, 03:36 PM
My mom remarried 9 years or so after my Dad died. It didn't work out the best for me personally, but that doesn't mean some people can't pull it off.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/10/2006, 03:56 PM

Sounds good in theory - but what about financial obligations? When the split up comes - who gets / pays for - the house? Who gets stuck with the credit card pay offs?

BudSooner
2/10/2006, 04:00 PM
I hope you have giant gobblers.

:mack:

Hamhock
2/10/2006, 04:15 PM
I would not re-marry. Any other woman would be a step down from my wife. It wouldn't be fair because I'd always be thinking of her. I know myself, and if that were the situation, I'd choose to let it be just me and my son.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Something that honestly you don't want to think about. You just have to live life and make the most of every moment with your wife. That being said, let's all do something our wives would never expect from us this Valentine's day!

I didn't realize so many of you let your wives read the board.

crawfish
2/10/2006, 11:00 PM
do not go on . . .

Why do you hate scrabble? ;)

yermom
2/10/2006, 11:05 PM

if only the GF would get this ;)

walkoffsooner
2/10/2006, 11:11 PM
Yea her name is pam and lives down the street from me.

oumartin
2/10/2006, 11:14 PM
after I off this one there is no way I'll remarry.. They just get old and saggy on you ;)

yermom
2/10/2006, 11:14 PM
yikes.

yermom
2/10/2006, 11:15 PM
double yikes.

the first was for Walkoff, i'm too slow apparently

KC//CRIMSON
2/10/2006, 11:44 PM
Absolutely. Most women I have known said they would encourage it. Why would you want your spouse to be single and lonely the rest of their lives anyway? Kinda dumb, if you ask me.

My grandfather was married to my grandmother for forty plus years. After she passed away he swore up and down he would never love/meet/marry anyone ever. Eighteen months later he was married and has been now for ten years.