PDA

View Full Version : What will the 2006 starting roster be?

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2006, 09:43 PM
Here is what I think.

Offense:

QB - Rhett Bomar - So.
RB - Adrian Peterson - Jr.
FB - Matt Clapp - So.
WR - Paul Thompson - Sr
WR - Juaqin Iglesias - So.
WR - Malcom Kelly - So.
TE - Joe Jon Finley -Jr.
OL - Chris Messner - Sr.
OL - Branndon Braxton - So.
C - Jon Cooper - So.
OL - Sherrone Moore - Jr.
OL - Brandon Walker - So.

Defense:

DE - C.J. Ah You - Sr.
DT - Demarcus Granger - So.
DT - Carl Pendleton - Jr.
DE - Larry Birdine - Sr.
LB - Zach Latimer - Sr.
LB - Ryan Renolds - So.
LB - Rufus Alexander - Sr.
DB - Reggie Smith - So.
DB - Lewis Baker - Jr.
DB - D.J. Wolfe - Jr.
DB - Marcus Walker - Jr.

Special Teams:

K - Garrett Hartley - Jr.
P - Cody Freeby - Jr.
PR - Lendy Holmes - So.
KR - Allen Patrick - Jr. & Lendy Holmes - So.

NickZeppelin
2/7/2006, 09:52 PM
QB-Bomar
RB-AD
WRs-Doesn't matter we'll rotate about 5 or 6 guys.
TE-Finley...Gresham if he's healthy
OL Messner, Cooper then who knows?

DE-Ah You, Birdine, Thibs, Williams will be co starters really,
DT-Pendelton, Bennett, Granger, McCoy if he's healthy
WLB-Alexander
MLB-Latimer
SLB-Reynolds
CB-Walker(if he's ever healthy), Wolfe
FS-Williams
SS-Smith

Baker moved back to WLB

Collier11
2/7/2006, 09:56 PM
Here is what I think.

Offense:

QB - Rhett Bomar - So.
FB - Matt Clapp - So.
WR - Paul Thompson - Sr
WR - Malcom Kelly - So.
WR - Eric Huggins
WR - Manuel Johnson FIXED
TE - Joe Jon Finley -Jr.
OL - Chris Messner - Sr.
C - Jon Cooper - So.

Defense:

DE - C.J. Ah You - Sr.
DE - Larry Birdine - Sr.
LB - Zach Latimer - Sr.
LB - Ryan Renolds - So.
DB - Reggie Smith - So.
DB - Lewis Baker - Jr.
DB - D.J. Wolfe - Jr.
DB - Marcus Walker - Jr.

Special Teams:

P - Cody Freeby - Jr.
PR - Demarco Murray - So.
KR - Reggie Smith.

Just a few additions and the special teams was wrong

GDC
2/7/2006, 10:37 PM
Hopefully Patterson at lb.

BASSooner
2/7/2006, 10:58 PM
reggie smith is at corner now just in case anyone hasn't noticed...oh yeah it was on here not too long ago I think...

NickZeppelin
2/7/2006, 11:16 PM
I think if Walker is healthy Reggie won't be a backup corner. He'll be the SS. If Reggie has to move to corner then we are screwed at SS.

BASSooner
2/7/2006, 11:27 PM
I think if Walker is healthy Reggie won't be a backup corner. He'll be the SS. If Reggie has to move to corner then we are screwed at SS.
noooo I wouldn't say that. We are OVERloaded with safeties. Incerception machines(Nic Harris) and tackling machines(Keenan Clayton) and we have darien williams and jason carter plus with malcom williams coming in.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/8/2006, 12:55 AM
I would like to know what Paul Thompson did last year to deserve a starting spot at wide reciever ?

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2006, 01:31 AM
Just a few additions and the special teams was wrong

Thanks, but I was only going on the ones that can actually start the game...meaning 11 on offense.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2006, 01:35 AM
I would like to know what Paul Thompson did last year to deserve a starting spot at wide reciever ?

Not much, but they also had to save him more than use him since he was also the backup QB.

Now since we have a dependable backup QB, I wouldnt be surprised to see Thompson be named a starter at WR. The guy has the athletic ability. He will also be a WR and that is it. From now to spring ball starts, & until the fall, he will have a lot of time to work on what he needs to.

I think he will be one come fall!

Collier11
2/8/2006, 02:02 AM
Thanks, but I was only going on the ones that can actually start the game...meaning 11 on offense.

I know, I was just sayin about the recievers...plus I think if he busts his butt, murray will be our punt returner

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2006, 03:22 AM
I know, I was just sayin about the recievers...plus I think if he busts his butt, murray will be our punt returner

Maybe....Special Teams is a toss up every year unless you have a guy like Thatcher or Perkins.

BigCrimson32
2/8/2006, 03:39 AM
are u guys idiots?? how can you forget BIG DUKE ROBINSON???? u named all those offensive lineman and forgot a potential sooner OL great!!!! wow.. step it up internet guys... lol 6'6 360.. man... so far i'm dissapointed in this site.. i figured i'd see fellow sooner fans that are like me.. love the school, love the state, and most of all, love the team so much you'd die for it.. oh well maybe that's just me and those REAL fans that show up in norman etc.. get a life ppl

Doged
2/8/2006, 05:49 AM
I think Duke Robinson will start on the O-line.

Summarized quote, for all those who didn't wanna' wade through the garbage in the full post.

That's a good thought, and Robinson may well start. The OP doesn't think so, nor do I. I do think he'll see a lot of playing time, though, and I agree he's a talented kid with good size. He just needs to continue to develop. If he has a good spring he could work into a starting slot.

I also think Thibs will start at end, but like all the rest that's pure speculation at this point (which is kinda' the point of the whole thread, call me Capt. Obvious).

yermom
2/8/2006, 05:57 AM
i don't know about Thibs, but i'm not that worried

it will be nice to have some depth in the DL, i think a lot of QB's are going to be running for their lives again

Doged
2/8/2006, 06:01 AM
i don't know about Thibs, but i'm not that worried

it will be nice to have some depth in the DL, i think a lot of QB's are going to be running for their lives again

Yea, either way I agree with that. Really the depth is looking great on both lines and all across the defense. That and improved QB play (and a healthy AD) is what will set this Sooner team apart from last year's version.

David Earl
2/8/2006, 08:05 AM
Here is what I think.

Offense:
OL - Chris Messner - Sr.
C - Jon Cooper - So.

We will see multiple combinations tested in the spring. For the final group I'd put Moore at OT and Walker at guard. Other than that, I think you've got it nailed.

southern sooner
2/8/2006, 09:30 AM
Look for Pleasant an LB aas long as he is not in legal problems over the assult thing on his gf.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/8/2006, 09:41 AM
Lamont Robinson may get some time at LB. From what I remember he was highly recruited.

Also Lofton might play as well

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 10:24 AM
Lofton was really good as well as Reynolds. Robinson I think needed a couple years to get used to the speed, if I remember the reports correctly. The coaches really like him, though.

Also, Pleasant's thing with his gf was a bunch of bs. I thought it was all dropped since she was basically lying?

BASSooner
2/8/2006, 10:53 AM
are u guys idiots?? how can you forget BIG DUKE ROBINSON???? u named all those offensive lineman and forgot a potential sooner OL great!!!! wow.. step it up internet guys... lol 6'6 360.. man... so far i'm dissapointed in this site.. i figured i'd see fellow sooner fans that are like me.. love the school, love the state, and most of all, love the team so much you'd die for it.. oh well maybe that's just me and those REAL fans that show up in norman etc.. get a life ppl
Yeah I'm sure big duke robinson is really good but, JUCOs are a bigger priority than he is. The kid will be good though

The Consumate Showman
2/8/2006, 11:47 AM
The only problem I see with this discussion is the center position. We may have another true frosh. starting like we did with big Vince a few years ago. Cooper still has to rehab his leg and White is a BIG question mark at this point. If all three of these guys are healthy, I think our 3 centers have go to be the best around. Personally, I wouldn't mind Roark in there, but prefer Cooper. Anybody heard how Jon is doing????

shavedmarmoset
2/8/2006, 01:05 PM
PR - Lendy Holmes - So.
KR - Allen Patrick - Jr. & Lendy Holmes - So.

If Lendy is our return man I swear I'll start a protest.

soonerdave79
2/8/2006, 02:50 PM
No kidding. How many punts did Lendy drop last year? It may have only been like two but it seemed like 10.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2006, 04:29 PM

Has anyone called you an idiot yet?

NickZeppelin
2/8/2006, 04:34 PM
Who cares if Duke is 6-6 360? He still needs to show he can play OLine. We have 2 guys that showed last year they can play OLine Messner and Cooper. Outside of that who knows? They may all be busts.

BASSooner
2/8/2006, 04:53 PM
I wish our OL were like eric winston who is graduating from miami this year. That kid is so quick. He played tight end in high school and converted to OT. So much quickness and agility...and his blocking was extreme too

the_ouskull
2/9/2006, 01:25 PM
I don't want to get into the rosters, per se, but one thing that I was thinking is that we're likely going to run more one-back sets this year after losing a FB the caliber of JD Runnels. This will spread the field even more for Bomar or Peterson... I mean, if you give Peterson a 1-on-1 with a LB or DB, it's usually over, and if they're keying on Peterson with us in a Spread formation, then Bomar could pick up about 10 per carry. If there's a positive to losing JD, that is it.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
2/10/2006, 08:37 PM
I don't want to get into the rosters, per se, but one thing that I was thinking is that we're likely going to run more one-back sets this year after losing a FB the caliber of JD Runnels. This will spread the field even more for Bomar or Peterson... I mean, if you give Peterson a 1-on-1 with a LB or DB, it's usually over, and if they're keying on Peterson with us in a Spread formation, then Bomar could pick up about 10 per carry. If there's a positive to losing JD, that is it.

the_ouskull

I somewhat agree. However, I placed the FB in there just in case.

mikeb
2/10/2006, 11:15 PM

the_ouskull
I agree with ya.

Ban One Sooner
2/11/2006, 11:41 AM
Why didn't anyone list Akim Millington or Brandon Keith to start next year?

Sorry, dumb joke but couldn't resist. I just hope Patton can stop the gushing attrition on the O-line and develop quality depth, irregardless of who ends up starting.

Ban One Sooner
2/11/2006, 11:43 AM
Who cares if Duke is 6-6 360? He still needs to show he can play OLine. We have 2 guys that showed last year they can play OLine Messner and Cooper. Outside of that who knows? They may all be busts.

I agree that Cooper showed he can play O-line against quality D-lineman, when his leg's not broke in half.

jccouger
2/11/2006, 12:02 PM
I agree that Cooper showed he can play O-line against quality D-lineman, when his leg's not broke in half.

That was sorta, really uncalled for.

Anyway. As noted above I think we may start going back to our ninja type offense we had with heupal. Place a TE out there that can catch the ball, instead of having a FB out there. But then that may just lead us to be more predictable, because when we would have a FB out there everybody would know AD is gettign the ball.

Ban One Sooner
2/11/2006, 12:24 PM

That was sorta, really uncalled for.

Yeah, kind of, but I meant it in the context of, yes he played well, but with that type of major injury it's a question how much it will set him back and if he can even play again.

The whole thing about going back to a spread offense is how effective will AD be in that type of offense? AD is a great I type back, but he isn't close to as effective as he normally is when he is moving parallel to the line of scrimmage initially on those type of handoffs.

That said, you can still go 3-wide with one TE, or two TE's and 2 WR's and put him as a single back with Bomar under center, and as long as you keep him moving vertical to the line of scrimmage he will still rip people up, without a fullback in front of him. AD might even be more effective this way, as he didn't always follow Runnels and run off the blocks JD set up for him, which to me had more to do with youthfulness and impatience, which is certainly something that can be coached.

The whole key to this of course, is how afraid the defense is of Bomar and the WR's ability to shread them if they load the box down after down to stop AD. Next year, I think AD will find more open space than last year as Bomar and the WR's should take a gigantic step forward in this one year time frame.

goingoneight
2/11/2006, 04:52 PM
Thinking of team leaders, cuz my mind is kind of scrambled right now, I'm curious to see how an entire off-season of reps and development will do for AD and Bomar... That could be the (pardon for the comparison) Leinart/Bush-type of threat that really carries us...

goingoneight
2/11/2006, 04:54 PM
Let me rephrase, that could be like the Jason White/Adrian Peterson combo that saved our asses in season play in 2004.

goingoneight
2/11/2006, 05:01 PM
Yeah, kind of, but I meant it in the context of, yes he played well, but with that type of major injury it's a question how much it will set him back and if he can even play again.

The whole thing about going back to a spread offense is how effective will AD be in that type of offense? AD is a great I type back, but he isn't close to as effective as he normally is when he is moving parallel to the line of scrimmage initially on those type of handoffs.

That said, you can still go 3-wide with one TE, or two TE's and 2 WR's and put him as a single back with Bomar under center, and as long as you keep him moving vertical to the line of scrimmage he will still rip people up, without a fullback in front of him. AD might even be more effective this way, as he didn't always follow Runnels and run off the blocks JD set up for him, which to me had more to do with youthfulness and impatience, which is certainly something that can be coached.

The whole key to this of course, is how afraid the defense is of Bomar and the WR's ability to shread them if they load the box down after down to stop AD. Next year, I think AD will find more open space than last year as Bomar and the WR's should take a gigantic step forward in this one year time frame.

I agree totally about changing up the offensive strategy... When you look at it, how many BIG 12 teams could hang with the offense KW was running against Oregon? UO was damn good at stopping AD in the first half, but the play-action and roll-outs by Bomar was very effective in picking up first downs. Also, with Thompson on the field, you could see laterals or reverses like in the 2003 Okie Lite game...

the good old times... check this out--
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2470&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=11451&Q_SEASON=2002

click on Highlights 2003 vs OSU for play I mentioned...

NickZeppelin
2/11/2006, 05:47 PM
OU scored what 17 against Oregon? I think the line will determine the playcalling. If the line sucks we won't get good playcalling.

GottaHavePride
2/11/2006, 05:59 PM
I just hope Patton can stop the gushing attrition on the O-line and develop quality depth, irregardless of who ends up starting.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/15/2006, 04:35 PM
I'll play

Offense:

QB - Rhett Bomar - So.
WR - Malcom Kelly - So.
WR - Manual Johnson - So
TE - Joe Jon Finley -Jr.
OL - Chris Messner - Sr.
C - Jon Cooper - So. Depending on recovery
OL - Duke Robinson- Jr.
OL - Brandon Walker So or Sherrone Moore- Jr. I'll go with Moore on a coin toss

Clapp at FB in I-form will will probably be a minority of the time, no idea as far as 2nd TE in goal line, maybe Eldridge.

Defense:

DE - C.J. Ah You - Sr.
DE - Larry Birdine - Sr.
LB - Zach Latimer - Sr.
LB - Ryan Renolds - So.
DB - Reggie Smith - So.
DB - Lewis Baker - Jr.
DB - D.J. Wolfe - Jr.
DB - Marcus Walker - Jr.

All OU_Sooners 75 picks look good to me here, If Patterson somehow qualified I'd project him starting instead of Reynolds.

Special Teams:

P - Cody Freeby - Jr.
PR - Reggie Smith - So.
KR - Allen Patrick - Jr. & Reggie Smith So

Desert Sapper
2/15/2006, 10:55 PM
Men like to fight, and if they don't they're not real men.
If you don't like to fight, I don't want you around. You'd better get out before I kick you out.

I want to see that attitude, attrition be damned.