PDA

View Full Version : The New MNF Announcing Team

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 10:44 AM
Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser? Horrid.

Also, I read that James Brown is moving from Fox to CBS to do the pre-game show.
ESPN names new MNF team

Monday Night Football will have a new broadcast team when it debuts on ESPN in 2006.

Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will be part of a three-man booth calling the games on Monday nights next season and Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters. Kolber and Tafoya both reported from the sidelines for ABC during Super Bowl XL. "I'm just thrilled to be the next person to take the greatest franchise in television sports history forward," Tirico said on ESPN Radio Wednesday morning.

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

"This Monday Night Football team enthusiastically embraces our vision for sports television's signature series. We will propel MNF into a 21st century, all-day, exclusive, multi-media event that will engage fans in entirely new ways. This team will develop great chemistry," ESPN Executive Vice President John Skipper said.

"Mike Breen is widely respected for his depth of NBA knowledge and his consummate play-by-play skill. We are very excited to provide such a spectacular forum as the NBA Finals to showcase his talents."

In addition, Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon will take Pardon The Interruption on the road on Mondays during the football season. The shows will air from the site of ESPN's Monday Night Football games.

"We look to the future with great enthusiasm and a strong commitment to enhance the presentation of the NFL and the NBA, two of our most important sports properties," ESPN and ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer said.

Al Michaels, the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football on ABC from 1986 through Sunday's Super Bowl in Detroit, will not return to either broadcast.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

Fugue
2/8/2006, 10:48 AM
I think they tried to pick the worst combination of morans. Is there some kind of announcer point shaving scandal? It's like they are throwing the booth.

Sooner in Tampa
2/8/2006, 10:49 AM
I read about JB leaving the Fox team also. Word has it that Terry will move into his seat...no real lean yet on who will be the new fourth.

And Kornheiser? WTF? He is horrible :mad: he is a dickhead.

Oldnslo
2/8/2006, 10:49 AM
I like Tirico. Plus, I'm kind of tired of Al.

Maybe won't succ.

critical_phil
2/8/2006, 10:53 AM
Theismann is a ******.

IronSooner
2/8/2006, 10:57 AM
I like Tirico. I can deal with Theisman I guess. Kolber and Tafoya are fine. But Kornheiser? Please.

Rhino
2/8/2006, 10:57 AM
I've never understood having more than two people in the booth.

Oldnslo
2/8/2006, 10:59 AM
BRING BACK COSELL!

fadada1
2/8/2006, 10:59 AM
i'd be happier with the chicks calling the game. put rachel nichols in there for good measure, and you've got a winner.

put these asshats on the sidelines to check up on injuries.

Sooner04
2/8/2006, 12:17 PM
I'm going to miss the Mike Patrick, Theismann and Maguire team. A LOT.

This team isn't too bad. It could be much worse.

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2006, 12:24 PM
I've always thought Tirico was an overdramatic goober. Theismann is alright, but I don't have a clue what Kornheiser is supposed to add.

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 12:28 PM
I agree with most of you in that the real head scratcher is Kornhole. WTF? When did he become a color analyst? It smacks of the Dennis Miller hire to some extent.

That and I don't care for Theismann.

I liked Michaels and I liked Patrick.

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2006, 12:38 PM
Mike Patrick and Al Michaels would've been a good combo. Tirico is tolerable at best. Kornheiser is annoying.

picasso
2/8/2006, 01:02 PM
I like Tirico.
constantly uses big words out of context. ole Mr. Redundant himself.

Widescreen
2/8/2006, 01:37 PM
Does anyone remember back in the late 70's when they broadcast an NFL game with no commentary or play-by-play at all? That was actually kind of nice.

AustinTXHorn
2/8/2006, 02:02 PM
I like Tirico. He could make a televised game of chess sound exciting.

What the heck is Kornheiser going to do though? That's a bad idea.

Best man for the job would have been Ron Franklin, easily. But I guess he won't do pro sports.

BeetDigger
2/8/2006, 03:59 PM
I've never understood having more than two people in the booth.

You didn't have much fun in college, did you? :D

BeetDigger
2/8/2006, 04:02 PM
I like Tirico. I can deal with Theisman I guess. Kolber and Tafoya are fine. But Kornheiser? Please.

Mmmmmm, Suzy Kolber. Is she really a lesbian or is that just a nasty rumor that I heard? If she is, what a waste (what a waist!). I'd like to try to get her to switch to our team.

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 04:03 PM
You need to watch her in HD, I guess.

OU-HSV
2/8/2006, 05:22 PM
Effin Kornheiser??..that's absurd. Just when you think MNF couldn't get any worse.

TUSooner
2/8/2006, 06:07 PM
Tirico is a very good play-by play guy. Theisman can be a pain. I know nothing about Kornheiser. I liked Paul Maguire on Sunday nights, in fact, Maguire and Patrick were a good offset to Theisman.

BudSooner
2/8/2006, 06:27 PM
It was kind of cool having Madden in the booth, aside from his usual odd insights.....

"Ya see that there Al, that's a sunset, just like those sunsets of old, you see how it is setting...not like they used to set, now if you watch here a sec, the sun is setting differently, not high, not low...you know...setting?"

On second thought, they could bring in Jim Rome and nobody would give a rats a**.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2006, 06:47 PM
tirico is ok.......theisman is awful, i simply cant stand the guy

i think we'll see Michael Irvin on the fox set next year.......

TUSooner
2/8/2006, 10:28 PM
...i think we'll see Michael Irvin on the fox set next year.......

2 words: mute button

:eek: :mad: :(

Sooner in Tampa
5/13/2011, 05:59 AM
That didn't work out so well now...did it?

Sooner98
5/13/2011, 08:00 AM
I really need to start looking at the date of the original post before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.imaginativeuniversal.com/blog/content/binary/WindowsLiveWriter/Whatkindofconsultantareyou_E0DF/jump_to_conclusions_guy_3.jpg