PDA

View Full Version : School Bus Driver

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 10:51 AM
My niece is a sophomore in HS. A few weeks ago, her bus driver decided they would have assigned seats, with HS kids in the back and junior high kids in the front. But her daughter got a seat right behind her, by herself, even though she is in high school.

The bus driver has also been yelling at the kids and stuff. The other day, my niece started to sit in the front of the bus and the driver said she had to go to the back to her assigned seat. My niece politely said "no, this seat is empty. I will sit here. If it is a problem, here is my mom's number." The bus driver said "No I am going to call your principal." That didn't phase her because a bunch of the kids had already told him and he thought it was ridiculous.

So anyway, my brother said she should have said "who do you think I am, Rosa Parks?"

Is this a normal thing: bus drivers assigning seats?

frankensooner
2/10/2006, 11:16 AM
Yes.

Mjcpr
2/10/2006, 11:18 AM
If the hellions are out of control, I think they do this. If they have assigned seats, I'm thinking she needs to sit in hers or face the consequences.

Sorry, SBSB.

critical_phil
2/10/2006, 11:19 AM
if it p!sses the kids off, it's probably the right thing to do.

at least that's how i approach parenting...................

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 11:26 AM
The assigned seats would have been ok had the driver not:

Put high school kids 3 to a seat and some of them in the aisle so they would all fit in the HS rows

Allowed empty seats in the front of the bus including the one next to her own kid.

Doesn't matter to us anymore anyway. My mom is now taking her to school and picking her up, because it works with her schedule better. Plus, she had major back surgery last week and hitting potholes in a bus was making her way too uncomfortable. My mom lives right across from the school, so it makes more sense this way.

Howzit
2/10/2006, 11:28 AM
She shouldn't have been on the bus in the first place.

sooner_born_1960
2/10/2006, 11:29 AM
When I was in high school, I wouldn't be caught dead on the school bus.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 11:31 AM
When I was in high school, I wouldn't be caught dead on the school bus.Well she didn't have a lot of choice before my mom offered the rides. The surgery set her license getting back a ways.

Howzit
2/10/2006, 11:32 AM
Stanley's such an insensitive bastard.

Czar Soonerov
2/10/2006, 11:33 AM
Is your niece's name Rosa Parks?

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2006, 11:35 AM
Put high school kids 3 to a seat and some of them in the aisle so they would all fit in the HS rows

Just to clarify, some of the kids assigned seats were in the aisle? I can't see a bus driver doing this. Assigning seats, yeah. Making kids sit in the aisle, no. Maybe I misunderstood.

crawfish
2/10/2006, 11:36 AM
It's a good idea to teach your kids to respect authority. They can question it, but they MUST respect it.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 11:36 AM
Mixing high school kids and junior high kids together on a bus doesn't seem like a good idea.

BeetDigger
2/10/2006, 11:39 AM
I think that they should give bus drivers weapons, just to keep them hellions in their place.

yermom
2/10/2006, 11:45 AM
Mixing high school kids and junior high kids together on a bus doesn't seem like a good idea.

they did this in Owasso, but it's not all that big (JH was 8-9, HS was 10-12)

most kids in HS drove though, so there weren't too many on the bus, mostly Sophomores

and for the record, riding the bus succs

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 11:52 AM
and for the record, riding the bus succs

Well, not everybody gets a car for their 16th birthday.

yermom
2/10/2006, 12:00 PM
i basically did, it succed too :D

i think i rode the bus more than i drove it :(

Mjcpr
2/10/2006, 12:04 PM
It's a good idea to teach your kids to respect authority. They can question it, but they MUST respect it.

Word. Nobody wants to see authority having to earn it on a basketball court.

NormanPride
2/10/2006, 12:19 PM
Well, not everybody gets a car for their 16th birthday.

Yeah, I got mine for my 14th. Psh.

Those 16 year olds must be po'.

VeeJay
2/10/2006, 12:34 PM
Why do you hate organization in the school system?

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2006, 12:46 PM
So did anyone else have a high schooler drive the bus when you rode it in grade school?

I remember when I was in the 1st grade that our school bus driver was a Senior in high school.

He installed an 8-track and speakers so we could rock to KC and the Sunshine Band everyday. :D

He was notorious for flippin' other drivers off upon request too.

yermom
2/10/2006, 02:01 PM
that sounds about like the worst idea ever

pb4ou
2/10/2006, 02:07 PM
When I was in Jr High we were little hellions on the bus. Especially when we would come to train tracks. We would pretend that a train was coming and make the crashing sound hitting the bus. A year later my family moved to another town and the bus driver made the kids be silent at the rail road tracks. Well, I couldn't resist. I made the noise. I got a few smiles and covered laughs, but I got in trouble with the new school principal. Was it worth it? Hel* Yes!!!!

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2006, 02:12 PM
that sounds about like the worst idea ever

We're talkin' about Morrison, Oklahoma here . . . in 1978. :D

yermom
2/10/2006, 02:16 PM
maybe i'm getting old, but Seniors in HS are still barely capable of driving themselves ;)

IB4OU2
2/10/2006, 02:19 PM
We're talkin' about Morrison, Oklahoma here . . . in 1978. :D

Back then that guy was one half of the Morrison Senior class..........;)

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:21 PM
maybe i'm getting old, but Seniors in HS are still barely capable of driving themselves ;)

That's a fact. And I even thought that when I was a senior HS. Lower the drinking age, raise the driving age.

yermom
2/10/2006, 02:24 PM
i wouldn't go that far, but i wouldn't want them driving an SUV full of their friends, much less a busload of 1st graders

1stTimeCaller
2/10/2006, 02:50 PM
you guys have no comprehension of the differences between Morrison, OK in 1978 and Norman, OK in 2006 do you?

Mrs. Norm
2/10/2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry, SBSB, but being a school teacher, I have to agree with the bus driver. There probably was a really good reason for assigned seating. School bus drivers should be respected by students AND parents just as school teachers are. Students have assigned seats in classrooms, and I guarantee kids don't tell their teachers, "I don't have to sit there. I should be able to sit where I want". Kids need to realize that life isn't fair and we have to follow rules and procedures for the rest of our lives.

GottaHavePride
2/10/2006, 06:39 PM
The reason I heard for assigning seats on the bus (from a driver who was an ex-cop) was so that if there was a crash, they could figure out who you used to be by where your remains landed. (No seatbelts on our buses. ;) )

But even so, his method was to let us pick where we wanted to sit, so long as we sat there every day. He only moved people if they caused trouble. The same method works pretty well in the classroom. Let them sit where they want the first day, then assign the seats if you need to ("so the teacher can learn the kids' names" is the most-frequent reason I've heard) and move the troublemakers if problems arise.

Assigning seats just for the sake of assigning seats is silly.

RacerX
2/10/2006, 07:35 PM
Which high school?

jrsooner
2/10/2006, 07:55 PM
Is this a normal thing: bus drivers assigning seats?My darling wife who used to be a school bus driver for KISD until she lost sight in her right eye this year....says....

YES

Why?
1. Because it expedites the loading and unloading of the bus.
2. If the bus becomes damaged (ie. seats, windows) due to graffitti the driver knows who did it.
3. If they have a problem on the bus with a student, you can solve the problem by re-arranging the seating (ie. get problem students away from each other).
4. In an accident/emergency situation, it's easier to check the bus because you know who is supposed to be where.
5. It helps the bus driver learn every kid's name on the bus.

She states that this is a requirement for all KISD bus drivers, and they evaluated also on whether they have assigned seats and know each kids name.

She also states that the difference of assigned seats to unassigned seats is a MAJOR difference in the attitude and atmosphere of the bus.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2006, 08:10 PM
I'm all about bringing order to chaos. I just hate free for all chaotic situations, and I applaud anyone who brings down the iron fist of justice and order upon unruly hellion demon children.

'Spek to the bus driver for laying down the LAW.

Note: I don't know if this is normal or not to assign seats. I only rode a bus to school twice my entire life. They always smelled a bit too funky for me.

SoonerInKCMO
2/10/2006, 08:58 PM
you guys have no comprehension of the differences between Morrison, OK in 1978 and Norman, OK in 2006 do you?

Hell, I have no comprehension of where Morrison even is. :eddie:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 09:06 PM
It's Westmoore. The biggest complaint I think was the way she handled it. All yelling and stuff, then giving her own kid special treatment

AllAboutThe'O'
2/12/2006, 02:50 AM
Hell, I have no comprehension of where Morrison even is. :eddie:
Look for the big signs leading to the football stadium signifying all the state football championships they've won, and you're there.