PDA

View Full Version : Books about OU or therein

crimson&cream
2/9/2006, 01:06 PM
Several have posted about books that are a good read concerning OU like "What is Means to be a Sooner" "Tale from the Sooner Sidelines"
There's another thats very interesting about different programs and their Stadium's ........"SATURDAY SHINES" College FB's Most Hallowed Grounds" by the Sporting News
About OU
"It shoots high into the Oklahoma sky and serves as home to one of the greatest programs in college football history.There have been great teams(seven national championships), great players (Heisman winners Billy Vessels, Stever Owens, Billy Sims, and Jason White) and great coaches (Bennie Owens, Bud Wilkinson,Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops.) Wrap it all up, and you have a special pakeage that makes this one of the best college football experiences in America, complete with color, pageantry,spectacle and entertainment."
"Setting..If your looking for a picturesque setting you'll be diappointed. But if it's intense Football envoirment, dripping with greatness, that your after,Memorial Stadium is the place to be on Saturdays in the fall."
IMO- It doesn't get any better than this.........................BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can purchase this book at Wally World. Thats where I got mine for less than $20. plus all the info on others to campare what they say about OU in comparison. OU's section is 4 pages long and the Front cover that I got is OU & the Sooner Schooner.
Interesting book.

oumartin
2/9/2006, 01:13 PM
Mine shows Alabamas stadium and something like 312 National titles

TexasBoomer
2/9/2006, 06:04 PM
Oklahom VS Texas -
Goes back to the caveman days and covers all the OU Texas games thru 1979 with pictures, stats, quotations from players and coaches. Also gives both schools' record from the time they started playing football. Also has the year end AP rankings from 1936 - 1979 and UPI 1950- 1979. List the all Americans from both teams from 1913 - 1979.

For your information in 1895 OU lost to Oklahoma City 0 to 34.
In 1896 OU beat Norman High twice 12 - 0 and 16 - 4. Those were the only games played those 2 years or at least recorded.

Let me know if you would like other scores!!

The VIIIth
2/10/2006, 09:08 AM
I don't recall which year, obviously early 1900's, that OU won the very first Southwestern Conference Title.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2006, 10:14 AM
I don't recall which year, obviously early 1900's, that OU won the very first Southwestern Conference Title.

The VIIIth
2/10/2006, 06:20 PM

Thanks Harry!