PDA

View Full Version : My garbage disposal is clogged.

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 10:41 AM
What do I do?

soonerbrat
2/7/2006, 10:42 AM
don't ask me, i'm girl. that's a man's job.

sanantoniosooner
stick your hand down there and turn it on.

colleyvillesooner
fix it.

YWIA.

OUDoc
2/7/2006, 10:43 AM
New house.

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 10:45 AM
Seriously,

Sometimes you can put the cap on it and turn it on and the pressure will push stuff on through.

You can also unhook the drain and clean it out.

every now and then you ought to fill it with ice and comet. Run it with water trickling until all the ice is gone. It will clean it out and make it smell better.

TexasLidig8r
2/7/2006, 10:45 AM
Take a chainsaw to it.... oh .. wait..

crawfish
2/7/2006, 10:50 AM
Change your disposer to one that can handle dead hookers.

crawfish
2/7/2006, 10:51 AM
Take a chainsaw to it.... oh .. wait..

IT WAS A SAWZ-ALL!!!!

ChickSoonerFan
2/7/2006, 10:51 AM
Call a plumber.

Fugue
2/7/2006, 10:53 AM
plunger

Skysooner
This isn't as bad as you think. Clean out what you can by hand. Underneath the sink there should be the disposal and on the bottom of this is a place where you can put an allen wrench and twist it. When the disposal gets stuck or clogged, you can get it to turn this way and clear out what is blocking it.

Frozen Sooner
Change your disposer to one that can handle dead hookers.

That's what I'm sayin'.

Once I bought my 3HP disposal, I haven't had a single problem. Femurs? Skulls? Right down the drain.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 10:56 AM
quit throwing usde condoms in the sink

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 10:57 AM
This isn't as bad as you think. Clean out what you can by hand. Underneath the sink there should be the disposal and on the bottom of this is a place where you can put an allen wrench and twist it. When the disposal gets stuck or clogged, you can get it to turn this way and clear out what is blocking it.
wrench helps if it's stuck, but a clog is usually a different problem.

Of course, expecting people around here to explain their problem properly is a stretch also.

Skysooner
2/7/2006, 10:59 AM
True on that, but if you can at least get it turning, you can use Drano or something else. I'm not much of a plumber though. That and changing the floats in my toilets when they leak is about the only thing I can do. Oh and fixing the hand sprayer.

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 11:00 AM
wrench helps if it's stuck, but a clog is usually a different problem.

Of course, expecting people around here to explain their problem properly is a stretch also.

Heh. After further investigation, it is both sinks that are clogged. The plunger thing was kind of cool though. When I pushed down water came shooting out the little thing in the corner.

So, now that I have established it is not the disposal, it is the whole sink, what do I do?

Drano?

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 11:02 AM
take off the P traps. make sure you put a pot under so it contains the water. Clean that booger out before you try drano.

Skysooner
2/7/2006, 11:02 AM
Well you can also put the little stopper on one side to help, but you have to hold it down and that can be hard while plunging. Drano and hot water would be my suggestion.

Fugue
2/7/2006, 11:03 AM
Heh. After further investigation, it is both sinks that are clogged. The plunger thing was kind of cool though. When I pushed down water came shooting out the little thing in the corner.

So, now that I have established it is not the disposal, it is the whole sink, what do I do?

Drano?

keep plunging

TheHumanAlphabet
2/7/2006, 11:03 AM

After you do the above, try this, fill they sink with ice and water and then release the drain and run the disposal. The ice helps scour the pipes and the water pushes the gunk down the pipe.

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 11:05 AM
take off the P traps. make sure you put a pot under so it contains the water. Clean that booger out before you try drano.

What the hell is a P-trap?

sanantoniosooner
Seriously,

Sometimes you can put the cap on it and turn it on and the pressure will push stuff on through.

You can also unhook the drain and clean it out.

every now and then you ought to fill it with ice and comet. Run it with water trickling until all the ice is gone. It will clean it out and make it smell better.
:mad:

Mjcpr
What the hell is a P-trap?

Everything is a pee trap with him

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 11:06 AM
the U shaped thingy.

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 11:07 AM
You could use two plungers. :D

DCSooner
Won't there be a ****load of water to deal with?

Fugue
keep plunging

i had to plunge for 30 min. last time but I was determined not to pay. And, when my disposal got clogged and I started plunging, both sides of the sink started to back up until it finally passed through. But I'm also an idiotic jackass.

1stTimeCaller
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/publications/books/housing/images/6p68-1.gif

the shaded dealio is the p trap

Skysooner
2/7/2006, 11:08 AM
the U shaped thingy.
So why isn't it called a U-trap?:D

sanantoniosooner
Won't there be a ****load of water to deal with?
yes.

Big bucket........or try a coathanger down the drain.

Howzit

And for the love of Pete video tape yourself doing it! This should be gold.

skycat
2/7/2006, 11:09 AM
Do what 1TC said. If your sink is like mine, you'll only have one trap, and it's the t-shaped fitting above the trap where the lines from the two sinks meet that clogs.

Clean it out.

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 11:10 AM
yes.

Big bucket........or try a coathanger down the drain.

Hmmm. I will try the coat hanger before I start taking **** apart.

skycat
2/7/2006, 11:18 AM
Hmmm. I will try the coat hanger before I start taking **** apart.

At least look at the pipes before trying that. I can't believe you'll have any success at all trying to snake the drain with a stiff metal coat hangar if you have to go through a bunch of elbows and/or a garbage disposal.

Man up and take the thing apart.:dean:

On video.

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 11:34 AM
At least look at the pipes before trying that. I can't believe you'll have any success at all trying to snake the drain with a stiff metal coat hangar if you have to go through a bunch of elbows and/or a garbage disposal.

Man up and take the thing apart.:dean:

On video.

Well, the hanger didn't work. I looked at the thing closely, and decided it looked easy enough to remove the P or U or whatever. I couldn't get a bowl or bucket under all of that, so I used a trash bag. It unscrewed easily and the water came gushing. Apparently, someone put a whole pot of noodles down the drain that DOESN'T have a disposal. Grrr:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/341/noodles7kk.jpg

So the winner is 1tc. He is invited over for chicken noodle soup.

crawfish
2/7/2006, 11:36 AM
Ewwww....

DCSooner
2/7/2006, 11:37 AM
Marvin seems to like the noodles.

skycat
2/7/2006, 11:38 AM
Apparently, someone put a whole pot of noodles down the drain that DOESN'T have a disposal.

Quite the little mystery you have there. Don't throw those noodles away, they're physical evidence.

1stTimeCaller
2/7/2006, 11:38 AM
W00t!!!! the SO, fixing drains since 10:30.

Howzit
2/7/2006, 11:39 AM
Glad I could help.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 11:41 AM
Apparently, someone put a whole pot of noodles down the drain that DOESN'T have a disposal.

Someone like who?

skycat
2/7/2006, 11:43 AM
Someone like who?

Quite the little mystery you have there. Don't throw those noodles away, they're physical evidence.

Figuring that out is the SO's next project.

IB4OU2
2/7/2006, 11:44 AM
Well, the hanger didn't work. I looked at the thing closely, and decided it looked easy enough to remove the P or U or whatever. I couldn't get a bowl or bucket under all of that, so I used a trash bag. It unscrewed easily and the water came gushing. Apparently, someone put a whole pot of noodles down the drain that DOESN'T have a disposal. Grrr:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/341/noodles7kk.jpg

So the winner is 1tc. He is invited over for chicken noodle soup.

Lunch is only about one big slurpy gulp away.............

Melo
2/7/2006, 11:51 AM
My garbage disposal is broken. Not just clogged, BROKEN.

I get mine fixed for free, though.

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 12:09 PM
My garbage disposal is broken. Not just clogged, BROKEN.

I get mine fixed for free, though.

Push the red button on the bottom of it....see if that helps.

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 02:06 PM
Push the red button on the bottom of it....see if that helps.
works on baboons

Mjcpr
2/7/2006, 02:06 PM
works on baboons

I'll take your word for it.