PDA

View Full Version : Great news for the Gulf Coast!

Penguin
2/9/2006, 03:19 PM
The current Gulf of Mexico water temperatures are 2-5 degrees warmer than normal!

By the way, it's only February.

I'm no tropical weather expert, but that sounds pretty bad. Will we see a tropical storm in May? Keep in mind that the last tropical system just petered out 5 weeks ago.

Link? Linky #1 (http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html) Linky #2 (http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html)

fadada1
2/9/2006, 03:22 PM
i thought you were going to say that new orleans had landed a lucritive chocolate contract with hersheys.

White House Boy
2/9/2006, 03:24 PM
Lord have mercy. I may have to move to North Dakota. I can't take too many more Cat 4 hurricanes.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 03:26 PM
Lord have mercy. I may have to move to North Dakota.

I hope you prefer large tornadoes and even larger hail.

White House Boy
2/9/2006, 03:28 PM
I hope you prefer large tornadoes and even larger hail.
Touche'

salth2o
2/9/2006, 03:29 PM
Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Squalls out on the gulf stream, big storms comin' soon
I passed out in my hammock, God, I slept 'till way past noon
Stood up and tried to focus
I hoped I wouldn't have to look far
I knew I could use a Bloody Mary
so I stumbled next door to the bar....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/9/2006, 03:36 PM
Better shut down NOLA now, so it won't be another Chine*e fire drill when the levees break again.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 03:48 PM
Better shut down NOLA now, so it won't be another Chine*e fire drill when the levees break again.

I think you mean butterscotch fire drill.

OUinFLA
2/9/2006, 04:04 PM
Mods:
Please delete this thread and allow me to have my 5 months of semi comfortability.

In Through The Out Door
2/9/2006, 04:16 PM
Years ago, Led Zeppelin warned of this very thing when the sang, "If it keeps on raining the levees going to break. When the levee breaks, I'll have no place to stay."

Whispering words of wisdom?

Penguin
2/9/2006, 04:24 PM
I'm going to drive my Chevy to the levee.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/9/2006, 04:31 PM
The current Gulf of Mexico water temperatures are 2-5 degrees warmer than normal!

By the way, it's only February.

I'm no tropical weather expert, but that sounds pretty bad. Will we see a tropical storm in May? Keep in mind that the last tropical system just petered out 5 weeks ago.

Link? Linky #1 (http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html) Linky #2 (http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html)
Thanks for the "head's up" Penguin - excuse me a minute please - I'm just going to go ahead and slit my wrists now! :eek:

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 04:32 PM
Last year was just the beginning. But, in 10-20 years, the Gulf waters will actually be cooler than normal, and Hurricane activity will be much lower.

skycat
2/9/2006, 04:33 PM
I'm going to drive my Chevy to the levee.

Good luck finding a dry one.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/9/2006, 06:41 PM
Last year was just the beginning. But, in 10-20 years, the Gulf waters will actually be cooler than normal, and Hurricane activity will be much lower.:( Good news! When the hurricanes stop, Louisiana will not be in the Southeast conference anymore. Instead, it will be part of the fledgling Antilles Conference.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:44 PM
Last year was just the beginning. But, in 10-20 years, the Gulf waters will actually be cooler than normal, and Hurricane activity will be much lower.

Maybe, but "normal" is slowly increasing at the same time.

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 06:45 PM
Maybe, but "normal" is slowly increasing at the same time.

According to some...

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 06:47 PM
According to some...

Melting glaciers are not figments of liberal imagination. The Earth is getting warmer. The unresolved questions are why, how much, and so what?

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 06:50 PM
Melting glaciers are not figments of liberal imagination. The Earth is getting warmer. The unresolved questions are why, how much, and so what?

Have you heard of "The Little Ice Age"? I also thought that global warming was happening until I watched a program on the History Channel about a period between roughly 1300 and 1880 where the temps of the Earth were slightly below average. It seems that Earth's climate is really varied and ever-changing.

I really can't believe in global warming anymore until at least two millenia of climate data have been recorded, which is well after my lifetime is over.

OklahomaTrombone
2/9/2006, 06:59 PM
Why is the Earth getting warmer?

This is why (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/images/sun-soho011905-1919z.jpg)

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:11 PM
Have you heard of "The Little Ice Age"? I also thought that global warming was happening until I watched a program on the History Channel about a period between roughly 1300 and 1880 where the temps of the Earth were slightly below average.

When **** that hasn't melted for a really long time (why do you think permafrost is called permafrost?) starts metling it means the Earth is getting warmer. Not warmer than it's ever been, but warmer than it was. The annual ups and downs of the yearly climate are layered on top of longer period cycles on top of longer period cycles, etc, etc. If the longer period cycle is in an upswing, warm years will be warmer and cold years won't be as cold.

I really can't believe in global warming anymore until at least two millenia of climate data have been recorded, which is well after my lifetime is over.

We do have that: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/paleo.html. Climate change ain't Intelligent Design--no belief required.

The people who stick their fingers in their ears going "la la la la" while Antarctica gets smaller are just as clueless as the Chicken Littles on the other side. Once again, science is getting politicized. People who can't even read a temperature graph are making climate policy. The really important questions are lost in all the bull****.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:16 PM
Why is the Earth getting warmer?

This is why (http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/images/sun-soho011905-1919z.jpg)

Increased solar output is definitely a factor; Mars is experiencing global warming too. I'm surprised the Daily Show hasn't blamed Bush for that yet. :rolleyes:

Something I saw the other day was Bush getting criticized for using climate change as "spin" for global warming. JFC. Anybody who doesn't know what 'GCM' stands for can STFU already.

OUinFLA
2/9/2006, 07:17 PM
If you really think global warming is an issue to be concerned about, may I suggest you read this book. Heck, even if you don't think so, I still think you ought to read this book. First novel I have read with scientific reference notations.
It's an eye opener for sure.

http://www.crichton-official.com/fear/images/fear_cover2.jpg

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 07:25 PM
When **** that hasn't melted for a really long time (why do you think permafrost is called permafrost?) starts metling it means the Earth is getting warmer. Not warmer than it's ever been, but warmer than it was. The annual ups and downs of the yearly climate are layered on top of longer period cycles on top of longer period cycles, etc, etc. If the longer period cycle is in an upswing, warm years will be warmer and cold years won't be as cold.

It is getting warmer than it was. Not that hard when we were in a mini-ice age. I also bet that within the next 100,000 years, we will have at least one ice age.

We do have that: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/paleo.html. Climate change ain't Intelligent Design--no belief required.

The people who stick their fingers in their ears going "la la la la" while Antarctica gets smaller are just as clueless as the Chicken Littles on the other side. Once again, science is getting politicized. People who can't even read a temperature graph are making climate policy. The really important questions are lost in all the bull****.

I meant us actually recording the different aspects of the weather everyday and keeping them archived. I don't think they were doing that 2,000 years ago. Sure, we can use various methods of archaeology and paleontology to get a picture of what the weather was like back then, but it's not specific or exact.

I'm not saying global warming is or isn't happening, but that there's not enough evidence to support it either way.

EDIT: Global warming as in, we the human race are ****ing up our planet permanently.

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 07:27 PM
If you really think global warming is an issue to be concerned about, may I suggest you read this book. Heck, even if you don't think so, I still think you ought to read this book. First novel I have read with scientific reference notations.

Crichton is a good author, but he does have some inconsistencies with the science in his books. He can research all he wants, but the end product is still a fiction book and is still mainly for entertainment purposes.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:39 PM
It is getting warmer than it was.

What do think GLOBAL WARMING means?!

I meant us actually recording the different aspects of the weather everyday and keeping them archived.

Climate observations, on the whole, are crap. Instument locations change over time. Instruments change over time. Observers change over time. Observing practices change over time. Data encoding changes over time. The site surrounding an instrument changes over time. Constructing a homogeneous time series is very difficult.

Do you know what hasn't changed over time? The melting point of water. When stuff melts that used to be frozen you don't need a reconstructed temperature time series to tell you what's going on.

I'm not saying global warming is or isn't happening, but that there's not enough evidence to support it either way.

**** that was frozen 100 years ago is melting. What do you suppose is causing that? Warming on a global scale perhaps?

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:43 PM
EDIT: Global warming as in, we the human race are ****ing up our planet permanently.

Sigh. The politicization of science--a completely nonjudgmental and unambiguous term has been termed into something both ambiguous and judgmental. :mad:

(The frownie isn't directed at you silverwheels.)

skycat
2/9/2006, 07:47 PM
Do you know what hasn't changed over time? The melting point of water.

Prove it.

I just feel like being ornery.

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 07:47 PM
I guess I'm not making myself clear enough, because you seem to think that I don't think the Earth is getting warmer. I'm saying that it may or may not be our fault that the climate is changing, and I'm leaning towards the "may not" side right now.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:48 PM
Prove it.

Well, you got me there. But if the melting point of water does change with time we're even more ****ed. :cool:

skycat
2/9/2006, 07:49 PM
I guess I'm not making myself clear enough, because you seem to think that I don't think the Earth is getting warmer. I'm saying that it may or may not be our fault that the climate is changing, and I'm leaning towards the "may not" side right now.

What md is trying to get at though, is that whether or not people are causing it is something different than global warming. Global warming isn't debatable. The amount of global warming that is influenced by human alteration of the enviornment is.

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, I know. I know the Earth is getting warmer. I guess I took the political viewpoint of the discussion.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:57 PM
I guess I'm not making myself clear enough

Before your edit, no.

I'm saying that it may or may not be our fault that the climate is changing, and I'm leaning towards the "may not" side right now.

There is lots of correlation between the rise of CO2 levels, the rise of industrialization, and the rise of temperatures, but correlation doesn't prove causation. Computer model experiments generally show that the temperature increase can be explained by the increased CO2, but look into the coding of a climate model and you'll see plenty of parameterizations (aka guesses). Meteorologists don't have as much of a grip on how the weather works as we'd like people to believe.

mdklatt
2/9/2006, 07:59 PM
What md is trying to get at though, is that whether or not people are causing it is something different than global warming. Global warming isn't debatable. The amount of global warming that is influenced by human alteration of the enviornment is.

Exactly. And is global warming going to overall bad? It will be bad for some places, but beneficial for others.

Like Minnesota.

critical_phil
2/9/2006, 10:57 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1164054&postcount=22

the plot is razor thin, but the dialogue among the characters is really good. makes you scratch your head.....

btw, i finished this the other day. if someone wants it, PM and i'll mail it to you. otherwise, it gets put in the goodwill stack.

Penguin
5/16/2006, 08:18 AM
The temperatures look pretty much average right now. I guess that's good news.

16 days until hurricane season. :)

OUinFLA
5/16/2006, 08:40 AM
16 days until hurricane season. :)

**** off, dip ****

TIA

Im still enjoying the non- storm season.

Mjcpr
5/16/2006, 08:42 AM
Please don't let it hurricane while I'm there next month.

TIA

Viking Kitten
5/16/2006, 09:28 AM

TIA

:les:IT'S JUST ALL ABOUT YOU, ISN'T IT, MAJOR?????

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rcmad: :eddie:

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 09:43 AM

TIA

I'll see what I can do.

:texan:

OUinFLA
5/16/2006, 09:48 AM

TIA

SoonerInFla is the hurricane magnet.
No matter where he is located, it is 70/40 to be ground zero.
just ask him to not be in Orlando when you are coming down.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 09:51 AM
just ask him to not be in Orlando when you are coming down.

I am the anti-hurricane. Scaldeddawg is the hurricane magnet.
He's attracted many in his lifetime. My superpowers had worked well
until last year, keeping Ivan and a host of others over the decade away from
here.

Sooner in Tampa
5/16/2006, 09:52 AM
NO Hurricane Jokes allowed dammit!

TUSooner
5/16/2006, 09:53 AM

TIA
Gimme a shout if you pass over this way, I know where there's some great devastation!

Sooner in Tampa
5/16/2006, 10:03 AM
just ask him to not be in Orlando when you are coming down.HEH...Orlando and Hurricane magnet is funny as **** to me...we evacuated for Hurricane Charlie...I think...we went to Orlando and stayed in a hotel that was full of Tampa evacuees...and guess what happen?? Hurricane Charlie hit Orlando :mad:

handcrafted
5/16/2006, 10:23 AM
"We're all ****ed. It helps to remember that."
-George Carlin

[George is not one of my heroes, but he certainly does have some words of widsom. Even if they do consist of a lot of ****'s. :)]

handcrafted
5/16/2006, 10:39 AM
Oh, and I blame cow farts.

slickdawg
5/16/2006, 11:19 AM
Oh, and I blame cow farts.

no doubt.

sooner n houston
5/16/2006, 11:30 AM

Is he the one GWB sends around to cause the Hurricanes? ;)

Boarder
5/16/2006, 11:33 AM
W needs no help. He is a mighty wizard who has more powers than our feeble minds can even fathom. BEWARE!