PDA

View Full Version : Dishwashers!

oumartin
2/7/2006, 03:58 PM
Okay, so I thought dishwashers were suppose to dry your dishes as well.
Last two dishwashers I've had leave half the dishes still wet.

I know, I should kick her in the butt and tell her to be more careful but these are actual dishwashers I'm talking about here. the kind that run on electricty. oh wait. that doesn't help matters around here.

Jimminy Crimson
2/7/2006, 04:01 PM
Just a thought, but is the 'heated dry' (or similar) button pressed down? On some its an option.

oumartin
2/7/2006, 04:03 PM
yip.
it will dry the plates and such really well but pots and glasses not so much.

IronSooner
2/7/2006, 04:09 PM
I usually just leave stuff in there a day or so after running it and they usually come out dry. I have a couple tupperware-type bowls that are usually a little wet, so I just put them on a drying rack and that does it.

You should look into hiring some midgets or gnomes or something.

oumartin
2/7/2006, 04:11 PM
well, i've got two kids but can't seem to get them to work. yes, also the plastic bowls are the sheets to get dry.

Okla-homey
2/7/2006, 04:13 PM
Question: is it more environmentally responsible to use paper plates and cups made from recycled paper, then tossed, or ordinary dishware -- which must be washed using detergents and precious water?

Related question: Is it more environmentally responsible to hand wash dishes in the sink, or use the dishwasher?

...or should we just eat off the table top, rake the scraps into a bucket for the dogs and hogs, and then wipe it down after meals?

discuss.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 04:15 PM
Why is this any of your concern? Or are you just tired of hearing the Mrs complain about it?

:D

IronSooner
I guess you could try cracking the door of the dishwasher once it's done to get some air circulation in it. Dish rack would probably be easiest though.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/0c/d8/Sterilite_0634_Small_Ultra_Dish_Drainer-resized200.jpg

crawfish
*whew*.

I thought I was going to have to call my wife in here. :O

Beef
2/7/2006, 04:31 PM
I washed dishes at the Interurban for a while in college. I was cool like that.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/7/2006, 04:41 PM
Are you using a rinse agent. We were told that when we complained about our maytag d/w. BTW, Maytag washers and d/w succ, their no good. Our Neptune broke after 10 years we spent half what we paid for it in repairs...Tomorrow comes the Whirlpool Duet and buh-buy Neptunes...

oumartin
2/7/2006, 04:45 PM
My wife is not very clean. Therefore if i want something clean I am generally the one that does it. I guess I might try to crack the door a bit and let some air in there. Thats a good plan.

I've heard maytag has had some issues on alot of appliances as of late. This one was here when we bought the house. it is a ....................................crap, its a maytag.

mdklatt
2/7/2006, 06:03 PM
I washed dishes at the Interurban for a while in college. I was cool like that.

Drivers had to wash dishes at Godfather's when we weren't on a delivery. People are ******* disgusting, and powdered parmesan cheese should be outlawed. :mad:

IronSooner
2/7/2006, 06:12 PM
MMmm, Godfather's....

2/7/2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/movies/pics/robots1.jpg

A friend from church just had her Maytag dishwasher repaired by a Maytag repairman. He told her Kenmore is the best brand going for home appliances right now.

If THAT guy says it is so, I'm buying Kenmore.

Okla-homey
2/7/2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/movies/pics/robots1.jpg

A friend from church just had her Maytag dishwasher repaired by a Maytag repairman. He told her Kenmore is the best brand going for home appliances right now.

If THAT guy says it is so, I'm buying Kenmore.

Sadly, Maytags aren't all made in Newton IA anymore. Years ago, Maytag was THE gold standard in washers and dryers. In fact, we're still using the set we bought in 1983! It used to be company source of pride that they only made washers and dryers, and therefore did them better than anybody. Then Maytag began diversifying their product offerings by offerng dishwashers, garbage disposals, fridges, etc. they did not build but to which they attached their name. That was the beginning of the end because no matter how vigilant you are, you simply can't assure first-rate quality in a product built off-site and beyond your supervision.

Then, they began to manufacture two classes of laundry product. The premium class was still made in Iowa and was available from their licensed retailers at premium prices. The second-rate class was made by sub-manufacturers (often in Mexico), still bore the name, but was much cheaper and frankly less dependable. Those machines were no better than anyone else's and their tagline "The Dependability People" took major hits in the marketplace as a result.

As of last month, "Maytag" is legally pwn3d by "Whirlpool."

How do I know all this? In HS, I worked at a "Maytag Home Appliance Center," really admired the company, but and have sadly watched the demise of the company over the years.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 10:19 PM
You're not half as sad as this guy...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/47/Maytag_repairman.jpg/175px-Maytag_repairman.jpg

proud gonzo
2/7/2006, 11:08 PM
if you leave the door open for a while they'll dry on their own.

or you could quit being a lazy bastard and pick up a freaking dish towel. :P

GottaHavePride
2/7/2006, 11:16 PM
I hate the power dry feature. It melts and/or scorches stuff. And you have to pay for the electricity. I either air-dry them or towel-dry them.

RacerX
2/8/2006, 12:15 AM
Man dishwasher technology sucks.

Ours is probably 16 years old now. I expect to replace it any day.

SOONER44EVER
2/8/2006, 02:44 AM
Dishwashers don't dry as well as they used to because someone thought it would be a good idea to save energy. The heating coils don't have as much wattage as they used to and the drying cycle is shorter. I know this because a friend of mine works at a large appliance store. I asked him why my new dishwasher didn't dry the dishes like the old one did before it quit.