PDA

View Full Version : From a UCLA guy: Honest question re: Troy Aikman

EZBEACH4
2/9/2006, 05:58 PM
... Given the fact that Troy Aikman was BORN in So. California(see link here) and, as I undersand it, lived there until 6th grade until he moved to Oklahoma, played Jr. High, High School, and the first two years of his College Football in Oklahoma, .. before transferred to UCLA and spending his RS year + his last two years of College football there .... do you guys consider him more of an Oklahoman or a Southern Californian ? Trying to be objective, ... I honestly don't know for sure. It certainly has to be a close decision. I guess that Aikman would be the best one to ask that question of ?

... Your thoughts ?

http://www.who2.com/troyaikman.html

LosAngelesSooner
2/9/2006, 06:01 PM
He's an Okie in my mind. Always has been.

That accent of his sure isn't SoCal.

Big Red Ron
2/9/2006, 06:03 PM
... Given the fact that Troy Aikman was BORN in So. California(see link here) and, as I undersand it, lived there until 6th grade until he moved to Oklahoma, played Jr. High, High School, and the first two years of his College Football in Oklahoma, .. before transferred to UCLA and spending his RS year + his last two years of College football there .... do you guys consider him more of an Oklahoman or a Southern Californian ? Trying to be objective, ... I honestly don't know for sure. It certainly has to be a close decision. I guess that Aikman would be the best one to ask that question of ?

... Your thoughts ?

http://www.who2.com/troyaikman.html You can have 'em. When he was forced out at OU, I think he felt the same as me.

OUGreg723
2/9/2006, 06:10 PM
I think he is as much Californian as Oklahoman. I'd count him as both.

Big Red Ron
2/9/2006, 06:11 PM
Oh btw...

Two years at UCLA = Squa******

Two years at OU = National Champion

sooneron
2/9/2006, 06:15 PM
Oh btw...

Two years at UCLA = Squa******

Two years at OU = National Champion
Quote du jour!:texan:

Sooner Suzie
2/9/2006, 07:26 PM
Why not ask Troy what he lists as his hometown? He's stated it many times.

Personally, I hardly blame Troy for leaving. After he broke his leg and Jamielle Holloway led the Sooners to an MNC, the writing was on the wall as far as his career at OU was concerned. Had he stayed and been the backup QB, he hardly would have been the No. 1 NFL draft pick. Had he stayed there might have been a QB controvery somewhere down the line. It worked out best for both schools. No grudges here.

anglachel
2/9/2006, 10:50 PM
I was a big Troy fan from his days at OU all the way thorugh Dallas. I never had any hard feelings at all about him leaving OU. It was the best thing for him and the Sooners.

I did lose a lot of respect for Troy when Barry came to Dallas and his issues with Barry surfaced. From all I understand, Barry went out of his way to get Troy to a program that would help his career. The only mistake that Barry made was changing the program to fit one player in the first place. Barry made that mistake twice once with Troy and earlier with Dupree. IMHO.

Big Red Ron
2/9/2006, 10:57 PM
I never had any hard feelings at all about him leaving OU. It was the best thing for him and the Sooners.

I barely even noticed.

southern sooner
2/9/2006, 10:58 PM
The only mistake I can recall Barry making was going to the NFL - Screw pro ball....

anglachel
2/9/2006, 11:02 PM
I barely even noticed.

Yeah, the whole NC thing does tend to be distracting. :D

Big Red Ron
2/9/2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah, the whole NC thing does tend to be distracting. :DThat and the fact that we had J. Holliway for three more years. ;)

westcoast_sooner
2/9/2006, 11:34 PM
I always felt bad for Troy, since he lost his job because of an injury. But when his backup took the team to a MNC, he had to do what was right for Troy. I always like Troy, not only because of the Oklahoma connection, but he seemed like a class guy playing in a class organization - except for some of his teammates. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

bspoke1
2/9/2006, 11:34 PM
Troy is a hero to most okies.If anyone saw him play in HS or at OU they know how incredable he was.I played against him when he was a sophmore and I was a senior.Needless to say ,he lit us up.He was a man amongst boys.The hens were lucky to have him.If he had been in california in his HS days he would have been the next Frank Gifford.
Only Barry "wife cheating with my defensive cord.wife"Switzer could run off a future NFL hall of famer.I played at OU when this went down and Switzer was more then happy to see Troy go.He didnt like change .He tried to make Troy an option QB.Switzer didnt change the offense for Troy .He tried to change Troy for the offense.When Miami broke his leg at norman barry was excited that he could put in his wishbone boy JH.Unless you were on the sideline like I was dont even post on this thread because you dont know.

back to the poster.I only hope Troy claims us as his home because I was honored to have known him

KaiserSooner
2/9/2006, 11:37 PM
I really don't care where Aikman is from. For that matter, I really don't care about Aikman.

KaiserSooner
2/9/2006, 11:39 PM
Only Barry "wife cheating with my defensive cord.wife"Switzer could run off a future NFL hall of famer.

:eddie:

Yeah, damn Switzer and his '85 national championship! :rolleyes:

bspoke1
2/9/2006, 11:43 PM
The last poster is probabley right .Nothing matters when you are 4 years old.

KaiserSooner
2/10/2006, 12:00 AM
The last poster are probaley right .Nothing matters when you are 4 years old.

Wow.

At least I've been able to master English verb tense, spelling, and punctuation in my four years, whereas you, apparently, are still working on it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/10/2006, 12:11 AM
The only mistake that Barry made was changing the program to fit one player in the first place. Barry made that mistake twice once with Troy and earlier with Dupree. IMHO.:P When the scholarship limits were imposed, the days of the "no pass offense" were numbered. From the time we played Miami in '85 on you could sense that the talent was spread out more, and a balanced attack was needed. By the time we played them again in '87 it was clear we had to have a passing game to provide the balance needed to compete at the top level. Switzer didn't throw a single pass 'til the middle of the 4th quarter in the "88 OB against the Canes.(Charles Thompson QB).ie, the change he made when Troy was brought in WAS A GOOD IDEA. He just had such a good runner in Holieway, and nobody else on our schedule with the talent that Miami had. He also threw the ball just enough, and Holieway was a decent passer. When we got Thompson, there was no effective passing game.

olevetonahill
2/10/2006, 12:17 AM
Screw my english but "howcomewhyfor" cant I neg this dude ?
Troy hates the king . the King Likes troy go figure ?

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:18 AM
Kaiser ! Wow that name reminds of an english major that
I had do all my work at OU.:eddie:

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:19 AM
Wow.

At least I've been able to master English verb tense, spelling, and punctuation in my four years, whereas you, apparently, are still working on it.

maybe he was standing on the sidelines in English as well :D

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:21 AM
Kaiser ! Wow that name reminds of an english major that
I had do all my work at OU.:eddie:

you had a 4 year old do your English in college?

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 12:27 AM
This Troll needs to be baned.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:30 AM
Thats all it takes at OU.MD passed and he was from Mississippi.
If the truth hurts ,you have no buisness crittisizeing your beloved footballers because most of us were there for football and not the academics.

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:32 AM
Thats all it takes at OU.MD passed and he was from Mississippi.
If the truth hurts ,you have no buisness crittisizeing your beloved footballers because most of us were there for football and not the academics.

hey Dexter there is an S between the O and U. You're on the wrong board again.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:34 AM
This Troll needs to be baned.Thats right .Ban me because the truth stinks and know one wants to hear or believe it.:(

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:38 AM
hey Dexter there is an S between the O and U. You're on the wrong board again.Yo jar head! Fyi ,bspoke is the name of my bicycle buisness. The Broken Spoke.:texan:

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:39 AM
Yo jar head! Fyi ,bspoke is the name of my bicycle buisness. The Broken Spoke.:texan:

you seem bitter

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:42 AM
only at the uninformed:eddie:

critical_phil
2/10/2006, 12:44 AM
BrokeSpoke Mountain would've been more apropos......

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:44 AM
did you just open your business cause it's not listed in the Yellow pages in Raleigh

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 12:49 AM
did you just open your business cause it's not listed in the Yellow pages in RaleighYo jar head are you stalking me?:confused:

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 12:51 AM
Thats right .Ban me because the truth stinks and know one wants to hear or believe it.:(
Well, I think you should be banned because you're clearly illiterate and this is a board which runs on at least a MINIMAL mastery of the English language, which you lack.

But it is only compounded by the fact that your stories are clearly fiction. All the stories from the sidelines when Troy was there reiterate over and over that Barry was doing EVERYTHING he could to transition to a new passing offense instead of the wishbone and he was very upset that Troy was hurt. Those are the facts. Yours are just more OSU trolling for reactions.

And for that, you should be banned.

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 12:58 AM
Yo jar head are you stalking me?:confused:

no I was just wondering where I could go to get my bicycle chain put on, also the air in my front tire is a little low. :eek:

I just couldn't find your top secret business in the book.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:00 AM
I bet you believe everything you you read !

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 01:01 AM
I bet you believe everything you you read !

I don't believe what I've been reading from you.

It helps when you can read

which is not a priority at OSU

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:04 AM
no I was just wondering where I could go to get my bicycle chain put on, also the air in my front tire is a little low. :eek:

I just couldn't find your top secret business in the book.What the hey! I thought marines ran every where.Bicycles would be cheating.

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 01:05 AM
Oh...dear.

Please...mods...end our suffering.

Ban the Poke.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:05 AM

which is not a priority at OSU

The sheep don't care.

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 01:10 AM
I like bspoke, I like his resolve.......I'll take bspoke and play any sucka in the country

so long as it's not a spelling bee

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:12 AM

which is not a priority at OSUWhen in dought ,blame everything on OSU.So when you were in basic and life pretty much stunk for you did you blame your situation on others for your insufficencies or did you suck it up and stand accountable.I think I know the answer:D

shavedmarmoset
2/10/2006, 01:14 AM
Wherever he's from, he an OG.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:17 AM
Isnt it funny that all the sheep jokes are comming from california,the land of the same sex weddings:texan: :P

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:20 AM
Was there another sheep joke besides mine? I missed it.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:27 AM
Sorry to threadjack :rolleyes: but I just thought of something.

When I was in high school I applied to several universities, including of course what turned out to be my alma mater, the great University of Oklahoma--but I did NOT apply to OSU.

So you can imagine my surprise when out of the blue I got a letter saying I had been accepted to OSU so I could complete my desired major in animal husbandry. :eek:

I wanted to major in JOURNALISM!!

Of course I was like WTF?!

This is a true story. I swear.

So I have a right to make as many sheep jokes as I wish.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:33 AM
And one more thing.

What is "animal husbandry"? Sounds just like something they'd have up there.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:35 AM
Honest mistake.Your name is Babe isnt it?:rolleyes:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:37 AM
Honest mistake.Your name is Babe isnt it?:rolleyes:

:D I'll hand it to you. That was funny.

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:42 AM
Finally,Someone gets it.Thanks:D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/10/2006, 01:47 AM
But I'm still cuter than you:

http://www.nsstudio.co.uk/babe.jpg

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 01:52 AM
Your killing me,the first was soooo much better than the pigs in the city.:D

Octavian
2/10/2006, 02:45 AM
Troy is a hero to most okies.If anyone saw him play in HS or at OU they know how incredable he was.I played against him when he was a sophmore and I was a senior.Needless to say ,he lit us up.He was a man amongst boys.The hens were lucky to have him.If he had been in california in his HS days he would have been the next Frank Gifford.
Only Barry "wife cheating with my defensive cord.wife"Switzer could run off a future NFL hall of famer.I played at OU when this went down and Switzer was more then happy to see Troy go.He didnt like change .He tried to make Troy an option QB.Switzer didnt change the offense for Troy .He tried to change Troy for the offense.When Miami broke his leg at norman barry was excited that he could put in his wishbone boy JH.Unless you were on the sideline like I was dont even post on this thread because you dont know.

back to the poster.I only hope Troy claims us as his home because I was honored to have known him

This is quite possibly the most historically inaccurate post I've ever seen on OU football.

Troy is a hero to most okies.

Unless you're a Dallas Cowboys fan or sitting in the McDonald's in Henryetta, thats laughable. Your definition of what makes an "Okie" is a little off anyways.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61272

Only Barry "wife cheating with my defensive cord.wife"Switzer could run off a future NFL hall of famer.

I dont even need to go into all of the players during the 70s and 80s that thrived under Barry Switzer's tenure. His teams' records and championships speaks for themselves and the individual achievements garnered during that era speak for themselves too.

(Not to mention the Heisman trophy winning RB he served as OC for in the late 60s or the Super Bowl ring he won in the 90s.)

I played at OU when this went down and Switzer was more then happy to see Troy go.

Someone seems bitter. Maybe you weren't one of those players that thrived under Switzer?? Just a shot in the dark...

More on this in a sec...

He didnt like change .He tried to make Troy an option QB. Switzer didnt change the offense for Troy. He tried to make Troy an option QB.

Is that why he dumped the wishbone (in favor of the I) when Marcus Dupree came to Norman? Is that why he gambled and switched back to the Bone at a time when the "experts" were saying it was a dinosaur (and then won another NC)? Is that why Aikman was throwing the ball all over the field like a madman against Miami that day in Norman before his leg was snapped?

When Miami broke his leg at norman barry was excited that he could put in his wishbone boy JH.

Then why didn't he start Jamelle at the beginning of the 85 season if he was sooo ready to play him? Switzer recruited Aikman very hard...Aikman's first start was a miserable performance (with several turnovers) and a loss against Kansas in 84. Switzer then started him again in 85 and stuck w/ him until his injury against Miami. After the injury, Jamelle was brilliant, we won a National Championship. What was he supposed to do? Bench his true frosh NC QB for a bumb knee? After that, Switzer promoted him to a number of people...Donahue smartly took the bait and the rest is history.

Unless you were on the sideline like I was dont even post on this thread because you dont know.

Yeah, thats it. :rolleyes: Because if you didn't fetch water for the other guys, facts dont matter and your opinion on OU football is null and void.

Doged
2/10/2006, 06:31 AM
I personally don't know any Okies that care two whits about Aikman. I'm sure there are some, I just don't know any (and I do know some people in Henrietta.. they don't care either). I don't know him and don't care to. He was an okay QB I guess, just seemingly arrogant and his car dealership commercials suck majorly.

Far as I'm concerned California can claim him and welcome to him.

SoonerShark
2/10/2006, 08:38 AM
Generally, I consider myself a citizen of the city where my graduation high school sits rather than where I was in sixth grade, which are two different cities. I bonded more strongly with friends who were there when I was driving and could control my destinations. I would think Henryetta would have some pull for Troy unless he was totally unsociable in high school. Aikman's sister, Tammy Powell, was a nurse in Oklahoma, if I remember correctly.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2006, 09:10 AM
Is that why Aikman was throwing the ball all over the field like a madman against Miami that day in Norman before his leg was snapped?

6-8 131 yds 1 TD in just over a quarter of action.

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 02:28 PM
An Aggie was washed up on a beach after a terrible shipwreck.

Only a sheep and a sheepdog were washed up with him. After looking

around, he realized that they were stranded on a deserted island.

After being there a while, he got into the habit of taking his two
animal companions to the beach every evening to watch the sun set.

One particular evening, the sky was a fiery red with beautiful
cirrus clouds, the breeze was warm and gentle - a perfect night for romance.

As they sat there, the sheep started looking better and better to
the lonely Aggie. Soon, he leaned over to the sheep and put his arm around
it.

But the sheepdog, ever protective of the sheep, growled fiercely
until the man took his arm from around the sheep.

After that, the three of them continued to enjoy the sunsets
together, but there was no more cuddling.

A few weeks passed by and, lo and behold, there was another
shipwreck. The only survivor was a beautiful young woman, the most beautiful woman the man had ever seen. She was in a pretty bad way when he rescued her and he slowly nursed her back to health.

When the young maiden was well enough, he introduced her to their
evening beach ritual.

It was another beautiful evening - red sky, cirrus clouds, a warm
and gentle breeze - perfect for a night of romance. Pretty soon, the Aggie
started to get "those feelings" again.

He fought the urges as long as he could, but he finally gave in and
leaned over to the beautiful young woman, cautiously, and whispered in her ear

"Would you mind taking the dog for a walk?"

Luthor
2/10/2006, 02:29 PM
He's an Okie in my mind. Always has been.

That accent of his sure isn't SoCal.

Like, totally no frick'n way dude.

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 02:50 PM
No...frickin'...way.

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 02:52 PM
Awww...how cute...BSPoke tried to negspek me! I got a pretty blue spek from captain "InThe Red"

Mods? Ban the Troll.

caphorns
2/10/2006, 02:54 PM
He's an OklaHORNian.

C&CDean
2/10/2006, 03:37 PM
Where do these people keep getting dredged up from?

Flagstaffsooner
2/10/2006, 03:49 PM
Where do these people keep getting dredged up from? Payne County.

olevetonahill
2/10/2006, 04:05 PM
Awww...how cute...BSPoke tried to negspek me! I got a pretty blue spek from captain "InThe Red"

Mods? Ban the Troll.
he did the same to me the idjit :rolleyes:

bspoke1
2/10/2006, 04:08 PM
I dont even need to go into all of the players during the 70s and 80s that thrived under Barry Switzer's tenure.
Hey, you forgot to mention the married women that also thrived under switzer in the 70's and 80's. Oh and I almost forgot to mention how the team thrived after the king jumped ship after the near death penalty was levied on us.

PS If your going to neg me ,have the*alls to sign it:mad: :D

LosAngelesSooner
2/10/2006, 04:40 PM
It's gonna be "sweep the poke out the door week" after B.S. Poke 1 get's baned.

Come on, Deano, pull the trigger.

score4OU
2/10/2006, 04:59 PM
PS If your going to neg me ,have the*alls to sign it

I negged you. There is no way you played at OU.

usmc-sooner
2/10/2006, 05:00 PM
I dont even need to go into all of the players during the 70s and 80s that thrived under Barry Switzer's tenure. Hey, you forgot to mention the married women that also thrived under switzer in the 70's and 80's. Oh and I almost forgot to mention how the team thrived after the king jumped ship after the near death penalty was levied on us.

PS If your going to neg me ,have the*alls to sign it:mad: :D

what about the married sheep that have suffered at your school. I hear Eddie Sutton is paying the sheep to take ACT's for the basketball team.

David Earl
2/10/2006, 05:46 PM
I dont even need to go into all of the players during the 70s and 80s that thrived under Barry Switzer's tenure. Hey, you forgot to mention the married women that also thrived under switzer in the 70's and 80's. Oh and I almost forgot to mention how the team thrived after the king jumped ship after the near death penalty was levied on us.

Maybe a couple days off will help you learn some message board manners.

tennsooner
2/10/2006, 07:10 PM
Darn don't ban him. I am sure he is only a beer or two away from being on the sideline in the pro's. Wonderful thing about the internet is that all those who spent their time stuck in their lockers in highschool can be some bad *** jocks here on the net.:D :D

crimson&cream
2/10/2006, 07:55 PM
Sorry to threadjack :rolleyes: but I just thought of something.

When I was in high school I applied to several universities, including of course what turned out to be my alma mater, the great University of Oklahoma--but I did NOT apply to OSU.

So you can imagine my surprise when out of the blue I got a letter saying I had been accepted to OSU so I could complete my desired major in animal husbandry. :eek:

I wanted to major in JOURNALISM!!

Of course I was like WTF?!

This is a true story. I swear.

So I have a right to make as many sheep jokes as I wish.
How about just a plain ole Aggie joke.
Know how to tell if an Aggie is married.? By the tobacco spit stains on the outside of both his pickup doors.!:eek:

crimson&cream
2/10/2006, 08:00 PM
I guess somebody should feel sorry for bspoke, and all his misspelled words etc, as he must have been in the same classes as Dexter Manley.:D