PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard suggestions?

Penguin
2/7/2006, 05:47 PM
My computer is totally messed up. I'm just going to start from scratch and build a new one.

I've been totally screwed over by getting a motherboard with sound and LAN built onto it. I'm not going to do that again.

So, I'm looking for a motherboard with no sound, LAN, or video built onto it. You might as well suggest a good CPU, too.

It's strange that I built this computer over 2 years ago and it's really not that obsolete. I remember a time when you bought a computer, it was obsolete before you plugged it in. Strange how things have levelled off.

yermom
2/7/2006, 06:16 PM
i like the built-in sound and Gbit ethernet

now video, that sucks

mdklatt
2/7/2006, 06:18 PM
now video, that sucks

Yes, built-in video is lame.

Penguin
2/7/2006, 07:31 PM
I have never been able to get the LAN and sound to work properly for long periods of time. I don't them at all on my new motherboard. I'll just install the cards of my own choosing.

BudSooner
2/7/2006, 07:34 PM
Are you wanting to go with an AMD or Pentium chip?
ASUS 90-M9L0L1-G0UAYZ Extended ATX Motherboard/VGA Set - Retail.

CPU Socket Type Socket 754
CPU Type Athlon 64/Sempron
FSB 800MHz Hyper Transport (1600MT/s)

Number of DDR Slots 3x 184pin DDR
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Maximum Memory Supported 3GB
No onboard video, but comes with this video card-

eatures ASUS EN6600/TD/128 Geforce 6600 128MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Core clock: 300MHz
D-SUB: 1
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 1
Memory Clock: 550MHz
Memory Interface: 128-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 1.5
PixelPipelines: 8
TV-Out: S-Video Out
VIVO: No

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131535#DetailSpecs

OUinFLA
2/7/2006, 07:41 PM
I built over 10 computers over the last 8 years, but I dont think so again.
I am very happy with an HP that I bought and only added a decent graphics card.
I can understand the onboard sound dissatisfaction, but I dont use mine much anyway. If I did, I would add that card, as the OB sound is a bit lame.

Over all, I am very satisfied with the HP, and phone tech service has been very quick and informative.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2006, 09:13 PM
I'm happy with my Gigabyte MB . . . it was like $100 on newegg.

So far this setup is working great for me:

Sound Card - Creative Sound Blaster Live
Video card - ATI Radeon 9200
AMD AthlonXP 3000
1.5 GB of RAM

BudSooner
2/7/2006, 09:30 PM
I've got a pc that I built 3yrs ago that ran like a dream back then(they always do when new)but now runs like a turd.
I'm giving serious thought to a new board like that one I suggested, along with a large enough hard drive that I don't go out needing a new one next year, and about a gig memory.
That of course if uncle Sam will turn loose of some of that tax money of mine soon.

Current Setup-
AMD Athlon 1.3(non XP)
ASUS 266 Front side bus, w/onboard Sound AC 97(disabled, now using Soundblaster AWE64 sound card), onboard Lan(which sucks)and video shared but disabled(using an old 8meg video card for now)and 512 meg PC 133 SDRAM.
Maxtor 80 gig HDD
Iomega Zip drive(that hardly ever was used)
Windows 98SE-I formatted the drive back awhile ago and could not find my copy of XP so I had to stick with 98SE.....gotta get a copy of XP.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2006, 09:46 PM
So you guys seriously don't like onboard LAN?

Can you tweak the settings of an ethernet card better or something?

Frozen Sooner
2/7/2006, 10:18 PM
I've always had good luck with ASUS motherboards. Never had a single problem with the onboard LAN on them, either.