PDA

View Full Version : So this is what happens when you marry a washed up B movie actress?

lexsooner
2/9/2006, 08:04 PM
The Great One has to cover for her massive gambling habit, potentially ruining his good name as the greatest ever in hockey. I always wondered about that marriage. He seems like a decent enough guy, but she seemed a tad seedy, a product of the Hollywood lifestyle. It turns out she has gambled half a million in recent weeks, including $75K on the Super Bowl, and $5K alone on who won the coin toss, all illegally, as part of a betting ring tied to the New Jersey Mafia. I really hope Gretzky is not involved and she was not placing bets for him. Janet Jones is probably just rich, bored, not very bright, washed up as an actress, and was looking for some excitement, and Gretzky, who made the mistake of marrying her, was trying to cover up for her. At least I hope that is what the story is. This is what happens when a guy is guided by his little head rather than his big head and heart.

RacerX
2/9/2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah, he's such a victim.

lexsooner
2/9/2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah, he's such a victim.

Not at all. He is experiencing the consequences of poor personal decisions.

RacerX
2/9/2006, 08:23 PM
I, like many, am interested in what comes to light from all this.

lexsooner
2/9/2006, 08:38 PM
I, like many, am interested in what comes to light from all this.

Hopefully, the only thing which will come to light is Gretzky is married to a rich, bored, not very bright, washed up B movie actress who has blown lots of his money on sports gambling. I think it is likely this is the case since she is the one who is probably used to excitement in Hollywood, but now sits in the stands while hubby plays or coaches.

Okla-homey
2/9/2006, 09:16 PM
Mama always said "Son, you lay down with dogs and you're gonna get fleas."

I'll tell you another thing, if anything ever happened to Mrs Homey, and I was as rich as that Canadian ex-hockey playing bastage, I would never marry again evar!

What's the flippin' point? I mean, all the really sweet chicks who aren't dane bramaged are off the market permanently by 30 at the absolute latest. Barring the occasional widow, that leaves nothing but chicks with "issues" some other guy got tired of dealing with...often multiple guys...and chicks who play for the other side. Its a "no-win" scenario there Mr. "Great One" to legally join your life and estate with any 30+ y/o woman. Heck, even if all you got is a single-wide, a pick-up and live in Oolagah, its a bad idea. Dumass.

just saying.

SoonerInKCMO
2/9/2006, 09:18 PM
What's the flippin' point? I mean, all the really sweet chicks who aren't dame bramaged are off the market permanently by 30 at the absolute latest.

Way to bring an over-30, single brother down, man. :(

Okla-homey
2/9/2006, 09:26 PM

Tough love bro. Tough love. Like I said, there are some good-as-gold 30+ widows out there, and some who were just flat-out "abandoned by goofball idiots who decided they had some kind of mid-life need to trade-in for a newer model," but go slow. The odds are against you. Pre-nups are indicated too at your age...unless you still live with your Mom and don't have anything.

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2006, 09:34 PM
sbsb is SO gonna kick your ***..

SoonerInKCMO
2/9/2006, 09:37 PM
Tough love bro. Tough love. Like I said, there are some good-as-gold 30+ widows out there, and some who were just flat-out "abandoned by goofball idiots who decided they had some kind of mid-life need to trade-in for a newer model," but go slow. The odds are against you. Pre-nups are indicated too at your age...unless you still live with your Mom and don't have anything.

Tough love my ***! You're just a mean old bastard! :D

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 10:40 PM
I don't see why everyone is getting their shorts in a bunch about al of this? She is doing what tens of thousands of people did leading up to last Sunday. Some do it legally and some don't. She just got caught.

And I'm not even touching jaux's "post".

soonerbrat
2/9/2006, 10:52 PM

I'll tell you another thing, if anything ever happened to Mrs Homey, and I was as rich as that Canadian ex-hockey playing bastage, I would never marry again evar!

What's the flippin' point? I mean, all the really sweet chicks who aren't dame bramaged are off the market permanently by 30 at the absolute latest. Barring the occasional widow, that leaves nothing but chicks with "issues" some other guy got tired of dealing with...often multiple guys...and chicks who play for the other side. Its a "no-win" scenario there Mr. "Great One" to legally join your life and estate with any 30+ y/o woman. Heck, even if all you got is a single-wide, a pick-up and live in Oolagah, its a bad idea. Dumass.

just saying.

gee thanks :mad:

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2006, 11:02 PM
I don't see why everyone is getting their shorts in a bunch about al of this? She is doing what tens of thousands of people did leading up to last Sunday. Some do it legally and some don't. She just got caught.

jaux does bring up a good point:D

SoonerInKCMO
2/9/2006, 11:09 PM

Brat's mad that Homey called her on her dane bramage. ;)

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 11:24 PM
jaux does bring up a good point:D

That's cold man, real cold. :D

Okla-homey
2/10/2006, 06:31 AM

present company excepted of course.

RacerX
2/10/2006, 07:26 AM
present company excepted of course.

Wuss.:)

Sooner in Tampa
2/10/2006, 07:36 AM
Hopefully, the only thing which will come to light is Gretzky is married to a rich, bored, not very bright, washed up B movie actress who has blown lots of his money on sports gambling.
I don't know why you are railing against the chick...it's not like if she ever gave you the time of day, that you wouldn't hit it.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/allposters/mmph/248204_rt.jpg

AlbqSooner
2/10/2006, 07:57 AM
Does no one think it signifcant that the Great One's assistant coach is seen by law enforcement as the next tier up from his wife in the gambling dealio? It makes me wonder if his assistant didn't kinda recruit her into the scheme. Something more exciting than Mah Jong with the girls for an afternoon.

As for Homey's comments regarding over 30 single women, I refuse to comment, other than to say that the two I married were exactly as he suggested. They now each have a nice retirement program and I am working my kiester off trying to put one together for Moi. Lawyers who suggest ante nups seldom take their own advice it seems.

Soonrboy
2/10/2006, 08:47 AM
I haven't been following along, but how innocent is the Great One?

sooneron
2/10/2006, 11:34 AM

What's the flippin' point? I mean, all the really sweet chicks who aren't dane bramaged are off the market permanently by 30 at the absolute latest. Barring the occasional widow, that leaves nothing but chicks with "issues" some other guy got tired of dealing with...often multiple guys...and chicks who play for the other side. Its a "no-win" scenario there Mr. "Great One" to legally join your life and estate with any 30+ y/o woman. Heck, even if all you got is a single-wide, a pick-up and live in Oolagah, its a bad idea. Dumass.

just saying.

I'll be sure to send this along to my 36 year old wife that I married last summer. What a ****ing asshat of a post!
Btw- she was 20 when they met and 27 when they married.

picasso
2/10/2006, 11:38 AM
Lex, you're nuts. Janet Jones was the ****. Regardless of what movie she was ever in.
You make it sound like ole Wayne can walk on water.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 12:10 PM

Her husband is part-owner and coach of a sports franchise that can be bet upon. That's what separates her from other people who gamble.

Think of this. You're in the hole to some bookie for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Although you claim you've "never bet on hockey", it's hockey season and you're in with the co-owner/coach of a hockey team. It could get pretty tempting to begin to bet on that team's hockey games with the co-owner/coach doing his best to affect the outcome.

The whole thing stinks. To me, it's insulting for Gretzky to claim he didn't know about the whole thing. Give me a break. Hundreds of thousands of dollars (that we know of so far) of the family money is being gambled away by his wife and friend and he's unaware? Hardly. The phonetaps they have already show him to be a liar.

What I can't understand is why. Why do these people like Pete Rose, Rick Tocchet, Gretzy/wife even bother with gambling? What...they don't already have enough money?

The real question is will the NHL have the guts to do what Major League Baseball has done to Pete Rose - ban him for life from the game that made him one of it's best ever legends.

sooneron
2/10/2006, 12:16 PM
Her husband is part-owner and coach of a sports franchise that can be bet upon. That's what separates her from other people who gamble.

Think of this. You're in the hole to some bookie for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Although you claim you've "never bet on hockey", it's hockey season and you're in with the co-owner/coach of a hockey team. It could get pretty tempting to begin to bet on that team's hockey games with the co-owner/coach doing his best to affect the outcome.

The whole thing stinks. To me, it's insulting for Gretzky to claim he didn't know about the whole thing. Give me a break. Hundreds of thousands of dollars (that we know of so far) of the family money is being gambled away by his wife and friend and he's unaware? Hardly. The phonetaps they have already show him to be a liar.

What I can't understand is why. Why do these people like Pete Rose, Rick Tocchet, Gretzy/wife even bother with gambling? What...they don't already have enough money?

The real question is will the NHL have the guts to do what Major League Baseball has done to Pete Rose - ban him for life from the game that made him one of it's best ever legends.
There's guts, then there's proof of collusion (sp?). That could merit a baneing.

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 12:27 PM
Posted on Fri, Feb. 10, 2006

Gretzky should resign if wiretap proven

BY SCOTT BORDOW
East Valley (Mesa, Ariz.) Tribune

MESA, Ariz. - Let's assume Wayne Gretzky is telling the truth.

Let's assume he never bet illegally on a sporting event.

Let's assume he wasn't making bets through his wife, actress Janet Jones.

He'll be innocent of any criminal wrongdoing and a peripheral player in the gambling scandal that has engulfed the Coyotes and the NHL.

But that doesn't mean he should keep his job.

One allegation kept playing over and over in my head Thursday: According to The Associated Press, a New Jersey state wiretap recorded Gretzky discussing with Rick Tocchet how his wife could avoid being implicated. The Star-Ledger in Newark said Gretzky was wiretapped before the gambling ring was dismantled Monday.

Those facts, if true, beg a question: Why would Gretzky talk to Tocchet unless he knew Tocchet was intimately involved in the gambling ring that took his wife's bets?

And if that's the case, Gretzky kept as his associate coach a man he knew was engaged in criminal activity.

There's really no other conclusion that can be drawn. Gretzky can't feign ignorance about the illegality of the gambling; why else would he have worried about Janet being implicated?

Could Gretzky have been talking to Tocchet only because he's a friend? Possibly. But it stretches credibility to think he just happened to pick the guy who's alleged to have financed the gambling ring.

You can understand why Gretzky: A) didn't turn Tocchet into authorities or B) fire him. Tocchet is his friend, and Gretzky is a loyal man. He visited former Los Angeles Kings owner Bruce McNall in jail after McNall was sentenced for his admitted role in a scheme to swindle banks, a securities firm and the NHL team of more than $236 million.

But Gretzky's loyalty first and foremost should have been to the Coyotes. He had to know Tocchet's alleged activities eventually might damage the organization. Yet he put his friend above the team.

The same can be said for Coyotes general manager Mike Barnett. Several Coyotes sources said Thursday that Barnett made a one-time bet on the Super Bowl with Tocchet.

Putting moral arguments aside - and the reality that betting among professional athletes is widespread - Barnett has to know better. He represents the Coyotes in everything he does, and making a wager with an alleged bookie put the organization at risk.

Did Barnett, by the way, ever think it was a bit odd that one of his assistant coaches was taking bets on the Super Bowl? Or did he not care?

It was an astonishing few hours Thursday as one allegation after another piled on the Coyotes. Apparently, the organization has replaced Las Vegas as the gambling capital of the world.

"The (last) three days have been horrible," Gretzky said after the Coyotes' 5-1 loss to the Dallas Stars.

Gretzky declined to answer questions - "I'm too tired mentally or physically to talk any more about it" - after his statement Thursday, and did not address whether he knew about the alleged gambling operation before this week's revelations. And that was probably for the best, for how does he explain his way out of the wiretaps?

He did have the energy, however, to take a swipe at his critics.

"I'm not going anywhere," he said. "I'm still going to coach the Phoenix Coyotes. I've done nothing wrong."

It's a noble statement. Unfortunately, it's not true.

If the reports about the wiretap are accurate, Gretzky was more concerned with covering Janet's tracks - at the same time, he cast a blind eye to Tocchet's alleged actions - than he was with protecting the organization from harm.

Unless the facts ultimately prove otherwise, he should do the right thing and resign.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 12:33 PM

just saying.You do not know how much the above bolded statements **** me off. I guess I should just go join a convent since I am damaged goods and over my expiration date of acceptability.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 12:37 PM
Oh and another thing, I don't have "issues" with previous guy(s).

Just because someone is over 30 and single doesn't mean they have commitment issues. Not at all. I would love to go home every night to something other than an empty house. I would love to meet "the one" but that hasn't happened yet.

handcrafted
2/10/2006, 12:40 PM

Why do married people still look at pr0n? An addiction is an addiction, no matter how much money you have.

I'm with you. This cannot have a happy ending. One of my best friends' wife is a major major Gretzky fan. Even named her son Wayne. This is gonna crush her.

sooneron
2/10/2006, 12:40 PM
Oh and another thing, I don't have "issues" with previous guy(s).

Just because someone is over 30 and single doesn't mean they have commitment issues. Not at all. I would love to go home every night to something other than an empty house. I would love to meet "the one" but that hasn't happened yet.
Face it, you too, are warshed up. You aren't on the accelerated hillbilly timeline for weddins and such!:texan:

picasso
2/10/2006, 12:44 PM
not sure Homey was being 100% serious there folks.:)

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 12:48 PM
Why do married people still look at pr0n? An addiction is an addiction, no matter how much money you have.

I'm with you. This cannot have a happy ending. One of my best friends' wife is a major major Gretzky fan. Even named her son Wayne. This is gonna crush her.

Good point. I guess since I've never wagered on anything in my life, I don't understand the pull of it. You hate to see Gretzky caught up in it, and it looks like he is.

Herr Scholz
2/10/2006, 12:51 PM
Stay single for the love of God.

Okla-homey
2/10/2006, 01:04 PM
not sure Homey was being 100% serious there folks.:)

eggszackery -- except for the pre-nup part.;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 01:13 PM
He may not be entirely serious, but there is a ton of that ideology out there.

People ask me all the time "why aren't you married?" like being single is some kind of a curse.

I went out with a guy twice last year who basically said he wouldn't go out with me a third time because it was a concern that I had never been in a failed long term relationship.

picasso
2/10/2006, 01:18 PM
He may not be entirely serious, but there is a ton of that ideology out there.

People ask me all the time "why aren't you married?" like being single is some kind of a curse.

I went out with a guy twice last year who basically said he wouldn't go out with me a third time because it was a concern that I had never been in a failed long term relationship.
yeah but that logic doesn't just apply to you girls. I've had the 3rd degree before from snobby younger girls for being older and never married.

Mjcpr
2/10/2006, 01:25 PM
yeah but that logic doesn't just apply to you girls. I've had the 3rd degree before from snobby younger girls for being older and never married.

My Gaydar is beeping.

Pricetag
2/10/2006, 01:28 PM
Heh, I don't think this analogy is going to fly. You're comparing a existing source of monetary riches in the fortune of the Gretskys to a potential source of sexual riches in a marriage.

How many married guys out there think these are similar cases? :D

OhU1
2/10/2006, 01:51 PM
Lex, lets hope that Pete Sampras has a lock on his money. His martial situation matches your description of Gretzky exactly.

I like ole Pete but I would understand if Bridgette Wilson needed to look for excitment elsewhere. Pete by his own admission likes to sleep 12 hours or more a day. The British press described Pete as a gloomy robot. Not exactly what most young hot blonde California chicks go for.

picasso
2/10/2006, 02:38 PM
My Gaydar is beeping.
well tone down your gayness then.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:40 PM
I have Gaydar.

JAPAN BOMBS PEARL HARBOR

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:41 PM
it's not like if she ever gave you the time of day, that you wouldn't hit it

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/allposters/mmph/248204_rt.jpg

Is that her? No thanks.

picasso
2/10/2006, 02:44 PM
http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/Janet.Jones.Gretzky.1987.jpg
ahem...

and if you need more reference material watch the Matt Dillon movie "Flamingo Kid." especially the pool scene.:)

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 02:45 PM
She was in that gymnastics movie where the Sex Pistols guitarist and Duran Duran guitarist played the theme song. Wierd. Just plain wierd.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/Janet.Jones.Gretzky.1987.jpg
ahem...

Butter Girl

C&CDean
2/10/2006, 02:50 PM
Y'all ease up on ol' homey.

What he's saying - in general - is true. There's exceptions, but for the most part, people who get to 30+ without hooking up (not always marriage, just a long-term commitment) typically have major issues. Dudes and chicks.

And even if they don't, by the time they're like 35+, they're so set in their ways (ie. selfish) that you couldn't live with them.

And then there's the other side of the coin. You know, the guys like gdc who've been married a half-dozen times to donkey girls from Juarez, tittay dancers, and blind hookers. Hooking up with him would probably be quite the adventure.

picasso
2/10/2006, 02:50 PM
She was in that gymnastics movie where the Sex Pistols guitarist and Duran Duran guitarist played the theme song. Wierd. Just plain wierd.
I once dated a girl from Arizona who was an extra in that awesome flick.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2006, 02:57 PM
Well SBSB could hook up with me and be Holley Holley, how sweet would that be!!!

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 02:58 PM
And even if they don't, by the time they're like 35+, they're so set in their ways (ie. selfish) that you couldn't live with them.

This is what I'm afraid of. :(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 02:59 PM
Well SBSB could hook up with me and be Holley Holley, how sweet would that be!!!Since I am named after my grandma's maiden name we are probably related already.

C&CDean
2/10/2006, 03:01 PM
Since I am named after my grandma's maiden name we are probably related already.

Y'all would have to move to Arkansas.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 03:01 PM
we are probably related already

When in Oklahoma....

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2006, 03:04 PM
Doubtful you are of the City Dwelling Holley's, I am of the Po Dunk Country Trash Holley's ;)

Tear Down This Wall
2/10/2006, 03:07 PM
American Anthem was the gynamstics movie. She was also in...Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach. Should people who actually agreed to be in Police Academy 5 be called actors or actresses?

lexsooner
2/10/2006, 05:25 PM
Hey, I agree she is/was hawt. That is not in dispute. The question is whether a celebrity like the Great One should marry a Hollywood type like Janet Jones, not whether any guy would have a roll in the sack with her if he could. The answer to the first part is NO, and the answer to the second part YES YES YES . . . . .

The last thing any celebrity wants is to marry a spouse who will bring them embarassment and even bring him down with her. Tiger Woods married a hawt Swedish model, but she is very low key and never seems to have much to say. Obviously time will tell whether she will cause Tiger any grief, but so far he seems to have made a good choice.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 05:27 PM
Doubtful you are of the City Dwelling Holley's, I am of the Po Dunk Country Trash Holley's ;)I am from the Arkansas/SE Oklahoma Holleys.

My grandma was borned in Red Oak.

sooneron
2/10/2006, 06:12 PM
Y'all ease up on ol' homey.

What he's saying - in general - is true. There's exceptions, but for the most part, people who get to 30+ without hooking up (not always marriage, just a long-term commitment) typically have major issues. Dudes and chicks.

And then there's the other side of the coin. You know, the guys like gdc who've been married a half-dozen times to donkey girls from Juarez, tittay dancers, and blind hookers. Hooking up with him would probably be quite the adventure.
First of all, most people that are not married over thirty have been in some sort of commitment, whether they want to admit it or not.
Second of all, the craziest chicks I ever dated baggage-wise were all under 30.
I like it when people that have never been out there at that particular time think they have all the knowlege in the world about it.
Most people over 30, especially women in urban areas, actually like to focus on careers etc. before settling down.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2006, 09:03 PM
From what I can tell, older women like to talk about spekkers alot too :(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 09:10 PM
First of all, most people that are not married over thirty have been in some sort of commitment, whether they want to admit it or not.
Second of all, the craziest chicks I ever dated baggage-wise were all under 30.
I like it when people that have never been out there at that particular time think they have all the knowlege in the world about it.
Most people over 30, especially women in urban areas, actually like to focus on careers etc. before settling down.Yeah I have a friend who was an attorney in NY for 5 years after she went to law school at Georgetown. She told me none of her friends from the east coast were married. It's a totally different world. Here if you aint hitched or divorced by 20 with a kid or three then you must be one of those southeastern Oklahoma lezbeens.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/10/2006, 09:13 PM
Tom Coburn can't lie so he must be right!!

SoonerInKCMO
2/10/2006, 09:56 PM

Heck, I've done some speed-dating in the past and found myself rejected as freak material for being in the same situation as you ... within three minutes of meeting a woman.

Like being divorced or having been in a six-year relationship that ended badly somehow makes them better than me. Hey - at least I'm able to recognize a bad situation quickly and end it before it gets too messy. Ain't my fault them beyonces is stupid. :texan:

HoserSooner
2/10/2006, 11:15 PM

If she bet on hockey games, then yeah, it is a problem. But from all accounts that have been reported, the bets were made on the Super Bowl and basketball games. If she wants to throw $75 large on the coin flip of the Super Bowl, it's her money to lose.

The bigger issue that most people seem to be missing, is the Phoenix Coyotes owner made a bet through Tocchet. I'd be a bit more concerned with that, than the coaches wife making a bet.

She hasn't done anything illegal, unless she won money, and didn't report it as income, which I doubt anyone that wins bets made through a bookie does anyway.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/10/2006, 11:51 PM
Heck, I've done some speed-dating in the past and found myself rejected as freak material for being in the same situation as you ... within three minutes of meeting a woman.

Like being divorced or having been in a six-year relationship that ended badly somehow makes them better than me. Hey - at least I'm able to recognize a bad situation quickly and end it before it gets too messy. Ain't my fault them beyonces is stupid. :texan:Yeah that's what that guy told me last year. He said "so you're 30 and you've never even been engaged? Hmmm. Well. . .I guess I'll see you around."

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/11/2006, 12:10 AM
I say don't worry about it SBSB, you seem like an ultra cool girl. You seem to have a great sense of humor and you are a cool chick in my book. Some guy will be very lucky to have a girl as wonderful as you one day and you will be worth the wait for some special guy for sure. Age doesn't make anything special, it is the companionship you get from that person that makes it special.

SoonerInKCMO
2/11/2006, 12:11 AM
Look at Gandalf workin' it overtime! :mack:

KC//CRIMSON
2/11/2006, 12:12 AM

just saying.

Damn, Homey! You really $hit the bed with that one.:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/11/2006, 12:13 AM
The funny thing is I am drunk and still manage plus SBSB is probably my lost cousin so she has to be cool ;)

Okla-homey
2/11/2006, 06:35 AM
Damn, Homey! You really $hit the bed with that one.:D

yep. In Over 6000 posts, I guess you're bound to p1ss some folks off eventually. Anyway, it was a dumb thing to say publicly and I'm genuinely sorry for making folks mad. That view is however, the general opinion held by an awful lot of folks -- of course, an awful lot of folks used to have the general opinion that the world was flat and the sun was hauled across the sky from horizon to horizon each day in Apollo's chariot...so much for collective wisdom.;)

The original subject here had to do with a bazillioniare ex-sports legend marrying a washed-up ex-"B movie" actress. That just seemed like a recipe for disaster to me.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/11/2006, 08:27 AM
Homey,

I was never mad at you. . .just at the ideology. You don't know what it's like to be a nearly 32 year old woman who has never been even close to married but who wants to possibly be.

Okla-homey
2/11/2006, 09:56 AM
Homey,

I was never mad at you. . .just at the ideology. You don't know what it's like to be a nearly 32 year old woman who has never been even close to married but who wants to possibly be.

Well baby girl here's the dealio.

Its one thing to be some 30+ chicky-poo party girl who's been living fast and loose and went from guy to guy like a piece of pie. Its another thing entirely to be a 30+ woman who's been pretty busy taking care of business and making a decent life for herself while hoping for the right guy to come into her life -- or someone who married young, found herself trapped in an abusive relationship and after 30, finally found the courage or acquired the means to walk out on the bastage.

That sister, is the essential distinction and any guy who isn't able to see that ain't worthy of your affection anyway.

It'll happen.

lexsooner
2/11/2006, 01:07 PM
yep. In Over 6000 posts, I guess you're bound to p1ss some folks off eventually. Anyway, it was a dumb thing to say publicly and I'm genuinely sorry for making folks mad. That view is however, the general opinion held by an awful lot of folks -- of course, an awful lot of folks used to have the general opinion that the world was flat and the sun was hauled across the sky from horizon to horizon each day in Apollo's chariot...so much for collective wisdom.;)

The original subject here had to do with a bazillioniare ex-sports legend marrying a washed-up ex-"B movie" actress. That just seemed like a recipe for disaster to me.

Homey, what you said has a genuine seed of truth to it. I am single and have passed my 20s and I have to acknowledge this fact. Yes, I am quite set in my ways and have my own set of issues, though probably no worse than the average guy.

Nevertheless, I think what stings (besides the truth of your statement) is the fact it is coming from a married person, presumably happily so, saying something about a matter which is the problem of singles folks. Single life and dating are really not much fun at all, and having married folks try and set you up with dates or just talk about your singleness and make sport of you can get very old, fast. It just smacks of "I'm an insider and normal and you on the outside are screwed," though I am certain you did not intend it to come out that way. I think given the reaction from us various single folks, you hit upon a very sore subject matter which us singles have to unhappily deal with in our lives, especially those of us who still would like to marry and have kids someday.

That being said, it was big of you to apologize, though I don't think it was necessary since you didn't mean any harm and had no idea of how sensitive this subject matter is with singles.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/11/2006, 01:14 PM
Well baby girl here's the dealio.

Its one thing to be some 30+ chicky-poo party girl who's been living fast and loose and went from guy to guy like a piece of pie. Its another thing entirely to be a 30+ woman who's been pretty busy taking care of business and making a decent life for herself while hoping for the right guy to come into her life -- or someone who married young, found herself trapped in an abusive relationship and after 30, finally found the courage or acquired the means to walk out on the bastage.

That sister, is the essential distinction and any guy who isn't able to see that ain't worthy of your affection anyway.

It'll happen.Thank you for the vote of confidence. :) I'm an executive at my company. I have a master's degree from THE University of Oklahoma, and I bought my own house when I was 26. I don't think I've done enough partying. ;)

I always said I would know when "the one" came along. Maybe he's not ready yet. . .maybe he's still in high school ;). . .maybe he's with someone else. . .who knows. But I can wait. :)

lexsooner
2/11/2006, 01:16 PM
If she bet on hockey games, then yeah, it is a problem. But from all accounts that have been reported, the bets were made on the Super Bowl and basketball games. If she wants to throw $75 large on the coin flip of the Super Bowl, it's her money to lose.

The bigger issue that most people seem to be missing, is the Phoenix Coyotes owner made a bet through Tocchet. I'd be a bit more concerned with that, than the coaches wife making a bet.

She hasn't done anything illegal, unless she won money, and didn't report it as income, which I doubt anyone that wins bets made through a bookie does anyway.

Anyone who has bet half a million dollars in a short period of time like Janet Jones, legally or illegally, has a serious problem - boredom, addictive personality, stupidity, lack of character, whatever. Nobody bought William Bennett's excuse for losing millions in Atlantic City when he said he was still well off and did it legally. Everyone conceded he had a problem.

It's even a bigger problem when your husband is a sports legend and still involved in his sport, even if Jones did not bet on hockey. What is the saying about Ceasar's wife?

SoonerInKCMO
2/11/2006, 03:05 PM
.maybe he's still in high school ;). .

My first wife ain't even born yet baby! :texan:

lexsooner
2/11/2006, 03:24 PM
My first wife ain't even born yet baby! :texan:

Not even born yet? Why you cradle robber! I suggest you follow my lead and look up some old high school and college classmates to see if they have daughters.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/11/2006, 04:30 PM
My first wife ain't even born yet baby! :texan:Is her name "Anna Nicole?"

Scott D
2/12/2006, 07:56 PM

To answer the first question you don't understand....A lot of it is related to competition, especially when they are retired. Gambling tends to give the same kind of rush to them as they got when they are playing. Think about how many 'retired' athletes play golf, think of how many current athletes play golf. Now while they may love/enjoy the game of golf, do you really think they don't bet on scores, shots, how many putts, how far drives will go, etc.?

They need to prove that Gretzky even bet period, much less on hockey before they can invoke a ban. To this point the only thing that is being shown is that he was aware of Tocchet's bookie scheme and that his wife had placed bets through them. Apparently Gretzky knew that it wasn't a smart thing to do otherwise he'd have never had that conversation with Tocchet where he was looking for a way to keep his wife out of trouble.

Scott D
2/12/2006, 08:51 PM
Specific information on when a wiretap conversation was recorded appears to support Wayne Gretzky's contention that he had no prior knowledge of an illegal gambling ring involving his wife and Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet.

A New Jersey state police wiretapped conversation of Gretzky asking Tocchet how Gretzky's wife, Janet Jones, could avoid being named as a participant in the ring happened last Monday - the day after Jones allegedly won money betting on the Super Bowl, sources told The Associated Press.

A person with knowledge of the investigation confirmed the wiretap was recorded last Monday, the day Gretzky's lawyer said New Jersey detectives showed up at the Phoenix coach's doorstep looking to speak to his wife.

"Published reports that Wayne had spoken to Rick Tocchet about his concern for Janet prior to officers appearing at Wayne's house on Monday are completely ludicrous," said Gretzky's attorney, Ron Fujikawa. "It's absolute balderdash."

That throws a monkeywrench into this idea that he's guilty.

HoserSooner
2/12/2006, 09:51 PM
The problem now is that the public had already considered him guilty, and had put him in the same category as Pete Rose and Rafiel Palmero.

OklahomaTrombone
2/12/2006, 09:54 PM
I just wanted to type balderdash