PDA

View Full Version : Gretzky in major trouble

mrowl
2/9/2006, 10:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2324402

all respect for the great one that I had is now gone.

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 11:02 AM
I don't view him in a negative light, even if he did know about it or even if he pladed bets on football games.

I also don't have any problem morally with what Tocchet did, except that what he was doing was against the law.

This whole thing is a huge deal up here as you can imagine, but I think it is all to do about nothing personally.

I'll be looking forward to Don Cherry's comments on Coach's Corner this weekend to hear his take.

mrowl
2/9/2006, 11:09 AM
do you seriously think that they didn't bet on hockey?

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 11:14 AM
do you seriously think that they didn't bet on hockey?

100%.

Now, if it is found out that they did, get rid of all of them and don't let them near an NHL game for life.

But from all accounts that I have read and seen, all of the betting involved football and basketball.

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 11:52 AM
Now, if it is found out that they did, get rid of all of them and don't let them near an NHL game for life.
What if it's found out Gretzky had his wife bet on NHL games for him? Oh, Santa Maria...

But from all accounts that I have read and seen, all of the betting involved football and basketball.
Nobody knows anything about the scope of this illegal sports book at this point. Of course they're going to SAY they didn't bet on NHL games.

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 12:05 PM
What if it's found out Gretzky had his wife bet on NHL games for him? Oh, Santa Maria...

Yeah, that would be a major blow to the entire country. I think Wayne is smarter than that though.

Nobody knows anything about the scope of this illegal sports book at this point. Of course they're going to SAY they didn't bet on NHL games.

Well, I'm taking that from numerous reports from the investigators and what they have said publicly. Until they do the full disclosure of who did the betting, and what sport(s) they bet on, nobody can really say either way.

It's been the lead story on EVERY newscast, and has been on the front page of most newspapers since Tuesday. It's big news up here....hopefully it doesn't overshadow the Gold Medal that we're going to win in a couple of weeks. ;)

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 12:36 PM
It's all they're talking about on sports radio down here. Does anybody find it really weird that his wife supposedly bet half a million dollars in like a month? There seems to be way more to this story than we know so far.

What I don't understand is why? These people have plenty of money so placing a few bets is understandable, but why form a big illegal interstate gambling ring to do it? Why was there a New Jersey policeman involved?

I can see this being just a small group of friends making wagers between each other, or I could see this getting really really ugly. This will be interesting.

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 12:37 PM
It's been the lead story on EVERY newscast, and has been on the front page of most newspapers since Tuesday. It's big news up here...
I can only imagine. And good luck in the Olympics. ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/9/2006, 12:37 PM
It's big news up here....hopefully it doesn't overshadow the Gold Medal that we're going to win in a couple of weeks. ;)
:mad:

Bring it on, hoser. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 12:39 PM
Why was there a New Jersey policeman involved?

The Coyotes lose 2-1, understand?

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//dirt%20dog%20gifs%205/TonySoprano.jpg

Any connection with mob ties is not good for the NHL to say the least.

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 12:40 PM

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//dirt%20dog%20gifs%205/TonySoprano.jpg

I know. That's the worst case scenario I was talking about.

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 12:44 PM
I know. That's the worst case scenario I was talking about.
You think Janet Jones' exercise videos are mobbed up or something? Money laundering? Maybe Wayne Gretzky moves some serious weight out of Columbia.

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 12:48 PM
We'll see I guess. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 01:02 PM
Seriously though, any betting with a sports book that is theoretically tied to the mob isn't good. These professional athletes bet huge amounts of money. Stories about MJ and Barkley losing fortunes in Vegas are well known. What do you think happens if one of these athletes gets too far behind? Giving inside info, fixing games, etc.

mrowl
2/9/2006, 01:20 PM
100%.

come on... how could you not bet on the sport you know the BEST???

this is going to get really bad...

Flagstaffsooner
2/9/2006, 01:26 PM

Phoenix is the mafia capital of crooked sports. See aSu and Jerry "the enforcer" Colangelo .

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 01:34 PM
come on... how could you not bet on the sport you know the BEST???

this is going to get really bad...

Well, the fact that it is stated in the NHL rulebook that you aren't allowed to bet on hockey games. Now, that's not saying that they may or may not have given information on injuries etc. to those in the crime family that Tocchet as been associated with. You just don't bet on your own sport...I would hope that most professional athletes are aware of this fact.

Word up here now, is that the reason they mentioned Mrs. Gretzky, was to try and lure Wayne out, and that they apparently now have wiretapped conversations between Gretzky and Tocchet regarding the betting ring. On what level, they didn't say though.

If this is all about some NHL players throwing a few thousand down on a football game, then personally I don't have an issue with it. If this is about betting on hockey games, then all involved need to be removed, even if it is Gretzky.

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 02:04 PM
:mad:

Bring it on, hoser. ;)

Actually, if I was a betting man (whoa, wrong thread? :cool:), I'd have a tough time picking one. Canada and the Czechs are probably the best bets at this point in time.

HoserSooner
2/9/2006, 10:32 PM
"If I did one thing that would embarrass Team Canada or the country or hockey I would resign," he said. "It didn't happen.

"If I bet on sports - I would never embarrass Team Canada or the country or hockey - I would phone Gary Bettman and Bob Nicholson right now and say you know what, I resign, it's over, even if I made a $1 bet," Mr. Gretzky added, referring to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

"I wouldn't even go into a sports book in Vegas," Mr. Gretzky said. "Even though it's legal, I would never do that. That's how serious I am."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060209.wshoalts0209/BNStory/Sports/home

Wayne's the man.

walkoffsooner
2/9/2006, 11:38 PM
If wayne's wife told me to bet I would say how high.

RacerX
2/10/2006, 07:31 AM
Rafael Palmeiro never did steroids. He said so.

HoserSooner
2/10/2006, 08:45 AM
Yes, but at this point in time, Gretzky would know that if he was guilty, and was going to be outted, he would have to come clean.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2006, 08:55 AM
Like Pete Rose?

colleyvillesooner
2/10/2006, 09:49 AM
Like Pete Rose?

heh

mrowl
2/10/2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060209.wshoalts0209/BNStory/Sports/home

Wayne's the man.

wow... a little bit too trusting???

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2006, 11:38 AM
The report from the anonymous source on the wiretaps only alleges that he knew about the ring. There's still no proof he placed bets of any kind.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

HoserSooner
2/10/2006, 11:06 PM
The report from the anonymous source on the wiretaps only alleges that he knew about the ring. There's still no proof he placed bets of any kind.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

And if he did bet, as long as it wasn't on hockey games, then it really isn't a story.

walkoffsooner
2/10/2006, 11:24 PM
I would love to coach a guy that bet on his own team to win.

HoserSooner
2/13/2006, 02:24 PM
wow... a little bit too trusting???

Nope, not at all. :D

WisconsinSooner
2/13/2006, 02:51 PM
And if he did bet, as long as it wasn't on hockey games, then it really isn't a story.

I agree completely. The majority of pro athletes love to gamble. As long as they aren't betting on their own sports who cares. It's none of my business if they want to lose millions gambling on a basketball game or on a game of Texas Holdem.

Harry Beanbag
2/13/2006, 03:01 PM
There are reports that Gretzky has lost over $2 million betting legally in Vegas.

Scott D
2/13/2006, 05:01 PM
I want to give Kudos to ESPN and other media outlets especially the AP for totally jumping to conclusions and trusting an anonymous source....Jersey cops, never change.

HoserSooner
2/13/2006, 09:40 PM
I want to give Kudos to ESPN and other media outlets especially the AP for totally jumping to conclusions and trusting an anonymous source....Jersey cops, never change.

Not to mention that they don't bother to give the story that he ISN'T crooked any headlines.

WisconsinSooner
2/17/2006, 12:34 PM
Not only is Gretzky not in major trouble he is in no trouble at all nor is his wife. Disappointing how the facts get in the way of these stories.

"The attorneys' statements indicate that the first family of hockey at most placed wagers with the ring but had nothing to do with its operations. Under New Jersey law, it is not a crime to place a bet, even if the wager is with a bookie."

mrowl
2/17/2006, 01:37 PM
Not only is Gretzky not in major trouble he is in no trouble at all nor is his wife. Disappointing how the facts get in the way of these stories.

"The attorneys' statements indicate that the first family of hockey at most placed wagers with the ring but had nothing to do with its operations. Under New Jersey law, it is not a crime to place a bet, even if the wager is with a bookie."

but if they placed bets on hockey, yes, major trouble. That has yet to be determined.

WisconsinSooner
2/17/2006, 04:54 PM
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with his wife placing bets on Hockey. (not that she has) And I haven't seen or read anyone making any accusations that Wayne bet on hockey while he was a player or coach or in any way associated with the NHL. If the guy wants to lose money in Vegas, who cares. If he wants to gamble in Atlantic City, who cares. If his wife wants to place some bets through a bookie, who cares. There's nothing illegal about any of it. Another non story exagerated by the media in an attempt to bring down a legend.

WisconsinSooner
2/18/2006, 02:28 AM
"We would have enormous concern about any betting on NHL games, but I can safely say there is no evidence brought to our attention in conversations with the prosecutors and the New Jersey police," Daly said. "There is no evidence the integrity of any NHL games was at stake."