PDA

View Full Version : So Joe Montana succs?

TexasLidig8r
2/6/2006, 10:25 AM
So, before the game, there is the parade of Super Bowl MVPs... 4 are missing.

The late Harvey Martin.. deceased a few years ago.

Jake Scott.. traveling in Australia...

Terry Bradshaw... wanting to be with family????? :confused:

Then, there's the case of Joe Montana.. the only 3 time Super Bowl MVP... missing in action. His excuse? The NFL wouldn't pay him enough guaranteed money to appear... apparently, he was schlepping for $100,000.00. The other MVPS got... tickets to the game, hotel paid for, a caddy to drive around town, invitations to the Commissioner's Ball and a $1,000.00 spending cash. If true, and it certainly looks like it is.. Joe Montana.. you succ.. bad.. real bad.

soonerlaw
2/6/2006, 10:31 AM
Agreed. Total classless move by one of the greatest fooball players of all time.

mrowl
2/6/2006, 10:33 AM
greedy bastage...

Octavian
2/6/2006, 10:33 AM
I noticed that too....I thought for sure he'd be the honorary coin flipper but he was a no-show :confused:

BillyBall
2/6/2006, 10:36 AM
I noticed that too....I thought for sure he'd be the honorary coin flipper but he was a no-show :confused:

According to Mike Greenberg, he was supposed to be the flipper until he wasn't going to get the guaranteed coin.

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 10:36 AM
Agree or disagree with this one decision. There isn't a single QB I'd rather have in the playoffs or Super Bowl on my team than Joe Montana. And it isn't even close.

caphorns
2/6/2006, 10:39 AM
Dead on BRR. So is he short for spending cash? I thought Montana made enough in endorsements alone to last several lifetimes?

Instant
2/6/2006, 10:41 AM
You guys put to much stock into what espn says.

They said it was all about money from what they heard.

Get that heard. They didn't hear in directly from Joe and they didn't hear it directly from Bradshaw.

Espn said it was all about money and it was classless. Then they bring in the guy from Cold Pizza and go into a 30 second commercial about this guy being brought to you by "On-Star" blah blah blah blah blah.

Now was that not about money too?

We may never know what the real reason was but if they don't dig up dirt or try to they have no show.

I have never like espn for their news. Like their sports in HD but there typical spin on negatives.

Watch espn again and tell me how many "good stories" they have. Then tell me how many negative stories they have.

Huge difference in numbers.

Right now on the college board there are 7 stories under the "Head lines"

3 of them are negative. Almost half!

Octavian
2/6/2006, 10:42 AM
Agree or disagree with this one decision. There isn't a single QB I'd rather have in the playoffs or Super Bowl on my team than Joe Montana. And it isn't even close.

longhorn gdc
2/6/2006, 10:45 AM
Ha ha, that's rich, a metrosexual sports car driving money hungry litigator dissing someone for being greedy.

You're joking, right?

Octavian
2/6/2006, 10:56 AM
this new guy reminds me of someone...

longhorn gdc
2/6/2006, 10:57 AM
my god, you are a beating....jesus, give it a friggin rest

Is this in English?

The boss said as long as it's not a personal attack or in violation of board rules, it's fair game.

TexasLidig8r
2/6/2006, 11:09 AM
Is this in English?

The boss said as long as it's not a personal attack or in violation of board rules, it's fair game.

Actually.. it could be construed as a personal attack. Time to put you on ignore as well... You simply aren't worth the energy or effort and I would be lowering myself if I did. That would lead to severe character flaws such as.. welching on bets, and losing the respect of many, many people because of such conduct.. so... click...ignore...

As for the "rumors" regarding Montana... it's being reported in the San Francisco Chronicle and other newsrags as well... if NOT true, Montana had best do damage control by coming out with a statement regarding the "real reason."

Harry Beanbag
2/6/2006, 11:17 AM
Actually.. it could be construed as a personal attack. Time to put you on ignore as well... You simply aren't worth the energy or effort and I would be lowering myself if I did. That would lead to severe character flaws such as.. welching on bets, and losing the respect of many, many people because of such conduct.. so... click...ignore...

As for the "rumors" regarding Montana... it's being reported in the San Francisco Chronicle and other newsrags as well... if NOT true, Montana had best do damage control by coming out with a statement regarding the "real reason."

He should just say he was filming another FedEx commercial.

soonerlaw
2/6/2006, 02:55 PM
Speaking of quarterbacks, weren't Joe Namath and Suzi Kolber in the house at the same time?

Beef
2/6/2006, 03:10 PM
Speaking of quarterbacks, weren't Joe Namath and Suzi Kolber in the bathroom at the same time?
Joe wishes.

wishbonesooner
2/6/2006, 03:45 PM
Too bad, who knows when another group like that would be together. He missed a chance at a very special photo op.

longhorn gdc
2/6/2006, 03:59 PM

No, not a personal attack, just a commentary on the irony of an attorney commenting on someone else's greed.

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 05:11 PM
If Montana is bad for not being there what does that say about Terry Bradshaw?

BillyBall
2/6/2006, 05:15 PM
If Montana is bad for not being there what does that say about Terry Bradshaw?

Shhhhhh!!! He'll get depressed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/6/2006, 06:03 PM
So, before the game, there is the parade of Super Bowl MVPs... 4 are missing

Terry Bradshaw... wanting to be with family????? :confused:

Then, there's the case of Joe Montana.. the only 3 time Super Bowl MVP... missing in action. His excuse? The NFL wouldn't pay him enough guaranteed money to appear... apparently, he was schlepping for $100,000.00. The other MVPS got... tickets to the game, hotel paid for, a caddy to drive around town, invitations to the Commissioner's Ball and a $1,000.00 spending cash. If true, and it certainly looks like it is.. Joe Montana.. you succ.. bad.. real bad.:) The correctness of my values is confirmed. A whorn attorney is a step up from a ******* domer.

BajaOklahoma
2/6/2006, 06:58 PM
I heard Montana stayed home to watch an important game for his son.....
If that is true, there will be witnesses to the event. If not .......

mrowl
2/6/2006, 07:12 PM
I heard Montana stayed home to watch an important game for his son.....
If that is true, there will be witnesses to the event. If not .......

he told this to cold pizza, but every other news outlet is saying the otherwise

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 07:36 PM
he told this to cold pizza, but every other news outlet is saying the otherwiseI trust Joe more than any other news outlet.

It isn't like his former team was playing, ahem, Bradshaw

mrowl
2/6/2006, 07:44 PM
I trust Joe more than any other news outlet.

It isn't like his former team was playing, ahem, Bradshaw

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

To sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/06/SPG9QH3GD91.DTL

Big Red Ron
2/6/2006, 07:47 PM
WHat was Terry's excuse?

mrowl
2/6/2006, 07:49 PM
WHat was Terry's excuse?

his story is family, but the NFL reported it was money.

mrowl
2/6/2006, 07:51 PM
Almost forgot...

The NFL sure did crap all over Harvey Martin's grave. They didn't even mention him.

PrideTrombone
2/6/2006, 09:08 PM
No, not a personal attack, just a commentary on the irony of an attorney commenting on someone else's greed.

Isn't the owner of this board an attorney?

GDC
2/6/2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, but he's a Sooner, and not an ambulance chaser, either.

WestAustinSooner
2/7/2006, 10:14 AM
Never had much respect for anyone who is a devout believer in a cult.

Beef
2/7/2006, 10:19 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. If this was some charity event, it would be boorish behavior, but it was a Super bowl appearance. They valued time away from their family at a certain amount, and the NFL said no. I don't get the big pity-party for the NFL.

BudSooner
2/7/2006, 10:46 AM
his story is family, but the NFL reported it was money.

Born September 2, 1948, Bradshaw currently maintains residences in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona. He has two daughters, Rachel and Erin.

http://www.fitzbradshaw.com/bradshaw.html

Hmmm, didn't know about that.

achiro
2/7/2006, 11:43 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. If this was some charity event, it would be boorish behavior, but it was a Super bowl appearance. They valued time away from their family at a certain amount, and the NFL said no. I don't get the big pity-party for the NFL.
I totally agree. Whats in it for him? Maybe all the travel and football experience is just not worth it to him. He wanted to make it worth it to him. If a hundred grand was what it would take then more power to him for staying home.

Instant
2/7/2006, 11:48 AM
Montana chose to be with family
Ex-49ers QB defends spurning pregame ceremony

Kevin Lynch, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 7, 2006

"To me, it's more important to be home with my boys." -- ...

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana on Monday defended his decision to decline an invitation to be a part of a Super Bowl pregame ceremony with past Super Bowl MVPs.

The Chronicle cited two league sources in Monday's editions saying that the three-time Super Bowl MVP wanted at least $100,000 in order to appear. The NFL offered two tickets to the game, hotel accommodations, weekend car rental, tickets to three NFL parties, $1,000 spending money and first-class airfare.

The office of Peter Johnson, Montana's agent at IMG, sent out a statement in response to the media fervor prompted by The Chronicle report.

"Joe Montana was in Detroit for Super Bowl activities on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday prior to the game, but always had planned to return home before the weekend to be with his family," the statement read. "He fulfilled his promise to attend son Nathaniel's basketball game on Friday night and son Nicholas' game on Sunday, and then be home with his family to watch the Super Bowl."

Montana expounded on that statement on ESPN's "Quite Frankly with Stephen A. Smith." Smith reached Montana by phone at Montana's Santa Rosa home Monday.

"To me, it's more important to be home with my boys," Montana told Smith. "The Super Bowl is a great event, but I've moved on with my life."

Montana expressed regret that he wasn't around enough during his playing days to attend events by his two eldest daughters, Alexandra, 20, and Elizabeth, 19.

"When I was playing, I missed my two girls' (events)," Montana said. "They look up (in the stands) and myself and my wife are not there. I want to be there for the boys." Nathanial is 16 and Nicholas is 13.

When Smith asked why league sources would leak information about Montana's inability to attend, Montana said, "People were trying to find ways to make me want to stay. I try to appease everyone, but it's impossible."

When asked directly by Smith if he had asked the NFL for appearance money, Montana said no.

He went to Detroit to promote a drug that controls his high blood pressure. He said that CNN moved up an interview on Thursday night, so he could catch his plane Friday.

Montana was asked by the NFL to be a part of a pregame presentation with all of the surviving Super Bowl MVPs. Montana, former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw and former Dolphins defensive back Jake Scott (who was vacationing in Australia) didn't show up.

Reports, including one in The Chronicle, said money was also an issue with Bradshaw. Bradshaw has said that he had family obligations.

Briefly: A 49ers spokesman said that the team hasn't offered a deal to Seattle executive Mike Reinfeldt or anyone else. The Chronicle quoted several sources Sunday who believed that Reinfeldt had been offered a job as the team's president.

2/7/2006, 11:51 AM
I totally agree. Whats in it for him? Maybe all the travel and football experience is just not worth it to him. He wanted to make it worth it to him. If a hundred grand was what it would take then more power to him for staying home.As much as the NFL has meant for Montana, one would think he would want to be there. In addition, you would think he wouldn't want to look the mercenary that he apparently is.:P

Instant
2/7/2006, 12:09 PM
He coached Notre Dame in their Blue and Gold game this past spring.

His request....

He asked to coach the blue team.

Harry Beanbag
2/7/2006, 12:16 PM
He coached Notre Dame in their Blue and Gold game this past spring.

His request....

He asked to coach the blue team.

And then...:confused:

SoonerAtKU
2/7/2006, 01:37 PM
And then...:confused:

He stole the gold paint from off of the helmets.

xyz890
2/8/2006, 03:42 PM
Joe Montana is a first class person.

He has always be pretty low key both on the field and in his personal life. He does many things for his community, but never seeks attention for his contributions. At this point in his life, he has put his family ahead of the NFL. One of Joe's stated regrets is missing out on so much of his girls (now 20 and 19) lives while the were growing up and he was playing in the NFL. He has vowed not to do the same with his sons (16 and 13).

Joe Montana was in Detroit for Wednesday through Friday morning of Super Bowl week doing NFL events. He always had planned to return home before the weekend to be with his family. He had promised to attend son Nathaniel’s basketball game on Friday night and son Nicholas’ Pop Warner game on Sunday. A parent whose son is on football team with Nicholas confirms he was indeed there on Sunday.

If niners or chiefs were playing in Super Bowl, I'm sure he would have been there. But it was Pittsburgh and Seattle.

GDC
2/8/2006, 04:39 PM
Joe Montana is a first class person.

He has always be pretty low key both on the field and in his personal life. He does many things for his community, but never seeks attention for his contributions. At this point in his life, he has put his family ahead of the NFL. One of Joe's stated regrets is missing out on so much of his girls (now 20 and 19) lives while the were growing up and he was playing in the NFL. He has vowed not to do the same with his sons (16 and 13).

Joe Montana was in Detroit for Wednesday through Friday morning of Super Bowl week doing NFL events. He always had planned to return home before the weekend to be with his family. He had promised to attend son Nathaniel’s basketball game on Friday night and son Nicholas’ Pop Warner game on Sunday. A parent whose son is on football team with Nicholas confirms he was indeed there on Sunday.

If niners or chiefs were playing in Super Bowl, I'm sure he would have been there. But it was Pittsburgh and Seattle.

You have to consider the source of the criticism in the first place, as in who started the thread.

Texas Golfer
2/9/2006, 12:26 AM
Although Montana disputes the $100,000 story, he shouldn't have to defend his decision to remain home for family issues.

I'm losing any respect for the NFL by the leaks in this story (which shouldn't even be a story) and their defense of their officials in the Super Bowl without even initiating an investigation as to all of the bad calls against one team and nary a flag against the other.

2/9/2006, 01:11 AM
He's still a domer...pfffft