PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Career Change

Boomhauer
2/8/2006, 08:43 AM
Do any of you guys (gals) know how I can get into the Athletic Administration scene at the University/College level. What is the best way? I have found a website that offers a degree in Sports Management called Sports Management Worldwide. It is located at http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/index.asp I just don't trust websites and degree programs, I guess.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Education.

If you guys have any tips for me please tell me. I have come to a crossroads with my career (teaching) and feel like I need to take a different path.

Thanks guys!

Okla-homey
2/8/2006, 09:15 AM
Do any of you guys (gals) know how I can get into the Athletic Administration scene at the University/College level. What is the best way? I have found a website that offers a degree in Sports Management called Sports Management Worldwide. It is located at http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/index.asp I just don't trust websites and degree programs, I guess.

I currently have a Bachelor's degree in Education.

If you guys have any tips for me please tell me. I have come to a crossroads with my career (teaching) and feel like I need to take a different path.

Thanks guys!

IMHO, I'd try to get an entry-level job in that arena to get some experience, while pursuing a masters in it.

For example, I don't know if its been filled yet, but the Tulsa 66ers were looking for a general office manager as late as two weeks ago. Bachelors Degree highly desired.

Boomhauer
2/8/2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks Homey! I will look into it.

1stTimeCaller
2/8/2006, 09:19 AM
go talk to the local University about being a GA and working for free in the sport that you currently coach for HS. Or maybe ask if you can attend coaches meetings with them under the guise of being a better HS coach. Just get to know the folks. Get to know the coaches and once you get to know them ask about the AD situation. See if they have a need for an assistant NCAA compliance officer or other entry level AD job.

Boomhauer
2/8/2006, 09:24 AM
I found on the NCAA website that OU is accepting applications for a grad assistant in the "diversity council". I guess it is a 2 year course in which the first year would be spending six weeks in 4 different sports while the second year would be doing one sport all year. YOu would learn the basics of the athletic department through these sports. I have emailed for more information so hopefully they will respond.

Taxman71
2/8/2006, 10:06 AM
I had friends that got a sports management/administration degree at a school in Alabama (around Mobile). It was only 1 year, but was expensive. The school does a good job of job placement. I knew guys who worked for Titleist, Astros, Rangers and Jack Nicklaus.

Per conversations with AD and assistant ADs, about the only way to make it in a college athletic department is to pay your dues....i.e. - enthusiastic work for peanuts for several years. Learning the political game would be very helpful as well.

Boomhauer
2/8/2006, 10:39 AM
Even though it will be a struggle, financially, for a few years I am willing to do it. I used to think that teaching was pretty much easy work....not so much anymore!

Mjcpr
2/8/2006, 10:40 AM
Even though it will be a struggle, financially, for a few years I am willing to do it. I used to think that teaching was pretty much easy work....not so much anymore!

Maybe you could try this in the summer when you don't have to work for 3 months

;);););)

Boomhauer
2/8/2006, 11:07 AM
I could do that! I love me some 3 months off!