PDA

View Full Version : Anybody out there have a CPAP?

John Kochtoston
2/7/2006, 01:07 AM
I got one about a year ago, and it has been a lifesaver both figuratively and literally. However, I have noticed an increased number of sinus infections since I started using it. I have a heated humidifier and I keep it reasonably clean. Will I just have to learn to live on Sudafed, or has anyone else overcome this problem with them?

White House Boy
2/7/2006, 01:15 AM
Talk to the Medical Supply House from which you purchased it to make sure you are cleaning it appropriately. If they say that you have been, then you may want to try something as simple as using a nasal saline rinse before bed... and throughout the day as many times as you need it.

If that does not work, your next best option would be to ask your doctor about trying any of the prescription steroid nasal sprays. If you're sensitive to tastes/smells, ask for Flonase.

But by all means, DO NOT use the over the counter nasal decongestants (Afrin, etc), as they will compound the nasal congestion with chronic usage as it causes rebound hyperemia of the nasal mucosa. Sudafed is okay to use sparingly, provided you do not have hypertension, diabetes, heart trouble, or an addiction to nicotine.

picasso
2/7/2006, 01:31 AM
use more tabasco John. put it on the Underhill's bill.

Tailwind
2/7/2006, 08:50 AM
I have one, but never had sinus problems because of it. Maybe if I used it all the time, but I can't stand it.

Pieces Hit
2/7/2006, 09:23 AM
I've used one for 6 years.
Never had any problem with it or me.
And you say you're sposed to "clean" it?

I also take it camping to blow up air mattresses.
Really, I do. It works great.

OUinFLA
2/7/2006, 09:26 AM
Does your air mattress ever show any signs of congestion?