PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline's top 10 football/basketball schools

Jay C. Upchurch
2/7/2006, 07:17 PM
link...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9214127

IronSooner
2/7/2006, 07:24 PM
Hmm...I wouldn't say we're a perennial challenger for the final 4, but maybe the sweet 16. I certainly appreciate their vote of confidence however.

chriscappel
2/7/2006, 07:57 PM
#2 eh?? not too bad

crawfish
2/7/2006, 09:00 PM
#2 eh?? not too bad

Not to mention, we've been DOMINATING the #1 team in both sports for the past six years. :)

Ruuuuuufus
2/7/2006, 09:29 PM
They obviously made this list without realizing that we don't have Top Daug anymore :p Without Top Daug we won't even make the NIT, babies will cry, pigs will fly and Eddie Sutton will never retire (I swear.)

No but really if you factored in a top 10 women's basketball program we'd be right there at the top for the big 3 tv sports.

GDC
2/7/2006, 10:42 PM
Louisville #4?

Octavian
2/7/2006, 10:50 PM
#2 eh?? not too bad

so you're willing to settle for mediocrity? :rolleyes:

;)

suncoastsooner7
2/7/2006, 11:03 PM
Who would you have put at #4?

Ruuuuuufus
2/8/2006, 12:49 AM
West Virginia

chriscappel
2/8/2006, 12:53 AM
so you're willing to settle for mediocrity? :rolleyes:

;)

No I just didnt think we would be that high....dunno why...it just suprised me at first

AllAboutThe'O'
2/8/2006, 01:27 AM
I would like to see them add women's basketball and baseball to the mix and see who comes out on top. Using that logic, Texas would probably remain No. 1 because of its baseball program and its women's hoop team usually contends (not this year, though). OU would probably remain No. 2, but may give Texas a push depending on how far the Sooner women can go. Florida's probably third, because its baseball program played in the College World Series finals last year and the women's basketball team was ranked in the top 25. LSU may vault into the top five on the strength of its baseball and women's hoop programs.

Herr Scholz
2/8/2006, 10:16 AM
Not to mention, we've been DOMINATING the #1 team in both sports for the past six years. :)
You've won 3 in a row in basketball but I believe we won 5 in a row before that. Anyway, it's a snapshot. As the author wrote, "See if you agree with this group, based the latest accomplishments at each school..."

I doubt anyone could argue that Austin, Norman and Gainesville are the top 3 in this category, and the 3 are pretty interchangable. Texas gets the nod this year because of the Rose Bowl and the conference lead in basketball.

crawfish
2/8/2006, 10:28 AM
...but I believe we won 5 in a row before that.

And how many did OU win in a row before that streak? ;)

Herr Scholz
2/8/2006, 10:32 AM
And how many did OU win in a row before that streak? ;)
I believe 8 or so. ;) Damn that Najera...

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah?! What about the streak before that?! Wait... that would be your streak. I'm confused.

I'd put Michigan at #4. Or maybe a Pac-10 team, if I was an idiot.

soonervegas
2/8/2006, 11:07 AM
Not to get TOO emotional, but it is kind of cool to be that high on this list AND to have your bitter rival up there with you. Each program makes the other better.

#1 Can change from year to year based on what happens in October.

MikeInNorman
2/8/2006, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah?! What about the streak before that?! Wait... that would be your streak. I'm confused.

That's where it ends. :texan: never had a streak until the recent 5 in a row.

Herr Scholz
2/8/2006, 11:50 AM
We didn't have a real basketball program until Barnes got here.

NormanPride
2/8/2006, 11:52 AM

Sweeeet. For me, basketball didn't start until about '99 because I lived in south Texas and wasn't exposed to college ball at all.

GDC
2/8/2006, 01:24 PM
Sweeeet. For me, basketball didn't start until about '99 because I lived in south Texas and wasn't exposed to college ball at all.

College basketball started for me when Bird and Magic squared off in 79, and watching Tisdale in high school and then go to OU cemented it.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/9/2006, 03:55 PM

I'd put Michigan at #4. Or maybe a Pac-10 team, if I was an idiot.
A decade ago, Michigan would probably have been ranked as the top football/basketball school because of the success of the Fab Five. Hard to believe now, that Michigan hasn't made the NCAA basketball tourney since 1998, a streak that should come to an end this year. They've had some bad basketball teams in recent years.

stoopified
2/9/2006, 04:28 PM
We didn't have a real basketball program until Barnes got here.
Which is the main reason I question Ut being rated so high.OU has had their basketball program where it is at for the last 25 years(Tubbs-Sampson era),UT for 5-6 years.

Herr Scholz
2/9/2006, 04:34 PM
Which is the main reason I question Ut being rated so high.OU has had their basketball program where it is at for the last 25 years(Tubbs-Sampson era),UT for 5-6 years.
It's a snapshot of the past few years. He did qualify his rankings with this statement:

"See if you agree with this group, based the latest accomplishments at each school..."

You're correct that no one would argue that UT has been better than OU in basketball long term.