PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Old Kenwood CAR CD Changer

Norm In Norman
2/9/2006, 11:10 PM
I've got a kenwood kdc 4007 that I bought in about 1996 or so and I'm wanting to hook my ipod to it. It seems that they changed their cord configuration soon after 1996 and none of the modern kenwood stuff will work on it. So after looking out on the internet it seems that my only choice is to hack an old CD changer and put audio inputs on it that way. So if you've got one that you're missing the cartidge for or something and you want to sell it for REALLY cheap, let me know. Free would be good too. I like free.

Oh, and if you know how to hack a kenwood CD changer so it has an audio input, i'd appreciate the help too.

TIA?

sooneron
2/10/2006, 09:49 AM
I've got a kenwood kdc 4007 that I bought in about 1996 or so and I'm wanting to hook my ipod to it. It seems that they changed their cord configuration soon after 1996 and none of the modern kenwood stuff will work on it. So after looking out on the internet it seems that my only choice is to hack an old CD changer and put audio inputs on it that way. So if you've got one that you're missing the cartidge for or something and you want to sell it for REALLY cheap, let me know. Free would be good too. I like free.

Oh, and if you know how to hack a kenwood CD changer so it has an audio input, i'd appreciate the help too.

TIA?
I'm lost. Why do you want an audio INPUT on a CD PLAYER?

Norm In Norman
2/10/2006, 10:26 AM
I'm lost. Why do you want an audio INPUT on a CD PLAYER?
Because I want to hook my ipod to it. I'm talking in my truck here (which i could see how that would confuse things - I left that part out of the subject).

If I had a newer model kenwood receiver, I could buy a $20 cable that plugs into the CD changer plug on the back of the receiver and then hook the other end of the cable into the ipod. But since I have an older model kenwood, the only way for me to hook my ipod into it is to take apart an old CD Changer and rig an audio cable to it. I figure SOMEONE has an old junk one that they want to get rid of.

I'd really hate to get rid of my kenwood. It's been a good receiver.

1stTimeCaller
2/10/2006, 10:34 AM
I'll give you $2 and 11 like-new condition colored pencils.

Norm In Norman
2/10/2006, 01:33 PM
DEAL!

Now I've got $2 and some colored pencils to trade for the cd changer.

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2006, 01:59 PM
How old are you talkin' about here?

I had a couple of older Kenwood CD Changers but I think they both got sold in garage sales. One that had the square/rectangle plug and the other that has the round plug.

I think the only thing I kept was the converter that goes from square to round, but I'll look just in case.

1stTimeCaller
2/10/2006, 02:19 PM
DEAL!

Now I've got $2 and some colored pencils to trade for the cd changer.

but I get the Ipod right?

OUAndy1807
2/10/2006, 03:49 PM
couldn't you just use an FM Modulator? I'll bet there are some cheap ones on the world wide web.

Norm In Norman
2/13/2006, 09:42 AM
How old are you talkin' about here?

I had a couple of older Kenwood CD Changers but I think they both got sold in garage sales. One that had the square/rectangle plug and the other that has the round plug.

I think the only thing I kept was the converter that goes from square to round, but I'll look just in case.
I think mine has a round plug.

Norm In Norman
2/13/2006, 09:43 AM
couldn't you just use an FM Modulator? I'll bet there are some cheap ones on the world wide web.
Well, yeah, but all of the modulators I've tried sound like crap. Sure, it'd get me by but I woudln't be happy with it.

RacerX
2/13/2006, 01:52 PM
Damn, Norm caved and got the pod.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2006, 03:50 PM
I think mine has a round plug.

Then if you get an older changer you'll probably need a conversion plug similar to the one I have.

I forgot to look for it over the weekend . . . sorry.

I'll got out to my shop and look when I get home today.

Sooner_Bob
2/13/2006, 06:18 PM
Ok, here's what I have . . .

It's a CA-SD200 Square to DIN adaptor . . . just in case you need it. If not no biggie.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2000/113/l113CADS200dg.jpeg