PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin's post game comments

NickZeppelin
2/9/2006, 01:22 AM
"I thought our defense was excellent. The more we watched tape the more we felt like we could match up with them man-to-man. Kevin got the two fouls early and had to sit out a lot. Taj Gray was really a non-factor tonight.

"Our freshman...Austin Johnson's stats won't show it, but I thought his defense tonight the entire night was outstanding. I thought Taylor Griffin, a kid that you don't here a lot about, but he gets it done on the court. He's a tough kid, understands how to play. When he goes for a rebound he's a man.

"I think we're just getting better. It's a shame that we lost the game on Sunday, but that's adversity. Nobody pointed fingers, nobody sat around and moped or felt sorry for anybody. We just said we've got another game Wednesday and we'll find out what we're made of. And we found out a lot about these young men that we have tonight. I just liked our toughness.

"The other thing was we played to win. There was no back down. When you get to the three minute mark you want to run some clock. We did that tonight, but we also got to the foul line. One big difference between tonight versus Sunday was we got to the foul line. Sunday we never could get to the free throw line. But we kept attacking, stayed aggressive and kept trying to score.

"A lot of times when you're on the road and a team's pressing you, there's a tendancy to get it across halfcourt and throw it back out. But we said, hey, if you've got a chance to go score, go score the thing. And I thought tonight we were on the balls of our feet versus our heels."

SoonerDood
2/9/2006, 03:13 AM
the haters are nowhere to be found...

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 06:52 AM
I'm not a Kelvin-hater, but I'm not a Kelvin-lover either. Those last two paragraphs sound like he's throwing the players under the bus to me. Like he has no control whatsoever about what they do on the court, please. :rolleyes:

RacerX
2/9/2006, 08:06 AM
Remeber Harry, support of Kelvin is a yes/no issue....

There is some good stuff here -

the link (http://newsok.com/article/1756118/?template=sports/main)

Bedlam notebook

Fab frosh? Try Griffin Oklahoma State’s 2005 recruiting class has been widely heralded as the nation’s best.
Wednesday night, however, the best Bedlam debut by a freshman belonged to Oklahoma’s Taylor Griffin.
Off the bench, Griffin scored 10 points, grabbed six rebounds and handed out two assists in 22 minutes. And those were just the stat-sheet tangibles. Griffin also did the little things, like diving on the floor to deflect a pass inside and setting stiff picks to free teammates on the offensive end.
“Taylor’s a huge plus for us,” said OU senior Kevin Bookout. “I’m glad he came here.”
Griffin, who averages 12 minutes in Big 12 play, posted career high for points and matched his personal bests for assists and minutes.
“Taylor Griffin, a kid you don’t hear a lot about, he gets it done on the court,” said Sooners coach Kelvin Sampson. “Tough kid. Knows how to play. And when he goes for a rebound, he’s a man.
“This kid’s going to get a whole lot better, too. He hasn’t begun to tap his potential.”

Head cases: OSU’s athleticism and skill is taking the Cowboys only so far. And right now, that’s not very far. Cowboys sophomore JamesOn Curry
“Basketball is a lot mental,” Curry said. “Physically and gifts from God, we’ve got probably a top 5 team in the nation.
“But thinking, we’re not ready yet.” suggests the team might be in need of a shrink.

Nice seats: Tommy and Gail Griffin, the parents of Taylor Griffin, were seated behind the Cowboys bench, wearing neutral colors. A house divided?
No, not yet anyway. The Griffins took their seats compliments of OSU, with their youngest son Blake in the house as an invited visitor. Blake, a top junior at Oklahoma Christian School, is being recruited by the Cowboys and Sooners.

Few points before half: Oklahoma led Oklahoma State 26-17 at halftime Wednesday. The 17 points were a season-low in a half for the Cowboys - six less than their previous low of 23 against Texas. However, the low scoring was nothing new to the Sooners. Wednesday’s game was the seventh of the season involving OU when a team scored 18 or less points in a half. The Sooners held Coppin State to nine, Texas Tech to 12, Texas A&M, SMU, Samford and OSU to 17 and Tulsa to 18. Seventeen points in a half is also OU’s season low, which came in a win over Texas A&M on Jan.14.

Bedlam brew: OSU’s students were up to the Bedlam task of taunting, with much of their attention directed in signs toward Sampson in reference to the recent NCAA investigation into improper phone calls to recruits. The best: “Calvin Samsung”
“Kelvin, It’s For You,” next to a drawing of a cell phone.
A few fans behind the basket near the Sooners bench even shook inflatable cell phones.

GDC
2/9/2006, 09:11 AM
OU Notebook: Everett out front
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
2/9/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

For the second time in 11 days, Oklahoma guard Terrell Everett played inspired basketball when the Sooners had to have it.

Everett scored 23 points, on 7-of-10 field-goal and 9-of-10 free-throw shooting, to go along with five rebounds, five assists and just two turnovers in 34 minutes. It was his best game since his 25-point outburst in OU's 82-72 victory over Texas.

Oklahoma State had hoped to contain Everett with defensive ace Marcus Dove. And while Dove made it tough in the first half, Everett still found his way to eight points -- off an offensive rebound, a steal and layup, a double pump through the lane, and a buzzer-beating drive off the glass when he took advantage of a matchup against JamesOn Curry.

The second half found Everett icing the game by controlling OU's offense and sinking all nine of his free throws.

Something else -- it was Everett who spent a good deal of Wednesday night chasing Curry all over the floor defensively. And while Curry wound up with 20 points, many came during the Cowboys' late desperate charge.

The numbers are in: Remember the Sooners' second-half meltdown at Kansas Sunday, when they made two of their last 16 shots in losing a 16-point lead? Wednesday night, they kept attacking

and made 14 of their 20 second-half shots for a 70-percent clip.

They sealed the game with 22-of-31 free-throw shooting, a 36-16 advantage in points in the paint, and a 33-28 rebounding edge.

Sign of the times: You had to know the Gallagher-Iba Arena fans wouldn't let Kelvin Sampson off easy for the NCAA investigation into the Sooners' phone call rules violations.

Sure enough, several signs popped up from the student section Wednesday night. Among the most clever referred to the OU coach as "Calvin Samsung."

RPI update: The latest Ratings Percentage Index standings according to the NCAA show the Sooners in pretty good shape. Through their loss at Kansas Sunday, OU is No. 19, up from their previous ranking of No. 27. Assuming the RPI carries its usual weight with the NCAA tournament selection committee, the Sooners are on course toward a solid seed.

The only Big 12 team with a higher RPI is Texas, at No. 8. The rest of the league has work to do -- Colorado follows OU at No. 48, with Kansas at No. 52 and Iowa State at No. 55. OSU is No. 82..

Newbomb Turk
2/9/2006, 09:24 AM
Those last two paragraphs sound like he's throwing the players under the bus to me. Like he has no control whatsoever about what they do on the court, please. :rolleyes:

I don't see where he's pointing fingers at the players at all. He says "we" in both paragraphs.

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2006, 10:37 AM
Not only that, but it looks like he was more talking about the officiating than the players in the second-to-last.

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 11:07 AM
Not only that, but it looks like he was more talking about the officiating than the players in the second-to-last.

I think he was saying they didn't get to the foul line because they weren't being aggressive enough. But they were running his stand at the top of the key and dribble for 30 seconds offense which doesn't really breed aggressiveness.

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2006, 11:08 AM
Which is where we're going to disagree as to what we saw. I saw us trying to get the ball down low and out players getting mugged in the paint.

oumartin
2/9/2006, 11:10 AM
I'm here and I darn sure don't agree with the way he coaches alot of the games. But thats okay. They won and thats important. I still think his coaching philosophy costs them wins and will do so again in the tournament.
I'm not a hater but I don't agree with him.

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 11:15 AM
Which is where we're going to disagree as to what we saw. I saw us trying to get the ball down low and out players getting mugged in the paint.

Sure, there was some of that, which is apparently normal on the road, but Gray was getting sodomized the entire game resulting in numerous missed shots and turnovers but few calls. It looked to me like the philosophy completely shifted once we got up by 15 and thought the game was over.

Socrefbek
2/9/2006, 11:31 AM
I'm here and I darn sure don't agree with the way he coaches alot of the games. But thats okay. They won and thats important. I still think his coaching philosophy costs them wins and will do so again in the tournament.
I'm not a hater but I don't agree with him.

I like Kelvin but I think he and his staff are deficient in their ability to coach good offense and/or counter the opposing teams defensive adjustments. It results in repetitive scoring droughts in the second half that result in close down to the wire wins in games that should be blowouts or losses in games they should win.

I also wonder if they do a good job of scouting and adequately preparing for their opponents in the NCAA tournament. The majority of OU's tourney appearances in the NCAA tourney have resulted in losses the first weekend against teams that on paper they should have won against. If you are more talented top to bottom than the other team then it gets down to game plan and coaching.

Kelvin's teams play good tough defense and that keeps them competitive but he does not seem to get the total package out of his team and thus they do not regularly challenge the Duke, Syracuse, North Carolina type programs in the Sweet 16 and beyond of the NCAA tournament.

NormanPride
2/9/2006, 11:57 AM
Last night, Griffin > Gray.

And I don't know why people hound Kelvin's coaching after a night like last night... The mistakes that we made were mental errors that Sampson got all over the players for making. The offense we got was mostly due to coaching adjustments. How many times did we just throw the ball the length of the court to get an easy layup? Granted, that's not ALL Sampson, but you know he's the one that clued the players in to the opportunity.

I thought he and the players did a good job last night of managing the clock and getting to the line. He called good timeouts to calm the players down when OState put the press on, and he switched to man out of the zone when they started heating up from behind the arc.

oumartin
2/9/2006, 12:03 PM
He called good timeouts to calm the players down when OState put the press on

Where was this on Sunday?

NormanPride
2/9/2006, 12:06 PM
I didn't get to watch the Kansas debacle, so I don't know. Didn't someone say he used all his timeouts early trying to coach the team how not to screw up? Some games he just has to do that. I swear we have the biggest bunch of idiot-savants on this team. Brilliant play followed by dribbling the ball off their foot...

NickZeppelin
2/9/2006, 12:14 PM
NP yep he used all of his timeouts with 3 minutes to go I believe.

SoonerObsession
2/9/2006, 12:59 PM
I think the biggest difference between last night and the game against Kansas, was the officiating. Gray was getting clobbered against Kansas and nothing was called.

badger
2/9/2006, 01:00 PM
sooooo... another Griffin brother being recruited at the game, eh?

Is THIS why Kelvin played Griffin so much, or was it the fact that Taj Gray had an off night... coincidentally, the same night both schools are recruiting younger Griffin.

OSU students need to learn how to taunt. I suppose being so broke that you have to sleep in tents made them a bit weary before the game. Certainly understandable.

...but really, I'm curious about the Griffin thing. Do you think that the move to play Griffin more had something to do with his parents being there? I'm sure that if Taj played at the end, he would have had similar stats to froshie Griffin, with OSU fouling left and right.

NickZeppelin
2/9/2006, 01:01 PM
Griffin is really good and deserved to play a lot. Blake will come in and play some as a freshman too.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/9/2006, 01:43 PM
should have been "can you hear me now, Eddie".

Griffin played as much as he did because last night he was more effective than Gray. Gray had fould trouble limit his play and then when he came back in the game he had an A.D.D. moment when he had the inbounds violation. Griffin earned every second on the floor that he got.

John Kochtoston
2/9/2006, 03:03 PM
sooooo... another Griffin brother being recruited at the game, eh?

Is THIS why Kelvin played Griffin so much, or was it the fact that Taj Gray had an off night... coincidentally, the same night both schools are recruiting younger Griffin.

OSU students need to learn how to taunt. I suppose being so broke that you have to sleep in tents made them a bit weary before the game. Certainly understandable.

...but really, I'm curious about the Griffin thing. Do you think that the move to play Griffin more had something to do with his parents being there? I'm sure that if Taj played at the end, he would have had similar stats to froshie Griffin, with OSU fouling left and right.

Agree with what Rock Hard Says on this issue. Taylor was simply better, at least last night. Besides, I hear it's 70/40 between OU and UCLA for Griffin the Younger. Dean Blevins' hair stylist told my cousin at 31 Flavors last night.

stoopified
2/9/2006, 03:30 PM
Which is where we're going to disagree as to what we saw. I saw us trying to get the ball down low and out players getting mugged in the paint.Exactly Froze .Kelvin has run an open 1-4 set at the end of games before when he has attacing style guards (Brewer,Nolan Johnson,Everett come to mind).The idea being to run a little clock,penetrate for easy baskets or easy dishes figuring at worst you will create fouls and go to the line.It works if the refs don't swallow their whistles and their gonads.See KU and OSU games for the differing examples .

Beany's comment is an example of seeing or reading what you want to see in a given situation.Harry how can you be a Sooner Fan and be neutral about KS or any OU coach?Are you Swiss(neutral) or French( too lazy to care)?

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2006, 03:35 PM
Exactly Froze .Kelvin has run an open 1-4 set at the end of games before when he has attacing style guards (Brewer,Nolan Johnson,Everett come to mind).The idea being to run a little clock,penetrate for easy baskets or easy dishes figuring at worst you will create fouls and go to the line.It works if the refs don't swallow their whistles and their gonads.See KU and OSU games for the differing examples.

I've got no problems running the clock out sometime after 5 or so minutes are left in the game, not 10. And the officiating argument is kind of weak. Like I mentioned before, Gray was getting raped all game long, but we were still kicking their *** 3/4's of the way through.

Beany's comment is an example of seeing or reading what you want to see in a given situation.Harry how can you be a Sooner Fan and be neutral about KS or any OU coach?Are you Swiss(neutral) or French( too lazy to care)?

:rolleyes:

Cam
2/9/2006, 07:53 PM
That's what it sounds like to me as well.

Didn't get to see much of last nights game, so can't really comment on it.

stoopified
2/11/2006, 05:24 PM
That's what it sounds like to me as well.

Didn't get to see much of last nights game, so can't really comment on it.Suffice it to say we GOT obvious calls in STOOLWATER of all places that we did not get in THE PHOG.

As stated earlier IMHO the refs swallowed their whistles as well as their gonads in the last 5 minutes (in Lawrence).Most troubling of course the obvious contact on Neal on the last shot.Oh well what is in the past....still sucks.