PDA

View Full Version : The fix is in!!!!

tbl
2/5/2006, 07:50 PM
F the Steelers and F these sorry refs!!! I've been blown away by the BS calls. The interference call that took away Seattles TD, the bogus holding call on the big kick off return, and the Texas Tech-esque TD call by Big Bens stretch. HORRIBLE!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 07:52 PM
I've already mentioned this in the "official" thread.

No doubt, the fix is in.

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2006, 07:55 PM
I can definitely tell who the refs want to win.

That was an incredibly weak PI call against Jackson and Big Ben was not in.

tbl
2/5/2006, 07:58 PM
The momentum has switched.... Seattle's D has gotta do force a 3 and out on the opening possession, then the O needs to put up a TD. This game is really ****ing me off....

Holmgren is ****ed at the refs, and rightly so. They gotta vent that in the right way and come out swinging. Dang it!!!!

I know there's an official thread, but this topic merits a separate discussion all of its own. We're all familiar with fixed games (Lubbock), but I can't imagine it happening on this level.... even though it is.

okiedead
2/5/2006, 08:08 PM
The big dog official in NFL HQ will consult with the field officials, accept their excuses and Pittsburgh wins. For an example, TT has an official win while losing.

Spray
2/5/2006, 08:27 PM
Go Steelers.

Spray
2/5/2006, 08:34 PM
I think they should review that last play cause I don't think Seattle's defense was on the field.

tbl
2/5/2006, 08:36 PM
Now THAT had nothing to do with the refs... Momentum-Steelers. Game over?

Spray
2/5/2006, 08:37 PM
Nah. LOOOOONG way to go in this one. Seattle's offense is more than capable.

sooner518
2/5/2006, 09:24 PM
Hasselbeck throws an INt, then while making the tackle, he gets flagged for a 15 yard "block below the waist". How is this possible? The Seahawks are getting screwed

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2006, 09:25 PM
The dude was trying to make a f***ing tackle!!!

This game has officially become a farce. :mad:

boomersooner28
2/5/2006, 09:27 PM
NFL becoming Heavyweight Boxing? Looks like it to me.

tbl
2/5/2006, 09:28 PM
The fix is back on. This is amazing. Did ya notice the horse collar on Alexander that went uncalled?

OklahomaTrombone
2/5/2006, 09:34 PM
They haven't called a horse collar all year

Newbomb Turk
2/5/2006, 09:35 PM
First the "hold" on the pass play down to the 2 yard line.
Then, If you have a horsecollar rule - call it.
Finally the call on Hasselbeck trying to tackle the guy!?

Biggest bunch of horsecrap I've seen since the Tech game. But these refs are suppose to be the best of the best. They've done a horrible job in this game IMO.

OklahomaTrombone
2/5/2006, 09:38 PM
That didn't meet the requirements to be a horse collar. He wasn't immeadiately brought down by the defender.

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2006, 09:39 PM
They need to either clarify the horsecollar rule, or get rid of it.

There seems to be so many extra and confusing provisions with the rule that it seems that it's hardly worth even having.

Especially if they never call it.

Spray
2/5/2006, 09:42 PM
Since the conspiracy theory is out there, somebody give me a rundown on why the NFL wants Pittsburgh to win. I mean, why not Seattle?

GrapevineSooner
2/5/2006, 09:44 PM
Because they feel the need to repay them after the debacle in Indy, I guess.

Seriously, I don't know if it's intentional. But Pittsburgh has been the beneficiary of several questionable calls.

okiedead
2/5/2006, 09:48 PM
Ever hear of Las Vegas

Spray
2/5/2006, 09:49 PM
I don't disagree.

Of course, for me, this soothes the pain of the Debacle in Lawrence. So I guess, if this holds up I'm 1 for 2 on the day.

bluedogok
2/5/2006, 09:50 PM
They need to either clarify the horsecollar rule, or get rid of it.

There seems to be so many extra and confusing provisions with the rule that it seems that it's hardly worth even having.

Especially if they never call it.Hey, just like all of the "new" laws the congress and state legislators pass every year.

It seems every key call has gone against Seattle whenever possible, phantom holding calls, a push off that never gets called and a tackle called a low block, all I have to say is WTF?

I have pretty much quit watching basketball because of the officiating, football is getting real close to that point :(

Inconsistant officiating is ruining sports in general, we really shouldn't know the names of officials like we do......

Spray
2/5/2006, 09:50 PM
Ever hear of Las Vegas

Well, if that's the argument I might as well assume every sporting event on the planet is potentially tainted.

Ground_Attack
2/5/2006, 09:51 PM
Pittsburg is a media darling. Seattle doesn't have the following to make money. That's why Pittsburg is better for the NFL.

OklahomaTrombone
2/5/2006, 09:54 PM
Inconsistant officiating is ruining sports in general, we really shouldn't know the names of officials like we do......

Ed Hochuli is my hero.

okiedead
2/5/2006, 09:55 PM
Spray,
You can when it's this obvious

Spray
2/5/2006, 09:57 PM
Spray,
You can when it's this obvious

I guess I have to write a few Thank Yous to the Vegas powers that be, then.;)

okiedead
2/5/2006, 10:05 PM
Pete Rose, Paul Hornung, Willie Mays, etc, they all have the fix in

Sooner47
2/5/2006, 10:23 PM
NFL at work again. Cowher has paid his dues in the NFL without a Superbowl ring yet. Thus, it's his turn and the NFL will make sure it happens. Holmgren has his ring so Pittsburg must win.

boomer in clear lake
2/5/2006, 10:25 PM
Also count the number of Steeler lineman downfield on the shuffle pass that got them a first down with about six minutes left. Officiating was terrible but I would feel a lot worse if Seattle had not played like garbage: dropped passes, high school clock management, safeties out of postion...

okiedead
2/5/2006, 10:28 PM
Wait til Holmgren sees the replays of all the phantom calls, td, holding, pass interference, penalty for tackling, he has a temper

tbl
2/5/2006, 10:29 PM
The reason they want the Steelers to win is b/c of the great stories that come out of it. Obviously the Bus is the feel good story of the year, plus you have the coach with the longest active tenure with a team that finally won the big one. Not to mention the Steelers are an NFL staple and it is always good to get a championship to a staple like the Steelers. They also have one of the most loyal and widespread followings in the NFL. The Seahawks winning doesn't really have anything good about it.

RacerX
2/5/2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah Steelers!

rainiersooner
2/5/2006, 10:39 PM
Since the conspiracy theory is out there, somebody give me a rundown on why the NFL wants Pittsburgh to win. I mean, why not Seattle?

Bigger tv market.

White House Boy
2/5/2006, 10:47 PM
It was, by far, the worst all around officiated NFL game I have ever witnessed.... but I wonder, did the refs give the game to the Steelers, or did Seatle's tight end (Jerramy Stevens) give it to them. How many dropped passes did that dude have, anyway?

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 10:47 PM
That game was a farce. The refs threw a flag on EVERY big time play that Seattle had.

Like someone said above, after the assrape the Sooners took by the officials in Lawrence, I might stop watching the NFL just like I have college hoops.

I don't pay to see the refs throw hankies and determine the outcome of the game, I pay to see players play.

SoonerBorn68
2/5/2006, 11:04 PM
After "Big Ben" didn't make the TD I decided to turn off the TV. No use watching more bad calls today.

Cowher has his Super Bowl & in about 6 months everyone will forget the astericks of this game.

bluedogok
2/5/2006, 11:05 PM
I don't pay to see the refs wave TERRIBLE TOWELS and determine the outcome of the game, I pay to see players play.There, fixed that for you......

tbl
2/5/2006, 11:28 PM
Cowher has his Super Bowl & in about 6 months everyone will forget the astericks of this game.

I don't know. You watch the highlight of that first "TD", and it's pretty obvious. I wonder how the sports clumnists are going to treat it tomorrow. If they even mention it at all...

Collier11
2/6/2006, 01:21 AM
I do agree that the refs sucked tonight but the ben roobeyburger play WAS a touchdown, while he was still in the air the tip of the ball went over the white line before he was knocked back and that is all that matters

Norhtwah
2/6/2006, 09:36 AM
I am so glad the Steelers won but I do agree that Seattle got screwed!!!!

NormanPride
2/6/2006, 09:58 AM
This is hilarious. I agree there were a couple bad calls, but is that the reason Seattle's D collapsed after the first half? Is that the reason Hassleback couldn't complete a pass? The whining is incredible. Seattle played a crappy game, didn't put the ball in Alexander's hands enough, had a terrible defensive gameplan, and let the bad calls get to them.

FaninAma
2/6/2006, 10:10 AM
It seems funny that about the only time the refs called any calls were on big plays by Seattle. I guess the rest of the game their recievers(and Pittsburg's) didn't push off and the offensive linemen for either team didn't hold the rest of the gsame except on that one crucial play.

I read an article by a professional gambler who stated in the article that the timing of officials calls as much as anything could be taken as a strong indication that the game was fixed. I think the fact the refs essentially called a penalty free game except for the obvious early motion penalties by Pittsburg and the crucial calls on Seattle's scoring threats speaks volumes about the officiating.

Rhino
2/6/2006, 12:08 PM
I didn't think the officiating was as bad as some are making it out to be.

The chop block call was bad, no doubt.

The offensive PI was not. He pushed the DB back about a yard to make that catch. Late call, but correct call.

Big Ben was in. I hadn't even heard anyone dispute that until this morning. At the watch party, everyone thought he was in.

On the Seahawks run back of one of Big Ben's INTs, there could have been a block in the back call on the Seahawks when they pushed Big Ben down.

If Stevens catches some of those six catches he dropped, the Seahawks may have had a fighting chance.

tbl
2/6/2006, 12:14 PM
Big Ben was not in. Even the old farts in the booth could see that.

The PI call WAS bad. He didn't push the guy at all. Watch the replay in slo-mo.

They didn't block BR in the back. He had him in the front and BR turned.

Agreed about Stevens. His one TD doesn't erase all the dropped balls...

mrowl
2/6/2006, 12:25 PM
the PI and the chop call were the worst of the game... Horrible. the WR and the CB was touching eachother, but not pushing. That was the perfect scenario for a no call.

NormanPride
2/6/2006, 12:37 PM

Really? I didn't hear them saying that. Plus, you have to have indisputable evidence that he wasn't in. I saw the ball hit the white line in slow motion, so that's good enough for me.

I did watch it in slow motion. The extended arm kept the defender from being in position. Classic push-off. It's not called normally, but when you do it two feet in front of a ref, it's hard to get away with, especially on a TD pass. And I don't even think the call was late, in slow motion, you see the ref going for the flag before the guy even hits the ground.

Dude, BB was running downfield ahead of the ballcarrier, and a guy pushed him down from behind. He would have had to be backpedaling for the seahawk player to be blocking him normally. A good no-call imo, since the ballcarrier was going down anyway.

Spray
2/6/2006, 03:22 PM
Bigger tv market.

http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv

Well there goes that theory.

GrapevineSooner
2/6/2006, 04:07 PM
IThe offensive PI was not. He pushed the DB back about a yard to make that catch. Late call, but correct call.

Then you could call that 30 times a game.

Big Ben was in. I hadn't even heard anyone dispute that until this morning. At the watch party, everyone thought he was in.

I don't have a problem with the call, per se. I just wonder how the linesman who made the call could have possibly seen the ball over the line when it looked like he was screened.

On the Seahawks run back of one of Big Ben's INTs, there could have been a block in the back call on the Seahawks when they pushed Big Ben down.

Ben was blocked from the side. It was not a block in the back.

If Stevens catches some of those six catches he dropped, the Seahawks may have had a fighting chance.

Fair point along with the two missed FG's and bad clock management at the end of both halves. Still doesn't excuse the horrible officiating.

Also, the play where the Seattle receiver got one foot in bounds while the other hit the pylon should have been ruled a touchdown (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1354105.html).

A player will be ruled in bounds if he touches the pylon at the goal line before going out of bounds. For example, a pass would be considered complete if one foot touches the pylon and the other foot is in bounds.

If Seattle had even gotten just one of these calls, the entire complexion of the game changes.

Bigger issue is the fact that the league couldn't get Super Bowl caliber officiating after some of the other horribly officiated playoff games in January. Something needs to be done about this.

OUthunder
2/6/2006, 04:21 PM
It seems funny that about the only time the refs called any calls were on big plays by Seattle. I guess the rest of the game their recievers(and Pittsburg's) didn't push off and the offensive linemen for either team didn't hold the rest of the gsame except on that one crucial play.

I read an article by a professional gambler who stated in the article that the timing of officials calls as much as anything could be taken as a strong indication that the game was fixed. I think the fact the refs essentially called a penalty free game except for the obvious early motion penalties by Pittsburg and the crucial calls on Seattle's scoring threats speaks volumes about the officiating.

B-I-N-G-O!

Spray
2/6/2006, 04:38 PM
Also, the play where the Seattle receiver got one foot in bounds while the other hit the pylon should have been ruled a touchdown (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1354105.html).

I couldn't believe Holmgren didn't toss the red flag on that one. I think he would have won that challenge.

Scott D
2/6/2006, 07:07 PM

Newsflash, Ben doesn't have to be in, the ball has to break that real fat white line with any portion of it. The ball broke the plane, the ruling was correct.

The call was correct, he pushed off. It didn't look as bad because the DB's momentum was carrying him in that direction in the first place. And that call should be called a hell of a lot more often, receivers get a free pass way too much.

It was a marginal call depending on the angle, at least one angle it looked like he was blocked in the back, they didn't call it..big deal.

Agreed about Stevens. His one TD doesn't erase all the dropped balls...

As it was put on the radio up here today, if you call the PI call 'correctly' which would be to flag BOTH Jackson and the DB for PI, what indication did the Seahawks ever give you that they were going to put up anything more than 3 points that drive?

It wasn't the officials that made the Seahawks kicker miss what? 3 field goal attempts? Even if you take away Ben's TD, what does Pittsburgh do then go for it on 4th down inside the 1 ft line or kick a field goal, let's go with the 'safe' answer and say the FG...so they win 17-10 instead of 21-10.

Seattle had other chances, and Stevens especially killed them on more than one occasion. However if you want the real telling thing of how Seattle shot itself in the foot 5-17 on 3rd down conversions, Pittsburgh was at near 50%....in the last 2 minutes of each half I would have swore that team was wearing blue and silver with a blue lion on the helmet instead of a bird head.

jk the sooner fan
2/6/2006, 07:45 PM
i watched that Big Ben touchdown a number of times and here's what i remember seeing

he dives for the goal line......his HELMET crosses the line (not completely, just about half of the line), as he tucks the ball under his arm.........after he's down he has to pull the ball out from under his gut and stretch it across the goal line

obviously that last stretch is not what gave him the touchdown........but he wasnt carrying the ball up at his head, it was below his shoulder.....under his arm, probably closer to his stomach.......which was on about the 2 yard line

no way that ball crossed the line on the initial dive

Spray
2/6/2006, 08:46 PM
Ben actually had the ball in his arm up under his face (like when you lay your head down on a desk resting in your arms). His forearm cradling the ball was knocked back by the tackle after it may or may not have grazed the plane.

usmc-sooner
2/6/2006, 10:19 PM
I was going for the Steelers because I'm a Hines Ward fan I also like the bus but the officials were bad.

bad to to the point where they influenced the game.

Push off call could have gone either way I thought it was an OK call

Big Ben was not in-sure they would have made it on the next play but still he didn't make it

The block below the knees on Hasselback swung the game heavily in the Steelers favor. May have won the game.

Then again Foyil's own Josh Brown was missing FG's granted they were long. Did Holmgren gameplan for the last minute or two of either half that was a joke. Had Ben not thrown a pic close to the goal line the game would have been over at that point.

I think they should have rode the bus a little more.

Texas Golfer
2/7/2006, 06:01 AM
The outcome of the game was determined long before the pre-game warmups.

jk the sooner fan
2/7/2006, 07:19 AM
Ben told Letterman last nite he didnt think he was in.....

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 10:07 AM
Ben told Letterman last nite he didnt think he was in.....

Well let's just take the trophy back and give it to the poor Seahawks. :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
2/7/2006, 10:10 AM
Well let's just take the trophy back and give it to the poor Seahawks. :rolleyes:

yes because thats exactly what i was implying :rolleyes:

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 10:28 AM
yes because thats exactly what i was implying :rolleyes:

Did I say you were? I'm implying that all this pointless whining makes no sense. Especially when he makes a comment on Letterman. I mean, come on! It's like saying "I can't believe that just happened!" Of course you believe it happened. If he said something like that on a sports show in a serious interview, I'd pay more attention.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
2/7/2006, 10:30 AM
we're simply having a discussion about a play, in the grand scheme of things i think we all realize that the outcome has been decided

yet somehow, as this is a public forum where.....things are discussed......its sort of what we do

regardless, did you see the interview last nite? or are you just assuming what he said was tongue in cheek........

i'm guessing you missed the part where he said he went over on the sideline and told Coach Cowher he didnt think he was in.....

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 10:31 AM
http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv

Well there goes that theory.
You need to take into account that the market exceeds just the local.

How many Steeler fans nationwide do you think there are versus Seahawks fans?

Most of those rooting for Seattle around here are just Cowboy fans that can't stand the Steelers.

OklahomaRed
2/7/2006, 10:47 AM
Did I say you were? I'm implying that all this pointless whining makes no sense. Especially when he makes a comment on Letterman. I mean, come on! It's like saying "I can't believe that just happened!" Of course you believe it happened. If he said something like that on a sports show in a serious interview, I'd pay more attention.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your missing the point. The discussion is NOT about taking the championship from Pittsburg. The discussion is about the fix being in, and the way to fix a game is through the officials. Bad calls and the right time can change the momentum of the game. Don't you think it's easier to catch a pass when you have a lead, than when you are trying to come from behind?

MOMENTUM is the name of the game, and the refs can easily influence it with a holding call here, and a pass interference call there.

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 10:58 AM
Your missing the point. The discussion is NOT about taking the championship from Pittsburg. The discussion is about the fix being in, and the way to fix a game is through the officials. Bad calls and the right time can change the momentum of the game. Don't you think it's easier to catch a pass when you have a lead, than when you are trying to come from behind?

MOMENTUM is the name of the game, and the refs can easily influence it with a holding call here, and a pass interference call there.

Okay, I'll concede the point to jk because I didn't see the interview. But this is silly. I really doubt if there was a fix that the people from Seattle would just sit there and take it. I also doubt that the Seattle players were affected by calls THAT much. Sure there's momentum, but how much of that do you produce yourself?

Face it. The Seahawks sucked in that game. The passing game was horrendous, the running game wasn't used enough, and the kicking game failed them at the most crucial of moments. That's not refs, that's crappy play. It didn't take me long to see that the Seahawks weren't in this one, no matter what the refs did.

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 11:03 AM
Okay, I'll concede the point to jk because I didn't see the interview. But this is silly. I really doubt if there was a fix that the people from Seattle would just sit there and take it. I also doubt that the Seattle players were affected by calls THAT much. Sure there's momentum, but how much of that do you produce yourself?

Face it. The Seahawks sucked in that game. The passing game was horrendous, the running game wasn't used enough, and the kicking game failed them at the most crucial of moments. That's not refs, that's crappy play. It didn't take me long to see that the Seahawks weren't in this one, no matter what the refs did.
You watched a different game than I did.

The receiving game sucked.

The Steelers were being manhandled but the score didn't reflect it early. The Steelers has a few big plays and let the refs do the rest.

NormanPride
2/7/2006, 11:14 AM
You watched a different game than I did.

The receiving game sucked.

The Steelers were being manhandled but the score didn't reflect it early. The Steelers has a few big plays and let the refs do the rest.

Manhandled? I'd agree their running game was hurting early, but it picked up in the second half, Ben made the big plays he needed (both ways ;) ), and their D was everywhere. I saw the Seahawks complete a few passes early, then forget how to throw the ball almost the entire rest of the game. I've never seen Hassleback have to scramble like that before, but then again, I've only seen a handful of the Seahawks' games.

mrowl
2/7/2006, 11:23 AM
Manhandled? I'd agree their running game was hurting early, but it picked up in the second half, Ben made the big plays he needed (both ways ;) ), and their D was everywhere. I saw the Seahawks complete a few passes early, then forget how to throw the ball almost the entire rest of the game. I've never seen Hassleback have to scramble like that before, but then again, I've only seen a handful of the Seahawks' games.

the ball was thrown great, a number of times, but WR's holding onto the ball is a different story.

SteelCitySooner
2/7/2006, 12:09 PM
If the fix was in, explain to me why Jeremy Stephen's catch and fumble was ruled an incomplete pass. If the fix was in, why was the "going to Hines Ward's helmet" penatly called but then reversed? If the fix was in, why was the Hasselbeck 4th quarter fumble called and then reversed after the replay? After all, the referee is the one who has final say even after looking at the replay.
This is what sports has come to. We can't just have champions anymore, the other team has to cry about it to the point that it looks "tainted". Whatever. All of the calls could have gone either way. The Roethlisberger touchdown could have gone either way. I read someone mentioning the pylon touchdown at the end of the half my Daryl Jackson. You've got to be kidding me. He only had one foot in bounds and he landed to the right of the pylon. The two disputed holding calls WERE holding calls. James Farrior was grabbed around the neck on the one in the beginning of the game. So what if the Seahawks gained a first down? The official calling holding at the time didn't know what the outcome of the play was going to be. He just knew he saw blatant holding. Same with the holding call in the 4th quarter. Haggans was being grabbed by the arm because he clearly beat the right tackle. The official had no clue that the play was going to be a completion down to the 2 yard line. He just knew that he saw holding. The pushing off penalty might have been ticky tacky, but so are most pass interference calls. And he wasn't influenced by Chris Hope to throw the flag. You could see him reaching for his flag, missing, and grabbing it before throwing it.

The Steelers are the champions of the football world and no amount of crying is going to change that. Everyone acts like the Seahawks overwhelmingly outplayed the Steelers. Hello, they outgained Pittsburgh by 57 yards. They got like 50 yards on their last drive while the Steelers were in prevent. If the Seahawks clearly outplayed the Steelers then why didn't they make any big plays except the interception? Oh and by the way, if a "fix" was in on this game, the referees would have called the Hawks for clipping on the interception return because Big Ben got pancaked from behind right in front of all the refs and nothing was called.

History won't show that Pittsburgh was the most "fraudulant" champion ever, it'll just show that Pittsburgh was the 2005 World Champions. If anyone remembers back to 2001, the Rams were crying after they lost to the Patriots and people called the Patriots victory tainted, well, all history shows now is that victory was the start of New England's dynasty.