PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl / National Anthem

Tiptonsooner
2/5/2006, 06:14 PM
Total butcher job of our national anthem. That sucked.

TopDaugIn2000
2/5/2006, 06:15 PM
beat me to it

yikes

Tiptonsooner
2/5/2006, 06:16 PM
Great minds and all that...........

SoonerBorn68
2/5/2006, 06:19 PM
Heh, I'm listening to my MP3 collection. I just listened to the National Anthlem ala John Philip Susa...the way it should be played.

I learned a while back I'd rather listen to a cat cough up hairballs than to listen to the national anthem during the Super Bowl.

Triumph
2/5/2006, 06:20 PM
Worst. Anthem. Evar.

SoonerBorn68
2/5/2006, 06:23 PM
Glad I missed it then. Who the hell did it anyway?

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 06:24 PM
Terrible.

oumartin
2/5/2006, 07:10 PM
it was like a rosanna barr butcher job..
total crap

OUDL-X
2/5/2006, 08:19 PM
Worst. Anthem. Evar.

Clearly you weren't at the Independence bowl...nor TCU in '98. Lee Roy Parnell = worst. anthem. ever.

The dude had to have been drinking at Billy Bob's before the game.

OUthunder
2/5/2006, 08:19 PM
So is the halftime show.

NickZeppelin
2/5/2006, 08:22 PM
It's not the worst I've ever heard. I've actually heard people not know the words. I R-E-S-P-E-C-T Aretha but that was bad.

One that was definatly worse was Roseanne's National Anthem. But I've seen a few over the last few years at baseball games that the singer wasn't singing the song in tune or singing the right words.

jk the sooner fan
2/5/2006, 08:23 PM
whats funny is that they spoofed the anthem on SNL last nite, and Horatio Sanz must have seen rehearsals because he nailed Aaron Neville's part...

tbl
2/5/2006, 08:34 PM
I thought the SNL version was better. At least on that version they had a separate seat for Neville's cocoa butter. The worst anthem I've ever seen. If they wanted to give N'Orleans more charity, they should have had Harry Connick do something.

NormanPride
2/5/2006, 10:25 PM
whats funny is that they spoofed the anthem on SNL last nite, and Horatio Sanz must have seen rehearsals because he nailed Aaron Neville's part...

we watched that! horatio never loses it on that show and even he was cracking up.

i'd say of the one today and the one last night, last night's was better.

get a clue nfl - have the armed forces do it every year!

RacerX
2/5/2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah, it's so much better when everyone yells home of the Sooners...:rolleyes:

critical_phil
2/5/2006, 11:03 PM
horatio never loses it on that show and even he was cracking up.

losing it is half of horatio's schtick....

OUstud
2/5/2006, 11:07 PM
we watched that! horatio never loses it on that show and even he was cracking up.

Uh...did you see any Horatio/Jimmy Fallon skits? Neither were funny, and they just cracked themselves up.

Get rid of Sanz, Poehler, and the writers, and SNL=good.

chriscappel
2/5/2006, 11:11 PM
I dont understand what is so wrong about the TRADITIONAL music....It just blows my mind

OU-HSV
2/5/2006, 11:12 PM
I figure she took her own buss to the game

tbl
2/5/2006, 11:25 PM
That's what I was thinking. Sanz ALWAYS loses it, especially when Fallon was on there.

You can't take away one of Jimmy Fallons great skits. The Barry Gibb talkshow is one of the funniest skits they've ever had on the show, and I stand by that.

As of late, the writers are the main problem, not to mention Lorne Michaels for letting so much crap get through. That new chick and the Target skit is AWFUL, as well as everything else. They have maybe 1 funny skit per show now, and that can be a stretch. This is the cycle with SNL. All the super talented writers and cast have gone on to other things and nobody is really standing out currently. The cast is decent IMO, but the skits are atrocious.

jk the sooner fan
2/5/2006, 11:26 PM
i'm glad i'm not the only one who notices that Sanz never stays in character.....i think he's awful, and thats one of the reasons why

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2006, 11:41 PM
That was so freaking bad tonight. I mean just...horrible.
Horrible.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2006, 12:09 AM
Who thinks warbling is good singing? That is why I can't stand current R&B music, pop music, American Idol, or anything else of that genre. Hit a note and stick it! There is no musicality to warbling. Why people think they have to jack with the tune of the National Anthem, I have no idea. Sing the tune as it was written and play a Sousa march.

I'm glad I didn't watch the stupid bowl.

SicEmBaylor
2/6/2006, 12:59 AM
Anyone hear ever heard the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing the National Anthem including the last verse? Now THAT is how you sing the National Anthem. And I've become a huge advocate of singing that last verse.

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/6/2006, 04:35 AM
they weren't as bad as rosie o'donnell, but they weren't far away. freakin' horrible.

sendbaht
2/6/2006, 10:26 AM
I loved the hafe time show. The Stones still can get it on. Good for them!

Landthief 1972
2/6/2006, 10:33 AM
I am so friggin' sick of every singing hack, right down to Susie High Schooler at a local football game thinking every third note needs to slide up and down four octaves to sound "professional." All the tells me is that you can't hold a note worth a sh*t. The worst part is that most people can't do it right to begin with when they do the slider.

BoomerJack
2/6/2006, 10:35 AM
I didn't see the National Anthem last night nor hardly any of the game for that matter, and from this thread, I'm glad.

It's one of the things I don't like about the telecasts of a lot of these post-season athletic contests. A big name entertainer is brought in to sing the Natonal Anthem and it seems they always foul it up in some way.

A previous poster mentioned Lee Roy Parnell at the TCU game in Ft. Worth. I was there too and it was the worst rendition I have witnessed, in person or on the tube.

Red October
2/6/2006, 11:40 AM
they weren't as bad as rosie o'donnell, but they weren't far away. freakin' horrible.

Dont you mean Roseanne Barr?

TUSooner
2/6/2006, 11:50 AM
Heh, I'm listening to my MP3 collection. I just listened to the National Anthlem ala John Philip Sousa...the way it should be played.

I learned a while back I'd rather listen to a cat cough up hairballs than to listen to the national anthem during the Super Bowl.
AMEN!!!!
<begin rant>
Of course, everything is so hyperhyped at the Hyperbowl that it makes me wanna barf:
First there's a two-week-long-pre-pregame show where everything that can be said is repeated by every talking head at least twice, and countless things that don't need to be said are said anyway, many times.
Second, there's the actual game day pregame show that lasts all day and here all the crap of the last two weeks is compacted and regurgitated.
Next: Hideous pregame ceremonies culminating in the aforementioned insult to the United States at the hands of celebrities song-butcher and a completely overdone coin toss surrounded by more officla wiotnesses than an execution.
Oh, the game. This year was a shameless Pittsburg love-fest by ABC who just couldn't stop slobbering over the Steelers. Who was Pittsburg playing? The Washington Generals? I don't mind Pittsburg winning, but I really wanted Seattle to derail ABC's fairy-tale.
In the middle of the game - the hideous half-time, which - I don't care if it IS Paul McCartney or the Rolling Stones - is still just an interruption of the game and lasts about 25 minutes too long.
Then after the game - semi-literate athletes proclaiming "I couldn't have DID it wiffout my teammates" and <gag> <barf> ..... I can't stand it.

The good news is that our national attention span is so short that the postgame postmortems will be over by the end of the ProBowl next week. <end rant>

ucosooner
2/6/2006, 03:29 PM
The Independance Bowl was the worst I heard. Everything about last night was bad. Pregame, the game itself, halftime, the rest of the game. I was more excited about the Stones than anything, and I felt let down. Something about the whole thing just didn't sound right.

By the way, I agree with the poster about Jimmy Fallon's Barry Gibb Talk Show skit. Very Hilarious.