PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to eat a beer and then watch part of the game tonight in Norma

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2006, 04:35 PM
n but won't be too crowded that has a good selection of beers?

Thanks In Advance.

1stTimeCaller
2/8/2006, 04:36 PM
Library

soonerscuba
2/8/2006, 04:37 PM
Hmm, Coach's.

IronSooner
2/8/2006, 04:37 PM
Vista? I don't know how chewy their beers are though. But they have Shiner.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2006, 04:41 PM
Library or Vista or Champions

If you want to venture a bit north, you can go to Buffalo Wild Wings

GDC
2/8/2006, 04:44 PM
Do they have Saison Dupont?

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/spring_snow_blog/1185885.jpg

Penguin
2/8/2006, 04:48 PM
Try the Rosenhayn Tavern.

Only 2.8 miles forom downtown Norma, NJ.

Norm In Norman
2/8/2006, 04:50 PM
What's the Library like inside? I've only sat out on the patio. I don't recall a TV being there.

mdklatt
2/8/2006, 04:51 PM
What's a library like inside?

Lots and lots of books.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 04:52 PM
Meh, the inside of the Library has 2 smallish tvs and is really smoky. I like the Library, but not for game-watching. I'd try either The Vista, Champion's, Al's, or Louie's (campus corner or west).

Penguin
2/8/2006, 04:54 PM
Stay at home. The paparazzi has been crazy today.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2006, 04:54 PM
What's the Library like inside? I've only sat out on the patio. I don't recall a TV being there.I watched the 04 texass-osux football game from the Library with Petro. They have a few smaller TVs behind the bar.

IronSooner
2/8/2006, 04:56 PM
Last time I was at the Library it was good for waitress watching but not necessarily game watching. It was smoky and the booths aren't the most comfortable it seems like.

Rhino
2/8/2006, 05:04 PM
The Vista - If you want lots of TVs to watch all the games on tonight; cheap Shiner Bock
O'Connell's - If you want atmosphere, but limited TV angles; cheap beer.
Louie's / Champion's / Coach's

In that order.

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 05:06 PM
Dear Normanites: How come nobody likes Al's place?

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 05:18 PM

I don't mind Al's place. Pretty good tv placement, always one tap beer on special for cheap, and the waitresses are at least moderately cute. I think the biggest knock is that the food isn't anything special and that it's kind of trendy right now, so it tends to be crowded.

Boomer.....
2/8/2006, 05:42 PM
I don't think that the "trendy" crowd would be there tonight. It's usually only on the weekends. That is when it gets really crowded. The weekdays are not bad.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 05:46 PM
texadelphia?

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 05:48 PM
Texadelphia isn't bad. What is wednesday, 23 oz. tap beer for $3? That's the only one of theirs that I remember.

C&CDean
2/8/2006, 06:00 PM
texadelphia?

You are dead to Rhino now. But on the upside, Boarder will love you.

TUSooner
2/8/2006, 06:02 PM
Who's Norma? And won't she be offended if you are eating and watching a game while... oh, uhhhh .... n/m :O :O

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2006, 06:04 PM
I always forget about Texadelphia other than for eating. It's really close and it reminds me of my other home.

They have really great chips and queso too. Plus a few interesting beers on Tap.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 06:07 PM
i just know they have a huge tv in there, good beer, its not too big of a place and the food is "ok"....its a quick bite to eat when the boys and i are looking for something other than "johnnies"

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 06:08 PM
The only thing I liked Texadelphia for was the queso and waffle fries. That was awesome. Everything else was bad, IMO...

Personally, the vista is my favorite, but I imagine the competition for the tables showing our game will be high. Al's would be the best bet as far as booth vs. TV placement.

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2006, 06:14 PM
i just know they have a huge tv in there, good beer, its not too big of a place and the food is "ok"....its a quick bite to eat when the boys and i are looking for something other than "johnnies"

Why did you enquoten the word, "ok"?

That's weird. Is it not really ok?

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:20 PM
The only thing I liked Texadelphia for was the queso and waffle fries. That was awesome. Everything else was bad, IMO...

http://www.youhavebadtasteinsammiches.com/

;)

Octavian
2/8/2006, 06:26 PM
What's the Library like inside? I've only sat out on the patio. I don't recall a TV being there.

You can only see the game if you're sitting at the bar.

Its a more of a hippie college kid hang-out.

Dio
2/8/2006, 06:28 PM
19 replies before somebody asked "Who's Norma?" I am really disappointed in the quality of everybody's work here today, and I expect to see great improvement tomorrow.

Octavian
2/8/2006, 06:29 PM

Great setup but not into the bling-bling and you cant ever get a drink if its busy. Tonight it would probably be pretty good though.

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 06:34 PM

;)

Sorry, I have issues with the menu when everything requires a trip to the little boy's room 30 minutes later...

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 06:38 PM
Sorry, I have issues with the menu when everything requires a trip to the little boy's room 30 minutes later...

Heh. It's never done that to me.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 06:44 PM
Why did you enquoten the word, "ok"?

That's weird. Is it not really ok?

no, it just means that the food isnt 'out of this world'...its not bad, i like it....but if your'e going there "just" for the food, then you might look elsewhere

its a sandwich.......sorta hard to screw that up! :)

Norm In Norman
2/8/2006, 08:51 PM
Ok, so let's all meet at Texadelphia's in 10 minutes. OK?

Rhino
2/8/2006, 11:39 PM
No. :mad:

okienole3
2/9/2006, 12:14 AM
I don't mind Al's place. Pretty good tv placement, always one tap beer on special for cheap, and the waitresses are at least moderately cute. I think the biggest knock is that the food isn't anything special and that it's kind of trendy right now, so it tends to be crowded.

that beer is Keystone. Yes, the food is terrible.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2006, 12:24 AM
It's a little late, but here you go:
Vista- if you're a 40ish barfly. That place sucks
O'Connells- if you're a fratboy or you're 21 and have no idea that there are other bars in town
Joe's- if you're an alcoholic
Bill and Dee's- if you're cool
Brothers- if you like to pay too much for beer
The Mont- if your lady friend is the boss and she wants to make you spend some money
The Deli- if you're really cool
The RedDirt- if you're really cool
Texadelphia- not a bar
The Library- if you're one of those north oval, artsy types.
Al's- if you're a ******. it's insulting that they think that they can slap the name of a sub-par local radio personality on a sub-par restaraunt and expect people to show up.
Louie's- see Al's
Henry Hudson's- if you're an alcoholic
Mr. Bills- if you don't mind hanging out in a room full of 18 year old from the dorms who just want to say they went to a bar. Acceptable in the summer only.

Did I miss any?

GottaHavePride
2/9/2006, 12:42 AM
Champions

GottaHavePride
2/9/2006, 12:43 AM
The Library- if you're one of those north oval, artsy types.

Mainly because us north oval artsy types are too lazy to walk farther than across the street. :D

salth2o
2/9/2006, 01:01 AM
Wish I was in Norman.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2006, 07:26 AM
Mainly because us north oval artsy types are too lazy to walk farther than across the street. :D
Don't get me wrong: Happy Hour on the patio is a thing of greatness. Can't beat half price microbrews.

Sooner in Tampa
2/9/2006, 07:36 AM
;)Dude...your link is no worky :D

jk the sooner fan
2/9/2006, 07:38 AM
so where did beano end up going?

Norm In Norman
2/9/2006, 10:20 AM
I went to Texedelphia and I didn't see one of you idiots. What's the deal?

jk the sooner fan
2/9/2006, 10:21 AM
i'm not in norman, otherwise i would have joined you for beer, basketball and chips/queso

GottaHavePride
2/9/2006, 11:07 AM
Sorry, I was watching the game at home and re-writing my resume to gear it towards a specific job.

handcrafted
2/9/2006, 11:28 AM
Sightlines for game watching, gotta put Champions and Al's in first place. Because Champions food is much better, they win. Coach's has the best food but the TV placement could be so much better, unless you're sitting smack in front of the bigscreen, and it's working. :)

The Vista has much to commend it generally. Good, cheap food, real Shiner on tap. But the TVs are all smaller and they're all against one wall, so there's lots of bad seats in the place. And, it tends to be smoky. Places I have avoided since I graduated: Brothers (overpriced and kind of a dive now), O'Connels (see "Brothers"), Mont (gone way downhill IMO).

The Library, though smoky at times, has that "pub atmosphere" with the excellent beer selection, and they serve the Coaches microbrews half-price during happy hour. Not so good for game watching, but good for generally relaxing.

okienole3
2/9/2006, 11:30 AM
Bill and Dee's. Really? I have never been there. Have you? You might as well have added "The Other Place" to the list.

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 11:33 AM
Bill and Dee's. Really? I have never been there. Have you? You might as well have added "The Other Place" to the list.

I know for a fact that Andy has played a few games of shuffle board at Bill & Dee's.

That place is awesome.

okienole3
2/9/2006, 11:35 AM
I know for a fact that Andy has played a few games of shuffle board at Bill & Dee's.

That place is awesome.

Is Bill & Dee's the one that is connected to the barber shop, or is that further down main? I am impressed. I have always wanted to check it out. How about Ole Blues?

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 11:38 AM
Is Bill & Dee's the one that is connected to the barber shop, or is that further down main? I am impressed. I have always wanted to check it out. How about Ole Blues?

yep, Bill & Dee's is connected to Mickey's barber shop. Mickey is a pretty good barber too. He used to cut my hair. Never been to Ole Blues, is that the metal building near..... main & berry?.

I've been to the Blue Door or something like that on Main also. It's a pretty cool dive bar.

Rhino
2/9/2006, 11:44 AM
Bill & Dee's rules and they always have $1 Miller High Lifes.

It's just about five doors east of Crawford Street on the north side of Main Street.

King Crimson
2/9/2006, 11:47 AM
Bill and Dees used to be H&H Pool and Dominoes--inna day. where there were old guys playing (you guessed it) pool and dominoes.

Beef
2/9/2006, 11:48 AM
Bill & Dee's rules and they always have $1 Miller High Lifes.
God Bless the Champagne of Beers.

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 11:48 AM
Rhino, I'm thinking that maybe Bill & Dee's isn't connected to Mickeys now. It's been a few years. I think it was a snooker & domino parlor that was connected to Mickey's.

*edit* damn, I'm confused now.

OUAndy1807
2/9/2006, 12:19 PM
if you go to bill and dee's make sure to take cash. Also, they have an awesome late night menu. Basically, they'll order a pizza for you.

1stTimeCaller
2/9/2006, 12:20 PM
they gots chips and peanuts too!!!

King Crimson
2/9/2006, 12:59 PM
sounds kinda like the pricing strategies at H&H. basically, you helped yourself to beer out of the cooler and then they counted the number of empties on the table and charged you accordingly.

soonerbrat
2/9/2006, 01:43 PM
I went to Texedelphia and I didn't see one of you idiots. What's the deal?

i was at the hornets game :D

okienole3
2/9/2006, 02:55 PM
There are two bars that are right close by. I always forget which is which. Ole Blues is a metal building on Flood in between Main and Robinson. It is right next to Blues 2.