PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett

The VIIIth
2/8/2006, 09:04 PM
http://michigan.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=29816

Ryan Mallett, on everybodys AA list but an impressive Sooner QB target for 2007. He hails from Texarkana. That's at least two good looking prospects coming out of Texas this year. JG Kinne is the other.

I look at it as two more blue chip QB's that have the opportunity to add themselves to the long list of QB recruiting failures for the horns the past three years.

The VIIIth
2/8/2006, 09:05 PM
"The 6-6, 235-pound Mallett was a Michigan summer camper this past June and was throwing with such velocity that receivers were coming off the field with shredded gloves, seriously. That type of talent does not come along very often and Michigan made sure he knew the opportunity to play in Ann Arbor was available to him."

Impressive statement from a Michigan board.

AustinTXHorn
2/8/2006, 09:23 PM
I look at it as two more blue chip QB's that have the opportunity to add themselves to the long list of QB recruiting failures for the horns the past three years.
Jevan Snead?

Honestly, I'll be shocked if Mallett doesn't wind up at Michigan or Texas. He loves Michigan early and Texarkana a huge pipeline for us.

I'll also be surprised if Kinne doesn't go to Baylor. They just hired his dad and it's hard to see him saying no to his dad.

The VIIIth
2/8/2006, 10:08 PM
You elude the Greg Davis factor in Malletts decision process, surely you don't really believe y'all were left at the altar by all those 5 star QB's with fancy last names just because Young was starting.

If Kinne's Dad hadn't been a great LB at Baylor, I'd argue the point. How could you not play for your Dad.

Then again, what Father would ask you to play at Baylor.

One non rhetorical question...

So, you think Chris Simms little brother will consider the Horns?

AustinTXHorn
2/8/2006, 10:10 PM
Most recruits say they loved Greg Davis. He doesn't hurt recruiting.

And Texas isn't going after Matt Simms and Matt Simms isn't looking at Texas.

Big Red Ron
2/9/2006, 12:03 AM

And Texas isn't going after Matt Simms and Matt Simms isn't looking at Texas.Tommie Harris or D. Stait either. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/10/2006, 12:20 PM
You elude the Greg Davis factor in Malletts decision process, surely you don't really believe y'all were left at the altar by all those 5 star QB's with fancy last names just because Young was starting.
Greg Davis developed Applewhite, Simms, Mock and VY. Simms and VY will be in the NFL next season, Applewhite could've caught on with a team had he wanted to (instead he's a very young OC in Div 1-A) and Mock is playing pro ball in the Arena league. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Yes, none of those QBs wanted to sit behind VY.

Herr Scholz
2/10/2006, 12:22 PM
Tommie Harris or D. Stait either. ;)
Roy Miller and James Henry liked us. ;)

Widescreen
2/10/2006, 12:32 PM
The players love him too because the playbook has the word "freelance" on every page.

Herr Scholz
2/10/2006, 12:44 PM
The players love him too because the playbook has the word "freelance" on every page.
Is that how VY threw for 3,000 yards this season? He only ran for 1,000 BTW.

Desert Sapper
2/10/2006, 01:11 PM
Matt Simms isn't looking at Texas.

I don't blame him. His brother had great talent (a tribute to his ability to start for the Buccaneers after a lackluster college career), but Davis and Mack squandered it. If I were Matt Simms, I'd stay away from Austin, too.

The Consumate Showman
2/10/2006, 01:14 PM
"The 6-6, 235-pound Mallett was a Michigan summer camper this past June and was throwing with such velocity that receivers were coming off the field with shredded gloves, seriously. That type of talent does not come along very often and Michigan made sure he knew the opportunity to play in Ann Arbor was available to him."

Impressive statement from a Michigan board.

Behind Henne????

He would have a year or two to sit at Michigan just like he would if he came to OU......

Wicked last name though.......:cool:

The Consumate Showman
2/10/2006, 01:21 PM
Is that how VY threw for 3,000 yards this season? He only ran for 1,000 BTW.

sh!t happens........

prepare for another 30+ year wait.......maybe by then you guys will do the classy thing again and hire Rhett Bomar as your head coach just like Royal, and then you can name the new practice field Bomar Training Facility......:mack:

Herr Scholz
2/10/2006, 03:57 PM
prepare for another 30+ year wait.......maybe by then you guys will do the classy thing again and hire Rhett Bomar as your head coach just like Royal, and then you can name the new practice field Bomar Training Facility......:mack:
I'll pass your request on to the athletic department.

The VIIIth
2/12/2006, 07:43 PM
Roy Miller and James Henry liked us. ;)

Jeremy Beal and Adron Tennell didn't. You do know texas threw the kitchen sink at Beal during the dead period? Mack figured out that his 6'2" 245 frame made an average prospect at DE but a potential star at MLB, where Coach Venables wants him.

Venables made the class move and went directly to the UT staph rather than the enforcers to report their transgressions.

And Tennell...a cOUsin of Michael Huff no less. Tch tch tch...

"Don't Fence Me In":texan:

AustinTXHorn
2/13/2006, 03:44 AM
Jeremy Beal and Adron Tennell didn't. You do know texas threw the kitchen sink at Beal during the dead period? Mack figured out that his 6'2" 245 frame made an average prospect at DE but a potential star at MLB, where Coach Venables wants him.

Venables made the class move and went directly to the UT staph rather than the enforcers to report their transgressions.

And Tennell...a cOUsin of Michael Huff no less. Tch tch tch...

"Don't Fence Me In":texan:
Texas never offered Tennell....

NormanPride
2/13/2006, 11:04 AM
Texas never offered Tennell....

Stupid AND inept, huh?

....But we already knew this. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 11:08 AM
Stupid AND inept, huh?

....But we already knew this. ;)
Tennell didn't have Texas listed in his top 7. That leads me to believe we didn't offer him. If I'm not mistaken, he has grade issues which Mack avoids like the plague these days. You're telling me that he had TCU and SMU listed in his top 7, but that Texas offered and he didn't have them even listed?

http://texas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=27779

The Consumate Showman
2/13/2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Herr Scholz]If I'm not mistaken, he has grade issues which Mack avoids like the plague these days.[QUOTE]

Is this due to Ricky "Jamaican-Me-Puff-Puff" Williams? ;)

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Herr Scholz]If I'm not mistaken, he has grade issues which Mack avoids like the plague these days.[QUOTE]

Is this due to Ricky "Jamaican-Me-Puff-Puff" Williams? ;)
Actually, we lost a bunch of players from the '01 and '02 classes to grades. If there are grade issues at all now, Mack tries to stay away.

Ricky never graduated but he was always eligbile. He didn't become a head case until he left. ;)

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 12:03 PM
You're telling me that he had TCU and SMU listed in his top 7, but that Texas offered and he didn't have them even listed?

Maybe his cousin let him in on the real deal about the whorns and it scared him. ;) It may be the grades, because I'm sure nobody that saxet recruited this year had any qualification issues. :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 12:17 PM
Maybe his cousin let him in on the real deal about the whorns and it scared him. ;) It may be the grades, because I'm sure nobody that saxet recruited this year had any qualification issues. :rolleyes:
From what I heard, it was grades. The kid can obviously play. What's your explanation for us not recruiting him? We got a great WR class regardless.

And all of our recruits have qualified at this point save one.

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 12:26 PM
What's your explanation for us not recruiting him?

Maybe you did and he didn't want any of it. Maybe he said Tuck Fexas just like countless recruits through the years have (I don't need to name them all - that would be wayyyyy too many All-Americans to name here). Maybe, just maybe, Mack's "family" atmosphere doesn't make him comfortable.

Could be Texas was scared of recruiting him because of the reasons you mentioned. I just don't think so.

He is from Dallas (Irving, whatever) after all and Dallas is at least half OUrs every year.

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 12:50 PM
You could be right. He may just not have liked Austin or Texas. No big deal. He's at a great football program. I'm sure he'll do well.

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 02:07 PM
You could be right. He may just not have liked Austin or Texas. No big deal. He's at a great football program. I'm sure he'll do well.

When did you get so friendly?

caphorns
2/13/2006, 02:29 PM
If I'm not mistaken, he has grade issues which Mack avoids like the plague these days.

Two words Herr . . . Chykie and Brown. Put them together and I think you'll get what I'm saying. Not to mention that J. Charles had grade "issues" before he pulled a 3.0 this year.

Desert Sapper
2/13/2006, 02:36 PM
Two words Herr . . . Chykie and Brown. Put them together and I think you'll get what I'm saying. Not to mention that J. Charles had grade "issues" before he pulled a 3.0 this year.

So this is the first year saxet didn't go after academically questionable recruits? Interesting...

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 02:51 PM
When did you get so friendly?
The national title helped. ;)

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, Chykie's the only one out of this class that I've heard about not qualifying yet. I'm just comparing the last few classes with the Edorian McCullough class (and before) where several were academic casualties. Mack's been trying to limit the losses and if that means skipping on a few kids that he feels might not make it, so be it.

GDC
2/13/2006, 03:54 PM
I love it when whorns herd up here to discuss UT subjects amongst themselves. Thank god for N:texan:T.

The Consumate Showman
2/13/2006, 04:13 PM
So.......back to the thread, anybody got any pics of this Mallet kid? Is he white or black, muscular or Tommy Gradyish? At 6'6" he ought to be a specimen........

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 04:19 PM
So.......back to the thread, anybody got any pics of this Mallet kid? Is he white or black, muscular or Tommy Gradyish? At 6'6" he ought to be a specimen........
He's a pro-style QB. Supposedly has a cannon. Big white kid. 6'6", 230.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/RYANMALLETT11_8150.JPG

http://michigan.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=29816

Herr Scholz
2/13/2006, 05:08 PM
I love it when whorns herd up here to discuss UT subjects amongst themselves. Thank god for N:texan:T.
This thread was started by a Sooner.

Big Red Ron
2/13/2006, 05:23 PM
What's your explanation for us not recruiting him? http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/image.php?u=44143&dateline=1139784952

The Consumate Showman
2/13/2006, 06:51 PM
I would like to have this Mallet kid for his name alone. I love that.

Desert Sapper
2/14/2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.berkley7.freeserve.co.uk/clipart/Mallet.jpg