PDA

View Full Version : worlds fastest image processor

Ike
2/8/2006, 04:26 PM
I like posting these because I like thinking that I am keeping you f'in hillbillies at least a little informed about some of the cool things coming down the pike in cutting edge science.

anyway, this article deals with an experiment that will be very much like the one I am working on (and one I could very well be working on after graduation), except that their machine hasn't turned on yet, and when it does it will pretty much blow ours out of the water.

anyway, this is about just one little piece of this experiment, a subsystem of what is known as the trigger system that tells you if an 'event' is interesting enough to record. anyway, this particular subsystem has to examine many millions of 'channels' in each event (which will occur once ever 25 nanoseconds), and be part of a decision making process that must occur at unthinkable speeds. This article is calling it The worlds fastest image processor (http://www.news.wisc.edu/12105.html), which I suppose is an apt enough name for it.

OUstudent4life
2/8/2006, 04:37 PM
Should be good for horse races, then, huh?

:D

Cool article.

Ike
2/8/2006, 04:47 PM
heh. I liked one of the comments from /.

it essentially went: what do ya wanna bet the first picture it takes is of some grad students ***

SoonerWood
2/8/2006, 04:59 PM
I didn't realize Ana Gasteyer's twin sister was a physicist

crawfish
2/8/2006, 05:11 PM
You wanna see fast, you should see PG with her stealth camera. :eek:

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 05:17 PM
heh. I liked one of the comments from /.

it essentially went: what do ya wanna bet the first picture it takes is of some grad students ***

I thought this thing had to decide what was important enough to record? It'll probably just wait around for pr0n.