PDA

View Full Version : making fun of physicists

Ike
2/6/2006, 04:31 PM
A friend of mine showd me this article that was published in the chicago tribune about the very place that I am working, in 1987. It was funny enough, that I'm even going to post it here so you can all make fun of me, my job, and my life....there are just too many funny parts to make fun of the whole thing.

enjoy your monday.

Chicago Tribune -- Feb 26, 1987
"About the town"

Fermilab fission's fizzlin' without females

At Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, where high-energy physicists probe the the mysteries of the universe, the answer has been found to perhaps the biggest mystery of all: Where are all the single men? They are here at Fermilab, young and single, some of them good-looking.

Few women go into high-energy physics, or the engineering and technical fields associated with physics research. Fermilab is, thus, overwhelmingly male, which the men find unfortunate.

"It is very difficult to find companionship," said Marcelo Gleiser, 27, a dashing astrophysicist from Brazil with tousled blond hair. "Sometimes I bitterly regret having chosen to be a physicist."

"The longing," said Bud Dickerson, 28, a strapping, outdoorsy physicist researching quantum chromodynamics, "is everpresent and constant."

"We wait all winter, looking for a month like June, July or August, when many summer students come in," said Armando Lanaro, a 30-year-old physicist from Rome given to rakish mufflers and a Continental air. "The new person who comes in for the summer is extremely welcome. Especially if she's pretty."

Many scientists find it difficult to meet people outside Fermilab. They often work late, which Dickerson suggested is partly because there are few women around. But the nature of the work demands long hours: When the particle accelerator is running, it runs 24 hours a day.

"The feeling you get from people outside is that this is a sort of secret place where something strange is going on, and the people doing it are are strange people," Lanaro said. "It is very hard to make people understand that we are just normal people. We like to go dancing once in a while, have a cup of coffee with a friend, take a walk." Lanaro used to live on-site, an expericence he likened to his year in the Italian army. "There is a lack of sex life for most of the people who live in Fermilab," he said. "It is very depressive. Very, very depressive."

Many scientists live in such hotbeds of nightlife as Batavia, Warrenville and Wheaton. Still, Steve Delchamps, 31, said socializing is not impossible in the western suburbs. "We don't have Division Street in Batavia, but then again, who really wants Divison Street in Batavia?" he said. "What is Division Street?" asked his colleague Alberto Marchionni, 30.

For the visiting female, a walk through the high-rise Robert Rathbun Wilson Hall can be a delight. Heads turn; handsome men gaze shyly. The heart flutters; the ego soars.

"In the cafeteria, everyone is quite aware of whenever a new woman walks in," said Joey Huston, 32, "You definitely sort of see."

"I see no problem with it," said Joy Perington, 24, an office clerk, of the situation. She met her boyfriend on the job, and introduces lonely scientists to her girlfriend.

Margherita Vittone, 31, one of the few women scientists, said she sometimes feels like a curiosity. "They say, `Oh, what is that?'" she said.

Lanaro thinks that a lack of daily contact with female colleagues makes Fermilab men uncomfortable around women. "I think that a woman outside can recognize a physicist from Fermilab just by looking in his eyes," he said.

The men of Fermilab are prime marital real estate. Possessing some of the brightest minds in the world, they have excellent career prospects. Some may win Nobel Prizes, and the lucky wife and kids could go along to Stockholm for the ceremony.

"In France, it is very trendy for women to go after mathematicians," said Gleiser, "They know they are stable and reasonable people. Maybe this trend will catch on here."

Physicists can tell fascinating tales about the universe, can wear jeans to work and often have droll senses of humor. Still, Tim Turkington, 25, said that women at parties sometimes fall silent when he says he is a physicist. "We know guys who never tell anyone they're physicists," he said. "They tell people they're photographers."

Fermilab provides on-site diversions such as a swimming pool, gym, barn dances and concerts. There are soccer and volleyball games, and an on-site tavern called the User's Center, which offers a game room and Saturday night movies. There is a herd of sullen-looking buffalo and an exhibit of old farm machinery. A Quality of Life Committee is charged with improving Fermilab social life, but Hustion, its chairman, said he has been too busy with work to do much with it.

Gleiser endured one lonely winter living on-site before moving to Chicago's De Paul neighborhood. His social life vastly improved when he met a bartender on the beach who introduced him to customers at his North Side bar. "I came from Rio to London and then to Batavia," he said. "It's kind of a social shock."

But even Batavia, said Lanaro, was an improvement over living on-site surrounded by male physicists. Fond as he is of his colleagues, he enjoys walking out his door in the morning and seeing a neighbor going to work somewhere other than Fermilab, or perhaps watching children play. "Just saying good morning to a non-physicist," he said, "makes me happy."

yermom
2/6/2006, 04:38 PM
barn dances? without girls?

NTTAWWT

Ike
2/6/2006, 04:40 PM
barn dances? without girls?

NTTAWWT

well, there are girls here....5 of them to be exact.

yermom
2/6/2006, 04:41 PM
in town, or at Fermilab? :D

Ike
2/6/2006, 04:42 PM
at the lab. there are maybe 6 or 7 more in town.

King Crimson
2/6/2006, 04:43 PM
my freshman astronomy professor (not at OU) was not only named "Thad" but used to wear this totally sweet chocolate brown t-shirt that said "astronomers love heavenly bodies". bowl haircut, 135 dripping wet, big glasses, the works.

Ike
2/6/2006, 04:47 PM
see, I don't know whats worse here...that the writing for this is so bad (quotes included), or that theres a bit of truth to it.

Ike
2/6/2006, 04:51 PM
and this quote about sums up the state of affairs at the lab:

A Quality of Life Committee is charged with improving Fermilab social life, but Hustion, its chairman, said he has been too busy with work to do much with it.

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 04:56 PM
I used to work with a bunch of Geophysicists at a research center long ago. There was this one guy that would come to work with his cloths on backwards or inside out. There was one guy that would drive to work every day and after he parked his car in the parking lot he would step a few feet away from it and look at it for ten to fifteen minutes......brilliant but weird.

pb4ou
2/6/2006, 04:58 PM
I used to work with a bunch of Geophysicists at a research center long ago. There was this one guy that would come to work with his cloths on backwards or inside out. There was one guy that would drive to work every day and after he parked his car in the parking lot he would step a few feet away from it and look at it for ten to fifteen minutes......brilliant but weird.

That type of Geophysicist would make me worry.

Ike
2/6/2006, 05:06 PM

I hope one of those isn't my dad....he's a geophysicist...

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 05:09 PM
I hope one of those isn't my dad....he's a geophysicist...

Hint- This was in Tulsa back in the eighties........

skycat
2/6/2006, 05:33 PM
This quote freaked me out:

In France, it is very trendy for women to go after mathematicians," said Gleiser, "They know they are stable and reasonable people.

I don't know how it was at OU, but at K-State, the Math profs were anything but stable and reasonable people.

I'm going to have to send this to my best friend, who's worked at Fermilab in the past, and is working on his doctorate in physics now. It cracked me up.

lexsooner
2/6/2006, 05:34 PM
I can see this problem existing with scientists in many areas. Few American women, especially more attractive ones, go into physics or chemistry. My Dad is a scientist and he has made light of this fact before. He says the interesting thing is there are attractive European women in science, but few attractive American women. I think American culture is more anti-intellectual than European culture, so you do find some good-looking women in highly technical scientific fields in Europe, whereas in the U.S. attractive women want to stay away from the "nerdy" or uncool professions and instead go into fields like business or psychology.

Ike
2/6/2006, 05:55 PM
I can see this problem existing with scientists in many areas. Few American women, especially more attractive ones, go into physics or chemistry. My Dad is a scientist and he has made light of this fact before. He says the interesting thing is there are attractive European women in science, but few attractive American women. I think American culture is more anti-intellectual than European culture, so you do find some good-looking women in highly technical scientific fields in Europe, whereas in the U.S. attractive women want to stay away from the "nerdy" or uncool professions and instead go into fields like business or psychology.

there is a lot of truth to that. almost without exception, the attractive women here are either of the european or asian persuasion.

SoonerInKCMO
2/6/2006, 05:59 PM
I don't know how it was at OU, but at K-State, the Math profs were anything but stable and reasonable people.

We had a guy that taught Diff. Eq. that was quite fond of saying "suppose, for a moment... I am God" and said it with a little twinkle in his eye that made you think that the thought of this made him happy in his pants.

Lyberopolous, I believe.

Ike
2/6/2006, 06:10 PM
We had a guy that taught Diff. Eq. that was quite fond of saying "suppose, for a moment... I am God" and said it with a little twinkle in his eye that made you think that the thought of this made him happy in his pants.

Lyberopolous, I believe.

heh. I had a physics prof while I was an undergrad (not at OU) that when he was posing an E&M type problem to the class, which would normally begin with "Suppose you have a charged particle at ....", would instead say "Suppose you have a charged party girl"

and then he'd get all googly eyed.

lexsooner
2/6/2006, 06:30 PM
there is a lot of truth to that. almost without exception, the attractive women here are either of the european or asian persuasion.

In Europe and Asia, having brains and technical ability in science, math or engineering is generally looked upon favorably and is a highly desirable trait. In the U.S., on the other hand, it is synonymous with being a social loser or nerd. Maybe that is why so many are worried about our competitive future in this world when we have such an anti-intellectual attitude, and instead look upon dumb jocks and cheerleaders so favorably instead of brains. I mean, really, are 300 pound foobow playas the key to our future in this world, or 98 pound engineers or scientists?

skycat
2/6/2006, 06:56 PM
In Europe and Asia, having brains and technical ability in science, math or engineering is generally looked upon favorably and is a highly desirable trait. In the U.S., on the other hand, it is synonymous with being a social loser or nerd. Maybe that is why so many are worried about our competitive future in this world when we have such an anti-intellectual attitude, and instead look upon dumb jocks and cheerleaders so favorably instead of brains. I mean, really, are 300 pound foobow playas the key to our future in this world, or 98 pound engineers or scientists?

Well, I know quite a few 300 pound engineers. Of course, I don't think that they could bench 98 pounds, but that's a different thing entirely.:P