PDA

View Full Version : MSRP Versus Dealer Cost

Jerk
2/9/2006, 06:04 PM
Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how much MSRP is over dealer invoice? I ask because a driver that works with me has a wife who works at a major area dealer and he says that she can get me $500.00 over dealer invoice.

I'm thinking of either a Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler.

DCSooner
2/9/2006, 06:05 PM
www.autos.msn.com

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how much MSRP is over dealer invoice? I ask because a driver that works with me has a wife who works at a major area dealer and he says that she can get me $500.00 over dealer invoice.

"Dealer invoice" is an imaginary number because dealers never pay retail either, but this site has something called True Market Value based on where you live: www.edmunds.com

Nab'R
2/9/2006, 06:11 PM
Usually, unless it's a brand new model (like this year's Commander) or something specialty or hard to get (like a Rubicon), most dealers will sell at or below invoice. You could call or go around and seel what different dealers will do compared to invoice. That way, you're getting apples to apples.

Make sure they're giving you the correct invoice price, though. On one vehicle, Bob Moore said they'd do $1000 over invoice. The invoice price they gave me was $1000 more than the actual invoice, though, so they were doing $2000 over invoice. And lying to my face.

yermom
2/9/2006, 06:12 PM
i like this site: http://www.edmunds.com/new/jeep/index.html

do they still do that holdback thing? sometimes invoice isn't even the low point for buying a car

they have lots of ways of robbing you/making money it goes well beyond the sticker ;)

yermom
2/9/2006, 06:13 PM
heh, guess i took too long ;)

damn chicks coming in my office...

BeetDigger
2/9/2006, 06:17 PM

:eek:

Pic?

yermom
2/9/2006, 06:18 PM
don't worry, she's "taken" ;)

Jerk
Thanks, guys....really appreciate it.

It appears MSRP is around $1500 to $2000 over dealer invoice for what I'm looking for.

mdklatt

I'll be right there.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:20 PM

Being taken is often a prerequisite for coming in the office.

skycat
2/9/2006, 06:20 PM

Apparently.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:22 PM
It appears MSRP is around $1500 to $2000 over dealer invoice for what I'm looking for.

"Dealer invoice" and MSRP are all imaginary numbers the salesman throws around to distract you while he reaches for the KY.

Jerk
2/9/2006, 06:34 PM
"Dealer invoice" and MSRP are all imaginary numbers the salesman throws around to distract you while he reaches for the KY.

That doesn't sound good!

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:40 PM
That doesn't sound good!

Then he'll ask you how much you want to pay each month and jerk you around on your trade-in value to mask the sound of his zipper going down.

XingTheRubicon
2/9/2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks, guys....really appreciate it.

Be careful when buying from just invoice. There's all kinds of seasonal rebates and dealer holdback can lower the cost even more.

I would call at least 5 major Jeep dealers. Tell them your getting a price on an exact model and the one that comes in the lowest will get your business.
Then have the salesman fax your price with a managers signature to you before you go there.

It also doesn't hurt to say "so and so Jeep said that you guys couldn't compete with their price, but I'm checking anyway." Get their ego involved.

OUinFLA
2/9/2006, 07:28 PM
Either I or my biz have bought about 15 vehicles over the past 10 years.
I shop pretty hard and have developed a nice relationship with a Chevy, a Ford and a Dodge ownership (either owner or sales manager). I figure Im getting about as good a deal as can be found in my area when I price out each vehicle.
A dealership owner who is a neighbor treated me the best and that was $100 over invoice.
Im still getting screwed.
I know he had at least a 3% kickback coming to him, and you kinda got to watch that tricky little charge called "dealer administrative fee". At one dealer I went to, it was $580. Now you cant tell me that it takes that dealer $580 to process a sale, while one of my "friendly" dealers only was going to charge me $85 for the same processing.
After 40+ years of buying new and used vehicles, I have come to the conclusion, that a car is a necessary expense, and your going to lose your butt anytime you go to buy one.
The only car's I have made out on are a few classic cars (57 Chevy, 57 TBird) that do not seem to go down in value. The do go up however.

One of the wealthiest people I am aquainted with (net worth in the double digit millions) never ever buys a new car. He always buys one that is one to two years old. Let someone else take the 40% hit that new car buyers suffer with as soon as you drive it off the lot.

In addition to edmunds web site, try Kelly Blue Book. I think it is kbb.com
These two sites are excellent for telling you what a car should cost you and what you can reasonably expect for a trade in.

Cam
2/9/2006, 07:37 PM
It also doesn't hurt to say "so and so Jeep said that you guys couldn't compete with their price, but I'm checking anyway." Get their ego involved.
This method worked for me.

You might also ask if they have any cars that employees are driving. The GM had driven one that had under 2K miles and they took over 4K off the price. Don't know if this is typical or we just caught them on a good day.

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 08:33 PM
Use this site: http://www.carsdirect.com/home

I bought a Honda Accord last summer using them for $4500 off the sticker price. You won't get a fair trade out of the deal, that's how I knew I got a good price, but then you can turn around and sell your old car on autotrader.com in less than a week.

DCSooner
2/9/2006, 08:52 PM
This method worked for me.

You might also ask if they have any cars that employees are driving. The GM had driven one that had under 2K miles and they took over 4K off the price. Don't know if this is typical or we just caught them on a good day.

Those are called "demos", and usually knock a bunch off sticker.

XingTheRubicon
2/9/2006, 11:07 PM
Keep in mind a demo has the exact same bottom line cost as a new vehicle.

Dealers are willing at times to go below invoice and into holdback for demos and CAN do the same on new if you beat them up enough.

One last thing, an advertised price in the paper cannot have a "doc fee" added to the total if you request that it be removed. (Oklahoma)

soonerjoker
2/10/2006, 11:50 AM
OUinFLA
anyone that ever took a "40 % hit" as soon as they drove it off
the lot, must've made a TERRIBLE deal.

i prefer new cars.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2006, 12:00 PM
Here's an example from carsdirect.com:

2006 Ford F-150 4x2 SuperCrew Cab Styleside 5.5 ft. box 139 in. WB XLT
MSRP price: $31,035
Dealer Invoice price: $28,129
Carsdirect price: $26,429

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=85297&acode=USB60FOT11FA0&restore=false

TopDaugIn2000
2/10/2006, 12:03 PM
OUinFLA
anyone that ever took a "40 % hit" as soon as they drove it off
the lot, must've made a TERRIBLE deal.

i prefer new cars.

must've been a GM :D

I only lost $3,600 on my '02 camry in 4 years.

mdklatt
2/10/2006, 12:11 PM
I only lost $3,600 on my '02 camry in 4 years.

But how much value did it lose in the last few seconds you had it? :P

:eddie:

TopDaugIn2000
2/10/2006, 12:12 PM
But how much value did it lose in the last few seconds you had it? :P

:eddie:

Honestly, I think State Farm gave me a better price for it than I could've gotten anywhere else BEFORE the crash.

soonerjoker
2/11/2006, 10:54 AM
anybody worth "double-digit millions", can afford new cars, with
immediate 40 % depreciation. (40 % must've been on a "yugo".