PDA

View Full Version : any fans of rap music out there?

soonerbrat
2/8/2006, 06:09 PM
my cousin got a new iPod Nano and she is completely computer illiterate, so I offered to put some music on it for her. she only wants rap and hip hop because she's gonna use it for working out.

any suggestions? i don't listen to that stuff.

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry, but "muhfugga, muhfuggah, bitch yo ho, suck my dick while I pop a cap in yo fat *** ho muhfuggah, muhfuggah bling-bling ghetto sound yo" is not good workout music.

I'm just sayin'.

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 06:13 PM
I'm guessing since you don't listen to it that you don't know if she listens to good rap or bad rap (yes, there is good rap). I'll just throw these names out there...

A Tribe Called Quest
Chamillionaire
2pac
Dr. Dre
Eminem (Slim Shady LP or Marshall Mathers LP)
The Roots
Jurassic 5
Saigon
Nas
Mobb Deep

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 06:14 PM
Um, Stan?

Dole?

soonerbrat
2/8/2006, 06:15 PM
she made me a list of stuff she wants

da brat
lil kim
d12 breal
nbridaz

etc. anything similar to that?

and dean..i'm with ya on this

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 06:16 PM
I weep for the youth of America... And I'm one of them. What does that make me?

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2006, 06:17 PM
yes, there is good rap
silverwheels: warning
Next offense will be 2 day banning.

Octavian
2/8/2006, 06:17 PM
I weep for the youth of America... And I'm one of them. What does that make me?

a self-loather ;)

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 06:18 PM
silverwheels: warning
Next offense will be 2 day banning.

:(

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 06:18 PM
You should have seen the look on one of my kid's face the other day. We were driving down Highway 9, and I open the box between the front seats in my wife's 4-Runner. There's about 4-5 homemade CDs that had magic markered titles. One I remember was "Ballah's Mix." Anyhow, I stick the first CD in and it literally starts with "****, ****, stand up......." or some such garbage. So, I roll down the window, eject the CD, and frisbee it out on Highway 9. My kid freaks and goes "that ain't my CD!" I said "I know." I then stuck the rest of them one-by-one into the player. As soon as the whole "****, ****, muhfuggah" started up I'd eject it and toss it.

So, if you're into that kind of horsedung, you may find some really good CD's on Highway 9 between 72nd and 120th.

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2006, 06:20 PM
You should have seen the look on one of my kid's face the other day. We were driving down Highway 9, and I open the box between the front seats in my wife's 4-Runner. There's about 4-5 homemade CDs that had magic markered titles. One I remember was "Ballah's Mix." Anyhow, I stick the first CD in and it literally starts with "****, ****, stand up......." or some such garbage. So, I roll down the window, eject the CD, and frisbee it out on Highway 9. My kid freaks and goes "that ain't my CD!" I said "I know." I then stuck the rest of them one-by-one into the player. As soon as the whole "****, ****, muhfuggah" started up I'd eject it and toss it.

So, if you're into that kind of horsedung, you may find some really good CD's on Highway 9 between 72nd and 120th.

Normally, I'm not much for litter, but this is freaking AWESOME!

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 06:21 PM
I never thought I'd have to stand up for rap music, as it is probably the genre I like the least out of all the music I listen to, but rap is a lot more than just "****, ****, muthafugga." Only white kids listen to that kind of rap.

Seriously, listen to A Tribe Called Quest or The Roots.

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:21 PM
sadly it doesn't even sound like she likes good rap ;)

i like a lot of Jay-Z and Biggie, and the Beastie Boys, some Dr. Dre and Snoop, never really cared for Tupac

picasso
2/8/2006, 06:22 PM
too short, awww yeah.....

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:23 PM
I never thought I'd have to stand up for rap music, as it is probably the genre I like the least out of all the music I listen to, but rap is a lot more than just "****, ****, muthafugga." Only white kids listen to that kind of rap.

Seriously, listen to A Tribe Called Quest or The Roots.

i can vouch for that, actually

Mos Def isn't bad, but his stuff isn't really my thing

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 06:23 PM
Activate the :dolemite: signal!

dolemitesooner
2/8/2006, 06:24 PM
Rakim
nas
wu tang
mos def
Talib Kwlei
Jay- z
Tech 9
and many many more you need some let me know

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 06:25 PM

I listened to him back in high school. :)

I like Nelly, but I'm sure he's no longer popular.

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:26 PM
i kinda liked Nelly's early stuff, like Country Grammar, but the newer overproduced crap is lame

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:27 PM
and for the record, like SW, Rap isn't really my thing, i listen to more Country at the moment than Rap i think

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 06:30 PM
i kinda liked Nelly's early stuff, like Country Grammar, but the newer overproduced crap is lame

I have one CD of his and I have no idea what the name of it is. Cedric the Entertainer is on a couple songs though if that helps. :)

GottaHavePride
Actually, I'd tend to go with dolemite's list. Mos Def has earned some major respect from me - very intelligent dude, and doesn't rely on shocking the listeners with endless profanity.

NormanPride
Rap thread = obligatory link to this. (http://sexy-results.blogspot.com/2005/07/school-spiritms.html)

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:32 PM
I have one CD of his and I have no idea what the name of it is. Cedric the Entertainer is on a couple songs though if that helps. :)

yeah, i don't have any of his albums

Melo
2/8/2006, 06:33 PM
Eminem is about the only rap I will listen to. I'm just not crazy about the genre.

Instead of some rap, put some good classical music on there. People under the age of 30 all need to listen to more classical music.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:36 PM
Eminem is about the only rap I will listen to. I'm just not crazy about the genre.

Instead of some rap, put some good classical music on there. People under the age of 30 all need to listen to more classical music.

Richard Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie

Just passed the Summit Theme. 8 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 trombones, 4 tenor tubas, and 2 tubas knocking walls over. Good stuff.

yermom

Instead of some rap, put some good classic rock on there. People under the age of 30 all need to listen to more classic rock.

yeah, lots of Zeppelin

silverwheels
yeah, lots of Zeppelin

What he said.

Melo
2/8/2006, 06:38 PM
Richard Strauss - Eine Alpensinfonie

Just passed the Summit Theme. 8 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 trombones, 4 tenor tubas, and 2 tubas knocking walls over. Good stuff.

I just finished listening to the Rondo mvt of the Mozart clarinet concerto. :) I love Mozart.

Stanley1
2/8/2006, 06:40 PM

The Bitch's Pimp

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 06:41 PM
How the ever living **** did this thread get to classical music? I haven't been in the SO long enough, I guess.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:43 PM
Danny Elfman was ripping off Strauss's "Death and Transfiguration" when he wrote the music for "Batman".

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2006, 06:45 PM
I haven't listened to classical in many years, but all of it is 1 billion times better than any rap song.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:45 PM
Charles Ives invented "sampling".

;)

soonerbrat
2/8/2006, 06:46 PM
classical? classic rock?

yeah right. she'd flip out.

mdklatt
i listen to more Country at the moment than Rap i think

Long-haired hippy who drives a Subaru and listens to country music--I think I'm more confused than you obviously are.

:D

Stanley1
I'm not saying the below list doesn't have a place in rap, but I doubt she'd like any of it. She probably wants the more commercialized stuff.

Dr. Dre
Jay Z
2 Pac
Young Jeezy
Nelly
Eminem
Three 6 Mafia

And

MIKE JONES

Rakim
nas
wu tang
mos def
Talib Kwlei
Tech 9
and many many more you need some let me know

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 06:48 PM
classical? classic rock?

If all she listens to is rap, then she has terrible taste in music.

And MIKE JONES is horrible.

Also, I would have said OutKast, but they've become more pop than rap...

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 06:49 PM
People under the age of 30 all need to listen to more classical music.

Whew, I'm 32. Turn up the White Zombie, baby.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not saying the below list doesn't have a place in rap, but I doubt she'd like any of it. She probably wants the more commercialized stuff.

Dr. Dre
Jay Z
2 Pac
Young Jeezy
Nelly
Eminem
Three 6 Mafia

And

MIKE JONES

That's why I'd say throw the Mos Def on there - rap you need a dictionary to follow. the dude rhymes some big freaking words.

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:50 PM
Long-haired hippy who drives a Subaru and listens to country music--I think I'm more confused than you obviously are.

i don't listen to a lot of country, but i just kinda discovered Johnny Cash

mostly it's 90's Seattle grunge, Zeppelin and White Stripes

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 06:51 PM
So, I guess it's been settled then. Your little relative has **** for taste in music. Do her a favor and just tell her to load her own crap.

yermom

Melo

Wow... youre old. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:52 PM
Crank some funky soul on there. Start with George Clinton and work your way over to Earth, Wind, and Fire. ;)

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:53 PM
my cousin got a new iPod Nano and she is completely computer illiterate, so I offered to put some music on it for her. she only wants rap and hip hop because she's gonna use it for working out.

Oh, and come to think of it, I second Dean's opinion - if she can't figure out how to load songs on an iPod she's in trouble.

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 06:54 PM
iTunes basically does all of the work itself. All she has to do is rip CDs or buy albums from the iTunes store (not pirate music, because that's illegal and morally wrong ;) ) into a music folder, and iTunes will find them and put them into its library. Then she can make a playlist from there and it'll update.

Octavian
classical? classic rock?

You should help her out and introduce her to some new stuff. How about some good mellow wuss rock?

Coldplay
The Shins
Counting Crows
Death Cab

Its more jogging-type music but you might give it a try

yermom
Oh, and come to think of it, I second Dean's opinion - if she can't figure out how to load songs on an iPod she's in trouble.

i hope George Clinton made some serious cash off of The Chronic... his **** is ALL OVER that album

it was basically theft, i was listening to some of his stuff, and i already knew all the songs between Dre and Snoop

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 06:55 PM
Wow... youre old. ;)

Old enough to be your...youngest uncle.

yermom
2/8/2006, 06:57 PM
Old enough to be your...lecherous uncle.

:eek:

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 06:57 PM

Careful there dude. I don't know how to load songs on an ipod.:O

Beano let me borrow one a few weeks ago and I have to admit I've used the headphones to plug into my laptop to listen to CDs, but I haven't even tried the whole ipod thingie.

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 06:59 PM
i don't listen to a lot of country, but i just kinda discovered Johnny Cash

I like the Old School country okay, just not the wussified Garth Brooks/Faith Hill yodelling-style pop country.

(But Faith Hill is smokin' hot.)

yermom
2/8/2006, 07:00 PM

Beano let me borrow one a few weeks ago and I have to admit I've used the headphones to plug into my laptop to listen to CDs, but I haven't even tried the whole ipod thingie.

the new video ones are pretty effing sweet

i want one bad :(

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 07:02 PM

Maybe not, but I bet you could figure it out after about 5 minutes of messing around with one. Or 30 seconds of reading instructions. ;)

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 07:02 PM
Uh, I'm an alpha-male. I don't read directions. I write them.....

Stanley1
2/8/2006, 07:04 PM
So, I guess it's been settled then. Your little relative has **** for taste in music. Do her a favor and just tell her to load her own crap.

So what exactly should we be listening to?

I absolutely HATE it when people say "you have no taste in music". Just b/c I like rap, and it "entertains" me, doesn't mean I think its as "artistic" as another form of music that may or may not entertain me.

silverwheels
2/8/2006, 07:06 PM
Stan, you have no taste in music. ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 07:07 PM
32 is old?

sigh.....

Stanley1
2/8/2006, 07:08 PM
Stan, you have no taste in music. ;)

Up. Yours. :D

Melo
2/8/2006, 07:09 PM
32 is old?

sigh.....

:rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 07:11 PM
you said "wow, you're old"

i'm 42......what am i? ancient?

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2006, 07:24 PM

Brat should fill it up with nothing but Milli Vanilli.

Melo
2/8/2006, 07:24 PM
you said "wow, you're old"

i'm 42......what am i? ancient?

So tell me... did you have a pet dinosaur when you were growing up? ;)

I'm kidding. About people being old.

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 07:28 PM
I'm kidding.

You shouldn't be. He's old enough to be your father. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 07:31 PM

i do have a 20 year old son... :)

Melo
2/8/2006, 07:31 PM

JK = 2nd dad

Melo
2/8/2006, 07:32 PM
i do have a 20 year old son... :)

This I know. ;)

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 07:45 PM
Back in my day we used Magellan, and Google didn't even exist. And we liked it!

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2006, 07:47 PM

The only time I'm a fan of rap music is when it gets turned off.

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2006, 07:51 PM

Now this I occassionally listen to . . . :D

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2006, 07:52 PM
Crank some funky soul on there. Start with George Clinton and work your way over to Earth, Wind, and Fire. ;)

exactly . . . .

GDC
2/8/2006, 08:33 PM
http://covers.cdbaby.com/s/c/screwdj2.jpg

sanantoniosooner
2/8/2006, 08:52 PM
Didn't feel like reading the whole thread.

Just wanted to point out that rap sucks in case no one else mentioned it.

GDC
2/8/2006, 08:59 PM
Didn't feel like reading the whole thread.

Just wanted to point out that rap sucks in case no one else mentioned it.

It's not my first choice in music either, but it's not my thing to bag on other people's tastes, unless burnt orange is involved.

sanantoniosooner
2/8/2006, 09:10 PM
It's not my first choice in music either, but it's not my thing to bag on other people's tastes, unless burnt orange is involved.
It's OK to like rap.

It sucks though.

Rhino
2/9/2006, 12:04 AM
The Roots
A Tribe Called Quest
Jurassic 5
MC Chris
Run DMC
Beastie Boys

GottaHavePride
2/9/2006, 12:09 AM
MC PeePants

GDC
2/9/2006, 08:52 AM
NWA
Public Enemy
Jay-Z
Beastie Boys

Fish
2/9/2006, 10:19 AM
old school...

Whodini
SugarHill Gang
Fat Boys
Kool Moe Dee
Rob Base
Kid'N Play
A Tribe Called Quest
Sir Mix-a-lot

Octavian
2/9/2006, 10:26 AM
Kid'N Play

wow...

well, its beats Milli Vanilli ;)

yermom
2/9/2006, 10:30 AM
This movie is gonna make House Party look like House Party 2

Tear Down This Wall
2/9/2006, 11:20 AM
Go with N2Deep's "Back To The Hotel", the Getto Boys "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster" and Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five's "The Message." Big Bank Hank would agree.

yermom
2/9/2006, 11:25 AM
and now, a message from the president...

i always liked My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me by those guys

Tear Down This Wall
2/9/2006, 11:37 AM
Geto Boys...sorry for the misspelling. I always thought Grand Master Flash's "The Message" was the ghetto anthem of the 80s and Geto Boys' "Mind Playing Trick On Me" was the ghetto anthem of the 90s. Both reflect the tough everyday existence of inner city living.

BillyBall
2/9/2006, 11:38 AM
A Tribe Called Quest
Mos Def
Common
Talib Kweli
The Roots
Jay-Z (especially his unplugged album)
Outkast (up till Aquemini)
Biggie
Wu-Tang Clan

sanantoniosooner
2/9/2006, 11:40 AM
Geto Boys...sorry for the misspelling.
this is rap.

you can't misspell anything.

aks anybody.

Tear Down This Wall
2/9/2006, 11:41 AM
Can I ax you a quershtion?

yermom
2/9/2006, 11:43 AM
A Tribe Called Quest
Mos Def
Common
Talib Kweli
The Roots
Biggie
Wu-Tang Clan

i really like the Grey Album better than the Black Album

Fish
2/9/2006, 12:09 PM
Oh forgot about Luke Skywalker and the 2 live crew

DCSooner
2/9/2006, 12:23 PM
Big Daddy Kane
The D.O.C. or anyone from NWA
Tribe
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers

Scott D
2/9/2006, 03:29 PM
A Tribe Called Quest
Mos Def
Common
Talib Kweli
The Roots
Biggie
Wu-Tang Clan

add Nas, Phaeroh Monch, Brother Ali, Jeru the Damaja, Dead Prez, Ras Kass, and older Slum Village

Melo, Marshall Mathers is crap...and you'd be better served listening to Esham.

Dean, your view on this is always amusing since we like some of the same music, (quality blues) not everyone is the current flavor of the genre...and it's part of the reason that I have so much hate for the RIAA.

For those who like classical, there's a person in my friends list on myspace who for the past few years has incorporated classically trained musicians in on his work, including performing live with an orchestra backing in the past.

Oh and Stanley, Mike Jones is exactly what is wrong with the industry...well Mike Jones and those Brokeback Mountainers G-Unit.

Oh, and the Nelly CD that you guys were talking about earlier was Country Grammar.

yermom
2/9/2006, 03:52 PM
Oh, and the Nelly CD that you guys were talking about earlier was Country Grammar.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1191122&postcount=19 ;)

Brokeback Mountaners, heh

Gay-Unit

BillyBall
2/9/2006, 04:02 PM
i really like the Grey Album better than the Black Album

Ditto... Especially "What More Can I Say", "December 4th", and "Public Service Announcement". I would have never thought that you could loop The Beatles and Jay and end up with quality, I was wrong.

n8v_ndn
2/9/2006, 04:18 PM
Cracka *** crackas...

NWA
Ice Cube
Ice-T
Paris
Geto Boys
Public Enemy
5th Ward Boyz
DJ Quik

boomersooner28
2/9/2006, 04:18 PM

That reminds me of a story from high school. I worked at a local restaurant and the owners wife thought she could sing. I always saw these casette tapes for sale with her picture on them, but I never saw anybody buy one. One night I was rather curious to what she sounded like...I asked the boss man if she was any good (BIG mistake). He told me to take one...so I did. I listened to it on the way home and laughed SO FRIGGIN HARD ALL THE WAY HOME. I did not destroy the tape though. The next day, after school, I was driving through downtown with my best friend in the passenger seat. Without a warning, I reached down and placed that damn tape into the tape player in my car. My best friend listened for about 20 seconds, it took all I had not to start busting up laughing, I remained serious. He didn't say one damn word, as he slowly reached down, ejected the tape, and sent it flying across the pavement of downtown. I have never laughed so hard in my life.

Scott D
2/9/2006, 04:23 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1191122&postcount=19 ;)

Brokeback Mountaners, heh

Gay-Unit

yeah I was referring more to the question of the one with the interspiced bits of Cedric the Entertainer on it :)

yermom
2/9/2006, 04:25 PM
heh, ok

i really just wanted to say "Gay-Unit"

what ever happened to Burn-Unit? :D

Scott D
2/9/2006, 04:28 PM
probably stuck in litigation, I know that Mathers threatened a lawsuit against him once for one of his parodies, I wouldn't be surprized if Curtis 'The Snitch' Jackson did so as well.

GDC
2/16/2006, 10:59 AM
Cypress Hill

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2006, 11:03 AM
Cypress Hill
Richard Cheese - Insane in the Membrane.

PURE GOLD