PDA

View Full Version : Gave blood today

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2006, 11:48 PM
And I did fine until they took the needle out then I got really lightheaded and clammy. I almost passed out. I felt a little puny before they started but I thought it was nerves. Anyone else have this problem?

usmc-sooner
2/8/2006, 11:52 PM
they should have fed you some sweets after I'm sure they did

don't look when they put the needle in or take it out.

It doesn't bother me but the USMC made sure I was adept at being a human pin cushion.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2006, 11:58 PM
I ate some nutter butters and drank some sprite. they made me lay there about 20 minutes.

Tailwind
2/8/2006, 11:58 PM
So are you ok now? Surely they gave you some juice and cookies or something.

picasso
2/8/2006, 11:59 PM
did you chug a beer when you got home? you can get drunk faster you know?

Tailwind
2/9/2006, 12:01 AM
Mmmmmm........nutterbutters.

Widescreen
2/9/2006, 12:27 AM
I gave on Friday. I got a t-shirt, a bottle of OJ and some snackwell cookies. Oh, and for the first time ever, I blacked out when I stood up. I didn't faint but my vision went completely black for about 3 seconds and I got woozy. Maybe they're doing something different this year. :confused:

salth2o
2/9/2006, 01:03 AM
I have tried to give blood a couple of times...they never let me! Something about recent tattoos etc.

proud gonzo
2/9/2006, 01:40 AM
i can't give blood. but i've been over that before...

i almost passed out when they jammed a needle through my finger to numb it before burning a wart off and creating a gigantic bloody crater (we've been over THAT before as well)

i'm just not a big fan of needles.

Octavian
2/9/2006, 01:58 AM
...before burning a wart off and creating a gigantic bloody crater...

ehh...TMI.

Jimminy Crimson
2/9/2006, 02:21 AM
I like feeling the needle in my vein.

I should do drugs or something. Any suggestions? :mack: ;)

Okla-homey
2/9/2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks for giving blood! I've given gallons over my lifetime and never had any problems -- most recently just a couple weeks ago.

Here's the dealio, sometimes, some people react to the procedure by subconsciously "working themselves up" and can have physical manifestations. It's nothing serious and the "swoon" can be avoided by simply recognizing you feel a bit wierd and lying down until the feeling passes -- which it will rather quickly.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-syncope/AN00103

AlbqSooner
2/9/2006, 06:19 AM
That feeling is called syncope. Homey is probably correct that it is a psychological thing, but it can also happen when you feel sudden pain. Once when i gave blood it happened to me as they removed the needle and placed an overly saturated alcohol swab over the sight. The burn of the alcohol sent me into a spin.

Okla-homey
2/9/2006, 06:45 AM
That feeling is called syncope. Homey is probably correct that it is a psychological thing, but it can also happen when you feel sudden pain. Once when i gave blood it happened to me as they removed the needle and placed an overly saturated alcohol swab over the sight. The burn of the alcohol sent me into a spin.

The way a doc explained it to me once when I asked him why a guy keeled over in a shot line when I was in flight school was this:

He explained that the we have a "fight-or-flight" response hard-wired into our noodles when it comes to dealing with unpleasant circumstances or pain. Sometimes, when folks can't fight the unpleasantness or run away, their body takes over and decides to "check-out" for a while in order to block the unpleasantness. Wacky, but that's the way the Good Lord made us.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2006, 08:46 AM
I'm better than I used to be about needles. Used to I would nearly pass out when I even gave a blood sample. I would get all clammy and hyperventilate. Surprisingly, I have been fine giving blood once I finally decided to do it.

Mjcpr
2/9/2006, 08:48 AM
Clammy chicks rawk.

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2006, 08:59 AM
And I did fine until they took the needle out then I got really lightheaded and clammy. I almost passed out. I felt a little puny before they started but I thought it was nerves. Anyone else have this problem?
As a senior in high school I gave blood and had the same problem.

I felt fine, but they noticed I was pale. They laid my head down and elevated my feet. After they pulled the needle I told them they better get a bucket. The girl that was holding pressure on the stick wound was standing opposite the arm she was holding so her arm was across my body. That arm parted my projectile vomit like Moses and enabled me to hit a maximum number of people.

I was fine before that. Now needles bug me a lot.

oh........my problem was that nobody told me to eat a good meal prior. I had 6 chocolate doughnuts. My sugar count was through the roof.

Okla-homey
2/9/2006, 09:05 AM
I'm better than I used to be about needles. Used to I would nearly pass out when I even gave a blood sample. I would get all clammy and hyperventilate. Surprisingly, I have been fine giving blood once I finally decided to do it.

So, you are going to do it again right?

Cuz your peeps need your Crimson!

Yay SBSB!

picasso
2/9/2006, 09:29 AM
if you're a dude, you're not supposed to donate if you've had relations with a man since '79. just sayin.

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2006, 09:31 AM
if you're a dude, you're not supposed to donate if you've had relations with a man since '79. just sayin.
Did they embarass you?;)

LilSooner
2/9/2006, 09:41 AM
Every time I try to give they always tell me that my iron is too low. Last time I went with my friend we both started at the same time and by the time they got enough blood out of my finger to check to see if I could give blood my friend was already done. Then they told me I couldn't give blood, but I got a "I tried" sticker. Damndest thing I have ever seen.

OklahomaTrombone
2/9/2006, 10:03 AM

So Howzit/DC/Stanley/CVS are out.

proud gonzo
2/9/2006, 02:35 PM
ehh...TMI.
nah, that's not TMI. TMI is the PICTURE (http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3194/dsc000054pl.jpg) of the bloody crater.

OhU1
2/9/2006, 02:47 PM
I gave Tuesday at the Oklahoma Blood Institute in Lawton. I didn't know it before I went in but they were giving away free vouchers for Hornet tickets! The voucher is for March 23rd (Houston) or March 31 (Memphis). They gave me 2 Hornet t-shirts as well and an entry for a car give away. I(and free cookies!

Contact the Oklahoma Blood Institute and see if they are still giving away the free tickets.

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 02:59 PM
nah, that's not TMI. TMI is the PICTURE (http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3194/dsc000054pl.jpg) of the bloody crater.

herpes is no laughing matter ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2006, 03:00 PM
I gave Tuesday at the Oklahoma Blood Institute in Lawton. I didn't know it before I went in but they were giving away free vouchers for Hornet tickets! The voucher is for March 23rd (Houston) or March 31 (Memphis). They gave me 2 Hornet t-shirts as well and an entry for a car give away. I(and free cookies!

Contact the Oklahoma Blood Institute and see if they are still giving away the free tickets.They are but you have to go to an OBI to donate to get them.

Oldnslo
2/9/2006, 03:03 PM
I don't swoon when I give blood, but yesterday, I blew my nose and got dizzy. Spins, baby.

The end.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/9/2006, 03:04 PM

Contact the Oklahoma Blood Institute and see if they are still giving away the free tickets.Let me know if you can't go!

OhU1
2/9/2006, 06:57 PM
Let me know if you can't go!

I would, but I am planning to use the voucher now that I have it. I have never been to an NBA game but now that we have an NBA team in Oklahoma and I have a free ticket in my pocket this is the time!

I never gave a rat's *** about the NBA beyond a very casual level. To my surprise I've become a fan of the Hornets. Having a team in Oklahoma - a team that apparently wants and needs our support makes a difference to me. I'm looking forward to seeing a live game.

silverwheels
2/9/2006, 07:35 PM
I don't understand the fear of needles and giving blood. If I didn't have HIV I'd give blood as often as possible.