PDA

View Full Version : Big props to GWB for slowing cancer down

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 11:29 AM
I give him 100% credit.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2006-02-09T155644Z_01_N09274824_RTRUKOC_0_US-CANCER-USA.xml&rpc=22

fadada1
2/9/2006, 11:31 AM
there'd be more if he'd allow/promote funding for stem cell research.

picasso
2/9/2006, 11:38 AM
please read up on that.

OUstudent4life
2/9/2006, 11:41 AM
too bad none of those statistics really apply to Oklahoma.

Us stoopid rednecks can't figure out the whole "smoking is bad for you" thing :D.

http://www.health.state.ok.us/board/state/SOSH05.pdf

And I wouldn't give much credit to GWB for his promotion of health and curing disease, since the NIH is getting screeeewed in funding.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2006, 03:02 PM

Fada,
His Executive Order only applies to the funding of embryonic stem cell research; the only one form of stem cell research on which most of these ethical questions exist. Presently, there is absolutely no barriers to funding adult stem cell research, umbilical cord stem cell research, and other forms that don't involve having to interrupt the growth of a living embryo. In addition, there is absolutely no barrier to the PRIVATE or STATE funding of embryonic stem cell research. Private donations to medical research groups conducting such experiments has risen since the President limited Federal funding in that field.

The states have also stepped up in a magnificent display of the way Federalism is suppose to work. Several states whose citizens are more liberal have successfully pressured their states to set up embryonic stem cell research funding programs. And now those states are competing with other states who have passed similar legislation for stem cell researchers and programs.

fadada1
2/9/2006, 03:20 PM
Fada,
His Executive Order only applies to the funding of embryonic stem cell research; the only one form of stem cell research on which most of these ethical questions exist. Presently, there is absolutely no barriers to funding adult stem cell research, umbilical cord stem cell research, and other forms that don't involve having to interrupt the growth of a living embryo. In addition, there is absolutely no barrier to the PRIVATE or STATE funding of embryonic stem cell research. Private donations to medical research groups conducting such experiments has risen since the President limited Federal funding in that field.

The states have also stepped up in a magnificent display of the way Federalism is suppose to work. Several states whose citizens are more liberal have successfully pressured their states to set up embryonic stem cell research funding programs. And now those states are competing with other states who have passed similar legislation for stem cell researchers and programs.

thanks for the info. i'm very stubborn in my thinking with this issue. the way i perceive it, W is letting his personal opinion on the issue slow down the potential for life saving cures (especially with regards to spinal injuries). other countries are advancing and experimenting with stem cells, and seem to be doing well with results. with the resources we have in the US (money, research universities, scientists, etc...), we should be light years ahead of anyone.

states will only go as far as the federal govenment will let them. and there's no way a state like oklahoma could generate the funding that the fed. gov't could to finance some REAL research.

thanks for the info. this is always going to be a hot topic with zillions of different opinions.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2006, 03:50 PM
thanks for the info. i'm very stubborn in my thinking with this issue. the way i perceive it, W is letting his personal opinion on the issue slow down the potential for life saving cures (especially with regards to spinal injuries). other countries are advancing and experimenting with stem cells, and seem to be doing well with results. with the resources we have in the US (money, research universities, scientists, etc...), we should be light years ahead of anyone.

states will only go as far as the federal govenment will let them. and there's no way a state like oklahoma could generate the funding that the fed. gov't could to finance some REAL research.

thanks for the info. this is always going to be a hot topic with zillions of different opinions.

Let me give you a different way to look at it. My personal moral objection to the issue is not why I oppose Federal research money. The answer to your question is YES the Federal government is definitely in a better position to fund embryonic stem cell research. The states are actually free to go as far as they want or are capable of going short of outright human cloning, etc.

Here's my problem; The Federal Government has no Constitutional role in the funding of embryonic stem cell research. Fada, we could sit here literally for months listing everything we could use the Federal government to fund that would be a)An overall benefit to society and b)make us all feel good. Unfortunately, one we opened ourselves up to the mindset that the Federal government can be the means for solving problem A-Z there is literally no "stopping point." There is no longer any ideological way to limit the role of the Federal government on ANY issue. Now, I believe we opened that door long ago so I do what I can to oppose opening it any wider.

A lot of people feel very strongly on this issue, and I respect that. My own sister suffers from a disease that may or may not be cured 5, 10, 20 years from now if the Federal government got serious about funding multiple avenues of medical research without restriction. However, I'm simply not the kind of person that advocates policy based on my own emotional personal experiances. I understand people who do that reaction though and it's perfectly natural. That is precisely why we must work extra hard to protect fundamental principles from the whims of emotional responses. And conservatives are just as bad about it as liberals are, so I'm not singling anyone out.

fadada1
2/9/2006, 04:00 PM
However, I'm simply not the kind of person that advocates policy based on my own emotional personal experiances.
excellent, excellent view on life!!!!!!

unfortunately, many in government, namely our president, don't think this way. they DO let personal emotions drive the ship, instead of thinking of the larger picture and what will help the most people... especially when they have the power to do so.

SCOUT
2/9/2006, 04:27 PM
fadada,
President Bush has been very consistent in his stance on embryonic stem cell research. He was elected to office with everyone knowing what he would do on this subject. Given that, he is acting in a representative way of the American public. You might not agree with him or the people that elected him by to imply that he is ignoring everything but his own emotions is a little shortsighted.