PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Odds?

Mjcpr
2/6/2006, 12:02 PM
Teen Saves Life Of Woman Who Once Saved His

Here's a story you may need to hear twice to believe. A local teen saved the life of the same woman who saved his life years earlier.

Seven years ago, Lancaster's Kevin Stephan was a bat boy for his little brother's little-league baseball team. During one game, an errant ball hit him in the chest. His heart stopped beating. Fortunately, a nurse whose son played on that team was able to revive Stephan and save his life.

Stephan's mother said he was extremely fortunate. The nurse was supposed to be at work that night, but was given the day off at the last minute.

But here's the amazing part of the story.

Last week that same nurse was eating at the Hillview Restaurant in Depew, when she began to choke on her food. Witnesses say patrons were screaming for someone to help her. One of the restaurant employees, who knew the Heimlich Maneuver, ran out from the back and saved the woman's life.

It turns out the employee was 17-year-old Kevin Stephan, the same boy whose life the woman saved seven years ago. She saved his life, and years later he saved hers.

Stephan's family said he received life-saving training as a Junior Firefighter at the Bowmansville Volunteer Fire Association. The man who trained Stephan, Dan Curtis, said he was trained by the American Red Cross.

"He called to thank me for teaching him what I taught him in order to be able to do what he did at the restaurant," Curtis said. "It was just incredible. And as an instructor you can't get a better compliment than that when somebody in the civilian world takes what they learn in a four-hour C.P.R. class and actually uses it to save someone's life."

Ironically, Stephan was not scheduled to work that day, but volunteered to come in because he had the day off from school, according to Curtis.

The Red Cross plans is planning an award presentation for Stephan, hoping to point to the amazing story as a means of spreading awareness for the necessity of life-saving training. Stephan is also a life-long Boy Scout. The scouts said they're planning a similar award ceremony for the young hero.

WGRZ confirmed this incredible story with the both the boy's family and the Red Cross, but were not able to arrange an on-camera interview with him or the woman. We promise to keep trying.

http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=46528

colleyvillesooner
2/6/2006, 12:05 PM
at least 20-1.

critical_phil
2/6/2006, 12:08 PM
he's like jerry......everything evens out.

Pieces Hit
2/6/2006, 12:17 PM
Oh that's so awesome.
I can't tell you how touched I am by that story.
I will send it to everyone I know and then stand on the curb distributing flyers.
This story has so changed my life.
I hope they give this pair a movie deal so they can get the reward they truly deserve and we can learn all the details of their miraculous bond of courage.
I can't thank you enough.
I am a better person for having read this.
Wait till I tell my wife.
Wow. Just wow.

yermom
2/6/2006, 12:20 PM
crazy.

i took one of those classes once, never even been close to needing it

1stTimeCaller
2/6/2006, 12:22 PM
he's like jerry......everything evens out.

Evan Stephan?

salth2o
2/6/2006, 02:37 PM
17 million to 1

BajaOklahoma
2/6/2006, 10:42 PM
February is heart month. Learn CPR for the benefit of the one you love.
Most of the fire stations offer classes for a very reasonable cost. The two organizations most involved with teaching CPR to the public, the American Heart Assoc and the American Red Cross, just changed the guidelines to make it easilier and more effective. Within two years, we expect the mouth-to-mouth recommendation to be eliminated.

Hey, if I can teach it, you can learn it.

OUinFLA
2/6/2006, 11:06 PM
February is heart month. Learn CPR for the benefit of the one you love.
Most of the fire stations offer classes for a very reasonable cost. The two organizations most involved with teaching CPR to the public, the American Heart Assoc and the American Red Cross, just changed the guidelines to make it easilier and more effective. Within two years, we expect the mouth-to-mouth recommendation to be eliminated.

Hey, if I can teach it, you can learn it.

Could I interest you in pounding on my chest? oh, and some mouth-to-mouth might help too.

Tailwind
2/7/2006, 09:01 AM
I need a refresher course......can't remenmber any of what I learned the first time. Thank God I've never been called upon to use it.

BoomerJack
2/7/2006, 10:03 AM
I saw this story on the news last night and, yes, it's pretty incredible.

The local morning rag I read this A.M. said all this happened in the Buffalo, NY area. The only way it would be more freakish, so to speak, would be if the second incident happened in, say, St. Louis, Mo. or somewhere else a considerable distance from Buffalo. NY.