PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fly Fish?

SoonerWood
2/6/2006, 01:24 PM
I'm considering getting into this type of fishing - I've never tried it before. First off, what's the big deal with fly fishing? I mean - what's the draw?

Is there's some advantage to fly fishing over baitcasting and spinning that I haven't considered?

I don't get it yet, maybe someone can 'splain it?

How much $$$ is needed to get into a decent outfit?

Partial Qualifier
2/6/2006, 01:38 PM
No advantages, just a different way to fish. Normally you're flying for trout, which spook easily so it takes a different, more thought-out approach. Definitely takes more patience unless you often fish in the Dead Sea or something and are used to going hours between bites.

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 01:39 PM
I've dabbled with it but was never extremely serious. My attraction is that unlike baitcasting which does take some skill, using a fly rod is quite different because the weight of the line and the fly is all that you are casting and presenting to the fish. It takes a while to really make an accurate cast/presentation to a very shy fish in crystal clear water but when you do and the trout or game fish take your small offering then the fight is on and using the lighter rod with lightweight fly and tippit it can last a while. You can't overpower a fish with a fly rod you have to finnesse it and tire the fish so that it does'nt break off. Another reason I like flyfishing is the waters and locations you are fishing are generally mountainous, rocky and beautiful.

handcrafted
2/6/2006, 01:54 PM
I've tried a few times, but it's difficult to get the string to stay on tight enough, and there's usually not enough wind to get them airborne unless you've got like a really small trout. Forget using catfish or largemouth bass.

SoonerWood
2/6/2006, 02:46 PM
So how much $$$ to get into some gear that I won't regret later?

I usually like to buy once and cry once.

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 03:50 PM

If your'e just starting I think you can probaly get a pretty good fly rod for around $100.00 in a 4 or 6 weight. The fly reel would be around $50.00 to $100.00 and the line, backing, tippett would probably cost you another $30.00 to $50.00 together. So your'e looking at around $ 250.00 to
$300.00 to get started with a pretty good rod and reel. Check some of the Cabela's or Orvis catalogs because they have some pretty good combo's at decent prices. Good Luck!

soonerbrat
2/6/2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.kaiho.mlit.go.jp/05kanku/kochi/image/Flying%20Fish-1.gif

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 04:36 PM
Oh and your'e welcome.......btw.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/6/2006, 06:39 PM
Biggest advantage is when the fish are far from you, you don't waste time reeling in all the line(unless you have a fish hooked).After you have worked the lure(artificial fly) or worm through the target area, you lift it out of the water, then cast it back into the target area. I'ts also lots of fun to fight the fish on a long, willowy rod, particularly if it's graphite.

MojoRisen
2/6/2006, 07:29 PM
The advantage is fish will eat flys all day long, maybe on one crayfish - flys all day...

I fly fish for Small Mouth Bass &/ Trout and just strip a wholly booerger spl? Fly and it is an absolute blast pullin in a 2 pound smallie on a fly rod. Also top water flies are a thing of beauty to get a fish to rise and hit a popper or dry fly.

It is pretty relaxing- if you have enough room to cast- w/o getting hung up.

It takes some time to get used to casting- but with some practice you are good to go..

a 2 pound small mouth can run to the real at least 2-3 times- takes about 5 full minutes to land.. Where as on a spin or bait cast you can bull dog a lot more.

Zbird
2/6/2006, 07:33 PM

One word "Cabelas.com"

Buy a bottom of the line rod 7' -8' abt. $40 and a Cabela's graphite (very light weight) reel abt $25-30 a vest $ 20-25, a sample assortment of flies ($25) half a dozen fly leaders (9 ft with 2 1/2 lb tip) $18-20 and a roll of flourescent yellow or green floating line (level or tapered) ($20) set of inexpensive waders from Wally world - $25 and a how-to fly-fishing video from Cabelas or LL Bean. and you're set.

Don't let people sell you the hype and mystique. I enjoy fly fishing so much I hardly ever use a spinning rod anymore. Catching sunfish or small trout on a fly rod are as much fun as big fish on a spinning rod. Meat fishing can be another matter.

I've fished with expensive gear and bottom-of-the-line and my favorite rod is a $28.00 graphite 8' with a Martin automatic reel or a Cabela's 789 graphite reel.

The elitists would probably turn up their already turned up noses, but it's always produced well for me.

If you only have a choice of 1 fly for trout use an Adam's #16, a Royal Coachman, or a renegade.

That's everything I know.

Happy fishing! and keep your rod tip up.

OU-HSV
2/6/2006, 08:35 PM
I've never fly fished..but I think it would be cool to get in knee or waist deep in a stream or river and give it a shot. I've always used berkley power eggs for trout (kinda the lazy way to catch'em).

Tailwind
2/6/2006, 10:01 PM
Hell, I don't even fly kites. :D

OUAndy1807
7/8/2007, 07:44 PM
anyone else gotten into fly fishing since the first life of this thread? I'm thinking about picking it up.

soonerbrat
7/8/2007, 08:24 PM
no, i'm sticking with noodling.

phead903
7/8/2007, 09:07 PM
Since I have been deep sea fishing in the Keys the last few years, I really want to try fly fishing on the flats for bone fish and/or tarpon...maybe next year!

Zbird
7/8/2007, 09:48 PM
no, i'm sticking with noodling.

Thought I might try that but I think I have too many teeth. Besides that, when I get in that cold water my noodle shrinks up.

LoyalFan
7/9/2007, 07:12 AM
I've been a sporadic flyfisherman since age 12. It's the most aesthetically appealing form of angling, if that matters, and it's one effort where you look cool even if you're gettting skunked.
Some of my fondest fishing memories are of catching lots of big and tasty sunfish on a small popping bug, using a 6-weight rig. Then there was my "personal best" largemouth bass, eight pounds-four ounces, caught (then released) on that same rig, fishing from a tiny pedal-powered boat salvaged from some park's junk pile and restored.
I still flyfish a bit, using a Loomis 9' #8 weight system, and either "Bug Taper" or "Sinking Tip" line and tapered leaders (Mono for surface stuff and fluorocarbon for streamers and the like.)
I've caught Speckled Sea "Trout" and Redfish on the Texas Coastal Flats, Bass in various lakes, and even a 12 lb. Channel Catfish that decided to eat a fly...Wowzer!
For all that, I still have that old Fenwick graphite #6 and a little box of popping bugs. In truth, catching those tasty Bluegill, Shellcrackers (AKA RedEars), and the occasional small bass on that rig is the best!
I'd say that one can get a reasonable start for mebbe 300-400 bux, but I'd recommend you seek a qualified instructor and let him help you in the selection and purchase of your tackle based on the type of flyfishing (target species, environment, etc.) you hope to enjoy. Lessons are worth the time and money, believe me.
Get on the 'net and find a flyfishing club...they'll help you.

LF

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/9/2007, 10:55 AM
Get yourself a nice handline, about 300# test, and a 10/0 hook. Bait it up with a 2# bass, and drop it down onto a grouper infested reef. Hang on, and pull as hard as you can!