PDA

View Full Version : USPS sucks

Widescreen
2/7/2006, 11:11 AM
I bought a DVD from buy.com early last week and chose the free shipping option. For some reason buy.com uses the USPS for some things. Man, their tracking is the succ! For the last several days when I try to track it, all I get is the following:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on February 03, 2006 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I love all the disclaimers - "All we know is we're supposed to ship something at some point that, if the stars align, may eventually reach you. You're welcome."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

KABOOKIE
2/7/2006, 11:12 AM
Holy **** me too! Must be down. :D

mrowl
2/7/2006, 11:12 AM
I still can't figure out why they are still in business. Other than our tax dollars as a loan.

skycat
2/7/2006, 11:13 AM
I assume you got the fullscreen version.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 11:13 AM
Dean will be baneing you all shortly.

KABOOKIE
2/7/2006, 11:15 AM
Dean will be baneing you all shortly.

tattle tell :mad:

Widescreen
2/7/2006, 11:18 AM
I assume you got the fullscreen version.
Not sure. On the box it says:

Brokeback Mountain Pre-release DVD
Enhanced for 16:9 Displays

What does that mean?

yermom
2/7/2006, 11:38 AM
in the past when i have gotten USPS freight for free shipping the info was updated like the day i got my package

i've had it take 2-3 weeks :mad:

the old days of free or cheap UPS were much better

Skysooner
2/7/2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.postalwatch.org/images/cartoon_priority2_600.jpg

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 11:57 AM
I still can't figure out why they are still in business. Other than our tax dollars as a loan.

This statement shows just how ignorant you are.

The USPS hasn't gotten one penny from "tax dollars" since the Postal Reorganization Act in 1978. All revenue is generated from postage. If the USPS makes a profit, they don't keep it. It goes back into the "general fund." If you hate the USPS, just STFU and don't buy stamps. Simple as that.

And if you don't like the "free service" somebody is giving you, then quit being so cheap and pay.

oumartin
2/7/2006, 12:06 PM
u had to know this was gonna wake the beast!

I love the USPS

yermom
2/7/2006, 12:25 PM
you know, if snail mail was handled like email, the USPS would be on a lot of blacklists...

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 12:27 PM
USPS doesn't send the spam, does it? It's just the service. That's like blacklisting Yahoo! for putting the spam in your email.

yermom
2/7/2006, 12:37 PM
USPS doesn't send the spam, does it? It's just the service. That's like blacklisting Yahoo! for putting the spam in your email.

if you allow spam to come from your servers you end up getting blocked

like if Yahoo! got a bunch of spam from people using AOL servers they might block AOL

there are a lot of rules in place for relaying mail, like if you aren't on an ISP's network, you can't use their servers, if an ISP allows this then they end up on a list like this: http://ordb.org/

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 12:44 PM
Very true. But a lot of the spam we receiver is due to zombie machines infected with various trojans and spyware. That's like a random person mailing spam to another random person out of their own home. Since spam has to pay for the mail service just like everyone else, it's a bit different.

I agree that it's out of control, though. Aren't there lists you can sign up for like the do not call lists that are out there?

crawfish
2/7/2006, 12:47 PM
My dad, a retired postal service executive, just decided last week he was going to use FedEx or UPS over priority mail. :)

SCOUT
2/7/2006, 12:51 PM
Whenever I find myself frustrated with the USPS (it does happen as surprising as it might seem) I think about how it would be if I did it myself. If I wanted to bring a letter over to my family's house about 10 miles away it would cost me about a dollar in gas, not to mention my time. The postal service will do it for me for 1/3 of the cost. Then I remeber that postage is the same if I wanted to send that letter to Maine. Pretty cost effetive if you ask me.

okienole3
2/7/2006, 12:59 PM
The fact that a letter can get delivered any where in the U.S. for $.34 is pretty damn impressive. Not to mention the fact that it will usually get there within 3-4 days.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 01:00 PM
The fact that a letter can get delivered any where in the U.S. for $.34 is pretty damn impressive. Not to mention the fact that it will usually get there within 3-4 days.

Did they have a rate cut?

:confused:

yermom
2/7/2006, 01:07 PM
Very true. But a lot of the spam we receiver is due to zombie machines infected with various trojans and spyware. That's like a random person mailing spam to another random person out of their own home. Since spam has to pay for the mail service just like everyone else, it's a bit different.

I agree that it's out of control, though. Aren't there lists you can sign up for like the do not call lists that are out there?

yeah, so at least the zombie machine method is kinda accidental ;)

i don't know, if there is it doesn't seem to be very advertised

i'm sure that is a lot of what is keeping the USPS afloat though

Dean is so going to shoot me the next time he sees me

yermom
2/7/2006, 01:08 PM
The fact that a letter can get delivered any where in the U.S. for $.39 is pretty damn impressive. Not to mention the fact that it will sometimes get there.

fixed.

okienole3
2/7/2006, 01:36 PM
I think "junk mail" is what keeps the USPS afloat. It is just something you have to deal with. Not too bad considering they drop the stuff off right in front of your house.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 01:49 PM
can fedex or UPS deliver packages cheaper than USPS now or does the USPS still require them to have a certain base price for packages?

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 03:53 PM
You can have anybody you want deliver your packages. FedEx, UPS, etc. have the luxury of changing their rates anytime they want - without even announcing it or telling their customers. Of course, the USPS has to go through a congressional process to raise rates.

The USPS will always be cheaper (for the most part). In some markets, USPS will be much faster and better (small markets especially since FedEx and UPS aren't mandated by congress to deliver to every address in the USA - if it ain't profitable, they don't deliver there). And of course the USPS owns all P.O. boxes and are the only ones who can deliver to them.

And most people don't know this, but FedEx is a major partner AND the USPS's primary carrier now. In reciprocation, the USPS allows FedEx to put their boxes in front of Postal facilities. When your FedEx is going, so is your mail. On the same airplanes.

All you haters are just whiney-butts. Long-time statistical data proves that nobody delivers anywhere close to the USPS. And for .39, it's a hell of a bargain. So quit yer bitchin'.

mrowl
2/7/2006, 04:08 PM
This statement shows just how ignorant you are.

The USPS hasn't gotten one penny from "tax dollars" since the Postal Reorganization Act in 1978. All revenue is generated from postage. If the USPS makes a profit, they don't keep it. It goes back into the "general fund." If you hate the USPS, just STFU and don't buy stamps. Simple as that.

And if you don't like the "free service" somebody is giving you, then quit being so cheap and pay.

I am sorry for being ignorant about the post office... :rolleyes:

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 04:10 PM
I am sorry for being ignorant about the post office... :rolleyes:

You should be. Unfortunately, you're not alone. If I had a blow job for every time I've heard "damn post office wasting all those tax dollars" I'd be plum dried up by now.

mrowl
2/7/2006, 04:12 PM
You should be. Unfortunately, you're not alone. If I had a blow job for every time I've heard "damn post office wasting all those tax dollars" I'd be plum dried up by now.

actually, I take the rolly eyes back... cause my grandpa would kick my ***

he was a Rural Carrier in west Oklahoma for 50 some years.

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 04:20 PM
actually, I take the rolly eyes back... cause my grandpa would kick my ***

he was a Rural Carrier in west Oklahoma for 50 some years.

Salt

Of

The

Earth

Okla-homey
2/7/2006, 04:20 PM
It is pretty amazing that just one .39 stamp will get a letter from Bar Harbor, Maine to San Diego, CA -- and usually in under four days.

I'm a big USPS fan generally, however, I must say that I prefer these contract USPS service centers to the post office. The difference between the contract operation down S. Memorial from me here in Tulsa and the offishul branch Post Office on Sheridan in the old abandoned Wal-Mart (or whatever) is stark.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 04:27 PM
quick question Deano, slightly on topic. The Training Center that you work in. Did the GSA build it and the PO leases space or did the PO build it with their own funds? The answer doesn't prove or disprove anything, I was just curious after building 2 courthouses for the GSA and seeing how they charge their tenants. The reason I was wondering is that the GSA is like the PO in that they are allowed to make a profit. Kind of a quasi government outfit, ran like a for-profit business.

Nab'R
2/7/2006, 04:42 PM
For small boxes, the Post Office is hard to beat. Especially with the new Click and ship thing. The message you got on thier tracking means the sender made the label online, but hasn't dropped it off yet. So, it hasn't been scanned at the post office. Since the shipping was free, they probably are waiting until they have a couple of packages before they go to the post office.

Once you get to bigger boxes, UPS and FedEx are about the same, but UPS's software dominates FedEx.

As far as reliability, the USPS is very, very good. Right on the level of UPS or FedEx.

oumartin
2/7/2006, 04:46 PM
how come nobodies bringing up DHL?

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 04:46 PM
For small boxes, the Post Office is hard to beat. Especially with the new Click and ship thing. The message you got on thier tracking means the sender made the label online, but hasn't dropped it off yet. So, it hasn't been scanned at the post office. Since the shipping was free, they probably are waiting until they have a couple of packages before they go to the post office.

Once you get to bigger boxes, UPS and FedEx are about the same, but UPS's software dominates FedEx.

As far as reliability, the USPS is very, very good. Right on the level of UPS or FedEx.

Welcome to the board Mrs C&C Dean.

:dean:

Nab'R
2/7/2006, 04:47 PM
HA! I wish!

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 04:50 PM
HA! I wish!

Uhhh......

:eek:;)

mdklatt
2/7/2006, 05:10 PM
quick question Deano, slightly on topic. The Training Center that you work in. Did the GSA build it and the PO leases space or did the PO build it with their own funds?

I think it's a Mariott property. They certainly run the place, at least the residential side and the conference center.

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 05:16 PM
quick question Deano, slightly on topic. The Training Center that you work in. Did the GSA build it and the PO leases space or did the PO build it with their own funds? The answer doesn't prove or disprove anything, I was just curious after building 2 courthouses for the GSA and seeing how they charge their tenants. The reason I was wondering is that the GSA is like the PO in that they are allowed to make a profit. Kind of a quasi government outfit, ran like a for-profit business.

The USPS bought the property, built the buildings, and continue to maintain/remodel/etc. the facility all through USPS funds. We also maintain a contract with the Marriott Corporation to manage the housing facility (at 974 rooms, it's the largest hotel in Oklahoma) - even though the entire facility is Postal-owned. Our very own Mr. Crawfish's daddy was the facility manager at the time (and I ain't buying the switching to UPS story).

There is another training facility in Potomac, MD that is much the same. We bought the land and buildings from a Catholic order (it was a former nunnery - or whatever the hell they call those places where those poor, pathetic women who don't get no ernie go to become nuns). The land and buildings were purchased very cheaply - and are now worth several 10's of millions of $$. A very astute business decision by the powers during the 1960's - 70's.

RacerX
2/7/2006, 05:16 PM
FYI - The free shipping from Buy.com got me my network devices in about 3 days. I was shocked. It stated 7-9 days.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 05:18 PM
What does doleo do then?

Goofus to Dean's Gallant?

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 05:18 PM
I think it's a Mariott property. They certainly run the place, at least the residential side and the conference center.

Dude, I was the Conference Manager for several years before moving on to bigger and better things. FWIW, Marriott employees (including the GM) worked for me/us. They are a contractor to the USPS as is Trax International, and OU. More than 70% of our staff are actually OU/Trax/Marriott employees.

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 05:20 PM
What does doleo do then?

Goofus to Dean's Gallant?

He is the Clown Prince of the joint. Our very own idiot savant.

In all honesty, dude works his *** off. Very good hire.

mdklatt
2/7/2006, 05:20 PM
Dude, I was the Conference Manager for several years before moving on to bigger and better things. FWIW, Marriott employees (including the GM) worked for me/us. They are a contractor to the USPS as is Trax International, and OU. More than 70% of our staff are actually OU/Trax/Marriott employees.

Interesting. I knew OU fit into the mix somehow.

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 05:27 PM
Interesting. I knew OU fit into the mix somehow.

Most of the instructors who teach USPS employees on the technical equipment, IT, automotive, building maintenance, etc. are OU staff. Also our administrative support are almost all OU. Us older Posties are pretty much here just to mind the store.

mdklatt
2/7/2006, 05:32 PM
Most of the instructors who teach USPS employees on the technical equipment, IT, automotive, building maintenance, etc. are OU staff. Also our administrative support are almost all OU. Us older Posties are pretty much here just to mind the store.

I know an instructor there. If he has a usps.gov e-mail address does that mean he's USPS employee or could he be an OU employee?

C&CDean
2/7/2006, 06:28 PM
Everybody except Marriott has a usps.gov email address.

OUHOMER
2/7/2006, 08:22 PM
as a ex-adhoc carrier. I can tell if you have a contract to move the mail. you better be on time or no pay. we used to fly what fedex does now. You have 1 hour to get it off the plane and into the airport post office. If you are late you better prove there was a major weather delay. when we hit the belt they really move the mail and sort it to there out station. its amazing. Also after baggage, mail has the next priority on all passenger planes. so in closing the USPS goes to great lenghts to get your chit where its going.

also Christmas was ugly when we were trying to move this stuff.