PDA

View Full Version : Here's proof positive Kelvin Sampson is...

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 08:58 PM
...one hell of coach...as the Hornets go around the NBA we see lots of Kansas players, OSU players, Texas players, Duke players, Arizona players, UCLA players etc...in the NBA yet not any Sooners except Najera...Sampson must be doing a great job year in and year out with less talent than almost all other teams...no other conclusion is rational...

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 09:00 PM
...one hell of coach...as the Hornets go around the NBA we see lots of Kansas players, OSU players, Texas players, Duke players, Arizona players, UCLA players etc...in the NBA yet not any Sooners except Najera...Sampson must be doing a great job year in and year out with less talent than almost all other teams...no other conclusion is rational...Cept he's not a good recruiter and when he does land a few big fish. He runs them off.

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 09:02 PM
"Cept" he still wins a lot of games regardless....

CobraKai
2/6/2006, 09:26 PM
Lots of OSU players? How many constitutes lots? What do they have? 3 or 4?

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 09:32 PM
"Cept" he still wins a lot of games regardless....He wins those he should and too often loses those he shouldn't. I like him and think he is a very solid coach but he ain't taking us to a championship. That's the goal, right. Other than when he had Hollis Price (a true basketball wizard) his record is average for a program with the money and facilities and conference we have. If we had just the players that left in the last two years we'd be even better. Imagine Lavender at the point, Everett at the two, Alexander at the three, Bookout at four and Gray five. With Foust, Godbold, the center that left last year, Neal, Carter, etc... on the bench.

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 09:34 PM
Lots of OSU players? How many constitutes lots? What do they have? 3 or 4?We have to see and hear about Desmond Mason alot, since he play's for the Hornets.

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 09:39 PM
Whay NBA team is Hollis the Wizard playing on ????

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 09:58 PM
Whay NBA team is Hollis the Wizard playing on ????He's making about $350,000 a year in europe. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play in the NBA in the next few years. He's apparently become an All Star there, Although my French isn't so good.

http://www.basketstat.com/players/price_hollis.php

http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=28&id=183

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/med_1412_1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:verFoto('/fotos/noticias/jornada1/gra_1412_1.jpg','gra','V'))

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:02 PM
He's making about $350,000 a year in europe. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him play in the NBA in the next few years. He's apparently become an All Star there, Although my French isn't so good.

http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=28&id=183

http://www.basketstat.com/players/price_hollis.php

http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/med_1412_1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:verFoto('/fotos/noticias/jornada1/gra_1412_1.jpg','gra','V'))

Hollis is great but where are all of the OU NBA guys if Kelvin is such a bad coach ???????

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 10:11 PM
Ryan Humphries was a first round draft pick, Najara, Hollis will get a look and I'd bet Alexander plays a role there too.

Look it isn't difficult to see what Kelvin does. He likes tough hard nose players that will play a type of Bully Ball (boarderline thughish at times) that shuts the opposing offense down and hope to squeek it out in the end. Recruiting has gotten better so he needs to change his philosophy. He isn't the under dog with lesser talent anymore. It's wierd, it's like he can't keep great talents because they don't fit his system. It's a vicious circle and it's gettin old.

I was one of Kelvin's biggest supporters until the NCAA trouble and losing all the players last year.

Some haven't liked him from day one and I'm not one of them.

Paperclip
2/6/2006, 10:20 PM
Hollis is great but where are all of the OU NBA guys if Kelvin is such a bad coach ???????

He's a great coach because he can't get players in the NBA?

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:24 PM
Let's just say the jury is out on the NCAA violations. If the sanctions are severe then a review would be appropriate; I doubt much of a penalty from the NCAA...

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:25 PM
He's a great coach because he can't get players in the NBA?

Nice logic Einstein...

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 10:27 PM
Let's just say the jury is out on the NCAA violations. If the sanctions are severe then a review would be appropriate; I doubt much of a penalty from the NCAA...We've already lost scholorships and othe self imposed sanctions (Like Kelvin not being aloud to recruit).

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:30 PM
right, inconsequential at this point...i.e., look at next year's recruiting class.....

usmc-sooner
2/6/2006, 10:31 PM
We've already lost scholorships and othe self imposed sanctions (Like Kelvin not being aloud to recruit).

maybe he can just call them:D

Paperclip
2/6/2006, 10:33 PM
right, inconsequential at this point...i.e., look at next year's recruiting class.....

Every year is "look at next year" with his teams.

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:37 PM
Every year is "look at next year" with his teams.

borish...

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 10:46 PM
borish......however true.

Soonerus
2/6/2006, 10:49 PM
I think i I ever get another dog I'll name it "Sampson"...

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 11:11 PM
I think i I ever get another dog I'll name it "Sampson"...Original...make sure you kick 'em when he licks his nuts on national tv. ;)

Sooner24
2/6/2006, 11:19 PM
I think i I ever get another dog I'll name it "Sampson"...

Don't plan on getting any stud fees for him. If he's anything like his namesake he will go long periods of time without scoring.

CtheB
2/6/2006, 11:27 PM
Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Kelvin likes the tougher hard nose types because he doesn't have to share a stage with them? The only real "super" he has coached is Hollis, who didn't want the spotlight anyway--a special kid. But we parade in any highly touted kid, and he gets a lid put on him. Every March we get to hear it, "look at Kelvin Sampson get another group of average ballplayers into the tournament. What a coach." Face it guys, the longer Kelvin's been here, the bigger his bust becomes. Look at the stats, in the past six years, we have not had a scorer average 20 a game, and only twice have we had a player average 18. In KS' first six years, we had a 20 point scorer every season. Is he bringing in better talent now than he used to? I think so. If he isn't, then we have a problem. Agree?

Also, doesn't anyone else find it humorous that Kelvin has had as many NBA players LEAVE the program during his tenure as he has had stay?

That's why everyone getting all excited about Scottie and Damion need to check themselves, the chances of them being here for year 3 are not very good, and that's history talking.

Little question that Sampson is a good to very good coach, but if you think he is good enough to win a title without a mass of talent, you're nuts.

Paperclip
2/7/2006, 12:15 AM
Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Kelvin likes the tougher hard nose types because he doesn't have to share a stage with them?

Actually, yeah.

Harry Beanbag
2/7/2006, 07:14 AM
Actually, yeah.

Me too.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/8/2006, 05:27 PM
...one hell of coach...as the Hornets go around the NBA we see lots of Kansas players, OSU players, Texas players, Duke players, Arizona players, UCLA players etc...in the NBA yet not any Sooners except Najera...Sampson must be doing a great job year in and year out with less talent than almost all other teams...no other conclusion is rational...

I think the fact that he US Basketball Writers National Coach of the year award in 1995 the AP National Coach of the Year Award in 1995 and the National Association of Basketball Coaches National Coach of the year award in 2002 is pretty good evidence that he is at least a decent coach.

There have been some talented players leave the program no doubt but I don't get the lovefest for Lavender. The fact that he and some of the other players left are as much or more their fault than Sampson's. Several years ago all the naysayers were citing the graduation rate from OU despite the fact that some of the players not counted as grads were people who came in from Juco and it fact graduated. Now the last couple years Sampson has gone with fewer Juco players and more high school players. Not just more high school players but on paper the best class to come to OU in 15-20 years. Taj Gray,Kevin Bookout and Austin Johnson are players that were rated pretty high coming into school. Everett, Neal,Griffin, Godbold,Carter are all by comparison sleepers or at least players that come in under the radar so I don't think it is fair to say that Sampson can't recruit either. Not to knock one player but Walker was clearly a mistake, not DI caliber.

I'm as frustrated with anyone else when the team goes into a long scoring drought but I also remember a Billy Tubbs coached OU team blow a big lead against East Tennessee St (a 16 seed) and need a 3 point shot to avoid being the only #1 seed to ever lose in the first round. Not to rip on Tubbs because Sooner hoops before he was here was pretty weak.

My one disclaimer would be if any serious probabation came from the phone call investigation. Otherwas I'm not 100% satisfied but generally pleased with the direction the program is heading.

I think some of those that are tired of Sampson presume that if he leaves that Coach K, Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun or Rick Pitino are going to jump to OU.

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 05:35 PM
The only real "super" he has coached is Hollis, who didn't want the spotlight anyway--a special kid. But we parade in any highly touted kid, and he gets a lid put on him.

Maybe, but I'd point out that Najera is the only one that's really been successful in the NBA. Of course, he was basically the same personality as Hollis, so the argument still stands.

NickZeppelin
2/8/2006, 06:19 PM
Kelvin is 9 wins away from being OU's all time leader in conference wins. He already has a better win % then any coach ever at OU. He only needs 4 more conference wins to pass Billy Tubbs.

Kelvin is 11-6 in the NCAA Tourney in the past 7 years. That's 9th among active coaches in NCAA Tourney Win%. First in the Big 12.

6 more wins and Kelvin has his 10th 20 win season at OU. Billy Tubbs had 11 20 win seasons.

Kelvin is on pace to pass Tubbs Sooners win record in sometime around the 2007-2008 season. He will also get past the 500 win mark around that time for his overall career.

Kelvin's averaged 25 wins over the last 5 years. If he keeps that average up for the next 10 years he will have 685 wins in 32 years. That's 21.4 wins per year as a coach.

He's made a post season Tourney every year at OU. And the NCAA Tourney every year but 1 at OU.

Kelvin's doing something right.

PrideTrombone
2/8/2006, 06:27 PM
Guys, the only reason we can say that Kelvin is first in anything among active Big XII coaches is because Roy Williams left.

Soonerus
2/8/2006, 11:34 PM
Kelvin says "How do you like me now ???"

CtheB
2/8/2006, 11:36 PM

I like the fact that he learned Sunday to never quit attacking the goal, no matter the lead. I guess better late than never. Good win over the worst defensive OSU team I think I've seen since the Hamilton era.

Soonerus
2/8/2006, 11:38 PM
Ag's buried 5 or 6 threes at the end, a lot of teams might have fallen to that onslaught....

Paperclip
2/8/2006, 11:39 PM

Even bad OSU teams usually play lights out at GIA. I'll take this win and say good job. I'm still bitter about Sunday though and not quite willing to get emotionally involved with this team again.

NickZeppelin
2/8/2006, 11:46 PM
I think OU learned from that KU game and the Nova game too.

Paperclip
2/8/2006, 11:47 PM
I think OU learned from that KU game and the Nova game too.

Do winning and learning have to be mutually exclusive? ;)

GottaHavePride
2/8/2006, 11:49 PM
Good win over the worst defensive OSU team I think I've seen since the Hamilton era.

Holy crap, it was like they thought we only had 4 guys on the court. They'd try the full-court press but leave one guy way across the court unguarded, or let someone WAY behind them for an inbounds pass. Weird.

CtheB
2/8/2006, 11:51 PM
Holy crap, it was like they thought we only had 4 guys on the court. They'd try the full-court press but leave one guy way across the court unguarded, or let someone WAY behind them for an inbounds pass. Weird.

Hard to believe, isn't it? Seems like the second round of players coming through the Jesus House may not be as talented as the first. Stillwater--nowhere you want to be, unless you got nowhere else to go.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/9/2006, 09:24 AM
Eddie Sutton obviously has NO idea how to coach. OSU went 10:54 in the first half without a field goal. :D :D :D

CtheB
2/9/2006, 10:29 AM
Eddie Sutton obviously has NO idea how to coach. OSU went 10:54 in the first half without a field goal. :D :D :D

Speaking of Suttons, doesn't Sean look like the kid growing up that used to get PO'd on the basketball court and do something spastic....like slam the ball against the backboard in anger only to have it come back and hit him in the face?

the_ouskull
2/9/2006, 01:29 PM
Look, I love Hollis Price, and what he did at OU.

He's the 4th leading scorer... on his own team. Let's not go making him an All-Star just yet...

the_ouskull

stoopified
2/9/2006, 03:07 PM
...one hell of coach...as the Hornets go around the NBA we see lots of Kansas players, OSU players, Texas players, Duke players, Arizona players, UCLA players etc...in the NBA yet not any Sooners except Najera...Sampson must be doing a great job year in and year out with less talent than almost all other teams...no other conclusion is rational...That is very true .I had atually benn thinking of posting this very topic myself.Ya beat me to it Soonerus.

MojoRisen
2/9/2006, 03:22 PM
That is very true .I had atually benn thinking of posting this very topic myself.Ya beat me to it Soonerus.

Kelvin is a good coach- Dfensive coach. Let's not get carried away about OSU they got beat by 50 against texas and really can't be worth a ****.

We are blowing leads all year- and dropped home game against Mizou..

Poeple please

Sooner62
2/10/2006, 12:50 PM
I'm apologize for asking. Where is 1st round draft choice, Ryan Humphries, playing these days? What teams are "those players that he ran off" playing for the NBA? I forget.

Let's make sure we keep the kids that are or have problems just so we can maybe get more wins. Yeah, that makes sense.

Those of you who support Coach Sampson & the team - no matter what stats you throw out there, the people that want to bash will bash. I'd venture to say, if he won a National Championship, they'd still be whining cuz it was only one. Save your breath. They won't convert. They won't be happy no matter what happens with this team. They want to be unhappy. They want to hate this staff & team. Let them. If Sampson leaves, they'll be the first to "be unhappy" with the next choice because if they were happy, what would they have to b!tch about?

Boomer Sooner

OUGreg723
2/10/2006, 02:14 PM
GUYS! CAN WE PLEASE STOP THIS KELVIN BASHING. He is a great coach and a great human being. It's rare to have a coach as good as Kelvin on and off the court. We really take him for granted. I really think with the talent we have coming in, and the commitment all of these kids have to this program, we are going to bring home our first National Title. We've never had kids this good coming to OU folks. I think Kelvin has become a great recruiter. You guys will see. Hopefully.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/10/2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think all the criticism of Sampson is unfair. Over the last decade there have been some losses that make you scratch your head. What I don't get though is that some seem to think that most of the success that the program has had while Sampson has been here has been in spite of him instead of because of him.

Stoop Dawg
2/10/2006, 05:02 PM
I'm happy to have Kelvin as our coach.

Soonerus
2/11/2006, 12:53 AM
OU gets the 2 seed in the Big XII tournament and a 3 or 4 seed in the big dance, not great considering pre-season hype, but pretty darn good....

MojoRisen
2/11/2006, 12:46 PM
If you guys think Kelvin can't improve in XO coaching - please.. I ultimately like Kelvin- criticism is fair to some degree. I am sure he is a grown man and can take it.

Kelvin certainly has done a great job- and he has an opportunity to be a great- but don't tell me it is because we score 60 some odd points a game on a good night. He can improve- talent will help.

There is not a line of I Love hIM I Hate HIM- Criticism is fair- loosing leads is not a good thing. Period.

MojoRisen
2/11/2006, 12:48 PM
Loosing Mcdonals All Americans- is not a good thing- but who is to say he won't learn from his mistakes- and then it is going to be - OH Kelvin is so great!!! Let's just keep things in perspective and continue to improve.

Big Red Ron
2/11/2006, 01:45 PM
Look, I love Hollis Price, and what he did at OU.

He's the 4th leading scorer... on his own team. Let's not go making him an All-Star just yet...

the_ouskullHe was an all star last year. He's injured this year.

Big Red Ron
2/11/2006, 01:47 PM
"The big question is whether injures, especially one that might keep point guard Hollis Price sidelined until the ULEB Cup starts, can possibly slow this promising young team."

http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/no...nada=28&id=183 (http://www.euroleague.net/ulebcup/noticia.jsp?temporada=E03&jornada=28&id=183)