PDA

View Full Version : OU announces schedule for 06

Collier11
2/6/2006, 03:19 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Two games against teams from the Pacific-10 Conference highlight the non-conference portion of the 12-game 2006 University of Oklahoma football schedule that was announced today by OU Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione.

The Sooners will host Washington on Sept. 9 and then travel to Oregon on Sept. 16. It will mark the third consecutive season in which OU has played the Ducks, including last season’s Pacific Life Holiday Bowl at San Diego. It also marks the fifth consecutive season in which Oklahoma played at least one game against a team from the Pac-10.

“Once again we will have a very challenging schedule in 2006,” Castiglione said. “The scheduling process becomes a little more complicated each year, and this one was no exception. Finding opponents and matching dates has become something of a science, but the diligence is always worth it in the end.

“We have demonstrated a commitment to a particular scheduling philosophy that can help our team prepare for a championship run, appeal to an enthusiastic fan base and honor the historic and nationally-recognized stature of Sooner football. This schedule does that and more considering the inclusion of a 12th regular season game.”

Oklahoma opens the season Sept. 2 against Alabama-Birmingham, then, after the two games against Pac-10 schools, completes its non-conference slate by hosting Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 23.

For a sixth straight season, OU will play a schedule comprised solely of NCAA Division I-A programs.

In Big 12 Conference play, Oklahoma has its regular menu of games against the Big 12 South, but rotates into three new opponents from the North Division. The North foes this year include Iowa State at Norman on Oct. 14, Colorado at Norman on Oct. 21 and Missouri at Columbia on Oct. 28.

In each of the last two seasons, OU’s North Division foes were Kansas, Kansas State and Nebraska.

There is one open date on the schedule, Sept. 30. On earlier schedules, that was the date for the Oklahoma at Oklahoma State game, but that contest has been moved to Nov. 25 to meet the requirements of the Big 12 Conference television agreement.

The remainder of the televised games and the starting times, most of which are determined by the television networks, are yet to be determined.

The 101st renewal of the AT&T Red River Rivalry featuring Oklahoma and Texas is set for Oct. 7 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

The home portion of the schedule includes UAB, Washington, Middle Tennessee State, Iowa State, Colorado and Texas Tech. The road games are at Oregon, Missouri, Texas A&M, Missouri and Oklahoma State.

The combined 2005 record of OU’s upcoming opponents was 71-62. Six of them (Oregon, Texas, Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri and Texas Tech) played in bowl games.

Last season, Oklahoma, which fielded one of the nation’s youngest teams, finished with an 8-4 mark despite playing Division I-A’s most difficult schedule. The Sooners wrapped up the campaign with a 17-14 victory over No. 6 Oregon in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. OU finished the season ranked No. 22 in both of the major polls.

Some 26 players who started at least one game in 2005 are slated to return for the Sooners in 2006.

Spring practice for OU begins March 20. The spring game is set for April 8. The time for that game will be announced at a later date.

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 03:21 PM
OU Releases 2006 Football Schedule

NORMAN, Okla. -- Two games against teams from the Pacific-10 Conference highlight the non-conference portion of the 12-game 2006 University of Oklahoma football schedule that was announced today by OU Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione.

The Sooners will host Washington on Sept. 9 and then travel to Oregon on Sept. 16. It will mark the third consecutive season in which OU has played the Ducks, including last season’s Pacific Life Holiday Bowl at San Diego. It also marks the fifth consecutive season in which Oklahoma played at least one game against a team from the Pac-10.

“Once again we will have a very challenging schedule in 2006,” Castiglione said. “The scheduling process becomes a little more complicated each year, and this one was no exception. Finding opponents and matching dates has become something of a science, but the diligence is always worth it in the end.

“We have demonstrated a commitment to a particular scheduling philosophy that can help our team prepare for a championship run, appeal to an enthusiastic fan base and honor the historic and nationally-recognized stature of Sooner football. This schedule does that and more considering the inclusion of a 12th regular season game.”

Oklahoma opens the season Sept. 2 against Alabama-Birmingham, then, after the two games against Pac-10 schools, completes its non-conference slate by hosting Middle Tennessee State on Sept. 23.

For a sixth straight season, OU will play a schedule comprised solely of NCAA Division I-A programs.

In Big 12 Conference play, Oklahoma has its regular menu of games against the Big 12 South, but rotates into three new opponents from the North Division. The North foes this year include Iowa State at Norman on Oct. 14, Colorado at Norman on Oct. 21 and Missouri at Columbia on Oct. 28.
In each of the last two seasons, OU’s North Division foes were Kansas, Kansas State and Nebraska.

There is one open date on the schedule, Sept. 30. On earlier schedules, that was the date for the Oklahoma at Oklahoma State game, but that contest has been moved to Nov. 25 to meet the requirements of the Big 12 Conference television agreement.

The remainder of the televised games and the starting times, most of which are determined by the television networks, are yet to be determined.
The 101st renewal of the AT&T Red River Rivalry featuring Oklahoma and Texas is set for Oct. 7 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

The home portion of the schedule includes UAB, Washington, Middle Tennessee State, Iowa State, Colorado and Texas Tech. The road games are at Oregon, Missouri, Texas A&M, Missouri and Oklahoma State.
The combined 2005 record of OU’s upcoming opponents was 71-62. Six of them (Oregon, Texas, Iowa State, Colorado, Missouri and Texas Tech) played in bowl games.

Last season, Oklahoma, which fielded one of the nation’s youngest teams, finished with an 8-4 mark despite playing Division I-A’s most difficult schedule. The Sooners wrapped up the campaign with a 17-14 victory over No. 6 Oregon in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. OU finished the season ranked No. 22 in both of the major polls.
Some 26 players who started at least one game in 2005 are slated to return for the Sooners in 2006.

Spring practice for OU begins March 20. The spring game is set for April 8. The time for that game will be announced at a later date.
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=2475&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=235051

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 03:23 PM
You beat me to it.

Collier11
2/6/2006, 03:26 PM
just barely huh?

Jay C. Upchurch
2/6/2006, 03:33 PM
Sept. 2 ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM (5-6)

Sept. 9 WASHINGTON (2-9)

Sept. 16 at Oregon (10-2)

Sept. 23 MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE (4-7)

Sept. 30 Open

Oct. 7 Texas (13-0) at Dallas

Oct. 14 IOWA STATE (7-5)

Oct. 21 COLORADO (7-6)

Oct. 28 at Missouri (7-5)

Nov. 4 at Texas A&M (5-6)

Nov. 11 TEXAS TECH (9-3)

Nov. 18 at Baylor (5-6)

Nov. 25 at Oklahoma State (4-7)

Dec. 2 Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship (Kansas City, Mo.)

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 03:45 PM
How can you have a young team 4 of our last 5 on the road? That could really hurt our chances for a big bowl game.

NormanPride
2/6/2006, 03:45 PM
That's a rough schedule. Only the one break before we open Big 12 in Dallas. Better get it right fast, boys!

CincySooner
2/6/2006, 04:08 PM
I wonder how hacked off saxeT will be when they learn that we have a bye week before the RRS

Octavian
2/6/2006, 04:10 PM
glad to see aggy lite moved to the end

yermom
2/6/2006, 04:20 PM
we've got bigger things to worry about in Oregon before starting the Big 12

i think i'm more worried about that game than the Texass game

i'd much rather start with MTS before the UW and UO games...

The Consumate Showman
2/6/2006, 04:23 PM
glad to see aggy lite moved to the end

Do you? For me, I hate giving those aggots their bowl game when they want it. By the time they get to our game, they'll be bowl-ineligible and ready to play their bowl game at home. It just seems like it's always our biggest trap game of the season when we have to play them at Stoolwater.

It really irks me that they only want to get up and play for one game every year. If they want the respect that all of my oSwho co-workers so desire, they need to start actually beating some other big XII teams besides the low class ones. I mean, Gumby lost to Baylor......BAYLOR.....That says something about their program; and how the hell they get a top 20 recruiting class I will never figure out unless Grand-Daddy Boone is pumping a little black gold ca$h into those guy's pockets.

I hate those sheep-herders........:eddie: :eek:

Octavian
2/6/2006, 04:25 PM
Yeah I know but its better than playing in Stillwater seven days before going to Dallas

OUstud
2/6/2006, 04:55 PM
Bravo on MTSU. We could beat them by 70. They're really bad.

soonerscuba
2/6/2006, 04:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks its hella lame to play Middle Tennessee State?

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 05:05 PM
It's a filler. Probably a needed game. We have a schedule that's tough enough already. We play 4 of our last 5 on the road. We play all of our tougher games on the road. It could set up to backfire and we could see a bad season with the way it's set up. You need as many easy OOC games as you can get.

Collier11
2/6/2006, 05:06 PM
UMM, absolutely NO soonerscuba. We play a good oregon team,a decent uab team who made a bowl two years ago and should have last year, washington which is DOWN but a name school, plus our big 12 schedule, we need one or two patsies...dont forget baylor is better so we cant count on them to be a rollover anymore

mrowl
2/6/2006, 05:12 PM
I f'ing hate the aggots.

The last half of the schedule is gonna cause problems I fear.

NickZeppelin
2/6/2006, 05:15 PM
I f'ing hate the aggots.

The last half of the schedule is gonna cause problems I fear.

It really could. Although all-time against us in games after Thanksgiving OSU has 2 wins. Both in this decade.

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/6/2006, 05:21 PM
How can you have a young team 4 of our last 5 on the road? That could really hurt our chances for a big bowl game.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/chickenzepplin.jpg

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 05:27 PM
Seeing us scheduled to play the Aggie on or around Thanksgiving made me throw up a little in my mouth.

King Crimson
2/6/2006, 05:32 PM
UAB game tape is in Austin sometime early evening on Sept. 2.

MTSU also beat Jay Cutler and Vandy (yeah, yeah...) at Vandy to keep the Commodores from being bowl eligible for the first time since forever. Vandy took UFLA to double OT at the swamp.

mrowl
2/6/2006, 05:38 PM
PLEASE let this be the last year for an ABC contract with the Big 12.

starclassic tama
2/6/2006, 05:48 PM
Sept. 2 ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM (5-6)

Sept. 9 WASHINGTON (2-9)

Sept. 16 at Oregon (10-2)

Sept. 23 MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE (4-7)

Sept. 30 Open

Oct. 7 Texas (13-0) at Dallas

Oct. 14 IOWA STATE (7-5)

Oct. 21 COLORADO (7-6)

Oct. 28 at Missouri (7-5)

Nov. 4 at Texas A&M (5-6)

Nov. 11 TEXAS TECH (9-3)

Nov. 18 at Baylor (5-6)

Nov. 25 at Oklahoma State (4-7)

Dec. 2 Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship (Kansas City, Mo.)

January 11th BCS National Championship Game

fixed :)

SapulpaSooner
2/6/2006, 05:52 PM
I like the schedule. it will not be easy so lets take it one game at a time.

Octavian
2/6/2006, 06:08 PM
Seeing us scheduled to play the Aggie on or around Thanksgiving made me throw up a little in my mouth.

why? You'd rather play them in stillwater the week before we go to dallas?

mrowl
2/6/2006, 06:12 PM
why? You'd rather play them in stillwater the week before we go to dallas?

yes. or on the 2nd

Octavian
2/6/2006, 06:15 PM
well ok...I dont mind playing them whenever.

rainiersooner
2/6/2006, 06:49 PM
we've got bigger things to worry about in Oregon before starting the Big 12

i think i'm more worried about that game than the Texass game

i'd much rather start with MTS before the UW and UO games...

The huskies are a jv team at best...I've seen them in person...they are really, really bad and will be this year also. Although UO in Eugene will be tricky, certainly.

josh09
2/6/2006, 07:04 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah yaaaaaaaaaah

its ON now

WHY CANT OCTOBER 7TH COME FASTER?!

Jimminy Crimson
2/6/2006, 07:09 PM
Stillwater sucks. Especially around Thanksgiving.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mjcpr
2/6/2006, 07:19 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah yaaaaaaaaaah

its ON now

WHY CANT OCTOBER 7TH COME FASTER?!

Because it has been drinking?

85Sooner
2/6/2006, 07:27 PM
I wonder how hacked off saxeT will be when they learn that we have a bye week before the RRS

I think you mean 2 bye weeks before saxeT

Blues1
2/6/2006, 08:31 PM
I Like what I see - Just don't let RAIN in Eugene on our game day - and I see a Great Season --- BCS Bowl is in the Bag.....!!!

Keep Rockin'

sooneron
2/6/2006, 10:49 PM
I like the schedule somewhat. I wish we had another game before UO. I hate giving dogpatch a bowl game on thanksgiving weekend!

The bye before UTerus made me salivate.

Duke o Brewery
2/6/2006, 11:42 PM
UAB game tape is in Austin sometime early evening on Sept. 2.

MTSU also beat Jay Cutler and Vandy (yeah, yeah...) at Vandy to keep the Commodores from being bowl eligible for the first time since forever. Vandy took UFLA to double OT at the swamp.

Your point is valid. MTSU may not be a midmajor power like Boise State or Fresno State, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of them knocking off one or two good teams in the last few years.

Here's a snippet from the MTSU Athletics site:
The last time Middle Tennessee faced a team from the Big 12 was during the 2003 season when it traveled to Missouri. The Blue Raiders went to overtime against the No. 23 Tigers before falling, 41-40.

westcoast_sooner
2/6/2006, 11:52 PM
Do you? For me, I hate giving those aggots their bowl game when they want it. By the time they get to our game, they'll be bowl-ineligible and ready to play their bowl game at home. It just seems like it's always our biggest trap game of the season when we have to play them at Stoolwater.

It really irks me that they only want to get up and play for one game every year. If they want the respect that all of my oSwho co-workers so desire, they need to start actually beating some other big XII teams besides the low class ones. I mean, Gumby lost to Baylor......BAYLOR.....That says something about their program; and how the hell they get a top 20 recruiting class I will never figure out unless Grand-Daddy Boone is pumping a little black gold ca$h into those guy's pockets.

I hate those sheep-herders........:eddie: :eek:

Dude - Chill.
I started to post exactly the same thing, and then I got to thinkin about how it really doesn't matter if Gumby and the Sheep Humpers play us in October, November or when. It's ALWAYS going to be their bowl game. The same holds for almost every other team we play - always. We are the Oklahoma Sooners, and we have a long proud tradition that most other schools can only envy.

I hate those guys, but I welcome the challenge, since it makes winning a conference championship or MNC just that much sweeter.

Octavian
2/7/2006, 12:09 AM
It's ALWAYS going to be their bowl game.

word.

SoonerDood
2/7/2006, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks its hella lame to play Middle Tennessee State?
they are the bane of my existence and I want to murder them.

John Kochtoston
2/7/2006, 01:25 AM
I'm guessing the talk of Washington wanting to wimp ... err ... pull out of the series is dead?

King Crimson
2/7/2006, 02:00 AM
I'm guessing the talk of Washington wanting to wimp ... err ... pull out of the series is dead?

we pulled out of a series with ASU not too long ago.

SoonerFrance
2/7/2006, 09:23 AM
Where's Baylor?

tnraider1
2/7/2006, 09:26 AM
Well the schedule is quite favorable. Bring it home boys!!!

SoonerStormchaser
2/7/2006, 09:29 AM
Where's Baylor?

In Waco...

Mac94
2/7/2006, 09:32 AM
WOW, they did move the oSu game to Thanksgiving weekend!!! When I asked if that was possible awhile back, no one thought that it would happen. Finishing with four out of five on the road could be interesting.

RacerX
2/7/2006, 09:38 AM
Must destroy Washington.

Seamus
2/7/2006, 09:49 AM
Your point is valid. MTSU may not be a midmajor power like Boise State or Fresno State, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of them knocking off one or two good teams in the last few years.

Here's a snippet from the MTSU Athletics site:
The last time Middle Tennessee faced a team from the Big 12 was during the 2003 season when it traveled to Missouri. The Blue Raiders went to overtime against the No. 23 Tigers before falling, 41-40.

I don't think that's going to end up meaning much. Missouri with a No. 23 ranking really doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. Missouri has a habit of playing East Popcorn States very poorly. See "Troy State, loss" ... Conversely, they often play up to their opponents' abilities when facing a power.

NickZeppelin
2/7/2006, 10:43 AM
OU/OSU all time record in games after Thanksgiving

44-9-5

OU's won nearly 80% of the games played in the series after Thanksgiving

NickZeppelin
2/7/2006, 10:46 AM
That stat includes 15-2 in the last 40 years.

Octavian
2/7/2006, 10:56 AM
OU/OSU all time record in games after Thanksgiving

44-9-5

Isnt that more than half of their overall wins in the series?

NickZeppelin
2/7/2006, 10:57 AM
Yep. The game was played a lot after Thanksgiving in before the Mid 70's.

John Kochtoston
2/8/2006, 12:08 AM
we pulled out of a series with ASU not too long ago.

IIRC, though, the ASU series got scrubbed because we wanted to move the Norman game to an even year to compensate for the saxeT game, not because we were shaking in our boots.

Paperclip
2/8/2006, 12:32 AM
anything

Best user name ever!:D