PDA

View Full Version : Get your Mohammed the Bomber Tshirt

85Sooner
2/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Here!

http://www.shopmetrospy.com/

Better yet buy a bunch and send em to the mosques in Iran and Syria.

yermom
2/10/2006, 11:47 AM
seems like their server was already bombed

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2006, 11:49 AM
heh

yermom
2/10/2006, 12:04 PM
seriously though, i can imagine how funny that shirt might be, but it might be a tad irresponsible to sell those :eek:

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 12:31 PM
seriously though, i can imagine how funny that shirt might be, but it might be a tad irresponsible to sell those :eek:

Agreed. Why pour gas on the fire?

Widescreen
2/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Free Speech!

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 12:56 PM
Free speech...maybe. Although there is plenty of precedent for curbing incendiary speech.

Look anyone who reads these posts will tell you that I'm no fan of islam. I believe it's a sham. I believe there is no Allah. I believe muslims are way too touchy about "the prophet." I liken the whole shmoo to the Baalists of the Old Testament, cutting and thrashing themselves and others to try to communicate with their "god."

However, some things are just not in good taste. I don't have a problem with the original cartoon in the Danish newspaper. The political cartoonists make their living using very dry humor to get their points across.

A T-shirt of the thing, though, is nothing more than an appeal to the worst elements among us. It's not necessary to rattle the cage any further than it has already been rattled. People are dying because of this. Pouring salt in the wound is extremely poor form.

yermom
2/10/2006, 12:58 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of anyone wearing said shirt is begging for their head to be separated from their body with a dull knife on video, especially outside of the US

Widescreen
2/10/2006, 12:59 PM
I agree it would be tasteless and I would never buy or wear one. But I refuse to be like the Euros and abridge my 1st Amendment freedoms because bad people want to burn our embassy to the ground.

Nab'R
2/10/2006, 01:02 PM
At a concert, I saw a guy wearing a "Partnership for a God Free America" shirt. It was about as offensive to me as possible. It never crossed my mind to burn his house though. I guess I'm just not as committed.

It'd be just as bad for someone to wear the bomber shirt as it was for him to wear the partnership shirt. He or you can wear it, you have the right, but it isn't really a nice thing to do.

yermom
2/10/2006, 01:05 PM
i could give a **** about tasteless, or rights. i'm not saying they shouldn't be legal to sell or anything

i wouldn't do it because i'd be afraid that the people that are buying them could likely be putting themselves in harm's way

but as long as people are willing to buy something, something is probably going to be sold

Desert Sapper
2/10/2006, 01:05 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of anyone wearing said shirt is begging for their head to be separated from their body with a dull knife on video, especially outside of the US

Which would, in effect, qualify them for the Darwin award.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 01:07 PM
I hear what you're saying, Widescreen, believe me. But, this is wholly unlike the what the Euros are doing. We expect that the Euros are nothing but weenies, doing their best daily to screw up the world, then beg us to fix it, then blame us if we don't fix it the way they'd like it. Screw the Euros, for sure.

But, curbing incendiary speech is not tantamount to curbing free speech. There is a body of well settled law in this area. Now, you and I may disagree about what incendiary speech is.

Personally, I think the T-shirt could be banned from being worn in public schools and such under the incediary speech theory. That doesn't mean it couldn't be worn anywhere else.

All I'm saying is that the maker of this T-shirt made it for no other reason but to profit from the worst elements of society. You can easily denounce islam without having to buy a T-shirt. In and of itself, islam is a joke enough without T-shirts.

Having said all of this, I freely disclose that after 9/11, I went to the Army-Navy store in Tulsa and bought one of those Bin-Laden in the crosshairs T-shirts. :D

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 01:08 PM
but as long as people are willing to buy something, something is probably going to be sold

Ah, yes...I love supply-side capitalism! :D

FaninAma
2/10/2006, 02:49 PM
Look anyone who reads these posts will tell you that I'm no fan of islam. I believe it's a sham. I believe there is no Allah. I believe muslims are way too touchy about "the prophet." I liken the whole shmoo to the Baalists of the Old Testament, cutting and thrashing themselves and others to try to communicate with their "god."

As a practicing Baalist I am offended by your statements and I declare Baalist jihad on your ***!:mad:

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:51 PM
However, some things are just not in good taste. I don't have a problem with the original cartoon in the Danish newspaper. The political cartoonists make their living using very dry humor to get their points across.

The humor in the Danish cartoons was about as sophisticated as an espisode of Jackass. NTTAWWT.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 02:52 PM
As a practicing Baalist I am offended by your statements and I declare Baalist jihad on your ***!:mad:

Meet Elijah at Mt. Carmel.

85Sooner
2/10/2006, 02:53 PM
Freaky part is it is rather acurate from their behavior.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 02:55 PM
The humor in the Danish cartoons was about as sophisticated as an espisode of Jackass. NTTAWWT.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. I don't think most people look at political cartoons and expect class or sophistication. They expect some sort of cheap "gotcha" type of message.

My deal is, I think the T-shirt is playing to the worst level of opportunistic profiteering.

FaninAma
2/10/2006, 02:58 PM
Meet Elijah at Mt. Carmel.

Where is Mt. Carmel? Is that anywhere near Hershey, Pennsylvania?

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 03:00 PM
Where is Mt. Carmel.

I think it's a suburb of New Orleans.

Widescreen
2/10/2006, 03:01 PM
No, he's talking about David Koresh.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.netours.com/2003/carmel_files/10122002080621.jpg

http://www.netours.com/2003/carmel_files/13112002051435.jpg

FaninAma
2/10/2006, 03:42 PM
http://www.netours.com/2003/carmel_files/10122002080621.jpg

http://www.netours.com/2003/carmel_files/13112002051435.jpg

Oh, that Mt. Carmel! BTW, was David Koresh a Baalist, too?

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 03:45 PM
Oh, that Mt. Carmel! BTW, was David Koresh a Baalist, too?

I don't know. Did he cut and thrash himself to a bloody pulp in the name of a false god?

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2006, 04:06 PM
Mt. Carmel looks more like Carmel Hill

FaninAma
2/10/2006, 04:42 PM
I don't know. Did he cut and thrash himself to a bloody pulp in the name of a false god?

Is that what Baalists do? I thought they were just really avid basketball fans. I guess I'm calling the jihad off.

Sorry, I got nuthin'.

I thought Koresh was a Mormon.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2006, 04:56 PM
There was a Mt. Carmel here but Janet blew it up. Koresh wasn't Mormon he was "other." His followers have rebuilt the place somewhat and erected a new church with a museum. So Mt. Carmel is on the rise again!